News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:59 pm As for homicidal? Doesn’t sound like Wednesday is in this if she’s trying to stop a murder spree.
For Wednesday Addams, "stopping a murder spree" is semantically equivalent to "exercising self control." :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There’s always time for murder tomorrow, said Wednesday.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Masters of the Universe: Revolution Announced During Netflix Geeked Week

Kevin Smith is returning to produce a new He-Man project for Netflix.

Enlarge Image
Billed as an all-new story in the battle for Eternia, Revolution will once pit He-Man and his allies against the nefarious Skeletor while picking up right where the previous series left off.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

His remake was waaaay better than I thought it was going to be. Quite entertaining.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
disarm

Post by disarm »

Count me in for more Masters of the Universe...Revelation was great!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I’m not a fan of He-Man. Hated the cartoon back in the day. But Smith’s version was actually entertaining.
Covfefe!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I don't think we ever got a dedicated thread for Bo Burnham's "Inside" but he released a deluxe album with a bunch of new songs and a new video

Actually it's a whole new series of videos: :shock:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Made it through all 10 episodes of The Lincoln Lawyer. I must admit they hooked me on the mystery. But the ending with the shady client was...unsatisfying.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed it. For better and worse, it very much feels like a throwback to 90s/00s network television other than the streaming format differences. I think having multiple cases/storylines going throughout the season was great, and rarely became confusing. But in this era, it's also kind of weird watching a series in which the legal and law enforcement systems are largely glorified. The same can be said for the main character's apparent wealth (though the way he acts usually counteracts this, and this isn't to say there aren't interesting stories to be told about the wealthy). I guess the viewer would expect a hard-working, hotshot defense attorney to be well off, and that's part of the fantasy. But it still feels kind of out of touch to me, a not-wealthy person lol.

Spoiler:
Hollywood still doesn't understand video games. Whenever I see something so stupid it reminds me how wrong the portrayal of other subjects I know less about must be as well. But the target audience for this series probably wasn't gamers.

There some really, really goofy contrivances, especially as all the loose ends are tied up toward the end of the season. Like many mysteries, it focuses too much on trying to craft unexpected twists (but I understand the genre is full of this, and it's what readers/viewers expect to an extent). I laughed out loud when a certain character fell off a cliff a moment before the truth could be revealed. (And that scream!) All throughout the main trial, I found myself thinking... "I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that", even though I only had one semester of high school law in a different country. But it's still enjoyable drama.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There were a few things that bugged me:
Spoiler:
The romance between Cisco and the blonde ex was not convincing. Why was the black detective so focused on the murder of a lawyer, seemingly to the exclusion of any other work. They telegraphed that the head judge was dirty. I admit the drone disposal of the murder weapon was clever, did not see that coming.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And a new (and I think final) season of PEAKY BLINDERS (best said by yelling) is here!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Wait, what? There's another season? I was not expecting that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:43 pm Be sure to check out RRR. It's a ton of fun. Easily one of the best buddy comedy/historical drama/action epic/musicals I've ever seen. :D
Was cruising through their top films list and left this on long enough for the trailer to start to play. I immediately recognized the brilliant absurdity of it when a man saved himself from a panther attack by leading it into jumping into the path of a similarly pouncing leopard. Onto my watch list it goes.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:58 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:43 pm Be sure to check out RRR. It's a ton of fun. Easily one of the best buddy comedy/historical drama/action epic/musicals I've ever seen. :D
Was cruising through their top films list and left this on long enough for the trailer to start to play. I immediately recognized the brilliant absurdity of it when a man saved himself from a panther attack by leading it into jumping into the path of a similarly pouncing leopard. Onto my watch list it goes.
Just skimmed a review and this sort of thing is right up my alley! Have the tv to myself so I’m going in!

Edit: Damn this looks good in 4K! And fuck you white British colonizer scum!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So yeah….RRR….that’s….well…

Marvel and DC should be on the first flight to India after seeing this. I mean, it has its goofy song and dance stuff, it’s horribly overwrought and melodramatic, it’s childishly over the top at times, and there’s a 3 minute montage with a song outlining how the two main characters are now friends for life after they first meet…but none of that matters when you have scenes like this

And that’s probably the smallest action scene in the movie.

I could see the makers of this one doing a superhero franchise right.

P.S. don’t watch if you’re an Anglophile. This movie really wants you to hate the English. And I do mean hate.
Covfefe!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Reminds me of...

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I need to remind myself to find that one. I've seen that clip before.

I still stand by my earlier assertion that Indian films are not my cup of tea. However, there are always exceptions to every rule.

You can point out a hundred things that are wrong about RRR, and I'll agree with most, if not all, of them. But it doesn't matter when you get to the fight scenes. They're beautifully shot, incredibly imaginative (to the point of being hilariously over the top at times...but entertainingly so, as opposed to annoyingly so), and more brutal than I would have thought they would be from previous experiences with Indian films.

And the song and dance is kept to a minimum (although there is a torture scene song that was actually pretty moving).

Also, they inform you at the start of the film that the animals in all the fight scenes are completely CGI...which is amazing when you watch the movie. That is some top shelf CGI, I have to say.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember last year I watched an Indian movie with lots of action that didn't songs and dancing in it. Rather surprised me.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tomorrow, tomorrow...

(Umbrella Academy.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

If you are putting things into spoilers, it would be helpful to say what show it's a spoiler for. I'm catching up on Netflix shows after a 2 month hiatus and, while I'm not clicking any spoilers at all, I have no idea which show most of these spoilers are for.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:57 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Lassr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:28 pm Sorry, not going to read through a 47 page thread to see if this one's been mentioned, but I highly recommend Love, Death + Robots to almost everyone here*. New "season" drops in a few days I think.
Yea, great to know. I loved about 75% of the episodes during season 1.
I blew through Season 2 last night (only 8 episodes, as they've split what would have been S2 into S2 and an upcoming S3). Loved most of them, and none were bad. Pop Squad, Snow in the Desert, and The Drowned Giant were particularly fantastic. The animation is spectacular throughout.
I'm two episodes into S3, and... am not disappointed.
Whoever made the episode Jibaro, just give them whatever money they want to do a full feature of anything. :wub:
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:29 am Whoever made the episode Jibaro, just give them whatever money they want to do a full feature of anything. :wub:
Alberto Mielgo
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I thought the new "Bastard!! Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy" anime might be interesting, as I'm always a sucker for more mature animation and the heavy metal themes seemed right up my alley. I mean, the kingdom is named "Metallicana", there's a "Castle Judas", the priest is named Lars, a main villain named "Anthrasax", and the main character yelled "SODOM!" as he flung out a fire spell. How could that not be at least a little bit cool, right?

This left me feeling absolutely just...gross. I knew it had lots of sexual innuendo (one review described it as "unapologetically horny"), but it's done in the creepiest way possible. Most of it involved women being forced into overly sexual situations against their will, then coming around to "well, this isn't so bad". I get that they were going for a 90's OVA aesthetic (i.e. Ninja Scroll) but It's all just really, really off-putting.

The first three episodes aren't terrible, but I actually turned off the fourth episode because it was in such bad taste. Absolutely do not recommend.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn, the final season of Peaky Blinders was excellent. So many twists and turns. :wub:
Spoiler:
Although the final twist felt a bit too contrived. The newspaper in the fire was a big time deus ex machina.
Now bring on the movie.
Covfefe!
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

The Gray Man was quite good. Very "John Wick". A few over the top stunts, but enjoyable.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
msteelers

News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by msteelers »

We also enjoyed The Gray Man. It was a paper thin plot, but the characters and action were great.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

msteelers wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:40 pm We also enjoyed The Gray Man. It was a paper thin plot, but the characters and action were great.
I enjoyed it too, but I think they missed a golden opportunity:
Spoiler:
Six should have pulled a switcharoo on the thumb drive ala Escape from New York.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Day Shift….oof.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:44 pm Day Shift….oof.
Yeah? I watched the trailer/clip earlier. But it wasn't winning me over. Hard pass?

Also... I saw that Netflix has/is pushing John Carpenter's Vampires. But... James Woods? Oof. I just don't think I could watch that again. I am not a fan of Mr. Woods.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Day Shift is just painful to watch. For me, at least. Stunt casting, unfunny jokes, etc. It tics all the boxes in my list of things to dislike in a movie.

And yeah, Woods is unlikeable, but I still have a soft spot for John Carpenter’s Vampires. Mostly because of John Carpenter.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This just moved into my watch list....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:06 pm
This just moved into my watch list....
It is true. We are close to polar opposites when it comes to tv and film. Day Shift will probably become your favorite movie on Netflix. :D
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:And yeah, Woods is unlikeable, but I still have a soft spot for John Carpenter’s Vampires. Mostly because of John Carpenter.
"Can I ask you somethin'? When I was kickin' your ass back there. Did that give you wood? You get a little mahogany from that, a little ebony? Come on tell the truth."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's such a weird film. :lol:
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

More on that Guillermo del Toro anthology series.

Lookin' good!
Covfefe!