News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wrong island country.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Her accent is supposed to be from Manchester (Bolton to be exact). Calling it a British accent would still be okay, I would think.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My implication involved the use of tentacled verbiage.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, got it.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:53 pm The Pale Blue Eye

Enlarge Image
Trailer

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:31 pm Some folks just don't like uncomfortable or awkward comedy. They hate The Office, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. because they all swim in that comedic river. So if you don't enjoy that stuff, I would stay on the shore and well clear of this one.
:grund:

Well, actually I love those shows - among my favorite TV comedy shows. So, you've certainly not hit upon the component that I'm speaking about at all.

:snooty:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s all fine and good, but are you willing to finally admit you were wrong about Mark Ruffalo and Noah Centineo not sounding and looking alike? Or should I bring in my closer Issie again? :P
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:ninja:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I just watched “Madoff: The Monster of Wall Street and it was really good. He’s clearly a narcissistic sociopath - it was very sad what some people had to go through because of his fraud. And it was clear that there were people who enabled him, especially Jeffrey Picower. He was there whenever Madoff needed money, and his payment in return was crazy returns up to 950%.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Palm Beach County Medical Examiner's Office determined that Mr. Picower suffered a massive heart attack while in the swimming pool resulting in accidental drowning."
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:15 am I just watched “Madoff: The Monster of Wall Street and it was really good. He’s clearly a narcissistic sociopath - it was very sad what some people had to go through because of his fraud. And it was clear that there were people who enabled him, especially Jeffrey Picower. He was there whenever Madoff needed money, and his payment in return was crazy returns up to 950%.
I just finished this and agree that it was an excellent documentary. Also highlights the ineptitude of the SEC, especially after being presented with evidence from a third party over the course of a few years. But when everyone is profiting nobody wants to rock the boat. There's also no real incentive for companies to follow regulations and do due diligence if the money is rolling in.

Right after finishing it I watched The Wizard of Wall Street on HBO with de Niro as Bernie Madoff. That was a good watch as well.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:13 am Inside Job

Was renewed for S2, now cancelled:

Apologies for non-Twitter users; it's a picture of a post without alt text for me to quote.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, that sucks. I was enjoying the back half of season 1. Guess I'll finish it off and file it in the memory banks with other shows who died too soon. Are we sure the people running Netflix aren't the 90s Fox executives?
Spoiler:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if this is the first signs that consolidation is imminent- that the days of 37 streaming services is coming to a end.

EDIT: Fret forgive me
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zarathud

News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Zarathud »

Damn you Illuminati. Inside Job was fun for the whole family. My daughter thinks Mothman HR was hysterical.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't recall ever hearing about Inside Job. Thinking about it, I don't know where I hear about basically any Netflix series. Every once in a while I get an email from Netflix about a show or movie they say I might like and it is almost never anything I am interested in watching. I browse the discussions here but it seems most of you spend more time with TV than I do, so I end up being pretty selective on what I watch and pay attention to. So those emails and stuff here is my main source. My social circle is my wife's family and uhhh... we don't like the same things, and at work I am 15-25 years older than everyone else which seems to cause a gap in pop culture discussions except around music where there is some crossover.

Anyway, I was going to say maybe it was an awareness problem, but I am not sure my awareness gap lines up with that of others.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Inside Job was fun, but it never completely won me over like Venture Bros or Rick and Morty. However, many of the makers of Inside Job also made the insanely great Gravity Falls that I HIGHLY recommend. I believe you can stream it on Hulu and Disney +. You can watch it with your kids, but much of the humor may go over their heads.
coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:29 am but it seems most of you spend more time with TV than I do
:lol: That’s how I feel about you and games when I see you’ve finished yet another newly released video game within 4 days of its release. I sometimes wonder if you even play while asleep.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My kids LOVED Gravity Falls and Inside Job. Both shows have big hearts, good humor and stories that embrace the silliness of conspiracy theory.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:29 am I don't recall ever hearing about Inside Job.
Yeah, me neither. And I agree about what you said about hearing about Netflix content. It's almost as if Netflix is counting on places such as these to spread the word about their content. If it weren't for you guys, I wouldn't have heard of more than half the stuff, and whether they're worth any time to spend on. And that's even with periodically browsing their own list of upcoming content. There's always something that seems to be a stealth release, or so it seems. Word is that streaming services now expect people to binge on them right away, but there is sooo much stuff that I'm always already digesting, and I'm not going to drop everything just to watch the latest content. It creates an obligation as if we're slaves to the system. I thought the point of all these streaming services was that we could watch anything whenever we wanted. Often, the only time I'll hear of something is when it gets cancelled.

Netflix does have an awareness problem though. Part of the issue I think is that there's just so much stuff to wade through. There's new stuff, new series and movies, coming out every single week. It would be easier if Netflix were to have less with a focus on quality. The other issue that comes with having so much content is that they can't possibly have a budget to promote it all, which leads into the discovery issue. Shows get released and it's like Netflix says, "Ok, good luck out there!" And often, you hear weeks later that the particular release has been cancelled. But... But... I just heard of it!!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:16 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:55 am
$iljanus wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:19 am
That’s too bad. It was a silly show but we really need more shows with scenes of Lance Riddick in an Olive Garden for the first time.
Going to miss scenes like this one?
I certainly am! I like the whole post apocalyptic grimdark theme and all but I also appreciate good old silliness. And when you mix the two together... :tjg: :wub:
I’m about halfway through the first and final season and yes…this show is silly. But damn it, I’m having fun watching it. It’s just so out there.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Watching The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker, it's like a real life Hatchet Cop.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:13 pm Trailer

This is a fine little film made remarkable by Harry Melling's role as a young Edgar Allan Poe. Bale is good but perhaps not great. Robert Duvall is minimally recognizable in a tiny role, but it's nice to see him on screen at 90+. Some will be disappointed in the turns the story takes in the second half. One is perhaps over-telegraphed and the other is unsatisfying. You decide which is which. But the journey is wonderful, and I enjoyed the film foremost for its setting and acting.
Spoiler:
All the young cadets had tiny, mousey faces and I struggled to tell them apart.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:55 pm Watching The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker, it's like a real life Hatchet Cop.
I loved that the same people that were so quick to try and make that dude the next big sensation at any cost, were SO shocked when he turned out to be a full blown lunatic. It's not like the signs werent everywhere during the 3 whole months between his "heroic" act and his vile act.
It's just that the Hollywood idiots that were so blinded by trying to ride his 15 minutes didnt care.
He was gonna be the next Kardashian and they wanted a piece of it. Laughable.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I watched a few movies.

"Dreamland" might be good if you have children or are a child. The sfx are pretty good. The story is a little treacly. Pass.

"Extinction" starts out as an intriguing alien invasion movie, then has a twist halfway through that seems clever at first but drifts into absurd. Pass.

"Synchronic" is good. I knew nothing about it going in so I'm not going to spoil it for you with a review. But I liked it. The trailer doesn't really give much away if you want a general idea.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:01 pm
"Synchronic" is good. I knew nothing about it going in so I'm not going to spoil it for you with a review. But I liked it. The trailer doesn't really give much away if you want a general idea.
Anything Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead make is great. If you can find it, definitely watch The Endless. It’s off Netflix now, but I’m sure it will return. Those two make lower budget science fiction that gets you thinking.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:01 pm "Synchronic" is good. I knew nothing about it going in so I'm not going to spoil it for you with a review. But I liked it. The trailer doesn't really give much away if you want a general idea.
Definitely check out The Endless by the same directors/writer if you haven't seen it already, as hepcat also mentioned. The direct connection is minor, but it's enjoyably eerie.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hah, great minds think alike. :lol:
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I meant that hepcat mentioned a while back, not one minute before I posted. :lol:

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I made a mental note about Endless but I will probably lose it. Poke me if you ever see it streaming on Netflix, HBO, Prime, YTTV, or Tubi.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:19 pm I made a mental note about Endless but I will probably lose it. Poke me if you ever see it streaming on Netflix, HBO, Prime, YTTV, or Tubi.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... 027W1ITY46
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:19 pm I made a mental note about Endless but I will probably lose it. Poke me if you ever see it streaming on Netflix, HBO, Prime, YTTV, or Tubi.
Justwatch's US site says it's on Tubi, not sure if it's reliable.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:31 pm
Thanks! Never heard of Freevee but I can tolerate ads because I have a mute button. Added to my list.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FWIW, Sound of Metal, which used to be an Amazon exclusive, is now available on Netflix. This is the movie where the heavy-metal drummer loses his hearing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Watched THE HATCHET WIELDING HITCHHIKER. Pretty fascinating documentary though it's ultimately a really sad story. I remember the whole viral thing of Kai, but didn't pay much attention to the aftermath. And unlike most Netflix true crime docs, you can watch it in one sitting. I'm shocked they didn't figure out a way to pad it out into a 10-episode series.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

If you have a Roku, it is on the Roku Channel for free. I added it to watch later
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:08 am
Thanks! Never heard of Freevee but I can tolerate ads because I have a mute button. Added to my list.
Endless was at least as good as Synchronic and I'm now a fan of these two writer/directors. I like time travel stories in general and they have a unique take, smartly written and presented. I think Endless would benefit from a second viewing knowing wtf is going on.

Also, Freevee didn't show me any ads, maybe because I'm a Prime member.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

For the record, Endless and The Endless are two different things. But both are on TubiTV.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:37 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:08 am
Endless was at least as good as Synchronic and I'm now a fan of these two writer/directors. I like time travel stories in general and they have a unique take, smartly written and presented. I think Endless would benefit from a second viewing knowing wtf is going on.

Also, Freevee didn't show me any ads, maybe because I'm a Prime member.
Spoiler:
The scene with the guy chained up in a cabin? That’s a direct tie in to Resolution, a film they made prior to The Endless. I love how they’re interconnected.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I watched Mank this afternoon. Everything about it was thoroughly enjoyable, but I was particularly impressed with Gary Oldman's performance. He so completely disappears into the character that I had no idea it was him until the credits rolled.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch