The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Skinypupy »

Thought this was rather apt.

It's like America's a bus and an 71 year old narcissist speed addict is maniacally driving and we're all staring at each other because 30% of the passengers like how his driving upsets the rest of us.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Remember when conspiracy theorists on the right were upset because they were convinced Obama was going to somehow do away with term limits so that he could retain power?
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:07 am Remember when conspiracy theorists on the right were upset because they were convinced Obama was going to somehow do away with term limits so that he could retain power?
If Obama had said anything even remotely as foolish as Trump did while kissing Xi's ass the conservative spinzone would have lost their minds. My guess is they will write this off as just another example of Trump not meaning what he says.
FTE
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He'll be what, almost 80 when it would make a difference. Given his eating habits it probably won't be an issue.

I know he was certified as the Fittest Man Alive by his doctor but honestly, he looks terrible.

Now if he implements the Trump Line of Succession, then we really have a problem.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Who let the Russian bots in?

Given how Trump acts as President, can you imagine how he'll act as former President? We'll be lucky that he never bothered to read the intelligence reports or he'll be tweeting them.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:25 am
Now if he implements the Trump Line of Succession, then we really have a problem.
I think the only one that is his is jr.

The rest are the offspring of various pool boys around his resorts.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:42 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:25 am
I think the only one that is his is jr.

The rest are the offspring of various pool boys around his resorts.
That doesn't really matter, given that his designated successor would be Ivanka (and if your theory is correct, it actually brings Trump's parental creep factor down to about the Woody Allen level).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Trump ally describes West Wing as "pure madness"

Mostly anonymous sources (for obvious reasons), and reported in the fake news WaPo...but it's alarming stuff if you give it credence.
Retired four-star Army general Barry McCaffrey said the American people — and Congress especially — should be alarmed.

‘‘I think the president is starting to wobble in his emotional stability and this is not going to end well,’’ McCaffrey said.

‘‘Trump’s judgment is fundamentally flawed, and the more pressure put on him and the more isolated he becomes, I think, his ability to do harm is going to increase,’’ he said.

This portrait of Trump at a moment of crisis just over a year after taking office is based on interviews with 22 White House officials, friends, and advisers to the president and other administration allies, most of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to candidly discuss Trump’s state of mind.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

L.O.L.

This is news?
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:39 pm L.O.L.

This is news?
I know you're not really arguing, but it really *is* news.

It's one thing when liberal pundits and Democrats and frustrated voters say "Trump is incapable and he's falling apart and we don't know how it ends."

It's another when White House insiders who hoped to ride out Trump and build GOP careers start telling us the same thing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The "news" in this case is that insiders are willing to admit it.

The "news" is not that Drumpf is coming apart at the hinges. That has been clear for quite awhile now.

But that's not how the article portrayed it. It was written like what the insider had to say was new information.

:pop:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The crucial missing info is whether any of these insiders are in a position to initiate the 25th (i.e., cabinet) and whether that is even hypothetically in play. Presumably not, or WaPo would have been all over it.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

25th after the mid-terms.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Rip

Post by Rip »

Nope.

We made our beds now we have to lie in them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 pm Nope.

Well, you and your friends made the beds for all of us. You just didn’t want to admit you put broken glass under the sheets until you realized you had to sleep in them too.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 pm Nope.

He's not going to make it through his first term.

I wasn't sure a year ago. There are more options now.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 pm We made our beds now we have to lie in them.
Actually, you and yours shit the bed and apparently don't mind sleeping in it.

Your comment is revealing though... Clearly you celebrate that the bed (at the very least) wasn't made well, and one must lie in it because it's all we got.... "Ha! Ha!"

I find you pretty damn empty inside. with a good pinch of treason thrown in.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:49 pm Maybe the Trump 2020 thread should be renamed the Trump Dictator for Life thread?
In the closed-door remarks, a recording of which was obtained by CNN, Trump also praised China's President Xi Jinping for recently consolidating power and extending his potential tenure, musing he wouldn't mind making such a maneuver himself.
"He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great," Trump said. "And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day."
It no longer shocks me but it does sadden me that he can speculate about making the United States into an autocracy without Congress immediately responding by impeaching him. He is clearly working to undermine everything about our nation and they sit and do nothing. There will be blood due to this man. A lot of it and probably in the streets as protesters get shot. We resemble the end of the Venezuelan democracy way too much every day.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So, free trade is what gets Paul Ryan to 'stand up' to Trump, eh?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Remus West wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:13 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:49 pm Maybe the Trump 2020 thread should be renamed the Trump Dictator for Life thread?
In the closed-door remarks, a recording of which was obtained by CNN, Trump also praised China's President Xi Jinping for recently consolidating power and extending his potential tenure, musing he wouldn't mind making such a maneuver himself.
"He's now president for life. President for life. And he's great," Trump said. "And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll give that a shot some day."
It no longer shocks me but it does sadden me that he can speculate about making the United States into an autocracy without Congress immediately responding by impeaching him. He is clearly working to undermine everything about our nation and they sit and do nothing. There will be blood due to this man. A lot of it and probably in the streets as protesters get shot. We resemble the end of the Venezuelan democracy way too much every day.
Eh, Americans are increasingly fine with that. From If America's democracy fails, can others survive?
In the United States, for example, over two-thirds of older Americans believed that it was absolutely essential to live in a democracy; among millennials, less than one-third did. Twenty years ago, one in 16 Americans thought that “army rule” was a good system of government. A few years ago one in six did.

over time there has also been a big loss of support for democracy among all age groups. So, for example, people in Germany, in France, in Britain, and also in the United States are much more likely now than 20 years ago to say that they support “a strongman leader who does not have to bother with politicians or elections.”

Despite all of America’s specific problems, it is the oldest democracy in the world. With the exception of Canada, it has the deepest experience with trying to make a multiethnic democracy work. If the forces that are pulling us apart are strong enough to make democracy fail in this country, I fear that similar reasons will also prove strong enough to make democracy fail in most other countries in the world.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Remus West wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:13 pm. He is clearly working to undermine everything about our nation
I'm not so sure about that. I am more and more thinking he is truly incapable of coherent thought, and just says whatever comes into his tiny monkey brain, then people react. It's why many foreign leaders are now starting to deal with his demagoguery from a "who's REALLY in power and what are their motives" viewpoint, rather than Trump's supposed views and tweets. His childlike buffoonery (and ironically, his out sized ego) have increasingly isolated him from serious discussions both domestically and internationally I think.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm
Remus West wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:13 pm. He is clearly working to undermine everything about our nation
I'm not so sure about that. I am more and more thinking he is truly incapable of coherent thought, and just says whatever comes into his tiny monkey brain, then people react. It's why many foreign leaders are now starting to deal with his demagoguery from a "who's REALLY in power and what are their motives" viewpoint, rather than Trump's supposed views and tweets. His childlike buffoonery (and ironically, his out sized ego) have increasingly isolated him from serious discussions both domestically and internationally I think.
I didn't say he was effective at it just that he was working at it. Although I do think folks give him too little credit for being capable and in the right place to take advantage of the conditions politically here. He continues to widen divides between us (and/or allow Russia to assist those divides in widening) with only the threat of the investigation AND a Dem congress to stay his hand. If congress does not flip blue during the midterm I think we will see a new unimaginable load of shit Trumped upon us immediately thereafter. If the road gets paved smooth for him do you think he would hesitate for a second to dismantle Democracy in favor of making himself absolute ruler here? He'd get to be second fiddle to his own overlord in Russia with his very own nation to bring to the bargaining table. He may just be able to get the masters of that tape back for that.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Rip

Post by Rip »

Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 am
Rip wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 pm We made our beds now we have to lie in them.

Your comment is revealing though... Clearly you celebrate that the bed (at the very least) wasn't made well, and one must lie in it because it's all we got.... "Ha! Ha!"

No, I celebrate that there are so many people that will spend the next seven years obsessing over Trump.

It makes my Hillary hate look so mild in comparison.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rip wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:24 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 am

No, I celebrate that there are so many people that will spend the next seven years obsessing over Trump.

It makes my Hillary hate look so mild in comparison.
That might have something to do with the fact that he is POTUS and is actively implementing policy that affects every single one of of us.

And Hillary is, you know, not.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Yea, that is kinda what POTUS does.

SHame no one had the same concerns I had about ever increasing POTUS powers a few years ago.

I get the feeling the mood on that has changed.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And I'm sure that if Hillary had won (and had an equivalent level of scandal, corruption, and general buffoonery), you would have just taken it all in stride.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:Yea, that is kinda what POTUS does.

SHame no one had the same concerns I had about ever increasing POTUS powers a few years ago.

The greater shame might be your false equivalency, but hey glad you you are now realizing that what is happening with the Trump presidency is bad news. Baby steps and all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

Enough wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:45 pm
Rip wrote:Yea, that is kinda what POTUS does.

