News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stimpy

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:04 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:43 pm My issue with Javi is that he's your typical tv network cartel lord in that he's needlessly cruel, reckless, and apparently lucky as hell. It's like they just read a book on Pablo Escobar, but skimmed past the parts that discussed how clever he could be, and said "that's Javi!".

Finished part 1 of season 4 last night. Loved it. Can't wait for part 2 now.
Ahh, so in other words, someone whose luck is always is on their side. Yeah, that's annoying. Annoying for the same reasons I outlined above. I think it lessens the impact of what the others are going through. It's the 'nothing can go wrong with me, I've got luck on my side' trope.
Spoiler:
Javi is going to get taken down by a podunk young girl. All of those cutthroat cartel guys that Javi screwed over should be ashamed of themselves!! You can kill cops, but dont you dare mess with Ruth's cousin!!! And wtf was with the PI getting caught nose deep in a evidence bag? Did the cop who caught him just laugh it off and say "Get out of here, you scamp".
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh, great suggestions all. I'll check those out. Thanks!
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sounds like a great read, Is. I found The Spy and The Traitor to be a good introduction that was quite eye-opening.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:11 pm
Spoiler:
And wtf was with the PI getting caught nose deep in a evidence bag? Did the cop who caught him just laugh it off and say "Get out of here, you scamp".
Spoiler:
I believe that was a flashback to why the PI is no longer a detective. They mention he lost his job due to being caught doing drugs in the evidence room later in that episode.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:10 pm
stimpy wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:11 pm
Spoiler:
And wtf was with the PI getting caught nose deep in a evidence bag? Did the cop who caught him just laugh it off and say "Get out of here, you scamp".
Spoiler:
I believe that was a flashback to why the PI is no longer a detective. They mention he lost his job due to being caught doing drugs in the evidence room later in that episode.
Spoiler:
Wow....totally missed that.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finally watched Don’t Look Up. It was okay…but I had to struggle to keep watching it at times. Between the stunt casting and the low hanging comedy fruits they kept reaching for, I agree with the Rottentomatoes.com aggregate critic score of 56 percent. It might have helped if they’d cut about 45 minutes out of it though.
He won. Period.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

disarm wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:33 am
Lordnine wrote:Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but I've been watching Archive 81 and really enjoying. Slow burn horror series about a mystery concerning a fire at a residential apartment building in NYC. The story is told from the perspective of a video archivist who is trying to restore tapes that were damaged in the fire. The story jumps between him in the present and the woman who was filming in the past. If you enjoyed Hill House I think you will really like this one.
Archive 81 is based on a podcast that started in 2016, and although I haven't watched the show yet, it seems to be based on the first season of the audio drama. It's a pretty cool story that could translate really well to tv...at least for the first season. If they keep going with an attempt at telling the stories from later seasons, it gets really wild...lots of really crazy characters and concepts that I think would be very challenging to show on TV. If they keep going and pull it off, however, it's one heck of a crazy ride.
And finished. It's a good show but I didn't realize they were setting it up as a series. That would be my one complaint as I would prefer it to be stand alone but the last episode sets itself up for a follow-up season. Definitely worth a watch though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:49 pm The Harder They Fall

Enlarge Image
This is a pretty good western. For those who like the genre like I do, I would recommend it. The music is actually quite good. At first I was afraid using some contemporary tracks would take me out of it, but the music they use works. Lots of spirituals remixed with some newer sounds, and some reggae tossed in for good measure.

The cinematography is incredible at times. That was another big surprise as westerns usually don’t take a lot chances in that area. But this one does, and succeeds at it.

Also, I could stare at Zazie Beetz all day. :wub:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I just finished The Woman in the Window across the Street or whatever the heck it was called lol. I don't know if I can recommend it or not but I have to say the final twist was one of the funniest things I've ever seen (possibly not intended). It's a "mystery" show starring Veronica Mars, with super short episodes that go by really quick. Cliffhangers, twists, red herrings, etc. Not my normal cup of tea but this turned out to be a lot of fun.

Major Spoiler Below:
Spoiler:
The "fight" scene at the end with the killer was just so over the top ridiculous I couldn't stop laughing. Watching a grown woman take on a 9 year old girl was just so hilarious. I kept cheering for her and calling her Chucky. They really don't hold back too much which makes it all the funnier.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've watched a couple of episodes and I'm right there with you. I can't decide whether it's good or not. If you view it as the parody it's supposed to be, it has its moments. But sometimes it seems to try not to be a parody and it gets confusing.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That title though... :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:43 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:49 pm The Harder They Fall

Enlarge Image
This is a pretty good western. For those who like the genre like I do, I would recommend it. The music is actually quite good. At first I was afraid using some contemporary tracks would take me out of it, but the music they use works. Lots of spirituals remixed with some newer sounds, and some reggae tossed in for good measure.

