Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:44 pm Just a reminder The Peripheral episode 1 came out today.

Edit: This just in: There are two episodes up, and this show is excellent!
Watching first episode now. I didn’t realize Jack Reynor is in it. He’s one of my favorite young actors (let’s forget that at one point he was in a Transformers movie….with that talent void that is Mark Wahlberg). He was so damn good in the Irish movie Sing Street.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hepcat wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:56 pm If it is mostly VR stuff, then I'll probably tune out after 5 minutes. I really dislike that entire genre, with the very rare exception of a few attempts. I have the same issue with movies that take place in dreamscapes.
i don't think this is an actual spoiler, but
Spoiler:
it's not that at all
two episodes in. maaany changes and rearrangements from the novel, and they definitely dumbed it down (explicitly revealing things you were intended to figure out yourself, and i had to restart the book once just to get my bearings - and i'm someone who has read _everything_ Gibson has released in print). they made Wilf more competent/assured, but Flynn is a pretty good casting choice. it keeps the spirit of the story, anyways.

this is an actual spoiler:
Spoiler:
i hope they go into more explanation of the communication between the two timelines, as i found the explanation unexpectedly fascinating. my interpretation - the 'past/near future' is running on basically a reaaalllly fancy quantum computer 'alternate universe' server as a VM in the 'far future', and the communication methods are kinda equivalent between the sophisticated 'host' and the ways it can (really) affect the hosted VM reality, and the primitive output communication from the 'hosted'
if this does well, i wouldn't be surprised to see _Agency_ get this same treatment. i think that adaptation could be pretty fun.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Did not know a sequel was out. Placed a hold at the local library.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Damn, “The English” with Emily Blunt and Chaske Spencer is hands down the best Western since Lonesome Dove. Their performances are outstanding.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Was just going to come here and post the same. It’s quite good. Not sure I would compare it to Lonesome Dove though. The tone is very different. It’s more Hell on Wheels in style, story and execution. Which is great for those of us who loved Hell on Wheels.

I love how they frame their shots. Rarely do you get a sense of just how big and open the American frontier was back then from the cinematography in many westerns. The English though frequently makes use of wide, expansive shots that feature signs of humanity as small shapes against a vast horizon. It’s beautifully done.

Also, stick Toby Jones in a show and the odds of me watching it go up exponentially.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:40 pm Was just going to come here and post the same. It’s quite good. Not sure I would compare it to Lonesome Dove though. The tone is very different. It’s more Hell on Wheels in style, story and execution. Which is great for those of us who loved Hell on Wheels.
I was talking comparatively about genre, not in tone. The extent of my comparison is that they are both westerns and both great. I’m not comparing tone. 2001 A Space Odyssey and Alien are both great sci-fi but they are nothing alike in tone. One is more contemplative and intellectual while the other is sheer terror.
I love how they frame their shots. Rarely do you get a sense of just how big and open the American frontier was back then from the cinematography in many westerns. The English though frequently makes use of wide, expansive shots that feature signs of humanity as small shapes against a vast horizon. It’s beautifully done.
Yes, I was repeatedly struck by this also, they do this a lot and very well.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I finally watched the first episode of Peripheral. I really like it, but it suffers from "I don't think we'll actually be that advanced in ten years". (Similar to the great Looper, or you know, any near-future science fiction story ever that doesn't involve a believable singularity.) In the credits I saw this was based on Gibson. I'm guessing they may be being faithful to source text that was published more than a few years ago? I'm not going to look it up, but who knows, maybe it's more recent. I skimmed an earlier post (not reading the whole thing for fear of spoilers), and I agree the VR stuff is done well, but doesn't feel "fresh". Maybe I was just fantastically unimpressed with Ready Player One and am tired of the often poor implementations of this trope over the past 30 years. Though obviously it's as relevant now as ever.

I love the design of the future-city with its monstrous Dredd-sized structures in the form of elegant yet creepy marble sculptures.

Spoiler:
Unholy fuck, eyeball.... That's worse than Minority Report and Clockwork Orange put together.

Edit:
hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:05 pm I didn’t realize Jack Reynor is in it. He’s one of my favorite young actors (let’s forget that at one point he was in a Transformers movie….with that talent void that is Mark Wahlberg).
He's a real Amell/Hemsworth-brothers-type. Delightfully '10s-unmemorable.

