Abortion news and discussion

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Abortion news and discussion

Post by Isgrimnur »

They have to get rid of that natural-born citizen rule first.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If all babies conceived must be birthed, what are the chances they will grow up Repugnicans?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:48 pm They have to get rid of that natural-born citizen rule first.
Bingo.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

What - and I cannot possibly stress this enough - the fuck?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:48 pm They have to get rid of that natural-born citizen rule first.
In Australia they got rid of that rule and happily deport 5 year olds born to foreign parents now.

In the UK it used to be that your mother had to be British.

Now these countries are toying with laws to effectively banish people by stripping citizenship.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:29 pm What - and I cannot possibly stress this enough - the fuck?
The level of unhinged ranting coming out of this story is ... scary. They went from claiming it was made up to now saying ... sure it's real but that 10-year old would have someday appreciated her rape child and should have been forced to carry it. And are now essentially opening a doctor who provided medical care to a child to threats of violence and state persecution. You can't help to think things are really finally unraveling here.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:46 pm And are now essentially opening a doctor who provided medical care to a child to threats of violence and state persecution. You can't help to think things are really finally unraveling here.

It's part of the all fronts strategy Doctors/clinics/hospitals are watching and even if it's legal in their state, they'll have to think twice about all the shit they may endure simply for providing care to someone from out of state.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:46 pm
So, the AG clearly lied. And wont even be asked to explain himself, I'm sure.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He said he couldn't obtain the records? Not necessarily a lie in the lawyerly sense. It's bullshit, of course, but I'm sure there's some angle in which it's not technically a lie. He never said the records didn't exist or were impossible to obtain. Just that he couldn't get them. Maybe the office was closed when he called at 11:23 pm. Maybe he forgot his password. Post truth is also post lie.

On another front, notice their immediate pivot to the sanctity of HIPAA compliance as another avenue of attack on this doctor (no violations that I can see, BTW). Keep it in mind when they start demanding they providers publicly release names of patients who have abortions.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Indiana, leading the way, again.

The state is silent most of the time, but when Indiana does speak, the world listens.

And asks, "WTF?"
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:35 amOn another front, notice their immediate pivot to...
This story has been nothing if not a series of ungrounded pivots meant to terrorize people about the consequences they face if they dare buck the new anti-abortion program.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:04 pm If all babies conceived must be birthed, what are the chances they will grow up Repugnicans?
Same chance of them being dummycrats. :)
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Breaking: The House just passed the Women's Health Protection Act to protect the right to an abortion, 219 to 210.

All Republicans and one Democrat voted against the bill.
The one (D) to vote against it was Henry Cuellar, proudly representing the 28th District of TX.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is very good news. Now Repugnicans will be on the record opposing women's right to choose. Dems need to hammer this message like nobody's business.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:39 am This is very good news. Now Repugnicans will be on the record opposing women's right to choose. Dems need to hammer this message like nobody's business.
They weren't on record already?

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:45 am
Jaymann wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:39 am This is very good news. Now Repugnicans will be on the record opposing women's right to choose. Dems need to hammer this message like nobody's business.
They weren't on record already?
This is very specific, and no woman in her right mind should vote for any of them.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Except that a meaningful number of women agree with them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:29 am Except that a meaningful number of women agree with them.
This. It typically takes some form of “it only happens to ‘them‘“ (I.e. non-Christian, liberal, poor, “sluts”, etc) It’s the logical extension of “if it isn’t personally affecting me, it doesn’t matter” that we see writ large with conservatives.

And on the chance it does end up affecting them directly, there’s always an excuse as to why their case should be an exception.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh, hi there more unintended(?) consequences!

Doctors in Texas are now refusing to treat women with pregnancy complications because they're (justifiably) afraid they could be fined or jailed.
The Texas Medical Association (TMA) is raising the alarm on what they believe to be a growing number of cases in the state in which healthcare professionals are siding against providing care for women with severe pregnancy complications for fear of violating the state's abortion ban.

According to The Dallas Morning News' Allie Morris, a letter sent by members of the non-profit organization Wednesday to the Texas Medical Board claimed the association has received complaints regarding hospital administrators disallowing medical care providers from offering critical services to patients with ectopic pregnancies and other child birth complications.
I expect we see the infant and maternal mortality rates skyrocket in red states, not that conservatives care. I mean, it's only women that are being affected, not Christian men. Everyone knows those are the only people who truly matter.

