Abortion news and discussion

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Abortion news and discussion

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:58 am When you use the label, Christo-Fascist, I sometimes recoil as it seems a little over the top. Definitely not so here.
Then please, allow me to continue:

Pence calls for a national abortion ban. He did not call for legislation to that effect, but called for the fight to stop abortion to continue in each state across the country.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Continuing to re-define what "deplorable" means I see.

For those keeping track

Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge has just certified that the Supreme Court has overturned Roe. Abortion is now immediately illegal in Arkansas.

Abortion is now illegal in six states -- Arkansas, South Dakota, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri and Oklahoma.
But the people saying this was the goal in 2016 were told they were being hysterical. *Hours* after the decision was published its now illegal in 6 states. In Arkansas providers face up to 10 years in prison.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:36 pm Continuing to re-define what "deplorable" means I see.

For those keeping track

Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge has just certified that the Supreme Court has overturned Roe. Abortion is now immediately illegal in Arkansas.

Abortion is now illegal in six states -- Arkansas, South Dakota, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri and Oklahoma.
But the people saying this was the goal in 2016 were told they were being hysterical. *Hours* after the decision was published its now illegal in 6 states. In Arkansas providers face up to 10 years in prison.
Remember when some of us said that Barrett was chosen specifically to overturn Roe and were told she was a very serious person who'd never do that. Yeah, right. I'm done with the tone police.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So I just had a conversation with someone who knows *way more* about this topic than me. Apparently, the red states anticipated the Dick's type programs and already some have legislation in the pipeline to make providing support for abortion even out of state illegal. Some states like MO are apparently contemplating Texas style private AG enforcement where citizens can sue businesses in their states that enable abortions. They are also preparing legislation to make it a crime for a citizen of their state to get an abortion in another state. It's fucking nuts.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Stuff like this will lead to a de facto national divorce as people with any sense will move out of the crazy states.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:26 pm Stuff like this will lead to a de facto national divorce as people with any sense will move out of the crazy states.
You'd hope. But if you follow the data, this will disproportionately impact marginalized populations (big surprise) - people that will not have the means to travel for an abortion and/or the ability to relocate permanently.

So just like all things public health, depending on your zip code (perhaps the one you were born in), your overall health outcomes across a lifetime are going to be potentially impacted.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Feeling extra gross:
Following a Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, ending the constitutional right to abortion in the U.S., Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton marked the event by closing his offices statewide Friday and creating a holiday.

A release from his office said the closure, set to start at noon, is “in honor of the nearly 70 million unborn babies killed in the womb since 1973.” June 24 will also be recognized as an annual holiday for the Office of the Attorney General because of the decision, the release said.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Seriously. There will be violence.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:40 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:26 pm Stuff like this will lead to a de facto national divorce as people with any sense will move out of the crazy states.
You'd hope. But if you follow the data, this will disproportionately impact marginalized populations (big surprise) - people that will not have the means to travel for an abortion and/or the ability to relocate permanently.

So just like all things public health, depending on your zip code (perhaps the one you were born in), your overall health outcomes across a lifetime are going to be potentially impacted.
Also contrary to popular belief in the goddess Northeast we don’t have abortion clinics on every block so if you’re going to travel you may have a long way to travel and don’t forget lodging.

I’ve heard of teledoc consults where abortion advice and prescriptions for abortion pills can be obtained from doctors in the free states of America. Now these states are scrambling to pass laws protecting their doctors from being prosecuted by the Giliad states.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So, who are we donating to?

One that I've seen mentioned several times: https://abortionfunds.org
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:13 pm I’ve heard of teledoc consults where abortion advice and prescriptions for abortion pills can be obtained from doctors in the free states of America. Now these states are scrambling to pass laws protecting their doctors from being prosecuted by the Giliad states.
Yes, it's not 1973 anymore and I'd imagine the use of the so-called "abortion pills" will potentially make things easier, but I'm also confident that states are going to try and clamp down on that (mail order option) and then require doctors report any woman coming to an ER with symptoms consistent with use of these pills.

All of it is beyond gross and even knowing it was coming...still just absolutely horrific to try and process.

EDIT: Didn't realize a statement had been made

Attorney General Merrick Garland said today that states cannot ban mifepristone — an FDA-approved abortion pill
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

BREAKING: Abortion is now illegal in Alabama, with providers facing a maximum sentence of life in prison
It's amazing how fast these troglodytes move when it suits them. Guns? No, no we can't do anything. But not even one goddamn business day and it's already a life-in-prison crime.

(and yes I know they had trigger laws on the books in anticipation)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:19 pm Yes, it's not 1973 anymore and I'd imagine the use of the so-called "abortion pills" will potentially make things easier, but I'm also confident that states are going to try and clamp down on that (mail order option) and then require doctors report any woman coming to an ER with symptoms consistent with use of these pills.
Even more sinister is that health tracking apps (like a Fitbit or Apple Watch or whatever) can detect signs that a person has quit menstruating and begun a pregnancy.

