Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by TheMix »

It must have been mentioned at least once. I recognized the trailer. But I rarely go on Amazon, so I'm reasonably certain I didn't stumble on it there. However, I would agree that there has not been a discussion. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Searched the thread, so if I missed it, the new Bosch Spinoff Bosch: Legacy has been out on Amazon's freetv (or whatever). It's still good - maybe even better as they subtracted most of the Police Dept soap opera. The commercials aren't bad, but they do get a bit longer as you get deeper into the series. Still mostly about a minute of commercials at a time.

Note, it's a bit tough to find, as it doesn't just pop up as a recommendation if you've watched Bosch (dumb on their part). If you use the search bar for Bosch, you can find it pretty easy tho and then it will be in your "Continue Watching" list.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:15 am Just watched the first episode of the new Kids in the Hall series.
So great to see them, actually more than I'd like to, back.
Them there Canucks got balls.........literally,

:shock:
I've watched the first couple of episodes. They've done a nice job of keeping their original feel while upping the (male) nudity and profanity. Nothing revolutionary, so I don't know how much buzz it's going to get and whether it will get a second season, but it's solid and doesn't so far feel like nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

For some reason I'm really enjoying how they updated the opening credits, although I have had the theme song buzzing around my head for a few days now.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just want an update on Rod Torfulson's Armada featuring Herman Menderchuk.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:57 am
stimpy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:15 am Just watched the first episode of the new Kids in the Hall series.
So great to see them, actually more than I'd like to, back.
Them there Canucks got balls.........literally,

:shock:
I've watched the first couple of episodes. They've done a nice job of keeping their original feel while upping the (male) nudity and profanity. Nothing revolutionary, so I don't know how much buzz it's going to get and whether it will get a second season, but it's solid and doesn't so far feel like nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.

For some reason I'm really enjoying how they updated the opening credits, although I have had the theme song buzzing around my head for a few days now.
Yeah....end of the day I'm sure it was a welcome return for fans, but not sure how well it translates or holds up these days.
They tried to be edgy, but the times have changed.
What was once outrageous is now eh.
Still, I enjoyed it for what it is.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:43 pm Searched the thread, so if I missed it, the new Bosch Spinoff Bosch: Legacy has been out on Amazon's freetv (or whatever). It's still good - maybe even better as they subtracted most of the Police Dept soap opera. The commercials aren't bad, but they do get a bit longer as you get deeper into the series. Still mostly about a minute of commercials at a time.

Note, it's a bit tough to find, as it doesn't just pop up as a recommendation if you've watched Bosch (dumb on their part). If you use the search bar for Bosch, you can find it pretty easy tho and then it will be in your "Continue Watching" list.
There's a thread for this! :)

I agree it might even be better. The production values held up, they've really dropped some emotional bombs about Harry's background, we get a different favor of the police BS in the form of Maddie's journey, and the story is really solid. It was a refreshing shake up.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Finished Night Sky.
Spoiler:
So, the pace never picks up. But enough of the threads begin to come together stating around episode four that I found it quite compelling. The final episode doesn't answer many questions, but it does move the characters forward as well as providing compelling cliffhangers. It hasn't been renewed yet, and I don't believe it's worth anyone's time unless it is... whether you're willing to take the risk now is up to you.

This is a type of show that's much less common these days, at least in terms of what I'm familiar with. There's a certain artistry to its gentle pace and character development, even if I got tired of seeing Sissy Spacek tear up every five minutes. There's an old-fashioned science fiction tale lurking beneath the surface; the final shot looks like a 60s book cover. If the series does continue, I feel like season two will be a great departure in terms of tone. That may be a good thing. But I think it may be a challenge to keep some of the characters relevant.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I finished it Friday and I pretty much agree with everything you wrote.
Spoiler:
It wasn’t a big twist type ending, but the city on that planet was not what I expected. It was definitely interesting though, and I hope they get a second season to explore it, as well as the nature of the guardians.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not really my thing, but it’s surprisingly entertaining (at least the first few eps).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:28 am Finished Night Sky.
So has anyone who watched season 1 as it's been cancelled. That's too bad. I was curious about the reveals from the last episode.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:33 am
Sudy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:28 am Finished Night Sky.
So has anyone who watched season 1 as it's been cancelled. That's too bad. I was curious about the reveals from the last episode.
For season 2 they had planned an invasion by cartoons, led by animated J. K. Simmons.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Finished The Terminal List.

