Abortion news and discussion

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Abortion news and discussion

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you're wondering where this is all going - they're telling us.

Kelly Tshibaka, Trump’s endorsed candidate against AK Sen Lisa Murkowski, says she wants to make it a federal crime to send birth control and abortion pills through the mail.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

In that case, maybe that's what should be done nation-wide...

Organize a series of mail relays. One anon message of action, and X number of places across the nation will send pills, some legit RU486 and follow-up drug, the other dummy sugar pills, to the specified address.

Imagine hundreds, perhaps thousands of places that can mail off these daily. Nobody knows if what they are mailing is the real thing or not. There is no pattern. The catch is, of course, is this "legal"?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:39 pm In that case, maybe that's what should be done nation-wide...

Organize a series of mail relays. One anon message of action, and X number of places across the nation will send pills, some legit RU486 and follow-up drug, the other dummy sugar pills, to the specified address.

Imagine hundreds, perhaps thousands of places that can mail off these daily. Nobody knows if what they are mailing is the real thing or not. There is no pattern. The catch is, of course, is this "legal"?
Almost something like an Underground Railroad.

The catch is that Fascists will soon require pregnant women to register with state-monitored doctors who monitor their status and report any changes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

(CNN)Oklahoma lawmakers on Thursday gave final approval to a bill modeled after the controversial Texas abortion law, which allows private citizens to take civil action against abortion providers to enforce the law.

It's one of a number of bills passed this month by Oklahoma's legislature to restrict abortion rights and comes amid a movement by Republican-led states to severely curtail the procedure.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

OOOOk-lahoma, where the dumb comes sweepin' down the plain
He won. Period.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Welp
Politico has obtained what it calls a draft of a majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito that would strike down Roe v. Wade.

The draft was circulated in early February, according to Politico. The final opinion has not been released and votes can change before opinions are formally released. A Supreme Court spokesperson declined to comment to CNN.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, I would say the time is now or never for public outrage on this development.

I honestly never thought I would see the day when they would strike down Roe v. Wade.

Post by Default »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:18 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:39 pm In that case, maybe that's what should be done nation-wide...

Almost something like an Underground Railroad.

The catch is that Fascists will soon require pregnant women to register with state-monitored doctors who monitor their status and report any changes.
As a point of fact, first class or Priority mail cannot be opened by any institution without a court order. So, unless you have a reason to be kriminally supena'd, the ovary police would have to manufacture a reason to mass search packages, and would have to do it on their dime.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

How would the person that wants to take the pill know if it was the real thing or not?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hate that I'm thinking this way, but the vengeful part of me wishes someone would start a web site tracking any abortions by republican politicians and their families supporting anti abortion laws...then list them.
He won. Period.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Defiant wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:12 pm How would the person that wants to take the pill know if it was the real thing or not?
An app can probably, with some sort of RSA public/private key thing, to decode a follow up message explaining which is the real thing.

I posed the construct to metafilter, and was told it may be easier to teach women the menstrual extraction/evacuation method instead.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:37 pm
I posed the construct to metafilter, and was told it may be easier to teach women the menstrual extraction/evacuation method instead.
This is the part of the discussion where normally I and all the other boys would be lead into a different room and shown a short film on the history of football or something....
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:31 pm I hate that I'm thinking this way, but the vengeful part of me wishes someone would start a web site tracking any abortions by republican politicians and their families supporting anti abortion laws...then list them.
People are speculating that Anonymous plans to do just that.

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:57 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:31 pm I hate that I'm thinking this way, but the vengeful part of me wishes someone would start a web site tracking any abortions by republican politicians and their families supporting anti abortion laws...then list them.
People are speculating that Anonymous plans to do just that.

I don't doubt that there's stuff out there, but seems like we're already at the point where all sins are forgiven as long as you are loyal and committed to pwning the libs.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Something something money, mouth.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Sad sad day, assuming, of course, this is the ruling we get in June or July.

My wife had a baby at 18 and I was 44 with our last one. Very very few people knowingly choose those moments in life to bless themselves with a child. We certainly did not. But we kept our babies even though other options were available to us. In between we had 2 other pregnancies: one which landed my wife in the ICU for a week s/p the birth of our son. The seconded we terminated out of fear for my wife's life (her blood pressure was consistently 200/115 in the first 8 weeks, she gained at least 50 lbs and she failed 2 separate glucose tests. In other words severe preeclampsia with gestational diabetes. My wife her Dr and I all believed this pregnancy would kill her.
What do women in these situations do now? Die so the child can live? Excepting of course the scientific knowledge that 'the health of mom is the #1 predictor for health of the baby'. Do we just give it a whirl and hope for no Whammies? Is it a 'win' if mom dies but the baby lives? What about if the baby lives but has numerous, lifelong, debilitating health issues? With no mother to care for them?

My long winded point was this idea concocted by the lunatic right that ppl use abortion like 'the pill' or a condom is bs. I don't doubt it happens but not at the scale they need to feel outraged. There are a million stories like ours' where loving parents are presented with 2 awful choices. Now they want to tell us there's no choice at all.
I wonder what desparate people do when facing impossible choices? No doubt they're cool calm and collected and primed to make good decisions.

Which season of the Handmaiden's Tale is this? Haven't seen the show but it's good to have a touchstone...just to know what's coming next.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah. My wife and I took 9 years to manage to carry a baby to term. We had at least three miscarriages that we know of and had to make the decision to abort our twins at 3 months because her water broke very prematurely. The plan is obviously to tell women in our positions to just go ahead and die. It makes me want to just scream.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife almost died from an ectopic pregnancy. She lost 2 liters of blood. Thank God the doctor was able to save her tubes and she went on to have our two wonderful kids, but that was a terrifying time. I'm really tired of policy that affects millions of lives being decided by handfuls of ignorant people.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GungHo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:49 amMy long winded point was this idea concocted by the lunatic right that ppl use abortion like 'the pill' or a condom is bs. I don't doubt it happens but not at the scale they need to feel outraged. There are a million stories like ours' where loving parents are presented with 2 awful choices. Now they want to tell us there's no choice at all.
I wonder what desparate people do when facing impossible choices? No doubt they're cool calm and collected and primed to make good decisions.
They take fringe cases and make them out to be the norm. It's the same with everything. Abortions, votes, guns, welfare, you name it.

And in their scorched earth quest, they're making procedures like D&C illegal (or unavailable) for everyone. My wife's miscarriage was one of the worst times of her life. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if she was forced to carry a corpse for who knows now long. And then deliver it. But these evil fucks want that to happen.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Just note that quote is nearly 2 years old.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Latest study shows that leading cause of death of pregnant women in America is... homicide. (using 2018-2019 data)
...pregnant women and women who have recently given birth in the United States are twice as likely to die by homicide than pregnancy-related causes...
That's BEFORE COVID, mostly before Qanon and radicalization of the GOP in general.

So all the blah-blah about "safety" is bull****. It's always about control. In trying to supposedly "save" one life, the forced birthers are killing 2-3.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why do so many in the country want us to go backwards all the damn time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:26 am Why do so many in the country want us to go backwards all the damn time.
Because so many in the country are straight white Christian males. Guess which demographic has lost the most influence by going forward?

A rewind lets them regain what they lost (or, more accurately, what they had appropriated and had to give back.)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stessier wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:32 am Just note that quote is nearly 2 years old.
Nearly 3, isn't it?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Alefroth wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:08 pm
stessier wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:32 am Just note that quote is nearly 2 years old.
Nearly 3, isn't it?
The tweet was from 2020. I guess I don't know when he actually said it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

It was actually from a townhall from late 2019. So like 10 million years ago.

stessier

Post by stessier »

Ah, thanks for that!
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

stessier wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:31 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:08 pm
Nearly 3, isn't it?
The tweet was from 2020. I guess I don't know when he actually said it.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to throw things off by posting an old quote. I should have clarified that the way he spoke about the issue resonated with me, both in terms of saying it should be women who get to draw the line, and highlighting that most of the third-term abortions aren't because people just randomly decided that they should terminate their pregnancy after eight months.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Defiant wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:46 pm It was actually from a townhall from late 2019. So like 10 million years ago.

The town hall was in May 2019, so actually 20M years ago.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Louisiana just voted this bill out of committee yesterday, 7-2. It defines “life” as being from the moment of fertilization, and makes abortion a crime of homicide.

It would effectively outlaw in vitro fertilization. If a bill like this passes, families like mine in Louisiana will not be allowed to have our own children because "Jesus".

I just...fucking can't. :evil:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:04 am Louisiana just voted this bill out of committee yesterday, 7-2. It defines “life” as being from the moment of fertilization, and makes abortion a crime of homicide.

It would effectively outlaw in vitro fertilization. If a bill like this passes, families like mine in Louisiana will not be allowed to have our own children because "Jesus".

I'm not so sure it would. I could see an argument made - but I could also see several ways to argue that in vitro would be fine.

Edit: Now it could be argued that many forms of birth control would be illegal under that law.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:25 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:04 am Louisiana just voted this bill out of committee yesterday, 7-2. It defines “life” as being from the moment of fertilization, and makes abortion a crime of homicide.

I'm not so sure it would. I could see an argument made - but I could also see several ways to argue that in vitro would be fine.

Edit: Now it could be argued that many forms of birth control would be illegal under that law.
Since the IVF process involves fertilizing embryos and this bill defines "life" as "the moment of fertilization", they would have to carve out an exemption specifically for IVF (if it was kept as written). I suppose they might do that, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I would guess it more likely that they approach it with one of the responses we typically got as we were going through the process, which were either "There's plenty of kids you could adopt" or "Your fertility issues are god's way of telling you that you shouldn't have kids".
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:35 am
I would guess it more likely that they approach it with one of the responses we typically got as we were going through the process, which were either "There's plenty of kids you could adopt" or "Your fertility issues are god's way of telling you that you shouldn't have kids".
Presumably they want to outlaw oncology as well. Cancer is god's way of calling you home.

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This reminds me of all the Trump sycophants elbowing each other out of the way to be more Trump than Trump. That’s all this is. It’s not driven by faith. It’s not driven by philosophy. It’s not driven by deeply held beliefs. It’s an entirely unthinking competition to see who can be the most ardent pro-lifer.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:25 am Edit: Now it could be argued that many forms of birth control would be illegal under that law.
But I have been repeatedly assured they're not coming for birth control. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Does this mean that the police will be required to investigate every miscarriage as a potential negligent homicide?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:29 pm Does this mean that the police will be required to investigate every miscarriage as a potential negligent homicide?

They need another one showing a woman dying in the hospital due to an ectopic pregnancy. And a third showing a pregnant 12 year old standing hand-in-hand with their rapist.

Maybe then, these people might begin to understand the consequences of these bills.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's a bit over the top. They'll probably just have blood test checkpoints where they check hormone levels.

Remember, we have men making these laws and men know what's best for women.

MYT