News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Daehawk »

Stumbled across a British Netflix show thats been out 4 years and is loved yet dont think anyone on here is watching as I see no posts.

After Life.
Tony had a perfect life -- until his wife Lisa died. After that tragic event, the formerly nice guy changed. After contemplating taking his life, Tony decides he would rather live long enough to punish the world by saying and doing whatever he likes. He thinks of it as a superpower -- not caring about himself or anybody else -- but it ends up being trickier than he envisioned when his friends and family try to save the nice guy that they used to know. Golden Globe winner Ricky Gervais stars in the comedy series, which he also writes and directs.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JCC

Post by JCC »

I absolutely love After Life!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I was delightfully surprised by the show, similar to Derek. While I don't enjoy most of Gervais's comedy, these two shows have a lot of heart.

However, I had to stop watching After Life an episode or two into season three. I imagine I'll go back to it eventually, but I was dealing with a lot of existential angst and concerns of mortality at the time and I found it upsetting. I was also frustrated with Gervais's character's relative lack of growth, though I get that the series should probably be viewed as single, extended meditation on grief and moving on. I'm sure there's some kind of resolution at the end of the final season.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

I fully approved of the ending.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We only made it through 6 minutes of 'You People' before we gave up on it. If you like Jonah Hill, it might do something for you. But it's loud and abrasive, and very much in your face. Very much cringe-humor and not at all subtle. Shame, because it's got a strong cast of David Duchovny, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Eddie Murphy, and even Rhea Perlman, but they all feel wasted in this. I expected better, but the script really is a let down. Supposed to be a remake of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, but I feel that movie was much smarter in how they approached it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:47 pm We only made it through 6 minutes of 'You People' before we gave up on it. If you like Jonah Hill, it might do something for you. But it's loud and abrasive, and very much in your face. Very much cringe-humor and not at all subtle. Shame, because it's got a strong cast of David Duchovny, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Eddie Murphy, and even Rhea Perlman, but they all feel wasted in this. I expected better, but the script really is a let down. Supposed to be a remake of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, but I feel that movie was much smarter in how they approached it.
Also not a Jonah Hill fan, but I saw David Duchovny pimping You People on Jimmy Kimmel, and that piqued my interest. Duchovny was excellent but criminally underused. JLD on the other hand was just adequate and criminally overused. Nice to see Murphy back in the saddle but he was only ok. It held my interest until they went with the smarmy, unjustified feel good ending.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wife thought it was "alright, I guess, I dunno." There were a couple good moments that I saw, and yeah, sitting next to her, I was like, "is it already over?"
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:42 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:47 pm We only made it through 6 minutes of 'You People' before we gave up on it. If you like Jonah Hill, it might do something for you. But it's loud and abrasive, and very much in your face. Very much cringe-humor and not at all subtle. Shame, because it's got a strong cast of David Duchovny, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Eddie Murphy, and even Rhea Perlman, but they all feel wasted in this. I expected better, but the script really is a let down. Supposed to be a remake of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, but I feel that movie was much smarter in how they approached it.
Also not a Jonah Hill fan, but I saw David Duchovny pimping You People on Jimmy Kimmel, and that piqued my interest. Duchovny was excellent but criminally underused. JLD on the other hand was just adequate and criminally overused. Nice to see Murphy back in the saddle but he was only ok. It held my interest until they went with the smarmy, unjustified feel good ending.
You managed better than we did. Thing is, just the first few minutes with that monologue at the beginning was enough to make us run the other way. It just felt super awkward. We had also seen some promotion, I think it was with Julia Lous-Dreyfuss doing the rounds, and they had shown clips that made it look quite different. We decided to check it out based on that as it looked interesting enough. Just wasn't prepared to be blasted the way we did.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

JCC wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:59 pm I absolutely love After Life!
He also is in a movie about the afterlife but in a more supernatural way (he can see and hear dead people).

Can’t remember the title, but I thought it was great, and have actually watched it more than once (very rare for me). Disclaimer: I would watch anything he’s in, so it could be a stinker and I would probably enjoy it.

Edit: here it is, Ghost Town, and apparently it’s the only movie he’s been in that is not a critical flop (85% RT):
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1190970-ghost_town
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I watched the first episode of Lockwood & Co today. I quite liked it, and apparently it's getting ridiculously good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Enlarge Image

The only thing that annoys me is that he keeps saying "Lockwood and Cō" instead of "Lockwood and Company." I have issues with that, it seems. :think:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

“Jung_E” is a really good sci-fi story that was not what I thought it was going to be, which actually was a good thing.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:35 am “Jung_E” is a really good sci-fi story that was not what I thought it was going to be, which actually was a good thing.
So it's not an electronic version of Carl Jung?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:32 pm I watched the first episode of Lockwood & Co today. I quite liked it, and apparently it's getting ridiculously good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Enlarge Image

The only thing that annoys me is that he keeps saying "Lockwood and Cō" instead of "Lockwood and Company." I have issues with that, it seems. :think:
Oh, nice. I had discounted it as a simple teen drama, but now I’ll have to watch it with those reviews/your endorsement.

Edit: it really is quite good. The world building is front and center, and the dialogue is witty and fun. I laughed out loud more than once. Two thumbs up so far! Another thumb should be thrown in for the 2000 AD comic cameo in the first episode.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:48 am I’m kind of looking forward to Cunk on Earth. A mockumentary history show with an Ali G approach.

Out now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched a bit of the first episode last night. But right now I’m hooked on Hulu’s Extraordinary. Well, that and Lockwood and Co.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just finished Lockwood and Co.

Two huge thumbs up. And no, not because of a genetic defect.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My oldest watched Lockwood and seemed to enjoy it. He's now onto the audio books.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You should watch it with him/the family. I think you’d like it.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

There's word going around that Netflix is removing Arrested Development from its service.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:32 pm I watched the first episode of Lockwood & Co today. I quite liked it, and apparently it's getting ridiculously good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

Enlarge Image

Is Netflix going to cancel season 2 of this show?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Cunk on Earth is fun, but it quickly peaked during the 2nd episode and the bit with the castle, but as the show went on, it became tiresome and I gave up on the 5th episode.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:19 pm Cunk on Earth is fun, but it quickly peaked during the 2nd episode and the bit with the castle, but as the show went on, it became tiresome and I gave up on the 5th episode.
Yeah....I got the gist of the whole thing after 1 episode, so I bailed.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

stimpy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:22 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:19 pm Cunk on Earth is fun, but it quickly peaked during the 2nd episode and the bit with the castle, but as the show went on, it became tiresome and I gave up on the 5th episode.
Yeah....I got the gist of the whole thing after 1 episode, so I bailed.
There are moments of brilliance here and there, but for the most part, it's something that feels like it tries way too hard. Where it starts to get really sketchy is with jokes about slaves, which then starts to feel tone deaf. And there's also a joke that's repeated in every episode as part of a gag. After the 3rd or 4th time, it's not funny, but tedious.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, just watched The Sea Beast. I'd heard this movie had Oscar nominations, but I was highly skeptical as other Netflix nominated movies have disappointed me in the past, but this movie floored me. Both the animation and story are Pixar quality. Everything about it, from top to bottom is spectacular. The story kept me engaged from beginning to end, and it's got a lot of heart. Highly recommend watching this one. You're in for a treat.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mrs Kub and I started watching the Turkish (dubbed, and the dubbing is a bit off) Midnight at the Pera Palace, and it has been fun through a couple of episodes, historical intrigue of a country and era not explored much, post WW I Turkish independence.

Thus far, the Decider is kind of spot on:

What Shows Will It Remind You Of? Midnight at the Pera Palace is like Quantum Leap crossed with Murder, She Wrote, corny 1989 vibes and all.

Our Take: The opening 40-odd minutes of Pera Palace is chock-full of plot, moving like a pageturner as our ditzy protagonist fudges up our perceived reality, spinning off alt-universes with every step she takes…

… Our Call: STREAM IT. Midnight at the Pera Palace sets up a classic time-travel conundrum, a murder mystery and an opportunity for its protagonist to become more than just a lowly “content creator.” How can you resist?
\

I do like the international shows one would never see which Netflix spins up...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

At Wife's behest we started watching "Dead to Me," another dark comedy with unlikable characters. I'm getting a little burned out on that type of show, but two episodes in it's well-enough plotted to keep my interest. Plus, Linda Cardelini's still hawt.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:46 pm Mrs Kub and I started watching the Turkish (dubbed, and the dubbing is a bit off) Midnight at the Pera Palace, and it has been fun through a couple of episodes, historical intrigue of a country and era not explored much, post WW I Turkish independence.

What Shows Will It Remind You Of? Midnight at the Pera Palace is like Quantum Leap crossed with Murder, She Wrote, corny 1989 vibes and all.

Our Take: The opening 40-odd minutes of Pera Palace is chock-full of plot, moving like a pageturner as our ditzy protagonist fudges up our perceived reality, spinning off alt-universes with every step she takes…

… Our Call: STREAM IT. Midnight at the Pera Palace sets up a classic time-travel conundrum, a murder mystery and an opportunity for its protagonist to become more than just a lowly “content creator.” How can you resist?
\

Episode 3 was a hoot! (and had lots of Mystery in it, but one scene in particular had Mrs Kub and I laughing out loud).

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote:
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:46 pm Mrs Kub and I started watching the Turkish (dubbed, and the dubbing is a bit off) Midnight at the Pera Palace, and it has been fun through a couple of episodes, historical intrigue of a country and era not explored much, post WW I Turkish independence.

\

Episode 3 was a hoot! (and had lots of Mystery in it, but one scene in particular had Mrs Kub and I laughing out loud).
Mrs Kub and I finished this last night and it was an excellent ride. They also setup a season 2 without compromising the storyline conclusions of season 1.

Just a lot of fun, and well done scripts the board IMHO.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

OMG OMG OMG Chris Rock doing a live set on Netflix tonight!

From AP News:
The 58-year-old comedian on Saturday night will perform his first stand-up special since last year’s Oscars. He’s doing it in “Chris Rock: Selective Outrage,” streaming live on Netflix at 10 p.m. EST. Not only will Rock present about an hour of stand-up from the Hippodrome Theatre in Baltimore, but Netflix — in its first ever live show — will bookend the special with star-studded commentary.

The pre-show, beginning at 9:30 p.m., will feature Paul McCartney, Jerry Seinfeld, Matthew McConaughey, Cedric the Entertainer, Ice-T and two hosts from last year’s Oscars: Wanda Sykes and Amy Schumer. Afterward Rock’s set, Dana Carvey and David Spade will host guests including Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Arsenio Hall and JB Smoove.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Will Smith is breakin' out his heavy glove....
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:20 pm At Wife's behest we started watching "Dead to Me," another dark comedy with unlikable characters. I'm getting a little burned out on that type of show, but two episodes in it's well-enough plotted to keep my interest. Plus, Linda Cardelini's still hawt.
My wife and I pushed through most of the last season mostly out of obligation to finish it. This may be old news but Dead Like Me is fantastic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:10 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:20 pm At Wife's behest we started watching "Dead to Me," another dark comedy with unlikable characters. I'm getting a little burned out on that type of show, but two episodes in it's well-enough plotted to keep my interest. Plus, Linda Cardelini's still hawt.
My wife and I pushed through most of the last season mostly out of obligation to finish it. This may be old news but Dead Like Me is fantastic.
We're maybe halfway thru S2 and it's getting too soapy for my tastes, but Wife's still loving it. I'll stick it out since it comes in 30-minute doses.

We take turns deciding what will be the next show that we watch together, and this one's hers. Lately I've been going for classics with 23-episode seasons (currently in S3 of Farscape), so "my" shows last a lot longer than hers. Next on my list, though, is "The Last of Us," which I hope will be done airing by the time we get to it. Next on her list is something we had to sign up for Peacock to get.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Poker Face?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:10 pm
I loved Dead Like Me. That one went before its time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It sure did.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:59 pm Will Smith is breakin' out his heavy glove....
Someone in the pre-show did make a joke about how Will Smith was going to be slapping a TV before the night was over. :lol:

Chris Rock: Selective Outrage is up on Netflix as a VOD now, but it looks like the pre/post shows were live only.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:45 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:59 pm Will Smith is breakin' out his heavy glove....
Someone in the pre-show did make a joke about how Will Smith was going to be slapping a TV before the night was over. :lol:

Chris Rock: Selective Outrage is up on Netflix as a VOD now, but it looks like the pre/post shows were live only.
It ended up not being very good in my opinion. But the last 10 minutes were savage.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I enjoyed it overall, but yeah he really unloaded at the end.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Your Place Or Mine

Enlarge Image

And Tig Notaro
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

We Have a Ghost

Enlarge Image

And Tig Notaro