So, I gotta ask...is Texas a "sh*thole country" yet?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Arizona judge bizarrly allow a wrongful death case for an aborted fetus to continue. TL;DR W had a chemical abortion in 7th week of pregnancy via pills supplied by a clinic. Four years later, her ex-husband somehow got a judge to approve an estate for the aborted fetus, and is suing the clinic and the woman for wrongful death. What's really bizarre, the husband had accompanied her to the clinic 3 times and was already in process of divorce.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:29 am Except that a meaningful number of women agree with them.
Hence the qualifier "in her right mind."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh.
Paul’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on why he didn’t support the Meredith nomination.
The fact that Biden was agreeing to support the nomination probably had Rand Paul super conflicted over what to do.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Whatever his motivation, it's a pretty lucky out for Biden.

I'm sure they probably colluded and fist-bumped behind the scenes.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

By a 4-1 margin, the Idaho GOP voted to let women die rather than have an abortion to save her life.

Deplorable was never a strong enough word for these regressive chuds.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Between that and people honestly saying it's totally fine that a 10 year old is pregnant and she should be giving birth, I'm genuinely questioning how many insane people live among us.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:29 pm Huh.
Paul’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on why he didn’t support the Meredith nomination.
The fact that Biden was agreeing to support the nomination probably had Rand Paul super conflicted over what to do.
Are we sure our hero The Neighbor hasn’t been at work here?
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:29 pm Huh.
He wasn't cut in on the horse trade between Biden and Mitch so he let them know his displeasure by nixing the deal.

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not that I really needed another reason to dislike Harbaugh, but...here's another one to stack on the pile.
Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh lent his celebrity and voice to a pro-life event on Sunday in Plymouth, Michigan, sharing his reasoning why he's against abortion.

According to the Detroit Catholic publication, Harbaugh and his wife, Sarah, were speakers at the Plymouth Right to Life event at the Inn at St. John's, designed to raise money for several pro-life charities and programs in southeast Michigan.

"In God’s plan, each unborn human truly has a future filled with potential, talent, dreams and love," Harbaugh said. "I have living proof in my family, my children, and the many thousands that I’ve coached that the unborn are amazing gifts from God to make this world a better place. To me, the right choice is to have the courage to let the unborn be born."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Let me be the first to say F all 195 of these GOP reps.

195 House Republicans voted against the Right to Contraception Act.

Eight GOP reps — Cheney (Wyo), Fitzpatrick (Pa), Gonzalez (Ohio), Katko (NY), Kinzinger (Ill), Mace (SC), Salazar (Fla) and Upton (Mich) — voted with unanimous Dems.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'm kind of surprised this had less Republican support than the bill to protect marriage equality. (47 GOP Representatives voted for that).

Anyone know why this one got fewer votes?
stessier

Post by stessier »

I suspect because many contraceptives can be classified as abortifacients (especially if you define life starting at conception).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just a reminder that Matt Gaetz is an honestly awful human being.

Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ugh. What the hell.
That’s just so fucking foul.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

See, the thing is a guy like Gaetz shouldn't be able to show homis face in the office. How someone like him is allowed to fly into DC and do his job without being roundly shut down by his colleagues is why we are where we are.

I can't vote for or against him but I vote for my reps. And I've told them straight up that part of their responsibility is to make sure trash like Gaetz can't work and doesn't benefit from his position.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Every mention of his name should be prefaced with "known pedophile" or "sex trafficker".
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:12 am I can't vote for or against him but I vote for my reps. And I've told them straight up that part of their responsibility is to make sure trash like Gaetz can't work and doesn't benefit from his position.
How do I send that message?
malchior

Post by malchior »

This situation with Rokita keeps getting dumber.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:01 pm I'm kind of surprised this had less Republican support than the bill to protect marriage equality. (47 GOP Representatives voted for that).

Anyone know why this one got fewer votes?
I think the heat on the right is higher for abortion related issues than for anti-LGBT issues. There's plenty of both, but abortion seems to be higher on the hate list.
Black Lives Matter.