The cinematography is incredible at times. That was another big surprise as westerns usually don’t take a lot chances in that area. But this one does, and succeeds at it.

This didn't really do much for me. To be fair, Westerns aren't really my thing, but I thought the story was pretty basic and there really weren't many surprises. Even the
Spoiler:
ending surprise wasn't really all that surprising or all that impactful for me.
It seemed like a move made more for the style than for the storytelling.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rittchard wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 pm I just finished The Woman in the Window across the Street or whatever the heck it was called lol. I don't know if I can recommend it or not but I have to say the final twist was one of the funniest things I've ever seen (possibly not intended). It's a "mystery" show starring Veronica Mars, with super short episodes that go by really quick. Cliffhangers, twists, red herrings, etc. Not my normal cup of tea but this turned out to be a lot of fun.

Major Spoiler Below:
Spoiler:
The "fight" scene at the end with the killer was just so over the top ridiculous I couldn't stop laughing. Watching a grown woman take on a 9 year old girl was just so hilarious. I kept cheering for her and calling her Chucky. They really don't hold back too much which makes it all the funnier.
We watched the first episode last night. I love Kristen Bell, but I am not sure I care to watch any more. It's just uncomfortable, but not the kind of uncomfortable that I enjoy, I guess. We'll see if the wife wants to keep going.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:59 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:43 pm

This didn't really do much for me. To be fair, Westerns aren't really my thing, but I thought the story was pretty basic and there really weren't many surprises. Even the
Spoiler:
ending surprise wasn't really all that surprising or all that impactful for me.
It seemed like a move made more for the style than for the storytelling.
In defense of my love of the movie, I'll just leave this right here. :P

He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's clearly a spaghetti western. I'm not particularly fond of that style myself as I prefer a good story to go along my Western, something along the lines of Godless.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

rittchard wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:25 pm I just finished The Woman in the Window across the Street or whatever the heck it was called lol. I don't know if I can recommend it or not but I have to say the final twist was one of the funniest things I've ever seen (possibly not intended). It's a "mystery" show starring Veronica Mars, with super short episodes that go by really quick. Cliffhangers, twists, red herrings, etc. Not my normal cup of tea but this turned out to be a lot of fun.

Major Spoiler Below:
Spoiler:
I told my wife I refuse to watch that show based on the title alone.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:12 pm It's clearly a spaghetti western. I'm not particularly fond of that style myself as I prefer a good story to go along my Western, something along the lines of Godless.
That's an apt description. However, I think the story is meant to be the standard western tale of revenge...but with an all black cast reflecting the realities of that time. They even have their own town that is separated from the world of the whites.

I also love that with Cherokee Bill, they play with the concept of the famous gunfighter.

But man, the cinematography is fantastic. Check out the 30 second mark in this scene from a gunfight towards the end of the movie.

Warning: contains a spoiler
Spoiler:
Just absolutely beautifully shot.

p.s. Sergio Leone was essentially the inventor of the spaghetti western and his films most certainly had good stories. Often very involved ones.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:07 pm

p.s. Sergio Leone was essentially the inventor of the spaghetti western and his films most certainly had good stories. Often very involved ones.
Involved is one way to put it. I'm kind of mixed on him, to be honest. I find some of his movies to be so drawn out. My favourite though is probably Once Upon a Time in the West.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s a good one. But the Man with No Name trilogy is one of the pinnacles of spaghetti westerns….hell, I’d say westerns in general.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, definitely. Plus the Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That’s part of the trilogy. :wink:
He won. Period.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:06 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:07 pm

Involved is one way to put it. I'm kind of mixed on him, to be honest. I find some of his movies to be so drawn out. My favourite though is probably Once Upon a Time in the West.
I just watch that again last weekend with my kids. Man do I love that movie. The music, the close ups on Charles Bronson's eyes, Claudia Cardinale. It's just tremendous.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, the score is iconic Leone. You immediately know what it is when you hear it. And at the same time, it's one of those scores that defined Westerns.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Personally, I think Ennio Morricone's score for The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the iconic western movie theme.

I have the Man with No Name trilogy on blu ray. I think it's time for a rewatch this weekend with all this talk. :wub:
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sorry, you're right. I got the two of them mixed up in my head :D

I do find Once Upon a Time in the West's score has more of a majestic sweeping quality to it though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I thought "Small Town Crime" was really good, felt fresh in a grungy sort of way. ...and I've always like the Nova. :mrgreen:
two months
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of Netflix content, we got back into Anne with an E, and the song they chose as its theme song is somewhat of an odd choice in my opinion. It doesn't really thematically fit, and I think something like an orchestral score would have been better. What they ended up choosing was 'Ahead by a Century' by The Tragically Hip, a Canadian band that most Americans wouldn't know about, so my only thought is that since the series was being sold worldwide, that they were hoping more would come to find out about the band and its music.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

