Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I agree. That is rather a big difference, and I find that in general Rockstar doesn't tend to communicate about features very well. I guess they prefer people to dive in and discover for themselves. The whole spawning of animals when trying to hunt a Legendary animal runs counter to the realism in the single-player game. And I felt the hunting in single-player to be really well done.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

More RD:O gaming night montage!!

Thanks to some glitches and a little help from a modder, things get a bit weird.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Looks like RDO is about to receive one of its biggest updates yet, Blood Money, which looks to be akin to GTA: O's Heist update, which was the big update that really changed things with GTA: Online and really opened things up. There's a chance it could finally do the same with RDO. The update also comes with some enhancements for those with RTX cards.

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-online-bloo ... 1847243403
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The mind-boggling work that went into Red Dead 2's incredibly lifelike horses
GDC 2021 is currently underway, and as part of it Rockstar North's Tobias Kleanthous delivered a talk called 'Making the Believable Horses of 'Red Dead Redemption II'. Given that Red Dead 2's amazing horses are a frequent topic of discussion during PC Gamer editorial meetings, I had to watch.

Horses are integral to the Red Dead 2 experience, and far more than a mode of transport. Rockstar's stated objective was to create "a trusted friend with whom a deep connection is forged over the course of [Arthur's] story." Kleanthous began by talking about how the goal was to live up to the memories players had of the horses in Red Dead Redemption, rather than using that system again, and creating animals that could play "the 'best supporting' role to Arthur Morgan's lead."

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant get my horses sorted in the online game. I started over and made a new character. This time I skipped the tutorial and it simply gave me a horse. I named it and I see it in the stable. In fact its the only one I do see in there. Also its the one that appears when I do quests with others. But if Im out alone and whistle for my horse I get just the old nag to come to me. I cant seem to find a way to get my better horse when I whistle. Ive only done one of the find the sheriff quests. I feel like its bugged. Ive looked for answers online and tried whats said there but nothing changes.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 pm I cant get my horses sorted in the online game. I started over and made a new character. This time I skipped the tutorial and it simply gave me a horse. I named it and I see it in the stable. In fact its the only one I do see in there. Also its the one that appears when I do quests with others. But if Im out alone and whistle for my horse I get just the old nag to come to me. I cant seem to find a way to get my better horse when I whistle. Ive only done one of the find the sheriff quests. I feel like its bugged. Ive looked for answers online and tried whats said there but nothing changes.
You can set your chosen free roam and mission horse separately, I do believe. It was somewhere - in the quick menu (the one that opens from the side), maybe?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 pm I cant get my horses sorted in the online game. I started over and made a new character. This time I skipped the tutorial and it simply gave me a horse. I named it and I see it in the stable. In fact its the only one I do see in there. Also its the one that appears when I do quests with others. But if Im out alone and whistle for my horse I get just the old nag to come to me. I cant seem to find a way to get my better horse when I whistle. Ive only done one of the find the sheriff quests. I feel like its bugged. Ive looked for answers online and tried whats said there but nothing changes.
You can set your chosen free roam and mission horse separately, I do believe. It was somewhere - in the quick menu (the one that opens from the side), maybe?
Yep, from the stable options menu.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think my install is on the fritz. In the stables the MAKE ACTIVE button in bottom right is greyed out for me. When I whistle for my horse it says I have no horse to summon so sends the old nag. But in the stable and in missions its my good named horse. Shrug. im also having it crash or lock up when I try to exit the game forcing me to shut the system down to unhang it. May try a fresh reinstall sometime. For now its too much of a bother. I give up.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:51 pm I think my install is on the fritz. In the stables the MAKE ACTIVE button in bottom right is greyed out for me. When I whistle for my horse it says I have no horse to summon so sends the old nag. But in the stable and in missions its my good named horse. Shrug. im also having it crash or lock up when I try to exit the game forcing me to shut the system down to unhang it. May try a fresh reinstall sometime. For now its too much of a bother. I give up.
Not in the stables. In the Stables section of your quick menu.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:51 pm For now its too much of a bother. I give up.
If you give up every time you encounter something that doesn't work right (or that you don't understand) in a game, you're going to run out of games. Fast.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Checked the quickmenu...and Ive reinstalled. Only my good horse is shown and its checked. I hit the button multiple times to be sure. Still get no horses available and the scrawny nag appears on a free roam whistle. Still get my good horse on story missions.

EDIT: Well it is a bug. I found it listed many times online. Even found a fix. But it didn't work for me. Says to whistle and get the nag then run it into something or off a cliff and kill it or finish it off with your pistol which I did. Then go into the stable quickmenu and do stuff there. I have no options to heal a horse there so Im stuck as it is. And as it is means I cant explore the world on the worst horse in the game. It has basically no stamina. So Im fucked. No use bothering.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I fixered it! yay me!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm about done with RDO myself. Thing about Rockstar is that they manage their servers poorly and when it comes to playing, don't give the tools needed for players to properly defend themselves from griefing.

This Sunday was the worst I'd ever encountered. With the friends I play with, we each take turns joining each other's posses and helping each other out. I have enough money and ranked up high enough that there isn't much to unlock anymore, and anything the Blood Money missions give me is just more money with nothing to really spend it on. Any griefing never really bothered us, we just kind of shrug it off and move on, sometimes switch sessions if we have to.

But this Sunday it seemed we were facing a concerted griefing effort. They immediately knew where we were. Multiple people, dressed in black with elaborate masks would come to each of our camps, lasso us, drag us out into the open to kill us. We were just minding our business. They'd already sabotaged a long-distance trader delivery and we thought that would be that. We switched sessions as we normally do when that happens, because then you're able to restart it. But they were on us again. At our separate camps, even, they would show up, before even being able to join our posses. They did this multiple times, even though we'd switched sessions. At this point, it wasn't just regular griefing, but being completely disruptive. There was no way we could actually play our game. We retreated to our moonshine shack and eventually gave up for the night. There wasn't anything we could do.

Camps are supposed to be safe spaces when you aren't on missions, but allowing the lasso to be used circumvents that. Anyone can come into your camp, lasso you and drag you off and the player has little to defend against that. Even more so when there are multiple of them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Man, you can really get lost in this game. I made some bad decisions and ended up with a rather high bounty. So I fled into the countryside and spent a week (in-game) hunting game and selling their parts to make money. It was like the 20+ hours I'd spent prior working on the story just melted away and I was out in the wilds, collecting rams and elk to earn a living.

Anyway, what a tremendously awesome game. I'm still only on Chapter 2 so barely started (I think). I heard rumors today that Red Dead Redemption is also being remastered and will somehow be added to / incorporated with RDR2. I sure do hope that makes it to PC...

EDIT: Rockstar has suddenly decided I no longer own any of their games and will not allow me to play them. That's terrific.

EDIT2: Oh, all R* Social Club features are hosed and the authentication servers are down. Nothing like owning a game on STEAM that I can't play because R* also needs to confirm I own it. Fantastic.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Rumors about RDR being remastered have been going on since RDR2 were released due to the full map being part of the Online. As much as I'd like to see that happen, I'd take it with a grain of sand.
Last edited by Rumpy on Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, but considering they just released the remastered GTA Trilogy, it doesn't seem so ridiculous anymore.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The interesting thing about that is they have most of the character models done already since they were already in the game. All they'd really need is for some tweaks since they're supposed to be older. But one of the major reasons for why it hasn't happened before has been due to the way it was coded. It came at at a time when they were in-between RAGE engines and it's said the code is quite a mess, and it's miraculous it was as good as it was.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I need to go back and replay it again. I completed the main story and put it down. But I’d love to go back and pursue my dream of owning the fattest horse in the world.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm absolutely amazed at all the *stuff* you can do, completely unrelated to the main story. Hunting, fishing, treasure and dinosaur bone hunts. Very, very easy to get side tracked, particularly with the great wide open spaces. Definitely the most enjoyable world I've been in that doesn't contain Geralt.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still playing and after 60+ hours, I'm still finding new stuff - places, events, story elements. This game is ridiculous.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Just don't play online ;)

It's ridiculous just how much the online part of the game is ignored in favor of GTA Online. I know GTA is their moneymaker, but RDO could use some love too to make it a more attractive game for players. In comparison, it feels like RDO gets the table scraps while GTAO gets big releases. Heck, RDO's story isn't even completed. For more than 3 years, there's been no resolution to the LeClerk storyline. This is despite RDR being their newer game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:09 pm Just don't play online ;)

It's ridiculous just how much the online part of the game is ignored in favor of GTA Online. I know GTA is their moneymaker, but RDO could use some love too to make it a more attractive game for players. In comparison, it feels like RDO gets the table scraps while GTAO gets big releases. Heck, RDO's story isn't even completed. For more than 3 years, there's been no resolution to the LeClerk storyline. This is despite RDR being their newer game.
I burned out fast on RDO. There's just so little there, and once you've done each mission type a few times it all feels kind of pointless. And stocking your merchant by hunting is freaking tedious. It's the worst kind of busy work.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:35 pm

I burned out fast on RDO. There's just so little there, and once you've done each mission type a few times it all feels kind of pointless. And stocking your merchant by hunting is freaking tedious. It's the worst kind of busy work.
Stocking the merchant isn't too bad if you have friends to help you out with the missions or even on the runs themselves. After a certain amount of time though, I just ended up skipping those stocking missions and have it just delivered. Overall though, it got to a point that I had loads of money, but nothing worth spending. Seriously, the best Rockstar can do is make variations available, but they still want people to fork out for gold when there isn't all that much to do. When GTAO get big updates like Cayo Purico or the latest story update, RDO gets zilch.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:44 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:35 pm

Stocking the merchant isn't too bad if you have friends to help you out with the missions or even on the runs themselves.
We did. We'd go to one person's camp and spend 20 minutes hauling deer corpses, then go to the second person's camp and spend 20 minutes hauling sheep corpses, then go to the third and the fourth and the fifth. An hour and a half of carrying carcasses and dropping them on the table. Then came the deliveries. An hour and a half of taking turns sitting in a wagon and either shooting a few bandits on the way, or a few at the destination. That's... not fun. There's no thinking there, no real challenge, or decision making, just repetition alternating with downtime.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

We'd be doing the long-distance runs, which gave a better return on investments. But yeah, it's a shame that Rockstar's basically given up on the game. They had a chance to make a great online game but dropped the ball big time. Being the Old West, there are so many things they could do, seeing as they're one of the few Western themed games on the market. I haven't played since a few months now, but I've heard the Winter update this year wasn't much of anything aside from a month long event and a few cosmetic items. Sad to see the game in its current state.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, we always did long distance, too.

(Gonna quote some data here - I only have Steam data, which doesn't include Rockstar's launcher or console, but probably shows trends.)

The sales of their premium currency are a big deal for Rockstar. It's a huge money maker for them. As of 2016 (the only year I could find data, thanks to a lawsuit), they'd made double the game's budget just in microtransactions, which are essentially pure profit. And the number of players today is considerably higher than it was then. They probably fund everything they do out of the GTA Online Shark Cards (their online currency.) Now, according to Steam Charts 1 and 2, RDO last month had about 2% of the average active players that GTA did.

Part of that is that the reviews savaged RDO on launch (they did the same with GTAO) and it never recovered, but it never really drew in the players the way GTA did.

I absolutely love the theme. But then again, I was born in '73, and I am close to 50, yet I was the last generation who was raised with the 'hero cowboy.' I grew up with the Lone Ranger on Saturday mornings, and reruns of Bonanza, The Guns of Will Sonnet, Have Gun - Will Travel, and Branded on all the time. Western movies were coming out left and right. It led to a period of intense interest for me in my mid-teens, including heavy involvement in historical recreation (the fur trade era, and I was just learning the ropes of the romanticized 'gunslinging' period when I left for other interests.)

So while my focus moved on, I still find the setting really, really attractive (even if I like to nitpick the historical details.) Hell, Deadlands is also one of my favorite tabletop RPG settings! I'm old enough to 'get' cowboys as heroes (or anti-heroes.) But anybody born after that probably doesn't really see the appeal in the old west. Hell, you'd have to be in your 30s to have been old enough to have watched Deadwood when it came out. Someone in their teens or twenties probably doesn't see the appeal.

So RDO is failing in part because Rockstar didn't support it, but now Rockstar isn't supporting it because it's failing. They can make 50 times the money for the same time/developer/cost investment in GTA Online.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've spent exactly zero hours in RDO and have no interest in it, thankfully. But the single player game? I'm repeatedly amazed at how much stuff there is to do and how little I've done other than questing. Haven't touched hunting animal trophies or fishing. Haven't completed but a fraction of the various challenges and I've only found a few of the cigarette cards. There's just so much do to and see - it's on a whole different level.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RDO was fun until you'd done everything a couple of times. It was fun riding around with friends. But once you'd done everything a couple of times, it was just repetition. GTA Online had the same base game (supply your business, deliver products), but there was way more variation in the missions, with helicopter battles one time, shootouts the next, driving a truck down the freeway with a huge wedge after that, then taking monster trucks for mountaintop deliveries. But even then, those were just the 'background' game, which you could break up with a huge variety of missions (from air missions to driving missions to stealth missions) and heists (huge, multi-stage mega-missions.) There was variety.

RDO had sitting in a wagon and shooting a few guys, carrying carcasses, and missions (they put in a single 'heist' after we quit playing.) Then they broke the missions in half - half were 'good guy' missions, half were 'bad guy' missions, and you had to commit. If not everybody in your party wanted to play bloodthirsty outlaws for an extended time, you were stuck with half of the meager offering of missions. There was stuff to do, but it ran out quickly, and there wasn't enough to feel like enough time had passed to revisit the content.

The real tragedy is that there is so much potential baked into the setting. Train robberies, bank robberies, riverboat capers, robbing an armored money coach, pulling off a scam at a gold mine, rustling, blowing up competing mining operations, endless options. And all they had was a dozen variants 'Ride to the camp and shoot all the guys', or 'intercept all the guys and shoot them' (except sometimes for one guy that you rope.)

And then there were the cheaters. Both of my compilations feature cheaters at one point. They were prolific.

Fun, but not lasting fun.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cheaters was one of my biggest gripes. Had a guy take a bounty on me right in the same town. Him and his sidekick rode up slowly on their horses as I emptied my Schofield, my repeater, then multiple blast of my shotgun into them. No damage at all. Then they roped me and dragged me around and kept punching me down and dragging me. I finally had to just log. I was so mad I deleted the character then and there and it was my best character too. No point in bothering if cheaters can ruin it anyways.

Ive tried going back a few times but never get anywhere. I think that experience is always in the back of my mind and Im always nervous around a town or other players. Just no fun.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:27 pm I finally had to just log. I was so mad I deleted the character then and there and it was my best character too.
...we generally just switched servers.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:06 am

So RDO is failing in part because Rockstar didn't support it, but now Rockstar isn't supporting it because it's failing. They can make 50 times the money for the same time/developer/cost investment in GTA Online.
Agreed. The sad thing is that if they could even make a tiny effort to show it's worth playing, I think it could make them tons of money. Maybe not as much as GTA, as it's to be expected, but it was also never going to from the moment Rockstar made it, simply based on the fact that they're two very different games, and I think anyone could have foreseen that. At this point, it's not even so much that it isn't supported, but that Rockstar doesn't care enough to support it. So, it ends up feeling like a game that Rockstar has allowed to fail in spite of it. I bought RDR on release and I don't know if I'll be able to buy another of their games, on principle alone.

And yeah, cheaters are a huge problem. I know peer-to-peer is the cheap way to go since they don't need servers, but it brings up all sorts of security issues, and it's always going to be a problem until Rockstar wisens up and changes fundamentally how their multiplayer games work.
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:07 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:27 pm I finally had to just log. I was so mad I deleted the character then and there and it was my best character too.
...we generally just switched servers.
The problem is that if the cheaters are dedicated enough, they can follow you around. That's what happened to me and my friends that last time. We'd switch sessions, and within minutes, they'd be right back to taunting us by appearing right at our camp and trying to lasso us before being able to do anything.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just started Chapter 6 and thought I was close to the end. Nope. This game is ridiculously detailed with content. Ridiculous!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Have you tried creating a really fat horse yet? That's a mini game in itself.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wait...you can do that? I'd only been aware of monitoring the temperature by using the horse's testicles. I've been using the same horse the entire game but if I can get a spare and turn it into the fattest horse alive...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's very satisfying to be riding the fattest horse around. Although having to stop every half mile while it lies down and tries to catch its breath gets old after one trip across the map.

"What'ya feeding that horse, cake?"
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have the biggest horse in the game (I think), picking it was totally an accident. I've lost track of the number of people and horses I've killed while running at a full gallop around a blind turn. The idea of making it bigger? It would be a mess!

I'm 80+ hours in and I just discovered a brand new quest chain that I hadn't uncovered before in a part of the map I never visited. This game is absurd!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

~90 hours and I hit the ending. Absolutely epic - I don't know any other way to describe it. I'm left with exactly the same feeling I had after finishing Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox360 years ago. So good, but man...what an ending. Hit hard even though I knew it was coming.

And I can't believe there's more!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There are very few games I finish, but Rockstar games I almost always finish. They are just on a level higher than anyone else. I liked 2 a lot more than I liked one. If you just got the the first ending there's A LOT more game to go. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I'm in the epilogue now and it's...still processing.

RE: The "first" ending as you call it:
Spoiler:
I knew his ending would be related to violence but I didn't see his TB diagnosis happening at all. They did a good job of making that happen subtly and then reintroducing it as a plot point. I played Arthur as the bad guy trying to do better - very much how I played the original. Seeing him finally realize all the bad he'd done and try to come to terms with it was very well done. The final letter he received from Mary Linton was a real gut punch.

During that final set of scenes when my horse broke its legs and gets all screwed up when we were bushwhacked...when Arthur leans down after the gun fight and thanks him as its dying, I almost lost it. I had that same horse the *entire* game - never switched. That was one of the toughest things I've had to watch in a video game.
Just knowing how this all feeds into the original, I am quite curious to see where it ends in this game. Makes me want to dig out my Xbox360 and try to play that one again.