The greater shame might be your false equivalency, but hey glad you you are now realizing that what is happening with the Trump presidency is bad news. Baby steps and all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
No, I am realizing nothing. I have always thought that too much POTUS power is a bad thing. Nothing that has happened in my lifetime dissuades that truth.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Rip wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:34 pm SHame no one had the same concerns I had about ever increasing POTUS powers a few years ago.
:!: :!: :!:
Rip wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:57 pm No, I am realizing nothing.
:clap:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I keep hearing a voice in my head screaming, “POTUS power, activate!”.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rip wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:24 pm It makes my Hillary hate look so mild in comparison.
No it doesn't.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rip wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:24 pmI celebrate that there are so many people that will spend the next seven years obsessing over Trump.
Translation: I enjoy seeing and making people angry.

I was the same way when I was 9 and hated the world because I thought my life sucked. I figured that if people weren't going to like me, I'd just enjoy pissing them off. Then I grew up.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Trump job approval rating by state:
Enlarge Image

Wow, lower than 40% approval rating for Trump in TEXAS?! Good work, there, Chief Shitbag, that's not easy for someone with an (R) after their name!

This is in some ways a strategic map as well, if I consider moving to a less Trump friendly state. I am seriously at that point, and the wife's been there for years. Especially with our moron Governor wanting to arm teachers. That would definitely be the last straw.

So for me, looks like Virginia is the best, closest Trump haven. Any Virginians here want to suggest some nice places to live? :P
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm So for me, looks like Virginia is the best, closest Trump haven. Any Virginians here want to suggest some nice places to live? :P
I would say avoid Richmond, but I would say the same thing about Columbia, SC so you might like it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm Trump job approval rating by state:
Enlarge Image

Wow, lower than 40% approval rating for Trump in TEXAS?! Good work, there, Chief Shitbag, that's not easy for someone with an (R) after their name!

This is in some ways a strategic map as well, if I consider moving to a less Trump friendly state. I am seriously at that point, and the wife's been there for years. Especially with our moron Governor wanting to arm teachers. That would definitely be the last straw.

So for me, looks like Virginia is the best, closest Trump haven. Any Virginians here want to suggest some nice places to live? :P
I imagine what you're seeing is the net balance in states between the urban/rural populations. Texas probably swings super heavy into the green if you exclude the major metros, but there's so many people in cities, and big cities are almost universally to the left, that it skews state wide results for states that have a major metro.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:43 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm So for me, looks like Virginia is the best, closest Trump haven. Any Virginians here want to suggest some nice places to live? :P
I would say avoid Richmond, but I would say the same thing about Columbia, SC so you might like it.
Why avoid Richmond?
geezer

Post by geezer »

Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 pm
Rip wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:24 pmI celebrate that there are so many people that will spend the next seven years obsessing over Trump.

I was the same way when I was 9 and hated the world because I thought my life sucked. I figured that if people weren't going to like me, I'd just enjoy pissing them off. Then I grew up.
This seems to be a common theme on the right. Liberals hate all sorts of perceived injustices, both real and imagined. Conservatives hate liberals. It's weird. I can't really think of a critical mass of lefties celebrating a victory specifically because it angers the right, but it sure does seem like "getting" the lefties is a major concern on the other side.
Last edited by geezer on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Chaz wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:03 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm Trump job approval rating by state:
Enlarge Image

I imagine what you're seeing is the net balance in states between the urban/rural populations. Texas probably swings super heavy into the green if you exclude the major metros, but there's so many people in cities, and big cities are almost universally to the left, that it skews state wide results for states that have a major metro.
Not all Texas cities are wildly left, and the rural areas can be heavily Hispanic. Our problem in Texas isn't that it's blood red, it's that no one here votes, especially on the left.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

geezer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 pm I figured that if people weren't going to like me, I'd just enjoy pissing them off. Then I grew up.
This seems to be a common theme on the right. Liberals hate all sorts of perceived injustices, both real and imagined. Conservatives hate liberals. It's weird. I can't really think of and critical mass of lefties celebrating a victory specifically because it angers the right, but it sure does seem like "getting" the lefties is a major concern on the other side.
Hence the term, snowflakes.

I believe it's the natural outcome of a I've-got-mine,-Jack philosophy.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Holman

Post by Holman »

geezer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm
Paingod wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 pm

This seems to be a common theme on the right. Liberals hate all sorts of perceived injustices, both real and imagined. Conservatives hate liberals. It's weird. I can't really think of and critical mass of lefties celebrating a victory specifically because it angers the right, but it sure does seem like "getting" the lefties is a major concern on the other side.
Conservatives feel that liberals have owned the culture for two or three generations now (depending on whether you count back to the 1960s or the Scopes Monkey Trial), so "owning" them counts as striking a blow in the Culture War.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.