Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by hepcat »

I don’t think he knows J.K. Simmons in real life, man.
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Alright. Just watched The Tomorrow War and I liked it. But. And this is a big BUT. You must leave your brain and logic at the door and be content with a big explode-y sci-fi movie with great casting. I just told myself that this was a live action cartoon and that seemed to work fine for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Popcorn movies are an enigma to me. Normally I would say that big and dumb is not what I want to see. I much prefer a film with a good story. Movies like the Underworld or Resident Evil franchises I just cannot watch.

But then something like Soldier or Con Air will completely entertain me. I still realize they're big and dumb, but it doesn't matter to me.

It's such a weird formula. :?

Edit: Did they just straight up steal the soundtrack for Xcom2 for this movie?
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just finished it and was very happy to see it end. This movie had the worst dialogue I've seen in a long time.

"If protecting my daughter means I have to save the world, then that's what I'm going to do."

That line was said with a straight face.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It feels very much like a video game movie.

Also, 38 minutes in and
Spoiler:
I think I see a twist with the daughter already.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I added it to my list this morning, then removed it after reading the review in the Globe. Specifically,
The time travel takes place courtesy of a wormhole or something. The details are never really discussed, which is probably just as well. The director, Chris McKay (the two “Lego Batman” movies) would seem to agree with that noted aficionado of action movies Ralph Waldo Emerson: “In skating over thin ice our safety is in our speed.”
when a movie gets as insensible as “The Tomorrow War” does, the degree of implausibility becomes a problem. It’s hard to skate, let alone skate fast, when the ice keeps disappearing. Nor does poor pacing help things. About two-thirds of the way in, there’s a big (big) climactic sequence that turns out to be . . . not the climax.
:lol:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My favorite movie review of all time was for a horror film from years ago. The reviewer opened with "are horror films supposed to be this relaxing?"
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I read a review that said this movie tries to copy about ten other science fiction movies. You'll know exactly what they're talking about as the movie progresses.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Where's Wahlberg?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He plays a very unconvincing park bench at the 23 minute mark. Park benches aren't supposed to talk. Come to think of it, neither is a Wahlberg.

One hour in and the movie just ripped off Starship Troopers. I suspect there will be many more examples of this before I come out the other end.

Also
Spoiler:
I was right about the twist with the daughter. Although I thought it would come at the end.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Watching hepcat's live reporting of the movie as it disintegrates is addictive.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

1 hour 20 minutes in and I just heard a plan that indicates to me that the scriptwriter is confusing time travel with regular old travel.

This is slow going because I have to stop every 15 minutes or so and just stare up at the ceiling while muttering "Christ...really?".
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

1 hour 32 and I'm going to honestly say I never expected to utter the line "where the hell did that cruise ship come from? " during a film. You usually don't see luxury ocean liners as a stealth weapon.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:51 pm I don’t think he knows J.K. Simmons in real life, man.
He was on the Today Show this morning but I missed it.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

1 hour 35 and we have a Hans Gruber death scene. Of course, I cared more for Hans than I do any of the heroes in this film.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Was it a quality kill?
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You can tell about 30 people had their hands in this story, and about 30 of them should not be allowed to work with film stories. It's bonkers and always makes the wrong choice. This is to JK Simmons what Jaws 4: The Revenge was to Michael Caine.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:53 pm Was it a quality kill?

Heh...quality.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:53 pm You can tell about 30 people had their hands in this story, and about 30 of them should not be allowed to work with film stories. It's bonkers and always makes the wrong choice. This is to JK Simmons what Jaws 4: The Revenge was to Michael Caine.
I think I've related this anecdote before, but Michael Caine was interviewed years after Jaws 4 and the reporter was trying to be a smart ass and asked Caine if he'd ever seen Jaws 4. He replied "No, but I have seen the house it bought me and it is beautiful. ".
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

1 hour 42 and you're going to start another side story, aren't you, movie? I was almost out, I thought. But you just had to do it.

Also, here is how all the characters are introduced: "This is Bob, he's a janitor...with a degree in chemical engineering from Stanford."
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

1 hour 50. Well, I guess if you're committed to ripping off other films, adding The Thing isn't a bad idea.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

You're not done ripping off yet.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup . 1 hour 54 minutes and we have Alien.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dear God, i made it.

I feel like I could take on Waterworld again after that.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It always bothers me to see a movie like that. A lot of money was spent on the production, yet they chose to greenlight the dumbest script possible. Why? Would it have cost a lot more to have even a decent story? There is no way the team read that script and said this is awesome. They just said "it will do." But why? Why put all that money into something that you know is complete shit? Sure, you could hire some unknown actor who gives a surprisingly incredible performance, but you can't take this story and have it surprisingly be good.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:34 pm Dear God, i made it.

I feel like I could take on Waterworld again after that.
The team thanks you for taking the bullet. The combination of Chris Pratt + time travel + alien invasion + free to watch almost got me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:39 pm It always bothers me to see a movie like that. A lot of money was spent on the production, yet they chose to greenlight the dumbest script possible. Why? Would it have cost a lot more to have even a decent story? There is no way the team read that script and said this is awesome. They just said "it will do." But why? Why put all that money into something that you know is complete shit? Sure, you could hire some unknown actor who gives a surprisingly incredible performance, but you can't take this story and have it surprisingly be good.
The Underworld and Resident Evil films still make bank. And those things make zero sense. The Fast and the Furious films are another example. Blockbusters tend to be dumb, so this is just par for the course.

And as I stated earlier, I can make fun of this film, but I really am a bit hypocritical as I will sit rooted to my chair any time I see Soldier or Con Air on television.

"Why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box?"
He won. Period.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I'm not saying the movie wasn't stupid. I just didn't care. :lol: The moment I realized that they were going to
Spoiler:
send untrained civilians into the future (wearing their street clothes) to fight aliens

was the moment I also realized that I needed to turn off 60-70% of my brain and have that 2nd glass of wine.

Another movie which is a guilty pleasure of mine is The Day After Tomorrow. At one point in that one the main characters run away from and then slam the door on . . . cold weather.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

my favorite was
Spoiler:
Pratt tells his daughter in the future that he's going to take the alien killing poison back to the past with him and stop all this from happening...then he's going to come back and help her fight the war against the aliens. You know, the ones he's going to stop in the past?
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I started watching Tomorrow War then decided to go to Wikipedia to get the plot rundown. That plus Hepcat's commentary made it feel like I've watched the movie!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just finished it. Hepcat's summary caught all the major points. I thought the first story could have been good if the writing was better and was entertained. The second story just had me chuckling and shaking my head at the stupidity. That being said, Simmons and Pratt were good when dropping one liners. The rest of the dialogue was so very bad.

It's based on a book...I'm kinda curious how close they stuck to it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

When I first saw the enemy I knew this movie was going to suck.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The enemy didn't bother me. Thought the way they fought was fairly interesting and the social structure was ok... If it had been developed more.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I didn't think the movie sucked, but I had to suspend my disbelief beyond my tolerance. Also, Pratt's character's inability to think coherently about anything when his daughter was involved did not help.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

There was enough action to keep my attention. Graphics were decent.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

McNutt wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:26 pm When I first saw the enemy I knew this movie was going to suck.
When I first saw him kick over the recycle bin and Wahlberg didn't pop out I knew it was going to suck.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I saw via Neil Gaiman's tweet this week that they announced a second series for Good Omens. It obviously won't have Pratchett's direct input anymore, but I have faith that Gaiman will put together a worthy sequel in the same spirit. After watching this as well as the two series of Staged on Hulu I will watch David Tennant and Michael Sheen together in anything.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I like the way "AngryReviews" puts it.
Spoiler:
Roughly paraphrased: None of it makes sense because the movie managed to include its own sequel, which undermined everything in the first 2/3rds of the movie.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, compared to a typical 80s/90s summer action flick, how was it?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Dumber than most.
It all felt too familiar. It is not a joke that they steal from lots of movies, so it was always letting me down.

Fast and Furious is also a dumb summer flick, but it doesn't take itself seriously and is intentionally ludicrous.

The Tomorrow War is just shit.