News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

I thought that one might get me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:06 pm The Killer

Enlarge Image
This is not what I was expecting. It’s quite good. Fincher and Fassbender have created a character you both hate and like.
Spoiler:
One scene in particular stood out for me. Fassbender’s assassin kills a woman in an incredibly quick and brutal fashion at one point. It makes you gasp….but then you realize what he just did is as close to kindness as he can allow for himself.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sweet, Felix Unger. And Archibald Bunker! And of course Oscar Madison. With Howard Cunningham. Reuben Kincaid - now that's getting obscure. Guest starring Lou Grant and Sam Malone. And a cameo by George Jefferson. Co-starring Robert Hartley.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:P Yeah, I chuckled every time Fassbender’s hitman used a sitcom name alias. I loved that they added an umlaut over the U in Bunker.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I loved it. It's memorable not because of a fresh plot, but because of how enjoyable the main character and his inner monologue is. And then of course the technical stuff Fincher does so well, and the Reznor/Ross score. I don't think I'd watch it again, but I'll remember it fondly.

It reminded me a bit of The Limey (1999), though that film had a sentimentality to it that's absent here.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh, good call on the comparison to the The Limey. They both are characters studies of men who aren't quite the hero you're expecting. Yet you're given a glimpse into their inner monologues that help you understand them without making you condone quite a bit of what they do.

Side note: Here's an explanation for that ending from Fincher himself.
Spoiler:
Fincher explains why, after killing both innocent and guilty alike in his quest for revenge/safety, he lets Claybourne go free.
Another side note: I truly believe that the hollywood version of the hitman is almost completely hogwash. I'm betting the vast majority of hitman are more akin to the folks in those stories you read about that were hired off the dark web by angry spouses to off their mates, and that then screw it up so badly they get everyone caught.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hitman outsourced a murder to hitman, who hired hitman, who hired hitman, who hired hitman
Ling, rather than kick the proverbial can down the road to another hitman, ended up reaching out to the rival developer to tell him about the hit out for him, authorities say.

Ling and the developer ended up faking the murder, staging an image of the developer with his hands tied — which then circulated through the chain of hitmen back to Tan, the businessman who hired the first hitman.

The developer, however, reported his would-be murder to police.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Coming soon to Netflix...
Hitman. The Pyramid Scheme.

Also I guess everything IS being outsourced these days.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've put up an ad on the dark web for seminars on remote work assassinations. Essentially, I try to sell a book on how to convince your target to drop dead over the phone.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

You can also just ask a shinigami for their notebook. Makes it super easy and untraceable.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, folding all those papers into tiny cranes would probably make me wanna kill myself.

...OOOH....SHINigami.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:39 am Side note: Here's an explanation for that ending from Fincher himself.
Spoiler:
Fincher explains why, after killing both innocent and guilty alike in his quest for revenge/safety, he lets Claybourne go free.
LMAO at Screen Rant's spoiler tag in the title. It's vague, but it would still piss me off to read that before watching.
Spoiler:
I thought it was risky in not knowing whether the mogul's ego might outweigh his fear of reprisal. The killer warns him "if I have to return I'm going to wind a sriracha-coated corkscrew up your urethra... " well, that's only if you survive the next hit attempt. But, it sheds further light on his Samurai-like code. I also assumed his comment about law enforcement being more motivated to solve crimes against the wealthy meant that was a factor in his decision, but perhaps that was obvious.
Another side note: I truly believe that the hollywood version of the hitman is almost completely hogwash. I'm betting the vast majority of hitman are more akin to the folks in those stories you read about that were hired off the dark web by angry spouses to off their mates, and that then screw it up so badly they get everyone caught.
It's the regular Hollywood conventions that annoy me. Stomping on a cell phone doesn't do shit. (Though this film does go further at one point.) Shooting nails through a laptop at random has an extremely low probability of destroying all the data. (SSDs are easier to ruin than HDDs though?) Real-world silencers aren't as effective at dampening sound. Snapping someone's neck is HARD. Etc., etc. But I like that this film lampshades surveillance cameras, unlike in many other modern thrillers in which they just pretend they don't exist.
Last edited by Sudy on Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The thing I found a bit hard to swallow is that
Spoiler:
the Killer was buying what essentially amounts to kidnapping kits at nearby Home Depots more than once. That's what gets people caught, for crying out loud.
But I think the process was a distant second (maybe even third) to the character study in terms of importance in the film.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:54 pm The thing I found a bit hard to swallow is that
Spoiler:
the Killer was buying what essentially amounts to kidnapping kits at nearby Home Depots more than once. That's what gets people caught, for crying out loud.
But I think the process was a distant second (maybe even third) to the character study in terms of importance in the film.
Yeah, I agree on both counts.
Spoiler:
But at the time I was like, did you not see that Breaking Bad scene?
Spoiler:
LOL at comparing Tilda Swinton with white hair to a Q-tip. Unfortunately I'm always going to be remembering that in relation to her.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:54 pm The thing I found a bit hard to swallow is that
Spoiler:
Yeah, Jack Arnold would get busted in a second.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rant incoming:

Blood Dragon was based off of 80s action flicks, with cutscenes inspired by 80s Saturday morning cartoons.

