Abortion news and discussion

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: Abortion news and discussion

Post by Zarathud »

She can’t be forced to wear a mask, but this prosecution…is madness.

Especially when the Republicans argue guns don’t kill people. If so, the pills didn’t cause the abortion either.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So if she had not posted on Facebork she would not have been prosecuted?

Also what is the legal penalty for her "crime?"
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:01 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:41 pm I think I mentioned it up thread but our most recent monthly doctor hires had way more OB/GYN than usual. Mostly from out of state. Recruiting is not sleeping on this.
In the short term it's good, but in the long term, where are OB/GYNs going to be trained? You're going to have entire cohorts of doctors that have never received any type of formal training in anything related to medical abortions just based on where they go to school and have a residency.
Well, then they'll be well trained for a career in red states.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:37 pm When Pence tried his anti-gay marriage amendment shenanigans, it was businesses threatening to pull out, including Eli Lilly (and GenCon!), sports teams refusing to play in Indiana, and other bottom-line actions by companies that resulted in it dying.
GenCon is doing it again:
Gen Con, the nation’s largest tabletop gaming convention, celebrated its 55th year last Wednesday. Attendance at “the best four days in gaming” topped 50,000, effectively returning the event to pre-pandemic levels. The convention has taken place in Indianapolis, Indiana, for the last 19 years, but the Seattle-based company recently signaled that it might be looking to move. The stated reason? Indiana’s near-total ban on abortions, which was passed into law on Aug. 5.

“We at Gen Con believe in the right to autonomy over our bodies and the right to choose,” the company said in a statement on Aug. 3 — two days before the abortion ban was passed. “Reproductive rights are human rights. Like many of you, we are hurt, angry and frustrated by recent events, including the recent advancement of SB1 by the Indiana General Assembly. These actions have a direct impact on our team and our community, and we are committed to fighting for safety, tolerance, and justice in all places we operate.”

Gen Con was not alone in its condemnation of the state’s conservative legislature. At least one publisher canceled its booth at the show, while several others made statements of protest.
Potential impact?
How big a loss would Gen Con’s departure represent? Visit Indy, the for-profit tourism company that bills itself as “the official host of Indianapolis,” tracks data on conventions in Indiana. It measures the relative size and value of those conventions based on their “economic impact” for the state, which it defines as income for restaurants, hotels, and other local businesses. Internal data produced by Visit Indy and disclosed to Polygon shows that Gen Con ranked as the single largest annual event in the city of Indianapolis based on economic impact in 2019, exceeding an estimated $74.6 million. Visit Indy’s data also shows that Gen Con has ranked in the top three slots for economic impact for each of the last 19 years — or since the convention moved there from its previous home in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Visit Indy estimates that the city earned $779 million in economic impact from 660 events in 2019. Based on those figures, if Gen Con were to depart Indianapolis, the economic impact of conventions to the state would be reduced by 10%.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, GenCon is huge for Indy. Good on them.
The Meal

The best kind of correct

Post by The Meal »

Internal data produced by Visit Indy and disclosed to Polygon shows that Gen Con ranked as the single largest annual event in the city of Indianapolis based on economic impact in 2019, exceeding an estimated $74.6 million.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

[edit:]Definitely good for Gencon! (I last attended in Milwaukee.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Front Office Sports
The speedway is the largest sports venue in the world, hosting up to 400,000 fans. In a normal year, its events generate more than $510 million annually for the Indiana economy.

But even at 40% capacity for the 105th running [2021 -Isg] — won by Brazilian driver Hélio Castroneves for his record-tying fourth title — the 500-mile race always has a major economic impact on the city.
  • Speedway High School pulls in nearly $20,000 from parking fees on race day.
  • Airbnb hosts earned close to $750,000 in combined supplemental income from the 2019 race.
  • Hotels in the area are more or less completely booked surrounding the race.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Re: Changing Somebody Else's Title

Post by Jaymann »

The Meal wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:09 pm
Internal data produced by Visit Indy and disclosed to Polygon shows that Gen Con ranked as the single largest annual event in the city of Indianapolis based on economic impact in 2019, exceeding an estimated $74.6 million.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

[edit:]Definitely good for Gencon! (I last attended in Milwaukee.)
Didn't know you could do that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is not in, as the article defines, the city of Indianapolis. It's in Speedway. "Gen Con ranked as the single largest annual event in the city of Indianapolis."

A few years ago when GenCon complained that they might have to move because they didn't have enough space. Indy redesigned their convention center in order to keep them there. Indy doesn't want GenCon going away.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And The Strip in Nevada technically isn't in Las Vegas (as I know you know, Blackhawk :wink: )

From a city-type pissing contest, these things matter. For anyone else, no one gives a shit. And Indy certainly doesn't shy away from getting the side economic benefits from the naming and overflow.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:13 pm There are days when I think some people intentionally choose professions because they want to deny people service:
A pharmacist in McGregor, Minnesota, refused to fill a woman's morning-after pill prescription because it violated his "beliefs," a lawsuit alleges.
Becker's Hospital Review
Access to reproductive health products has gotten murkier after a Minnesota jury ruled in favor of a pharmacist who refused to sell contraceptives in 2019 because of his beliefs, according to MPR News.

The jury said the pharmacist, George Badeaux, did not discriminate when he didn't fill a customer's prescription for Ella, an emergency contraceptive that works to delay or prevent ovulation.

The Minnesota Board of Pharmacy allows pharmacists to decline to fill prescriptions for emergency contraceptives if it goes against their beliefs as long as they refer the order to another pharmacist or pharmacy, according to MPR News. Mr. Badeaux told the plaintiff, Andrea Anderson, over the phone another employee who could fill the prescription might not make it to work because of a snowstorm.
Gender Justice, the legal group representing Ms. Anderson, said Aug. 5 it plans to appeal the decision. Ms. Anderson was awarded $25,000 for emotional damages, but Mr. Badeaux will not have to pay unless the no-discrimination decision is changed on appeal.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I got bored fairly quickly of CAH, but it might be time to revisit it.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And family edition purchased.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And they’re going to recount the Kansas votes by hand now because some loser moron shrew thinks there’s a conspiracy afoot.

They should release a statement announcing she’s right and invite her and her cohorts to a state funded party….then once they’re all in the building, reveal it’s actually a giant cage on the back of a huge truck. Then drive them to a remote, walled in station in Antarctica and tell them they can do whatever they want from now on.

Edit: seems they’re not going to do it unless the idiot can pay for it. Unfortunately, I suspect she’ll get financial aid from other people who should have been forced out of the gene pool years ago.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AP News
A Michigan judge on Friday blocked county prosecutors from enforcing the state’s 1931 ban on abortion for the foreseeable future, after two days of witness testimony from abortion experts, providers and the state’s chief medical officer.

The ruling follows a state Court of Appeals ruling this month that county prosecutors were not covered by a May order and could enforce the prohibition following the U.S. Supreme Court ruling overturning Roe v. Wade.

“The harm to the body of women and people capable of pregnancy in not issuing the injunction could not be more real, clear, present and dangerous to the court,” Oakland County Judge Jacob Cunningham said during his ruling Friday.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oakland County
:shock: I could expect that from a rural county but I believe Oakland is the wealthiest county in the state and the second most dense in population.

If I could afford pick and leave... Related to a previous posting on how much I hate the Chamber of Commerce, I suspect 2022 may be the last fair election we have in state. When gerrymandering no longer works, control the polls and certify whoever you think should have won based on you desire. All in the name of having fair elections in state. I may have to find a way to pick and move anyway. That would force me to go back to work, which I just don't have the oomph for. :(
Although a majority of prosecutors in counties where there are abortion clinics have said they will not enforce the ban, Republican prosecutors in Kent, Jackson and Macomb counties have said they should be able to enforce the 1931 law. Macomb, which is just north of Detroit, and Kent, in western Michigan, are the state’s third- and fourth-most populated counties, respectively.
I'm really beginning to envy all my friends who thought Michigan was a great place to be from.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:05 pm
Oakland County
:shock: I could expect that from a rural county but I believe Oakland is the wealthiest county in the state and the second most dense in population.

If I could afford pick and leave... Related to a previous posting on how much I hate the Chamber of Commerce, I suspect 2022 may be the last fair election we have in state. When gerrymandering no longer works, control the polls and certify whoever you think should have won based on you desire. All in the name of having fair elections in state. I may have to find a way to pick and move anyway. That would force me to go back to work, which I just don't have the oomph for. :(
Although a majority of prosecutors in counties where there are abortion clinics have said they will not enforce the ban, Republican prosecutors in Kent, Jackson and Macomb counties have said they should be able to enforce the 1931 law. Macomb, which is just north of Detroit, and Kent, in western Michigan, are the state’s third- and fourth-most populated counties, respectively.
I'm really beginning to envy all my friends who thought Michigan was a great place to be from.
Did you misread? The judge issued an injunction... Abortions will still be allowed.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:11 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:05 pm
Oakland County

Did you misread? The judge issued an injunction... Abortions will still be allowed.
I read. The GOP in Michigan is doing what the GOP in Michigan does. Using the law to wear down the law until they find a crack. They did everything they could to destroy the vote and after they failed four times they tried again. After they failed they tried to throw out votes and fake electors. I don't have a lot of faith we won't get a MAGA governor and QANON AG after this election. Add that to our existing gerrymandered legislature and this bodes poorly. Oakland county prosecutors are behaving like backwater law enforcement.

You see the judicial prevailing. I see everything around the judicial collapsing with the next round of judges to be replaced with MAGAts and "Federalist" sophists.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:05 pm I'm really beginning to envy all my friends who thought Michigan was a great place to be from.
Heh, a line I have delivered many times. MI is, sadly, on the short list of four states that can no longer be considered functional democracies because its legislature is permanently red and that's not how the majority of Michiganders vote. (Wisconsin was at the top of the list. I don't remember the other two states. I am an unreliable reporter.)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well ya know, I’m fucking happy as hell to hear that at least one of these shitheads can’t sleep.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Well, for a week anyway.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just from his tone, he sounds like he now has a close, personal connection to someone this is impacting. I don't doubt the situation he described is real, but I doubt it was a random stranger's plight that had him realize what his decision contributed to. To me it sounds like he has someone in his immediate circle that this is now impacting and he's just seeing it for the first time.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can only hope that it makes him regret it so much that he actually starts thinking about other people.
Something that he must have been incapable of a couple of weeks ago. For Fuck Sake.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Who will be responsible for the baby's death? It seems cruel and negligent to just wait for a baby to die.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:32 pm Well ya know, I’m fucking happy as hell to hear that at least one of these shitheads can’t sleep.
As a follow up, he voted for the S.C. abortion ban last night, so I guess he got over it. Not sure if it'll make national news, but I doubt it - we accept hypocrisy, apparently.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So doubling down on a policy massively rejected nationally, just before the November elections. Mana from heaven.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I dunno. I have repeatedly been assured these things just weren't possible and that I shouldn't be so concerned about them.

Also, invoking the loaded language "Late Term Abortion" in the name of federal legislation that would potentially ban it after 15 weeks and then havnig the media run with it is manipulative.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:43 am I dunno. I have repeatedly been assured these things just weren't possible and that I shouldn't be so concerned about them.

Also, invoking the loaded language "Late Term Abortion" in the name of federal legislation that would potentially ban it after 15 weeks and then havnig the media run with it is manipulative.
It's totally manipulative. They consistently count on the media mindlessly megaphoning their messages and the media happily obliges.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:32 am
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:43 am I dunno. I have repeatedly been assured these things just weren't possible and that I shouldn't be so concerned about them.

It's totally manipulative. They consistently count on the media mindlessly megaphoning their messages and the media happily obliges.
Indeed.

More of this, please.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Details and context matter, so I don’t often endorse this position. But in this case, I get it 100%.

GOP Federal Abortion Ban is all we should be reading about here. It’s all that matters in this case.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Dems oppose new Child Life Law!!"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:53 pm Details and context matter, so I don’t often endorse this position. But in this case, I get it 100%.

GOP Federal Abortion Ban is all we should be reading about here. It’s all that matters in this case.
Yeah, I almost didn't post that tweet but in this specific context I wholeheartedly endorse it.

Also, gross.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The thing here is that historically speaking, is there anything else that motivates card-carrying GOP voters like abortion issues? They've already moved the needle with the Supreme Court this year so this is clearly another attempt to energize the base to get out and vote for the midterms to try and stem the pain they're potentially anticipating. I mean, I hope it's part of the GOP's death spiral, but I'm not foolish enough to believe it has no chance of happening. It's already effectively banned in ~12 states at this point so trying to float this is a shot across the bow of the blue states that passed protective legislation.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hopefully this is an indication that they got nuthin'.

Gas prices down.
Economy recovering.
Unemployment down.
Even Ukraine is winning.
Florida Man busted.

They got nuthin'.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:02 pm The thing here is that historically speaking, is there anything else that motivates card-carrying GOP voters like abortion issues? They've already moved the needle with the Supreme Court this year so this is clearly another attempt to energize the base to get out and vote for the midterms to try and stem the pain they're potentially anticipating. I mean, I hope it's part of the GOP's death spiral, but I'm not foolish enough to believe it has no chance of happening. It's already effectively banned in ~12 states at this point so trying to float this is a shot across the bow of the blue states that passed protective legislation.
There are other motivating issues IMO but it seems clear that they want to refocus an issue that is thought to have been 'won'. They can still argue that so much baby murder happening in the blue states. It also helps to cement in the scary christofascist wing of the party.

I think what is also happening is that there are some GOP leaders like Graham who are all too willing to throw in with Trumpism/autocracy as long as it maintains their personal power. However, they would rather not be forced to seize power in a way that gives up the game they've been playing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They're really just leaning into this, eh?

NEW: The rape exemption in Graham's bill requires patients to prove they’ve either sought counseling/medical care or reported the assault to law enforcement/a government agency. The life exemption excludes patients with a life-threatening mental illness.
Article:
During a Tuesday press conference, Graham said the bill is an effort to identify what Republicans stand for and called it a “counterproposal” to Democrats’ efforts to restore protections for abortion nationwide.

“After they introduced a bill to define who they are, I thought it’d be nice to introduce one to define who we are,” he said.
Believe it.

Even better:
Still, Graham insists the bill will help his party in the midterms.

“I don’t think this is going to hurt us,” he said Tuesday. “It will more likely hurt [Democrats] when they try to explain their position to a reasonable person.”
To perhaps make this more relatable to everyone here:

Mitch McConnell: "Nobody is talking about a national abortion ban."

Lindsey Graham: "LEEEEEROYYYYYY JEENNNNKINNNSSSS!!!!"
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I didn't know about where our laws stood compared to the rest of the world and was surprised to hear part of Graham's speech saying our laws were less restrictive than Europe.

Here's why that isn't quite what it seems.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles