News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:46 am Anyone watch Against the Ice yet?
Exploring Greenland's vast landscape for a lost map, two men must fight to survive. Based on the true story of Denmark's 1909 polar expedition.
It stars Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Charles Dance from Game of Thrones, as well as Joe Cole from Peaky Blinders. I love me a good adventure movie, so I'm looking forward to seeing this one.

edit: never mind. RT has it at 50%. As we all know, I'm all about the certified fresh. But the critics all seem to echo the same sentiment that it isn't bad, just not as good as it should be.
I stuck it out the whole way. Not sure what objections the critics had, but I don't know how much they could have improved on the source material. I was bummed out when:
Spoiler:
the polar bear fell through the ice.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm, perhaps I’ll give it a watch after all then.
He won. Period.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Perhaps should be cross posted in the Ukraine thread, but Netflix brought back Servant of the People today.

Anyone besides me watched any of it?
No sig, must scream, etc.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They've added it to Netflix Canada as well. I've got it queued up on my list but haven't watched it yet.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:If you're a fan of NC-W, watch Shot Caller. Excellent movie.
What is NC-W?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just finished watching Black Crab, 46% on RT, but I think it was better than that. Noomi Rapace is an insanely versatile actress, playing everything from Ripleyesque, to dragon tattoo girl, to even a femme fatale. My one peeve here was:
Spoiler:
Why did she jump off the cliff when she could have just launched the grenade. It would have been her only chance of ever seeing her daughter again.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Started Bridgerton Season 2. My wife and I loved the first season, but with the focus on a different courtship this time around I'm not enjoying it nearly as much. Whereas the first season's romantic trappings were predictable, they were well-supplemented with an interesting coming-of-age central character and a core mystery. The second season lacks those latter two supplements, leaving just the predictable relationship arc. Meh.

It's still a great series and was a nice substitute for our Downton Abbey obsession, but second time's not the charm so far.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Just watched Windfall (no rating on RT), a tense psychological thriller with Jesse Plemons and Lily Collins. I enjoyed it and it left me thinking. Who would have thought Plemons would emerge from his small part in Breaking Bad to develop some quality acting chops.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:37 pm Just watched Windfall (no rating on RT)
You fool! It must be certified fresh, as I am!
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:37 pm Just watched Windfall (no rating on RT), a tense psychological thriller with Jesse Plemons and Lily Collins. I enjoyed it and it left me thinking. Who would have thought Plemons would emerge from his small part in Breaking Bad to develop some quality acting chops.
Yeah, at this point I will watch anything with him in it. Not sure he would be great in a leading role (no idea, but maybe), but damn, like Philip Seymour Hoffman, he brings "leading role" quality to every minor character he plays IMO. Solid, solid actor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:00 pm
It's still a great series and was a nice substitute for our Downton Abbey obsession, but second time's not the charm so far.

Speaking of Downton Abbey,, we tried his new series The Gilded Age and it really isn't at the same level. A shame, because that particular era would be great to explore, but the acting leaves a lot to be desired.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:40 pm Just started the final season of The Last Kingdom. While I enjoy the show’s action oriented but historically dubious stories, I do find myself still chuckling at the lead actor’s accent. He sounds like he’s doing a Pauly Shore impression.
I've been loving this show. I'm in the middle of season 3. I had no clue there was any intention for this to be historically accurate. I figured that other than time period for setting and places everything else was fully fictional.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:00 pm Started Bridgerton Season 2. My wife and I loved the first season, but with the focus on a different courtship this time around I'm not enjoying it nearly as much. Whereas the first season's romantic trappings were predictable, they were well-supplemented with an interesting coming-of-age central character and a core mystery. The second season lacks those latter two supplements, leaving just the predictable relationship arc. Meh.

Wife and I watched episode one with intent to watch more and just have not felt compelled to keep going yet.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:37 pm Just watched Windfall (no rating on RT), a tense psychological thriller with Jesse Plemons and Lily Collins. I enjoyed it and it left me thinking. Who would have thought Plemons would emerge from his small part in Breaking Bad to develop some quality acting chops.
Quite a bit of the typical plot line stupidity, but it had a decent twist.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Remus West wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:07 pm
hepcat wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:40 pm Just started the final season of The Last Kingdom. While I enjoy the show’s action oriented but historically dubious stories, I do find myself still chuckling at the lead actor’s accent. He sounds like he’s doing a Pauly Shore impression.
I've been loving this show. I'm in the middle of season 3. I had no clue there was any intention for this to be historically accurate. I figured that other than time period for setting and places everything else was fully fictional.
The show is based on a series of novels that use real figures from history, but take some liberties with the timelines quite a bit. I think the show goes even further.

It's absolutely entertaining though. That I can't deny.

However, I keep expecting Uhtred to follow up the intro line "Destiny is all!" with "....bu-ddy"

I am Uhtred...son of the Wea-sel.
He won. Period.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

:lol:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My kids came across the trailer of Pauly Shore in Pinocchio. Painful. Yassified.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

“Came across”…yeah, sure. You’re trying to raise little wea-sels. Stop trying to hide it.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Zarathud »

It’s a Tik Tok thing. Further evidence of the destruction of America’s future, not bad parenting.

Where I failed was not foreseeing that introducing my girls to Sonic on the PC would lead to them insisting on seeing Sonic 2 on opening weekend. It’s perfect for Jim Carey, but WTF otherwise.

They are excited that a Circle K is opening near their school…because then “Strange Things are Afoot at the Circle K.” I’m pretty sure they’ll be hanging out for Rufus and some Excellent Adventures.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The Witcher, Season 3 filming has begun. The background of the photo appears as if it may be from one of my favorite scenes from the books, tho s3 feels a bit early for that scene...
Production on the third season of Netflix’s high fantasy drama “The Witcher” has begun with the first photo released of actors Henry Cavill, Anya Chalotra and Freya Allan back in costume as Geralt of Rivia, Yennefer of Vengerberg and Princess Ciri respectively.

Showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich confirms the new season will adapt “Time of Contempt,”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:58 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:52 am Finished Season 3 of Sex Education today. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish.
Agreed. Some really good character development in that series. It's refreshingly honest.
Finally got a chance to see Season 3 and agree it was the best so far, which is an impressive accomplishment. Really looking forward to Season 4!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:42 pm
McNutt wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:59 am I finished Inventing Anna. Why in the world did I stick with that after seeing that it was going to be told from the reporter's point of view? Was that done to draw a 90-minute story into 9 hours? I hated so much about that series.
Thanks for saving me any time wasted on that.
As a counterpoint, we started watching this and we actually appreciated that it was from the reporter's point of view. Thing is, Anna's character is quite abrasive and quite honestly hard to watch. Love the actress in Ozark, but here she comes across as highly grating, and we couldn't really place her accent. It seemed all over the place. At some points it sounds sort of like a British accent rather than Russian, and none of it was particularly convincing. Feels like the role would have needed a bit of an older actress for it to work. We ended up bailing on this after the second episode as we were frustrated with it spending so much time from Anna's point of view. We found the investigative parts more fascinating. So either way, not a very good watch.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Watched Bad vegan.
Holy shit.
How does a seemingly intelligent, successful, attractive woman fall for a totally bullshit spewing average looking schlub so apparently fully and completely?
I have a feeling she doesnt. That she was complicit and is trying to concoct some wild fantasy about how she could be so utterly stupid and gullible.
He tells her he needs all this money from her, then takes her to expensive dinners and trips, and somehow she cant put 2 and 2 together?

Just like the people that got taken in by Anna. Just like the women that get taken in by online dating scammers.

I just dont get it.
Wish I did, because I could use an extra $1.7 mil or so from some sweet looking sugar momma that will love my fat ass and buy all the stories I tell her of how I work for the government in a super secret position that I cant divulge and having 30 extra pounds is part of my disguise.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

stimpy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:17 pm Watched Bad vegan.
Holy shit.
How does a seemingly intelligent, successful, attractive woman fall for a totally bullshit spewing average looking schlub so apparently fully and completely?
I have a feeling she doesnt. That she was complicit and is trying to concoct some wild fantasy about how she could be so utterly stupid and gullible.
He tells her he needs all this money from her, then takes her to expensive dinners and trips, and somehow she cant put 2 and 2 together?

Just like the people that got taken in by Anna. Just like the women that get taken in by online dating scammers.

I just dont get it.
Wish I did, because I could use an extra $1.7 mil or so from some sweet looking sugar momma that will love my fat ass and buy all the stories I tell her of how I work for the government in a super secret position that I cant divulge and having 30 extra pounds is part of my disguise.
It is called the long con. she is in on it.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Intelligent people can go to great lengths to enable bad actors because they’re used to success, can’t admit they were gullible and stupid, and emotionally shut down when faced with the consequences. Running a successful business is often about delegating to others and hoping things will turn out. That’s what she did — even knowing he was manipulating her. Those nuggets where she could pretend it would work out allowed her to go along.

So she may not have been in on the con, but still responsible.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you haven't watched S1, now is the time - S2 starts on 4/10

I really enjoyed the first season. Wasn't at all what I expected.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I remember really liking the first season. Thinking back on it, however, I couldn't actually tell you a single thing that happened.

I remember it being very strange, complex, and funny, but that's about it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's we tried but wife wasn't really interested so we bailed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:48 pm That's we tried but wife wasn't really interested so we bailed.
Also tried and bailed.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I remember people raving about the first season, and I've watched it, but I honestly can't say I'm crazy about it. It's been so long since the first season that any interest I had back then, has pretty much fizzled by now. And another related issue I've found when shows take a long break between seasons is that the recaps really need to do a better job to take into account the length of time between releases. The recaps really don't give a great contextual overview, and because of the length of time between seasons, it can leave the viewer quite puzzled, if the season resumes where it left off. They need to do a better job of re-introducing characters. There was another series that had a recent season that we gave upon on because for the life of us, we couldn't remember who the characters were and why we should care about them. At that point, you kind of have to shrug and wonder if it's worth getting back into it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Am I the only one in the world who hasn't watched Stranger Things? I tried the first few episodes, but I couldn't get into it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nope. I watched the first episode and never went back.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Love Stranger Things. Disappointed in the split season shit from Netflix. I wonder how long before we get the 5th and final season...
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:47 pm Am I the only one in the world who hasn't watched Stranger Things? I tried the first few episodes, but I couldn't get into it.
Forced my way through the first season. Just no desire to move on to others.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ahh ok, well that makes me feel a little better. I like the 80's vibe, but just didn't care about the storyline.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Was that Barb at the end of the trailer?
:twisted:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Really enjoyed first season. Second season was fine. By the third season, meh.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:47 am I watched all six episodes of Murderville. It has a very gimmicky premise: Will Arnett is a detective and each week he is partnered with a celebrity to solve a murder mystery. But the celebrity doesn't know the script and is the one that has to figure out who did it. As you might expect, the episodes vary pretty widely in quality based on the guest. IMO, the only really good one was the episode with Kumail Nanjiani. The rest were mediocre to bad. And the mysteries were generally pretty basic; once you know the formula it's not hard to figure out who did it. Overall, I give it 4 out of 8 tentacles.
I binged this today. I enjoyed all but Conan's. Marshawn Lynch was a lot of fun and Sharon Stone was so calm and composed. Annie Murphy looked the most frustrated with the whole thing and Nanjiani had the best lines. Ken Jeong was the last capable of holding it together. Entertaining though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles