News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

It’s doubly true of your posts as I don’t speak Canadian.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

In other words, I can call you a Timbit and you wouldn't have any idea what I'm saying?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:41 am In other words, I can call you a Timbit and you wouldn't have any idea what I'm saying?
My jaw dropped like you just posted a picture of an exoplanet.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:07 pm I just came here to post about Arcane. I'm through the three available episodes (more hit this coming weekend) and think it's utterly fantastic so far.

The art style sucked me in immediately; looks almost painted. Music and sound are great, and at least for this first arc, the story is quite compelling. That may be in part due to the fact that it's a tale of two sisters and I'm watching with my older daughter, but I highly recommend giving the show a shot. I know very little of League of Legends, and it hasn't been a problem.

In short, I agree with Polygon's review.
Episodes 4-6 dropped this morning, and I'm just as hooked. This show is amazing. Even despite some embedded Imagine Dragons.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:41 am In other words, I can call you a Timbit and you wouldn't have any idea what I'm saying?
The subtitles told me it was some kind of food. But the crappy dubbed option said it was "some kind of combustible engine driven vehicle, eh". OO really needs to get a better dubbing service.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:03 am
The subtitles told me it was some kind of food. But the crappy dubbed option said it was "some kind of combustible engine driven vehicle, eh". OO really needs to get a better dubbing service.
In other words, you really have no idea what I'm saying :D

But nah, it's a donut hole, similar to a Dunkin Munchkin.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
telcta

Post by telcta »

Apologies if this has been mentioned before...

I'm really enjoying "The Movies That Made Us". They dropped Season 3 a couple weeks ago for halloween and YellowKing may enjoy some of the behind the scenes stuff to Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween. A lot of the content is probably well known if you're really into those specific movies but the way the episodes are written are entertaining. They basically use snippets from the movies to drive the narrative and put together a neat package about some popular movies. I liked the Halloween episode which went into some detail about the first use of Stedicams.

I'm finishing RoboCop and even though I know a lot about the making of this movie, there are always some things to learn. I have Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th to watch next.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yes The Movies That Made Us is awesome.

I love their humor-focused documentary style, which DisneyPlus lifted for its Behind the Attraction series (not sure if any of the same people are involved, but the tone is remarkably similar).
disarm

Post by disarm »

YellowKing wrote:Yes The Movies That Made Us is awesome.

I love their humor-focused documentary style, which DisneyPlus lifted for its Behind the Attraction series (not sure if any of the same people are involved, but the tone is remarkably similar).
'Behind the Attraction' on Disney+ is made by the same people. The humorous style is a big part of what make 'The Movies/Toys That Made Us' so great.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:35 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:03 am
In other words, you really have no idea what I'm saying :D

But nah, it's a donut hole, similar to a Dunkin Munchkin.
I could make out “Dunkin” in your post. Unless of course that’s a Canadian word that sounds similar to the donut franchise we have here in the English speaking world.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I am referring to the donut chain as a point of comparison an American would be more familiar with.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

Inside Job

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:43 pm I am referring to the donut chain as a point of comparison an American would be more familiar with.
Sorry, my dumb, ongoing joke about Canadians not speaking English isn’t going over well. :wink:
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:13 am Inside Job
I’ve watched a couple of episodes. It feels like they’re trying to mimic Rick and Morty…but unsuccessfully.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:49 am
Rumpy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:43 pm I am referring to the donut chain as a point of comparison an American would be more familiar with.
Sorry, my dumb, ongoing joke about Canadians not speaking English isn’t going over well. :wink:
No, I've heard you loud and clear. And I should be the sorry one for calling you a Timbit. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, from a distance my shape may cause you to think that....
He won. Period.
Tao

Post by Tao »

If you enjoy the behind the scenes movie stuff you should check out "Never Surrender", although it's on Amazon not Netflix. It's a documentary that takes a look back at Galaxy Quest and fandom as a whole as the movie neared it's 20 year anniversary. The movie also reinforces the notion that Alan Rickman was a treasure.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:40 pm Well, from a distance my shape may cause you to think that....
My vision is not the best at the moment, so I'm sure the distance has something to do with it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:07 pm I just came here to post about Arcane. I'm through the three available episodes (more hit this coming weekend) and think it's utterly fantastic so far.

The art style sucked me in immediately; looks almost painted. Music and sound are great, and at least for this first arc, the story is quite compelling. That may be in part due to the fact that it's a tale of two sisters and I'm watching with my older daughter, but I highly recommend giving the show a shot. I know very little of League of Legends, and it hasn't been a problem.

I just binged all 6 available episodes and it's fantastic. It's a bloody Greek tragedy in a lot of ways with rich backstories and a really fascinating world. Super excited for the next 3.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Malificent wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:20 am

I just binged all 6 available episodes and it's fantastic. It's a bloody Greek tragedy in a lot of ways with rich backstories and a really fascinating world. Super excited for the next 3.
I find your ideas intriguing and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously, I'm still hung up on this show, having watched the first 3 three times each and the latest three twice. It tops Spiderverse for me, which is saying something.

A relatively non-spoilery rave:

I know Imagine Dragons isn't everyone's cup of tea (myself included, though I do kind of like the Enemy theme song). The rest of the soundtrack is not disappointing...

A more spoilery discussion...
Spoiler:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Mr. Kim will play Uncle Iroh? Woohoo!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And we're absolutely sure it's 100 percent Wahlberg free, right?

I think all shows/movies should include a surgeon general's warning that it contains no Wahlberg.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:39 pm And we're absolutely sure it's 100 percent Wahlberg free, right?

I think all shows/movies should include a surgeon general's warning that it contains no Wahlberg.
Wouldn't the warning kick in if it DOES contain Wahlberg?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Oh good lord no...no, no, no. Why would someone try this again, seriously, because the last live action version of Airbender was so wonderful and successful? Last Airbender requires three key ingredients, Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko and a good dose of Aaron Ehasz. None of these folks are attached to the new project. I love Appa, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is great in Kim's Convenience, but Uncle Iroh, nope. With the bald head and the beard he has some physical resemblance to the character but Iroh, in addition to being a wise and caring person with deep spiritual roots, is also a hardened warrior and one of the most powerful benders in the world, he is the Dragon of the West. Iroh has the affectation of the portly old man but if you watch the show, much of that is a put on, especially in season 3 when he "get's serious". I am actively re-watching this series now, I am about half-way through season 3, this is a worse idea than Cowboy Bebop, mostly because it's already been tried. I like that Netflix is willing to experiment but stop messing with my favorite stuff.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:39 pm And we're absolutely sure it's 100 percent Wahlberg free, right?

Wouldn't the warning kick in if it DOES contain Wahlberg?
I think when we're talking about such a substantial danger, it's best to be overly cautious.
Tao wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm in addition to being a wise and caring person with deep spiritual roots, is also a hardened warrior and one of the most powerful benders in the world, he is the Dragon of the West. Iroh has the affectation of the portly old man but if you watch the show, much of that is a put on, especially in season 3 when he "get's serious".
He could...you know....act.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tao wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm I like that Netflix is willing to experiment but stop messing with my favorite stuff.
You could always...not watch.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have to admit that when I a huge fan of something, I also can get a little bent out of shape over remakes. I Am Legend, for example. That set me off. But only after I learned it was going to be a Will Smith movie.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tao wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm Oh good lord no...no, no, no. Why would someone try this again, seriously, because the last live action version of Airbender was so wonderful and successful? Last Airbender requires three key ingredients, Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko and a good dose of Aaron Ehasz. None of these folks are attached to the new project. I love Appa, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is great in Kim's Convenience, but Uncle Iroh, nope. With the bald head and the beard he has some physical resemblance to the character but Iroh, in addition to being a wise and caring person with deep spiritual roots, is also a hardened warrior and one of the most powerful benders in the world, he is the Dragon of the West. Iroh has the affectation of the portly old man but if you watch the show, much of that is a put on, especially in season 3 when he "get's serious".
I get the concern (especially given how the movie attempt turned out), but you're jumping the gun on these concerns. I'm willing to see what the current showrunners put out before judging it. (That said, my 'stoked' meter is significantly higher for the Avatar Studios stuff that is being developed by MDDM and BK.)

Especially the comments on Paul Sun-Hyung Lee--what, because he's played silly characters, he's by definition not up for Iroh? You know that even the 'real' Iroh role was split between two actors?
I am actively re-watching this series now, I am about half-way through season 3, this is a worse idea than Cowboy Bebop, mostly because it's already been tried. I like that Netflix is willing to experiment but stop messing with my favorite stuff.
I wouldn't say it's been tried. The movie is a travesty and was never a legit attempt to do the show justice.
stessier wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:06 pm
Tao wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm I like that Netflix is willing to experiment but stop messing with my favorite stuff.
You could always...not watch.
Winner.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cool new site that tracks Netflix's top content, and actually includes concrete numbers.

Happy to see that Arcane is #2 in 'TV' content for the week. I needs me a renewal, stat.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:57 pm Narcos: Mexico season 3 is now up. I’ll see you on the other side.
And done. I enjoyed it, although
Spoiler:
The side story about the ex cop in Mexico tracking down a serial killer felt completely disconnected from the rest of the season. I mean, they tried to tie it into the main story at the end, but by then it was too little, too late. I enjoyed the side story, and the actor was fantastic, but it just didn’t fit with the rest of the season.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:53 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:57 pm Narcos: Mexico season 3 is now up. I’ll see you on the other side.
And done. I enjoyed it, although
Spoiler:
The side story about the ex cop in Mexico tracking down a serial killer felt completely disconnected from the rest of the season. I mean, they tried to tie it into the main story at the end, but by then it was too little, too late. I enjoyed the side story, and the actor was fantastic, but it just didn’t fit with the rest of the season.
It's too bad the series is over since they could have made a few more seasons telling the story of the rise of that little scamp El Chapo.

The Juarez killings could have been a series of its own and a good watch if done by the same creative team.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh dear lord, Tear Along the Dotted Line is a series of 6, less than 20 minute cartoons out of Italy about a comic book artist, his social anxiety and his imaginary friend, a giant talking Armadillo. And it is hilarious. As well as poignant.

Two big thumbs up. :wub:

He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Final episodes of Arcane dropped this morning. Fantastic show. IGN pegs it as a masterpiece.

And...

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Watched Red Notice today and thought it was a lot of fun. Felt like a Jackie Chan movie at times. Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds make a good pairing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:35 pm Watched Red Notice today and thought it was a lot of fun. Felt like a Jackie Chan movie at times. Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds make a good pairing.
Just watched it. Actually enjoyed a movie for once.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Ryan Reynolds should just wear the Deadpool costume 24/7.
Ever since that movie came out, every character he's played has had some variant of Deadpool in it.
Kind of getting old......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

No Deadpool is just Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds. Go all the way back to Van Wilder same character. I could see people getting sick of it, but god damn he's just so good at it. Free guy was hilarious and yet same character. Hell he's the same character when he interviews. The few times he's tried not to be that dude it was weird....Amityville Horror cough...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:46 am No Deadpool is just Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds. Go all the way back to Van Wilder same character. I could see people getting sick of it, but god damn he's just so good at it. Free guy was hilarious and yet same character. Hell he's the same character when he interviews. The few times he's tried not to be that dude it was weird....Amityville Horror cough...
He wasnt Deadpool in Green Lantern.
Yeah, yeah........I didnt hate the movie the way alot did.
It did show he can act and not be smarmy for 2 hours.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:08 pm Final episodes of Arcane dropped this morning. Fantastic show. IGN pegs it as a masterpiece.

And...

Episode 3 is where I went from “beautiful but an okay story” to “holy crap, they’re not playing around”. Now I’m hooked.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:57 amEpisode 3 is where I went from “beautiful but an okay story” to “holy crap, they’re not playing around”. Now I’m hooked.
Yeah, same. I don't want to spoil anything, but the final several minutes of ep 3 are... something else. Riveting, for sure.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

stimpy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:51 am
Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:46 am No Deadpool is just Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds. Go all the way back to Van Wilder same character. I could see people getting sick of it, but god damn he's just so good at it. Free guy was hilarious and yet same character. Hell he's the same character when he interviews. The few times he's tried not to be that dude it was weird....Amityville Horror cough...
He wasnt Deadpool in Green Lantern.
Yeah, yeah........I didnt hate the movie the way alot did.
It did show he can act and not be smarmy for 2 hours.
I thought he was excellent in Safe House. And there was very little humor.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.