Enjoyed it for what it is, but it took a little while to get where it was going and it could have used a bit more villain development.

I did really like the Marin County stuff as a local tho.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Binged the entire thing yesterday. I enjoyed it but had a few nitpicks.
Spoiler:

1. In the real world, he would likely have been arrested immediately for the murder of his wife and daughter.
Instead he's allowed to run around with no apparent interrogation from local law enforcement.

2. I had a sneaking suspicion Ben was going to be involved somehow. Too bad that suspicion turned out to be accurate.

3. I think they leaned a little too heavily into the "is he hallucinating all this" aspects. I get the unreliable narrator angle but it got tiresome. Though I will admit, I did like the last episode with he and his buddies rolling backwards off the boat but there only being the one splash.
Otherwise, yeah, it was enjoyable but could have just as easily been a two hour movie with a lot of the fat trimmed out.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Brian wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:33 pm Binged the entire thing yesterday. I enjoyed it but had a few nitpicks.
Spoiler:

1. In the real world, he would likely have been arrested immediately for the murder of his wife and daughter.
Instead he's allowed to run around with no apparent interrogation from local law enforcement.

2. I had a sneaking suspicion Ben was going to be involved somehow. Too bad that suspicion turned out to be accurate.

3. I think they leaned a little too heavily into the "is he hallucinating all this" aspects. I get the unreliable narrator angle but it got tiresome. Though I will admit, I did like the last episode with he and his buddies rolling backwards off the boat but there only being the one splash.
Otherwise, yeah, it was enjoyable but could have just as easily been a two hour movie with a lot of the fat trimmed out.
Agree on all three points, tho:
Spoiler:
1) they wanted him dead, not in custody, so that does make more sense viewed through that lens, especially as they owned the NCIS agent in charge of the investigation
2) Ben being CIA and there being no red-herrings made this crystal clear. I did like the resolution of it in the end tho.
3) Yeah, that did drag on, especially in the first 2+ episodes. Ep1 was a bit tiresome until the final 10 minutes or so due to this.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got to see The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension the other day so Im happy. Its one of my favorite movies out of the 1980s. I got to see so many whacky movies as a teen in the 80s its silly.

Now I need to see if they have Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone and also Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn. Two movies which Ive confused for each other or as one single movie since the 80s. Saw both in theaters in the day in red and blue glasses 3d.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The Terminal List reinforced my belief that Chris Pratt has one type of character he is good at playing. And only one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

McNutt wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:51 pm The Terminal List reinforced my belief that Chris Pratt has one type of character he is good at playing. And only one.
Is it a lovable goofball? Ive only seen him in GotG and a little bits and pieces of JP. Not seen Passengers or anything.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Bingo
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read that Amazon has Paramount+, Starz, and a bunch of other services on sale this week for $.99/mo for two months. Two months is about what it should take me to catch up on Star Trek.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They've got 4 seasons of Discovery, 2 seasons of PIcard (although you can skip season 2), 2 seasons of Lower Decks, and 1 season of Strange New Worlds. Get a portopotty and set it next to the couch in the living room, you're in for a long ride.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:26 am They've got 4 seasons of Discovery, 2 seasons of PIcard (although you can skip season 2), 2 seasons of Lower Decks, and 1 season of Strange New Worlds. Get a portopotty and set it next to the couch in the living room, you're in for a long ride.
We've already seen all but the last seasons of Discovery and Picard, and SNW. So really only subscribing for SNW and Discovery S4, but we'll watch Picard since it's there.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Interface overhaul incoming! (long overdue, too!)
Prime Video has never been the most elegant or intuitive app. Its user experience lacks the polish of those competitors and feels more cobbled together. There are good aspects to what’s there — like the long-standing X-Ray feature that shows cast information and other trivia facts whenever content is paused. But Prime Video hasn’t received a significant overhaul or rethinking in many years.

At long last, that changes today. Starting now and continuing over the next couple weeks, Amazon will roll out a new Prime Video experience for Android and connected living room devices, including smart TVs, Fire TV streaming hardware, Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, and game consoles. Amazon says the experience has been designed to be “less busy and overwhelming for our customers.” The result, frankly, is something that looks a whole lot like Netflix. And maybe that’s for the best.
Some devices may not get it:
After this initial phase of the rollout, the new Prime Video design will come to iOS and the web in the coming months. However, not all hardware will be able to run the redesigned experience. The PlayStation 3 and third-generation Apple TV from 2012, for example, won’t be updated. In cases where devices don’t get the new version, they’ll stick with what they’ve got currently and will continue to provide access to Prime Video into the future

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I thought the whole point of their crappy design was to mix things that are included with Prime and things that aren't, to trick you into buying stuff...
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I love X-Ray except when it spoils the current scene. And I also experience an annoying bug on Android in which Prime will only allow me to pause/rewind so many times before I need to restart the app. :angry-cussingwhite:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I read that the redesign will look and feel a lot like Netflix. I hope not. Netflix is too hyperactive. It hates silence and insists on playing something at all times. YOU WILL BE ENTERTAINED.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nothing could be worse than the mess that is the current interface.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:29 pm Nothing could be worse than the mess that is the current interface.
Yeah, they went from ‘ok, but not very good’ to ‘shitty’.

And agree with the above that it feels like it’s an intentional ‘gotcha!’ play.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that product update meeting. ‘So you see, Dan, we’re just going to COMBINE ALL content into one jumbled mess and make it all look the same, so when DumDum McSofasitter drools at a certain title he wants to watch, he’ll have clicked on it and watched the trailer by the time he realized we’ve TRICKED HIM! Stupid mouth breather won’t know what hit him! ‘
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It originally felt like they just dumped it all into a regular Amazon store page. After that, yeah, it was just a confusing mess. You can't tell what you actually have access to or not,and while I have never paid for something accidentally, it gets old actually having to check each listing one by one to find out whether you have to pay separately for it. And the fact that they list each season of each show separately instead of just listing the show is a huge pain.

Given the poor selection that they offer, I generally avoid using it unless there is something very specific to watch there that I go in specifically looking for. I don't ever just browse the way I do with other services.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
JCC

Post by JCC »

Everyone should copy the Netflix interface. Yes, the auto-play previews are annoying but it always has been and still is the best interface of all the streaming services. Prime (which I had well before they had streaming video) and Netflix are my only "constant" subscriptions. Netflix is by far the most expensive. At some point, (assuming they keep increasing the price) they are going to be relegated to part time like all the others.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I've long disabled all auto-play previews on Netflix, it's annoying.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:22 pm It originally felt like they just dumped it all into a regular Amazon store page. After that, yeah, it was just a confusing mess. You can't tell what you actually have access to or not,and while I have never paid for something accidentally, it gets old actually having to check each listing one by one to find out whether you have to pay separately for it. And the fact that they list each season of each show separately instead of just listing the show is a huge pain.

Given the poor selection that they offer, I generally avoid using it unless there is something very specific to watch there that I go in specifically looking for. I don't ever just browse the way I do with other services.
There is a toggle that is “Free to me” that I flick on to cut to the chase.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gilraen wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:04 pm I've long disabled all auto-play previews on Netflix, it's annoying.
You can do this in the Amazon Prime app now as well - there's an Autoplay setting in, well, settings ;).

I logged in to my xBox Amazon Prime last night, but no update yet (and that's why I was in Settings, looking to see if there was a way to force the update...)

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Samaritan with Sylvester Stallone........
No. Just.........no.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I sat through it all. Not sure why. I mean, the twist was pretty obvious from the opening credits. And the story is just a lame attempt to latch onto the popularity of superhero films.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

trailer for William Gibson's _The Peripheral_