You know, we butt heads often enough hepcat. But our hatred of Mark Wahlberg will always be our bond.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What is "Delightfully '10s-unmemorable"? :?
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Amell/Hemsworth-brothers-types.

Poor Luke is best of the bunch but he's so damn short he must be miserable.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So it's not an insult? It is an insult? It's a proclamation of love? Disinterest? It's a new way of saying you have a rash?

I'm still not clear on the slang you kids today are using. It's all "52 skidoo" and "10's unmemorable".
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It's an insult in the sense that "his favourite beverage is tap water" is. Ain't nothing wrong with tap water....

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's mostly worked in Irish and UK cinema, so you probably haven't encountered him before. He's built a rather impressive filmography overseas though. Glassland, What Richard Did, the 2015 adaptation of Macbeth, the aforementioned Sing Street....he's done some impressive work. He's dipped his toes in American cinema/tv though. Mostly forgettable stuff, but he was in Midsommar. I wouldn't call him bland as he's proven he has range.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

First impression. I'm not damning him to hell or anything.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I saw your online blog so I know you have though. I believe your exact words were "I hate Jack Reynor with the heat of a thousand suns and I condemn him to whatever circle of hell contains the most tap water! Also, I admit that season 2 and after of Star Trek Discovery was good, but I refuse to admit that in public!"

...then the rest of the site just contains doodles of a character you call "Mr. Handsy the King of Dental Hygiene".
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

He's kind of the Biscuitdoughhandsman of the Time Cube era.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Goddamnit. You had to bring Time Cubes into this, didn't you.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:44 pm Just a reminder The Peripheral episode 1 came out today.

Edit: This just in: There are two episodes up, and this show is excellent!
I was at that point where I was forcing myself to finish it. Then episode 6 gave us Inspector Lowbeer and now all I want is a spin off series featuring her character and Beatrice solving crimes like Colombo.
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

I rented a movie on Amazon Prime called Sniper: The White Raven. It is a Ukranian movie from 2021 before the Russian invasion. Most of it is horrible cliched but it also contained elements I had not seen it other war movies. Such as the tediousness of crawling hours dragging your gear through hostile land expecting instant death against agents that have spent their lives training in such business. The script was nothing special but it did ring something in me enough to post about it and maybe you lot will like it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:27 pm Then episode 6 gave us Inspector Lowbeer and now all I want is a spin off series featuring her character and Beatrice solving crimes like Colombo.
I'm with you. Something about her has me wanting a lot more of her. She's weird as all-get-out and I find that so awesome. Obviously, it's connected to her transgender-hood - I'm transfixed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had to read the wiki on Alexandra Billings.
She’s had a fascinating but hard journey.
. She’s also pretty inspirational.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Unagi wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:09 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:27 pm Then episode 6 gave us Inspector Lowbeer and now all I want is a spin off series featuring her character and Beatrice solving crimes like Colombo.
I'm with you. Something about her has me wanting a lot more of her. She's weird as all-get-out and I find that so awesome. Obviously, it's connected to her transgender-hood - I'm transfixed.
Lowbeer is rather well portrayed in this series and 'close enough' to the book image in my mind. she also plays a major role in the sequel (and i assume, the whole trilogy, when finished).

for those of you who haven't read the book, the storyline/plot/characters/etc of the show has diverged _wildly_ from the source material. by the mid-end of the first season, NONE of the current subplots or happenings are in the novel. it's like Peter Jackson The Hobbit 'add-random-stuff-to-stretch-this-out-as-much-as-possible'.

(Gibson did say to consider the show as 'another alternate stub' but i still can't get past it.)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Season 2 of Vox Machina.

Hell yeah.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just saw a great Korean movie out there called Hansan:Rising Dragon. About a real life naval battle between Korea and Japan. Really good special effects. Of course the real battle doesn't get going til 2/3 the way thru the movie. Lots better than those kung foo movies.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

South Korea makes some really good war films. Especially historical. I'll have to put this on my list.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Regardless of what the internet feels about Geralt and Superman, it appears that Henry Cavill is moving on to another bucket list project.

Henry Cavill’s Next Play: ‘Warhammer 40,000’ Series for Amazon
Henry Cavill may not be donning a red cape, but he does have a cool new gig.