It's unclear whether that data is immune to state review.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

OHIO

Abortion in Ohio is now banned once a fetal heartbeat can be detected. This is about six weeks gestation (four weeks after conception or two weeks after a missed period if your cycle is regular).
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is going to become a religious-rights issue.

In Judaism (and, although I know less about it, in Islam and Hinduism, at least), abortion is a right accorded to pregnant people at risk not only in health but in situation. The fetus is not a person until it emerges from the mother. Until then, the mother's physical, mental, and social well-being takes precedence. By Jewish law, a fetus is just a part of the mother's body.

Outlawing abortion violates the 1st Amendment, and I expect that we'll hear a lot more about this very soon.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'd really like to see corporations shun the fascist states.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:39 pm This is going to become a religious-rights issue.

In Judaism (and, although I know less about it, in Islam and Hinduism, at least), abortion is a right accorded to pregnant people at risk not only in health but in situation. The fetus is not a person until it emerges from the mother. Until then, the mother's physical, mental, and social well-being takes precedence. By Jewish law, a fetus is just a part of the mother's body.

Outlawing abortion violates the 1st Amendment, and I expect that we'll hear a lot more about this very soon.
Is 5700ish lunar-solar years of tradition enough history for Thomas?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The 1A religious protections are for CHRISTIANS. I don’t think Jewish citizens are Christian, so their beliefs probably won’t matter to this court.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seriously. Let me know when the State of Maine is providing money to a school run by The Satanic Temple.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:32 pm Seriously. Let me know when the State of Maine is providing money to a school run by The Satanic Temple.
Some good news with Maine doing some legislative jujitsu to circumvent the ruling...

From NYT
Anticipating this week’s decision, Maine lawmakers enacted a crucial amendment to the state’s anti-discrimination law last year in order to counteract the expected ruling. The revised law forbids discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation, and it applies to every private school that chooses to accept public funds, without regard to religious affiliation.

The impact was significant: The two religious schools at issue in the Carson case, Bangor Christian Schools and Temple Academy, said that they would decline state funds if, as Maine’s new law requires, accepting such funds would require them to change how they operate or alter their “admissions standards” to admit L.G.B.T.Q. students.

The legislative fix made by Maine lawmakers offers a model for lawmakers elsewhere who are alarmed by the court’s aggressive swing to the right. Maine’s example shows that those on the losing end of a case can often outmaneuver the court and avoid the consequences of a ruling.

By enacting its law, Maine was able to assure its taxpayers that they will not be complicit in discriminating against L.G.B.T.Q. students, because private schools that discriminate will be ineligible for public funds. The law will limit church-state entanglement, assuming other religious schools decline funding for the same reasons as the schools in Carson. And although nondiscriminatory private schools can still receive public funds, Maine can eliminate that program at any point — a fact the court conceded. (Whether it should is a closer question that ought to turn on the program’s impact on educational equity.)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It will lead to people with any sense wishing they could move out of the crazy states (the Indiana governor has called for a special legislative session within the next two weeks.)

A lot of us are stuck in the red states - we live here because we don't have any choice, either because of the cost here is the only place we can afford to living on a fixed income, or because of family (or in my case, both.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:31 pm
It will lead to people with any sense wishing they could move out of the crazy states (the Indiana governor has called for a special legislative session within the next two weeks.)

A lot of us are stuck in the red states - we live here because we don't have any choice, either because of the cost here is the only place we can afford to living on a fixed income, or because of family (or in my case, both.)
And it will be harder when corporate goons running international corporations decide that they really like the tax breaks and freedom from regulations they enjoy in Gilead states. They'll be under immediate pressure to repress a brain-drain by punishing/firing employees who decide to move Blue.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Let me take that a step further: if it were actually a possibility for me to have the freedom to choose to do so, I wouldn't move to a blue state. At this point, I'd emigrate out of the country. Money and commitments aside, being disabled prevents that, but it's still my 'hit the lottery' go-to.

As it is, I hope to convince my immediate (as in 'in the house') family to move elsewhere within the country as soon as external commitments are no longer holding us here (the external commitment is one very elderly relative - not to sound heartless, we all love her to death and will stay here as long as she needs us.) My first choice is Vermont.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:39 pm This is going to become a religious-rights issue.

While reproductive rights varies based on movement of Judaism, not only do pretty much all(?) of them allow it in the situation where the life of the mother is at stake, it's required in such a situation.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:44 pm
Mitch McConnell stole one seat from Obama, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave hers to trump. In the real timeline, liberals have a 5-4 majority right now.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:38 pm As it is, I hope to convince my immediate (as in 'in the house') family to move elsewhere within the country as soon as external commitments are no longer holding us here (the external commitment is one very elderly relative - not to sound heartless, we all love her to death and will stay here as long as she needs us.) My first choice is Vermont.
Then we will be almost-neighbors. We're moving to western MA within the next two years and I have a very good friend in Vermont already. You'll be happy there.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First off, fuck Mitch McConnell.

Second, if you're curious to know what some of the response has been globally:

Your face when you're already busy with the war in your country 🇺🇦 but also find out your sisters' rights are in danger in 🇺🇲
#WomensRightsAreHumanRights
Dear American sisters, we stand with you.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:26 pm
Mitch McConnell stole one seat from Obama, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave hers to trump. In the real timeline, liberals have a 5-4 majority right now.
Not to mention the fact that the Republican presidents that seated these monsters didn't win the popular vote.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://thesatanictemple.com/
While the SCOTUS decision is clearly a major set back, the Supreme Court has repeatedly affirmed religious rights. The Satanic Temple is currently suing the state of Texas to protect our civil rights. Our Texas claims are untethered to the due process Clause. They are a direct interpretation of the right of conscience in the Free Exercise Clause. We have requested alternative science-based abortion counseling in Minnesota. We will also be suing the FDA for unrestricted religious access to Mifepristone and Misoprostol.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Axios
Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement Friday, in the wake of the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, that states cannot ban mifepristone, a medication that is used to bring about an abortion, based on disagreement with the federal government on its safety and efficacy.
Which is great. You know, as long as he's attorney general.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:31 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:26 pm
Not to mention the fact that the Republican presidents that seated these monsters didn't win the popular vote.
The Right planned, aka schemed, and the left failed. :( And it's still happening.

Also, Zaxxon follows Steve Albini. Wow. Maybe there is a use for Twitter after all. I was tempted to go down the rabbit hole of Steve Albini's twitter past. He's got a history of working with artists I've come to love. To say nothing of Big Black.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:22 am Axios
Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement Friday, in the wake of the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, that states cannot ban mifepristone, a medication that is used to bring about an abortion, based on disagreement with the federal government on its safety and efficacy.
Which is great. You know, as long as he's attorney general.
Also it is meaningless. States will not ban the drug because it’s unsafe or because it’s efficacy is in doubt.
Always need to read into those qualifiers.

Like the justices that swore under oath that Roe was established legal precedent. They just didn’t tell us they were not beholden to legal precedent.
Last edited by Unagi on Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:57 am Also, Zaxxon follows Steve Albini. Wow. Maybe there is a use for Twitter after all. I was tempted to go down the rabbit hole of Steve Albini's twitter past. He's got a history of working with artists I've come to love. To say nothing of Big Black.
2022 $1500 HORSE WSOP bracelet winner. Video
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Again, not to lean into Drazzil, but Pelosi is sending fund raising emails while AOC is:

Past Presidents, from Lincoln to FDR, understood the dangerous stakes of allowing an unchecked Court overreach its authority and threaten our democracy.

Lincoln ignored the court to issue the emancipation proclamation.

FDR, in the plunges of the Great Depression, also sought…to confront the Court’s structure (and core gerontocracy problem of lifetime appointments) via public appeal. While he did not succeed, that check came from the ppl & Congress, NOT scotus.

The ruling is Roe, but the crisis is democracy. Leaders must share specific plans for both The President & Dem leaders can no longer get away with familiar tactics of “committees” and “studies” to avoid tackling our crises head-on anymore:

- Restrain judicial review
- Open clinics on federal lands
- Court expansion
- Expand Fed access/awareness of pill abortions
- etc
Lots of info and specifics. Not just a "we need to keep fighting" or "we need to vote harder".
Holman

Post by Holman »

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:20 pm Again, not to lean into Drazzil, but Pelosi is sending fund raising emails while AOC is:

Past Presidents, from Lincoln to FDR, understood the dangerous stakes of allowing an unchecked Court overreach its authority and threaten our democracy.

Lincoln ignored the court to issue the emancipation proclamation.

FDR, in the plunges of the Great Depression, also sought…to confront the Court’s structure (and core gerontocracy problem of lifetime appointments) via public appeal. While he did not succeed, that check came from the ppl & Congress, NOT scotus.

The ruling is Roe, but the crisis is democracy. Leaders must share specific plans for both The President & Dem leaders can no longer get away with familiar tactics of “committees” and “studies” to avoid tackling our crises head-on anymore:

- Restrain judicial review
- Open clinics on federal lands
- Court expansion
- Expand Fed access/awareness of pill abortions
- etc
Lots of info and specifics. Not just a "we need to keep fighting" or "we need to vote harder".
We need a third party now. Not later, NOW. We also need to start organizing ALL forms of resistance NOW. Occupying federal buildings while armed with the aim of not being disbanded. We need to strike at the economy by not buying things from red states, strike at the political system by getting physically in their faces and not backing down when the pigs show up, strike at the infrastructure by using our bodies to block freeways, train tracks, air travel etc etc etc. We need to protest wall street and sew our balls on and fight whoever comes to crush us.

The longer we pretend that we can win this by the ballot the harder things will be in the future.

The Democrats will be useless, less then useless. They fundraise on stopping the GOP but they govern as enablers. There are lots of ways to stop the unwinding of our country. Democrats will do none of these, because deep in their heart of hearts they have more in common with the GOP then us.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.