News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:A new season of I Think You Should Leave has arrived. Comedy....gold.
I went to watch Season 3 and realized I had missed Season 2 entirely. I freaking love this show. Tim Robinson is an absolute master of cringe comedy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spoiler:
As with all seasons, there are some that don't work, some that take a while to work, and some that work from the minute they start. But when it does work, it's friggin' hilarious.

I love that you never know where the hell a skit is going to go. Although it's usually somewhere a little darker than you thought it would be. He mines comedy from the weirdest places....and I love him for that.

Check out Detroiters if you haven't already. It's a sitcom he did with the equally hilarious Sam Richardson (who often appears in I Think You Should Leave).
Spoiler:
Last edited by hepcat on Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Last night I watched "Mute", the sort-of recent movie by Duncan Jones (Zowie Bowie). I really liked his first movie, "Moon," and hoped this one would be at least vaguely similar.

It is not.

Those of you who enjoy watching graphic violence might like this movie. I don't, and I didn't. The plot was thin and hard to follow, just a thread linking scene after scene of people beating each other up, being tortured, murders, etc. The characters are colorful but universally unlikable. The best thing I can say about it is that the setting (Berlin 40 years from now) is interesting and the cast is good. 3/8 tentacles is being generous.
Smoove_B

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:57 pm I wonder if they're going to half-ass it during the final season? Game of Thrones showrunners to adapt sci-fi epic The Three-Body Problem into Netflix series:
The duo are teaming with writer-producer Alexander Woo (True Blood) to tackle Liu Cixin's The Three-Body Problem trilogy, which depicts humanity’s first contact with an alien civilization. The saga's debut book was published to considerable acclaim in China in 2008, while an English translation by Ken Liu became the first Asian novel ever to win a Hugo Award for Best Novel in 2014. The New Yorker dubbed Liu "China's Arthur C. Clarke," referring to the 2001: A Space Odyssey screenwriter.

The cost of the series is sure to be substantial. In 2018, the Financial Times reported that Amazon Studios was making a heavy play for the rights to the novels, looking into potentially making a deal worth $1 billion — a figure that would even dwarf the company's initial investment in its upcoming The Lord of the Rings series. That the project ended up at Netflix despite such numbers floating around is really saying something (though one source described the $1 billion figure as overblown).
Figured this was dead

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I will watch that so I don't have to read the book(s).
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like sci-if that keeps me guessing where they’ll go. I know it’s probably heresy of me to say this, but I liked Apple TV’s Foundation for similar reasons. It felt grand and epic, but it avoided telling the same story found in big budget Hollywood sci-if.

So yeah, I’m in.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Suits has arrived.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rebel Moon by Zack Snyder
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Speaking of Chris Hemsworth, we watched Extraction 1 & 2 this weekend. Boy, if you like the shooty-shooty, stabby-stabby, well... There's a lot of that.

Speaking of Arnold, we started watching the aptly-named Arnold last night. Dude has led an interesting life.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In case it hasn't been mentioned, a new 5-episode season of Black Mirror dropped, and E1 is excellent (even though I figured out the twist halfway through).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I’m going to assume that “65” is a Netflix original movie. It’s got spaceships AND dinosaurs, Adam Driver and little kids, and was probably written by an AI. It was “meh” even by mindless popcorn flick standards. You can find better ways to waste 90 minutes of your life.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:31 pm I’m going to assume that “65” is a Netflix original movie. It’s got spaceships AND dinosaurs, Adam Driver and little kids, and was probably written by an AI. It was “meh” even by mindless popcorn flick standards. You can find better ways to waste 90 minutes of your life.
It is not.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:35 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:31 pm I’m going to assume that “65” is a Netflix original movie. It’s got spaceships AND dinosaurs, Adam Driver and little kids, and was probably written by an AI. It was “meh” even by mindless popcorn flick standards. You can find better ways to waste 90 minutes of your life.
It is not.
Well if it had a theatrical release it deserved to bomb. But it probably didn’t because it ticked a lot of formulaic boxes.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:43 pm Well if it had a theatrical release it deserved to bomb. But it probably didn’t because it ticked a lot of formulaic boxes.
I saw it in the theater. It was certainly nothing special but I've seen sooo much worse.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I watched it and didn't feel the need to pay attention to the story most of the time. It's serviceable, and I did like the concept that
Spoiler:
they were actually aliens on Earth during the time of dinos
but then they never really did anything with that.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote:Speaking of Chris Hemsworth, we watched Extraction 1 & 2 this weekend. Boy, if you like the shooty-shooty, stabby-stabby, well... There's a lot of that.

Speaking of Arnold, we started watching the aptly-named Arnold last night. Dude has led an interesting life.
Have you watched FUBAR yet? Have it in the list, but am wondering if it gets too violent/ bloody for Mrs. Kub, or if it is more traditional Arnold action comedy.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:10 pm Yeah, I watched it and didn't feel the need to pay attention to the story most of the time. It's serviceable, and I did like the concept that
Spoiler:
Except they spoke English!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FUBAR is on my short list, but subscribing to Netflix right now (I'm not currently) feels... icky.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:56 pm FUBAR is on my short list, but subscribing to Netflix right now (I'm not currently) feels... icky.
General streaming-strike issues or something I've missed?

Pyperkub: I haven't watched Fubar yet, but it's on my list, too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:04 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:56 pm FUBAR is on my short list, but subscribing to Netflix right now (I'm not currently) feels... icky.
General streaming-strike issues. It would feel off to subscribe to what is reportedly one of the worst offenders just as people are risking their homes to stand up against them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From what I've read, Fubar is not worth it. I watched about 15 minutes and decided that was enough.
Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:46 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:10 pm Yeah, I watched it and didn't feel the need to pay attention to the story most of the time. It's serviceable, and I did like the concept that
Spoiler:
Except they spoke English!
To be fair, so did everyone in the Lord of the Rings films, Star Wars and the Smurfs movie.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So did the Nazis in WWII movies, though strangely with a German accent.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, a Louisiana accent would’ve sounded silly.

Heil Hitler, y’all!
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

“Take Me” (2017) was a pretty good unpredictable comedy/drama. Pat Healy (a character actor who you've seen in 100 minor roles) runs a kidnap-for-hire service and Taylor Schilling (Orange is the New Black) is his most challenging client ever.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If you like weird spacy sci-fi, Annihilation is worth a watch. That title always reminds me of the old video game.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alex Garland is one of the best science fiction film writers working today.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:34 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:04 pm
General streaming-strike issues. It would feel off to subscribe to what is reportedly one of the worst offenders just as people are risking their homes to stand up against them.
FWIW, I've seen a number of union affiliated Twitter posts stressing that the unions are NOT asking for a consumer boycott at this point.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Netliix is a tricky one. As I've seen explained somewhere, some of it is Union, some of it is not. And that's likely down to the nature of having international content, some which may not even go through unions, or different country's union which may not apply.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

There's no need for a consumer boycott.
As of now, neither SAG-AFTRA nor the WGA have demanded a boycott of movie theaters, TV networks, or streaming services. Writer Neil Gaiman, himself a striking member of the WGA, addressed the question of boycotting and canceling streaming services in a July 12 post on his Tumblr, saying:
The WGA has not called for anyone to boycott any of the streamers or to stop their streaming services yet. It's not "crossing the picket line" to watch something on a network that we are striking against. ("Crossing a picket line" is a very real, specific thing with a real meaning.)

I've seen it being discussed, but until the WGA calls for it, I don't suggest doing it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So if we can't watch anything that involves actors or writers, that means all we can watch are Mark Wahlberg films? That seems kind of harsh. :(
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not boycotting anything. Hell, I haven't even been subscribed for months. I just said it felt icky.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:40 pm
Zaxxon wrote:Speaking of Chris Hemsworth, we watched Extraction 1 & 2 this weekend. Boy, if you like the shooty-shooty, stabby-stabby, well... There's a lot of that.

Have you watched FUBAR yet? Have it in the list, but am wondering if it gets too violent/ bloody for Mrs. Kub, or if it is more traditional Arnold action comedy.

The wife and I watched the first episode. I've never seen an Arnold movie I didn't like. I don't plan on watching the rest of the show. It just didn't work for me. There is a decent amount of violence but it's not bloody. Extraction is much, much more violent/bloody.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:12 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:40 pm

The wife and I watched the first episode. I've never seen an Arnold movie I didn't like. I don't plan on watching the rest of the show. It just didn't work for me. There is a decent amount of violence but it's not bloody. Extraction is much, much more violent/bloody.
Yeahm, I enjoyed the first Extraction and the 2nd is on my list, but that's a hard no for Mrs. Kub! ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Side Note - NetFlix killing Basic plan for new subs:
Netflix no longer lets new subscribers select its Basic plan in the US. The $9.99-per-month plan is nixed in the UK, too, making the lowest-tier plan available for Netflix newcomers the $6.99/month one with ads and a limited library.

As spotted by UK-based cord-cutting publication Cord Busters today, Netflix's Basic plan, which was the lowest-priced tier available to those who didn't want to endure ads before or during shows and movies, has been axed. The plan allowed viewers to watch content at up to 720p resolution, supported one device, and let you download content for times when you wanted to watch Netflix sans Internet.