It wasn't another #*&)#$ anime! Hey, studios: There are other art styles out there. You should try one of them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

80s cartoons were WAY worse, aesthetically speaking. I think they only animated every 27th cell. I’ll take this over that any day. Although I still prefer the animation found in DC animated films and, of course, Arcane. But I’m guessing they didn’t have near enough budget for the latter. And anime is quick to pump out via Asian studios, I would think.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wasn't talking about the messy lines and static backgrounds. It's more about matching the broader style (colors, body proportions, how action is presented, etc) over choosing a completely different style (and one that is horribly overdone - it seems like anime or quasi-anime art styles account for almost all animation that isn't a straight comedy.) One was a poorly drawn attempt at realism, the other is almost caricature.

Yes, I'm being grumbly over something stupid that I don't feel a ton of desire to watch in the first place. I'm just really sick of the exaggerated spiky-hair-giant-eyes-flat-shading-skinny-with-giant-hand-and-feet art style. And I actually like anime! But I just don't think it's visual style is appropriate for every single story or license.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

‘Shadow And Bone’, ‘Glamorous’ & ‘Agent Elvis’ Among 5 Series Canceled By Netflix Amid Strike Impact
EXCLUSIVE: Netflix will not be going forward with more seasons of live-action series Shadow and Bone and Glamorous and adult animated comedies Agent Elvis, Farzar and Captain Fall.

The decision was made a week after the end of the SAG-AFTRA strike and a month and a half after the end of the WGA work stoppage as networks and platforms continue to evaluate the impact from the strike-related seven-month production shutdown.
Shadow and Bone is the highest-profile series and the only sophomore entry in the group. Inspired by Leigh Bardugo’s bestselling Grishaverse novels, it developed devoted following by fans and has been an important title for Netflix, also spawning a video game franchise for the streamer.

However, Season 2 of the big-budget fantasy drama, which launched in March, did not have the same impact Season 1 did. The series spent five weeks in the weekly Top 10 for English-language series without getting to No.1. That, coupled with the potential delay of Season 3, likely factored into the decision not to move forward.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bummer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel like Shadow and Bone told its story. It ended with most things resolved. Captain Fall was actually getting interesting at the end. It started off weak and I was going to give up on it. But it started to develop a real story that I was interested to follow. Agent Elvis never clicked with me.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife is a big fan of Shadow and Bone and knew it’s author. It was quite enjoyable, and there was still a book left to cover.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I thought they had pretty much finished the Shadow & Bone trilogy in the two seasons. I honestly didn't think they were going to have a third, but if they did I imagine it would be switching to the Six of Crows duology.

I say this as though I really know what's going on, but in reality it's my oldest kid who is more into it. My wife and I have read him the five books, but since we alternate nights reading, I've actually only read about half of them. I only saw bits and pieces of the TV show when my son was watching it. All that is to say to take my observations with a grain of salt.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ugh, Leave the World Behind is the latest casualty of a Netflix movie featuring top-tier talent, in this case Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke. Just a terrible movie all around. Supposed to be a post-apocalyptic movie, but the dialogue is just so casual, none of them actually selling the scenario. Just a casual stroll in the park to them. The movie just throws together a number of things slowly revealed throughout the movie that never amount to anything. And that ending! Argh, what an annoying ending. Slow buildup of a movie with no payoff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What, man, have you no heart? ...I'll be there for you...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Song of the Bandits was good fun*. I suppose Netflix is unhappy that I didn't watch it months ago but I was busy with other things (BG3) then!

* fun for a show that ends as it does
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scott Pilgrim Takes Off is outstanding. That is all.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:Scott Pilgrim Takes Off is outstanding. That is all.
Definitely. My younger daughter is now obsessed with Young Neal.

And the original cast was back. So very many talented people.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It also reminded me that this gem exists

He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I... I'm not...

That was pretty awesome. :lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

TheMix wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:40 pm I... I'm not...

Whatever....
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

TheMix wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:40 pm I... I'm not...

Liam Lynch is hysterical. He's a well respected musician, director, writer, etc.. I personally love his old series of videos about a wannabe metal rock god who can only get musical gigs singing for local advertisements in his town.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And he's still pretty active.
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lynch directed the 2006 film Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny after working with Tenacious D in 2002, having directed the music video for their song "Tribute".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: What makes it all work so well is that he actually makes really good songs...then throws in silly ass lyrics that make you laugh.
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Surprised nobody posted this yet.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

IN!
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Indiewire totally savages Rebel Moon, Zack Snyders newest film.

https://www.indiewire.com/criticism/mov ... 234935678/
The cinematic equivalent of an NFT.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ouch, that's too bad as I was really looking forward to it. However, I've also long come to the realization that Zack Snyder misses more than he hits with me so it's not a total shock.