The actor — who Wednesday officially hung up his Man of Steel cape after Warner Bros. announced it is going in a new Superman direction thanks to DC Studio heads James Gunn and Peter Safran — is attached to star in and executive produce a series adaptation of Warhammer 40,000, the popular science fiction fantasy miniature war game that is set up at Amazon.

Amazon is in final talks for the rights to the game, produced by Games Workshop, after months of negotiations and fending off rival companies that also sought the rights.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

He's going for it: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmOoVoqsWAw/
Henry Cavill wrote:For 30 years I have dreamt of seeing a Warhammer universe in live action. Now, after 22 years of experience in this industry, I finally feel that I have the skill set and experience to guide a Warhammer Cinematic Universe into life. Partnering with Natalie Viscuso at Vertigo has been a blessing beyond words, without her we might not have found the perfect home at Amazon. And having a home like Amazon will give us the freedom to be true to the massive scope of Warhammer. To all of you Warhammer fans out there, I promise to respect this IP that we love. I promise to bring you something familiar. And I endeavour to bring you something fantastic that is, as of yet, unseen.

Our first steps are to find our Filmmaker/Creator/Writer. Watch this space, my friends.

For The Emperor!

#Warhammer
@WarhammerOfficial
@AmazonStudios
@PrimeVideo
@NViscuso
#Vertigo
You know who would be the perfect Filmmaker/Creator/Writer for the grimdark future of WH40K?

Zack Snyder. :coffee:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:58 am South Korea makes some really good war films. Especially historical. I'll have to put this on my list.
They make a lot of good movies in general. They all typically end up with everyone dying, perfect for a war movie.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We’re discussing Korean movies and it made me go look on Amazon to see if they had The Swordsman. They do. And it’s on prime to boot. One of my favorite movies from Korea.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:23 am We’re discussing Korean movies and it made me go look on Amazon to see if they had The Swordsman. They do. And it’s on prime to boot. One of my favorite movies from Korea.
It's not available on Amazon here in Canada, but it is on Tubi: https://tubitv.com/movies/649969/the-swordsman

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:10 am Just saw a great Korean movie out there called Hansan:Rising Dragon. About a real life naval battle between Korea and Japan. Really good special effects. Of course the real battle doesn't get going til 2/3 the way thru the movie. Lots better than those kung foo movies.
Watched it last night. The first hour and a half I was constantly referring to a wiki page on that time period so I could understand the players and the motivations. Without that resource, I would have been lost (I imagine Korean kids know all this stuff by heart as I assume it's taught in grade school history even). But then the giant battle happens and it's just nail-biting minute after nail-biting minute.

I do question the actual usefulness of the tactic Yi uses to defeat the Japanese navy in the big battle scene. But I'm guessing it's a movie adaptation of what the actual tactic was.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

At that period of time I would have thought the Koreans would have used more turtle ships. But as the movie was presented to be historical I assume the way they showed it was the way they did it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just finished watching the third season of Jack Ryan. He saves the world. Above average.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:13 pm Just finished watching the third season of Jack Ryan. He saves the world. Above average.
I just finished as well. I enjoyed it. I'd rank the seasons from best to least best as 1, 3, 2..
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Really disappointed in the new Jack Ryan season. I didn't like last season because the plot was just dumb, and this one is even worse:
Spoiler:
1) The plot revolves around a undetectable nuclear bomb that the Russians have. Their plan, based upon a 1970's plan is to foment social unrest in the West through various means, then set off the bomb causing enough chaos/confusion that they can invade and reach the Rhine River in 7 days. This is just incredibly dumb.

That was a risky plan in the 1970's but it would be impossible now. First off, even ignoring what we know now from Ukraine about the Russian army, there's no way they could reach the Rhine River in any amount of time, much less 7 days. They're not starting from East Germany, they're starting from Russia, they have to cross Ukraine, Poland and Germany. That's impossible in 7 days, and the Russian army wasn't capable of that type of offensive, even based upon what we thought we knew before Ukraine. Any such buildup would be seen by NATO satellites. And if the Russians invaded after a bomb went off, NATO would assume it was the Russians and retaliate. It's just a ridiculous scenario.

2) There is a side plot about tensions/negotiations between the Czech Republic and Russia about the stationing of NATO AA missile in the Czech Republic. But they totally ignore the fact that the CR is a member of NATO, and this would be a NATO decision. They talk about the CR stuck between the US/NATO and Russia but the CR is a member of NATO. And they talk about the Russians potentially invading the CR, ignoring that they don't have a border - Slovakia, another NATO nation is between them.

3) Lastly, and this is relatively minor but Ryan and a Spec Ops team board a ship in the Black Sea suspected of having the bomb on board. They get what they needed but escape to Greece, which isn't on the Black Sea. In fact they land not far from Athens. What did they do, drive their fast boat through the Dardanelles and into the Aegean, a trip of hundreds of miles?
I'm really thinking of just stopping because plot is so outlandish and just plain dumb.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

hepcat wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:23 am We’re discussing Korean movies and it made me go look on Amazon to see if they had The Swordsman. They do. And it’s on prime to boot. One of my favorite movies from Korea.
Apparently I'm quite far behind since I just saw this. Normally I'd leave it since it's almost a month ago but it's somewhat rare that we like the same movies, let alone love them. So, yeah, if you haven't seen The Swordsman go watch it. It's excellent.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:14 am Really disappointed in the new Jack Ryan season. I didn't like last season because the plot was just dumb, and this one is even worse:
Spoiler:
1) The plot revolves around a undetectable nuclear bomb that the Russians have. Their plan, based upon a 1970's plan is to foment social unrest in the West through various means, then set off the bomb causing enough chaos/confusion that they can invade and reach the Rhine River in 7 days. This is just incredibly dumb.

That was a risky plan in the 1970's but it would be impossible now. First off, even ignoring what we know now from Ukraine about the Russian army, there's no way they could reach the Rhine River in any amount of time, much less 7 days. They're not starting from East Germany, they're starting from Russia, they have to cross Ukraine, Poland and Germany. That's impossible in 7 days, and the Russian army wasn't capable of that type of offensive, even based upon what we thought we knew before Ukraine. Any such buildup would be seen by NATO satellites. And if the Russians invaded after a bomb went off, NATO would assume it was the Russians and retaliate. It's just a ridiculous scenario.

2) There is a side plot about tensions/negotiations between the Czech Republic and Russia about the stationing of NATO AA missile in the Czech Republic. But they totally ignore the fact that the CR is a member of NATO, and this would be a NATO decision. They talk about the CR stuck between the US/NATO and Russia but the CR is a member of NATO. And they talk about the Russians potentially invading the CR, ignoring that they don't have a border - Slovakia, another NATO nation is between them.

3) Lastly, and this is relatively minor but Ryan and a Spec Ops team board a ship in the Black Sea suspected of having the bomb on board. They get what they needed but escape to Greece, which isn't on the Black Sea. In fact they land not far from Athens. What did they do, drive their fast boat through the Dardanelles and into the Aegean, a trip of hundreds of miles?
I'm really thinking of just stopping because plot is so outlandish and just plain dumb.
Eh. I liked it overall. I didn't expect the plot to be perfect and I'm not analyzing every detail. Yeah, many things in it were dumb. Yes, it did detract from the show. But I enjoyed it. Didn't love it and it's the worst of the three seasons but I certainly wouldn't consider it unwatchable.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:53 pm
Apparently I'm quite far behind since I just saw this. Normally I'd leave it since it's almost a month ago but it's somewhat rare that we like the same movies, let alone love them. So, yeah, if you haven't seen The Swordsman go watch it. It's excellent.
I’m surprised you watched it, it’s only a 6.8 on IMDB. :twisted:

Joking aside, your next film to watch from Korea is a little gem called The Man from Nowhere.. It’s a bit older (2010) but it caused quite a stir with action film fans back then. I think it’s the film that made me start seeking out Korean movies.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

The Man From Nowhere is next for me, right after I finish up The Wailing.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Wailing is excellent....but VERY long. And VERY slow at times. I've got a feeling you're not going to like it.

But if you have the patience for a slowly building story that has some pretty great twists, it's a great film.

Note on The Man from Nowhere: it was the first film in a really long time (if ever) that I recall having somewhat realistic knife fights. In most films, they play out almost bloodlessly and more like choreographed kung fu. But in tMfN, they're friggin' brutal and bloody. You can see how it influenced John Wick while watching it.

And more importantly, there is an Indian remake from 2016 titled...and I kid you not...Rocky Handsome.
He won. Period.