2022 teaser trailer

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:25 pm I do find Once Upon a Time in the West's score has more of a majestic sweeping quality to it though.
That score is glorious. I'm amused that film is your preference if you find some of his films "drawn out" though. :lol:

Of TMWNN trilogy, For a Few Dollars More is my preference for both story and score. The Good... is a little sprawling for my tastes. But I owe them all a fresh viewing.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:07 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:25 pm I do find Once Upon a Time in the West's score has more of a majestic sweeping quality to it though.
That score is glorious. I'm amused that film is your preference if you find some of his films "drawn out" though. :lol:

Of TMWNN trilogy, For a Few Dollars More is my preference for both story and score. The Good... is a little sprawling for my tastes. But I owe them all a fresh viewing.
I know this isn't necessarily a popular opinion, but I could have done without the Civil War bridge segment of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It was a bit heavy-handed and the movie is plenty long enough.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The destruction of said bridge?

The best part of that is that they had to blow it up twice as the crew mistakenly thought Sergio had yelled out to do it, when he actually hadn't.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:55 pm Speaking of Netflix content, we got back into Anne with an E, and the song they chose as its theme song is somewhat of an odd choice in my opinion. It doesn't really thematically fit, and I think something like an orchestral score would have been better. What they ended up choosing was 'Ahead by a Century' by The Tragically Hip, a Canadian band that most Americans wouldn't know about, so my only thought is that since the series was being sold worldwide, that they were hoping more would come to find out about the band and its music.
TTH is one of my absolute favorite bands.
When they streamed the final show, my wife and I decided to rent a secluded cabin for the weekend and just hang out together, get high and enjoy life for a few days. I brought my laptop and hooked it up to the huge tv and just cranked it, danced and cried.
Watching that concert was a very emotional event for me.
We miss Gord and TTH terribly.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Heh, yeah, looking back on it, I can see why. But for some reason I don't mind it in this movie. It all depends on the pacing and what it does with the time. And FWIW, I tried watching Once Upon a Time in America, and I don't think that one holds up nearly as well. Comes across feeling quite dated now.
stimpy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:27 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:55 pm Speaking of Netflix content, we got back into Anne with an E, and the song they chose as its theme song is somewhat of an odd choice in my opinion. It doesn't really thematically fit, and I think something like an orchestral score would have been better. What they ended up choosing was 'Ahead by a Century' by The Tragically Hip, a Canadian band that most Americans wouldn't know about, so my only thought is that since the series was being sold worldwide, that they were hoping more would come to find out about the band and its music.
TTH is one of my absolute favorite bands.
When they streamed the final show, my wife and I decided to rent a secluded cabin for the weekend and just hang out together, get high and enjoy life for a few days. I brought my laptop and hooked it up to the huge tv and just cranked it, danced and cried.
Watching that concert was a very emotional event for me.
We miss Gord and TTH terribly.
Yeah, just surprised me that's what they ended up choosing. Comes across sounding too modern a choice.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:20 pm
Heh, yeah, looking back on it, I can see why. But for some reason I don't mind it in this movie. It all depends on the pacing and what it does with the time. And FWIW, I tried watching Once Upon a Time in America, and I don't think that one holds up nearly as well. Comes across feeling quite dated now.
This we agree on. I bought the restored version of Once Upon a Time in America and I couldn’t finish it. It just feels so odd. Leone’s sensibilities work great with westerns, but they seem out of touch in a gangster movie.
Last edited by hepcat on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:00 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:20 pm
This we agree on. I bought the restored version of Once Upon a Time in America and I couldn’t finish it. It just feels so odd. Leona’s sensibilities work great with westerns, but they seem out of touch in a gangster movie.
Ok, good to hear it's not just me. Thought I was broken. I mean, it's Leone, right? :D I also think some of the effects haven't held up too well.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished "the woman in the house across the street from the girl in the window" last night. I'll mostly say I am glad it is over (and that it was very short). if it could have decided if it was a parody or not I think I would have enjoyed it. As it is, I tolerated it. If I weren't a Kristen Bell fan I doubt I would have made it to the end.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:44 am Finished "the woman in the house across the street from the girl in the window" last night. I'll mostly say I am glad it is over (and that it was very short). if it could have decided if it was a parody or not I think I would have enjoyed it. As it is, I tolerated it. If I weren't a Kristen Bell fan I doubt I would have made it to the end.
I on the other hand gave it a hard pass as soon as I saw Kristen Bell's mug. Looks like I made the right choice.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:49 am I on the other hand gave it a hard pass as soon as I saw Kristen Bell's mug. Looks like I made the right choice.
Why do you hate beautiful women?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:16 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:49 am I on the other hand gave it a hard pass as soon as I saw Kristen Bell's mug. Looks like I made the right choice.
Why do you hate beautiful women?
I adore beautiful women, but she's no Elisabeth Moss.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter