News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Rumpy »

I liked the concept, but the format seemed quite at odds with the improv. Some of the scenarios were awful and some of the guests got way more into it than others.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I made it about 25 minutes into The Bubble before I had to stop. Some may find it humorous, but it definitely isn't my cup of tea.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I didn't even make it 5 min in. I find it hard to joke about, given we're still dealing with it for the most part. The problem with something like this is that it's just too damn familiar and I roll my eyes at the attempts at humor. I just don't want to sit around laughing about people in a pandemic predicament. There was an independent movie, might have been French, that had the same exact problem. Set during the pandemic at a housing complex, it was a madcap comedy, but instead of being funny, it was just tiring, because we know exactly how everyone feels.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I didn't find it offensive, just not terribly funny. I have no issues with comedies tackling the pandemic. Laughter is how many people deal with such things. More power to them, I say. Unfortunately, this one didn't generate the required laughter from me.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I watched the first half of the first episode of Bridgerton season 2 and I am already bored and looking for the eject button. I was just looking to fill the space before the second half of the final season of Ozark drops, but man is this not interesting. I really enjoyed the first season once I got into it, for the record. I'll give this some more time but meh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:20 pm I watched the first half of the first episode of Bridgerton season 2 and I am already bored and looking for the eject button. I was just looking to fill the space before the second half of the final season of Ozark drops, but man is this not interesting. I really enjoyed the first season once I got into it, for the record. I'll give this some more time but meh.
Interesting, I think most people preferred the first season but personally I liked S2 better. I was more interested in the three brothers in S1 anyway so I guess it makes sense.

Not sure if there is much interest in romantic coming-of-age LGBTQ+ stories here, but Heartstopper was an absolute joy for me. It’s based on a webcomic and they did a fantastic job of re-creating iconic scenes from the comics. The soundtrack was really good too, and they use these simple adorable little special sticker effects whenever there’s something special happening. After binge-watching the entire season (way too short), I immediately ordered the books from Amazon, which apparently jumped to the top 10 after the show came out. It’s been getting great buzz and reviews, but I suspect it may still only appeal to a limited audience. Still thought it was worth mentioning just in case, as I’m really hoping it gets a second season so every bit of viewing helps lol. I’ve been so obsessed I keep re-watching my favorite scenes over and over. I’ve seen people reporting they’ve already watched the entire series 5-7 times which may be a bit much but I can definitely see the appeal for younger folk.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81059939
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:14 pm I didn't find it offensive, just not terribly funny.
I don't find it offensive either. That's not at issue. It's the material itself that isn't grabbing me. Because as I've said, it just feels tired when we've already all been there.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sorry, I took the lines from your reply
I find it hard to joke about, given we're still dealing with it for the most part
and
I just don't want to sit around laughing about people in a pandemic predicament.
to mean you found it offensive/in poor taste.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, yeah I guess can see how that would be taken. Meant it more as in we're all tired of it, therefore I'm not in a particular mood to want to be joking about it rather than it being offensive. I mean like you say, more power to them, but of the examples I've seen haven't been very good. It's like the scenarios themselves don't feel too inspired.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did Mike Myers just wake up one morning about 10 years or so ago and announce “welp, I’m done being funny”?

The Pentaverate is getting savaged by reviewers for a reason.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:07 pm Did Mike Myers just wake up one morning about 10 years or so ago and announce “welp, I’m done being funny”?

The Pentaverate is getting savaged by reviewers for a reason.
I watched the first episode because I needed to kill some time. It was bad. Really bad. As in not remotely funny, bad. All the jokes were 7-8th grade adolescent sex/dick jokes. And did I mention that they weren't funny?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Love Guru came out in 2008.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I watched the first episode and honestly felt bad for him.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I watched both trailers out of curiosity. I was amused to see references to Toronto and its suburb Scarborough (where I attended the same high school he did, a couple decades apart).

But other than that it just looks horribly unfunny. I think Myers has a gift for creating characters (or caricatures), but I just don't know who the jokes are for. Himself, I suppose? I mean there were two anus jokes just in the trailers.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've never personally found him funny other than Wayne's World. After that he seems to have been rather one-note. Saw an interview today where he was promoting the show and found it particularly sad that he had to keep referring to his past work from the 80's with Second City.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, no one found Shrek funny?

I also loved So I Married an Axe Murderer (when it came out) but the last time I watched it I questioned that love. It’s got about 5-10 really funny bits, but the rest is forgettable/bad.

Personally, I thought he was at his funniest on SNL.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Shrek was funny, as was Wayne’s World, and the first and maybe second Austin Powers, but Myers seems incapable of subtlety in his comedy and I fear that doesn’t age well. You can only go so far on slapstick in this day and age. I feel he wore that out years ago.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, I just forgot he voiced Shrek. He was great in that. Love those movies. And I think largely why it works because it's voice work, rather than him acting out on a set. And you're right, Hep, subtlety doesn't seem to be part of his skills. It's like he just tackles everything with blunt force no matter the topic.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:55 pm The Love Guru came out in 2008.
That may have been where the death spiral started, now that you mention it. Up until that movie, he seemed to be seen favorably. After that though? Whew.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Torfish wrote:Not sure if there is a thread dedicated to Ozark, so I will post my comments here.

I finished watching the latest episodes. They do not disappoint and probably the strongest yet in the series. I love the show very much. The actors are awesome and perfect in just about every role. Jason Bateman, Julia Garner, and Laura Linney are great. You can tell that the last few episodes ooze with passion from everyone involved. Definitely not a letdown which is nice. The story is crazy of course and sometimes goes too crazy. But all in all the show is overall in my top 10.
Just finished Ozark. Interesting ending. Not sure how to feel.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I read an interview with the writers that made it clear that that final shot happened just the way you think it would.

The real standout was Laura Linney this last half of the season. She took Wendy right up to the edge of total villain….then gave us a glimpse of what drives her through some pretty intimate moments I was not expecting. It was absolutely fantastic.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I enjoyed Volume 2, so this is a no-brainer

I'm still amazed this all started out as a modern version of Heavy Metal before ultimately turning into this Netflix series.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:58 pm I enjoyed Volume 2, so this is a no-brainer

I'm still amazed this all started out as a modern version of Heavy Metal before ultimately turning into this Netflix series.
Seconded.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:14 am I read an interview with the writers that made it clear that that final shot happened just the way you think it would.

The real standout was Laura Linney this last half of the season. She took Wendy right up to the edge of total villain….then gave us a glimpse of what drives her through some pretty intimate moments I was not expecting. It was absolutely fantastic.
Laura Linney trying to check herself into the mental health facility and her mini meltdowns were really hilarious. And her moments of vulnerability really made the character shine.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We started that one tonight. It's pretty great.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Lassr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:28 pm Sorry, not going to read through a 47 page thread to see if this one's been mentioned, but I highly recommend Love, Death + Robots to almost everyone here*. New "season" drops in a few days I think.
Yea, great to know. I loved about 75% of the episodes during season 1.
I blew through Season 2 last night (only 8 episodes, as they've split what would have been S2 into S2 and an upcoming S3). Loved most of them, and none were bad. Pop Squad, Snow in the Desert, and The Drowned Giant were particularly fantastic. The animation is spectacular throughout.
I'm two episodes into S3, and... am not disappointed.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:57 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Lassr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:28 pm Sorry, not going to read through a 47 page thread to see if this one's been mentioned, but I highly recommend Love, Death + Robots to almost everyone here*. New "season" drops in a few days I think.
Yea, great to know. I loved about 75% of the episodes during season 1.
I blew through Season 2 last night (only 8 episodes, as they've split what would have been S2 into S2 and an upcoming S3). Loved most of them, and none were bad. Pop Squad, Snow in the Desert, and The Drowned Giant were particularly fantastic. The animation is spectacular throughout.
I'm two episodes into S3, and... am not disappointed.
I just watched the Night of the Mini Dead episode. I didn't know how much I needed that until I watched it. My life was missing something and it turns out it was that episode. The rest of the season could be miserable (its not) and it would be worth it for that.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched the second episode (the crab one) last night.

That was amazing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:01 pm Watched the second episode (the crab one) last night.

That was amazing.
My favorite thus far, too. Still have a few to go.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Megathreads... ugh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

non breathable fabrics....ugh.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:04 pm Megathreads... ugh.
Speaking of which, I finally learned my lesson and made a dedicated thread for a show I wanted to discuss, right from the start. Progress! :horse:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Meh, I don't find them that egregious considering how many different shows on how many different streaming services there are. Now if we created a new forum alongside EBG called TV and Movies? :think:
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It does kinda suck when you want to talk about a show that was three pages back. I'm not a fan of 90% of the megathreads we have. I don't want to talk about Amazon shows, or Hulu shows, or Netflix shows. I want to talk about shows.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:31 pm Just finished watching Black Crab, 46% on RT, but I think it was better than that. Noomi Rapace is an insanely versatile actress, playing everything from Ripleyesque, to dragon tattoo girl, to even a femme fatale. My one peeve here was:
Spoiler:
Why did she jump off the cliff when she could have just launched the grenade. It would have been her only chance of ever seeing her daughter again.
Watched this over the weekend. I think 46% is generous. This was a very dumb movie.

For your spoiler
Spoiler:
She thought/knew her daughter was dead - thus the only way to see her was to die as well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles