The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Remus West

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Remus West »

Good lord this whole thing has gone and made LM eloquent! :shock:
Now we know the end is near. :P
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 am Yes, one party is currently objectively worse than the other. But there are ugly people entrenched on both sides who want nothing more than to see the opposition party, and it supporters, burn, so they can remain safely ensconced in their liberal/conservative bubble and not have to hear from the other side at all.
I'm not disagreeing at all - more so that the scale is in completely leagues. That is my biggest beef with the NY Times and many of the 'old guard' media outlets. They keep trying to pretend this is a liberal/Conservatives partisan divide. It is more like a Liberal....Conservatives (90s Conservatives).........................................................................................(current Republican) divide.

Whataboutism is killing us. Are there Liberals entrenching now? Sure. I also argue it is probably mostly a result of how far to the right they have pulled. The message on the left hasn't changed much--which is a different problem all its own--but the right is in crazy land. Remember when we thought Palin was bad. That was only 10 years ago. Look where we are now. The trajectory is crazy.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Remus West wrote:Good lord this whole thing has gone and made LM eloquent! :shock:
Now we know the end is near. :P
This.

Amen, LM.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:36 am Of course there's a deep state, if you mean career civil servants who don't face elections. There's nothing nefarious about people keeping their heads down and doing their jobs. That's not a bug, it's a feature.

That was my reaction. Only calling it a "Deep State" makes it nefarious.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 am
Rip wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 am The basic premise that governance of the US is being held hostage somehow is laughable.

The sky isn't falling Henny Penny.

That suggesting it is because you don't agree with the decisions being made is hyperbole and fear mongering, nothing more.
Laughable like desperate laughable? Or maniacal laughable? That you can't see a very small minority is controlling the US against the wishes of the people and the states in the name of preventing the tyranny of the majority while redefining the law because they control government. Well, it's not laughable. It's lamentable. A minority of voters seized power by the nature of the institution of preventing the majority from trampling them. They took that power and expanded it through gerrymandering. They intended to vote their wallets and their (a?)moral agendas. They have since been exploited by a smaller minority with their own wallets and amoral agendas and they don't want to be wrong so they eat their shit sandwich in the name Ayn Rand or Donald Trump or Guns or God and they expect me to be happy about having to partake. Fuck that.

When we break gerrymandering I will accept that we are not being held hostage. This is my government but at this point it's by accident of birth not out of love for what we have. The institution has no respect for the institution, why should I?
No the majority is held hostage by their indifference and laziness. Voting is hard.

:shhh:
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rip wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 am
Rip wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 am The basic premise that governance of the US is being held hostage somehow is laughable.

That suggesting it is because you don't agree with the decisions being made is hyperbole and fear mongering, nothing more.
Laughable like desperate laughable? Or maniacal laughable? That you can't see a very small minority is controlling the US against the wishes of the people and the states in the name of preventing the tyranny of the majority while redefining the law because they control government. Well, it's not laughable. It's lamentable. A minority of voters seized power by the nature of the institution of preventing the majority from trampling them. They took that power and expanded it through gerrymandering. They intended to vote their wallets and their (a?)moral agendas. They have since been exploited by a smaller minority with their own wallets and amoral agendas and they don't want to be wrong so they eat their shit sandwich in the name Ayn Rand or Donald Trump or Guns or God and they expect me to be happy about having to partake. Fuck that.

When we break gerrymandering I will accept that we are not being held hostage. This is my government but at this point it's by accident of birth not out of love for what we have. The institution has no respect for the institution, why should I?
No the majority is held hostage by their indifference and laziness. Voting is hard.

No, breaking a senate that is created from an unequal basis based on numbers represented is hard. Breaking gerrymandering is hard. Having an Electoral college that is compelled by law to not do what it was instituted to do is hard. If it were purely on voting the majority would be handily in power.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Remus West wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 am No, breaking a senate that is created from an unequal basis based on numbers represented is hard.
That's a feature, not a bug.
Breaking gerrymandering is hard.
I agree with this and we are going in the right direction. But remember that both sides have used it.
Having an Electoral college that is compelled by law to not do what it was instituted to do is hard. If it were purely on voting the majority would be handily in power.
Not handily, and it still ignores that 43% of eligible votes sat on the couch. 43%! A small fraction of those would put either party handily in power.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:03 pm
Remus West wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 am No, breaking a senate that is created from an unequal basis based on numbers represented is hard.
That's a feature, not a bug.
Breaking gerrymandering is hard.
I agree with this and we are going in the right direction. But remember that both sides have used it.
Having an Electoral college that is compelled by law to not do what it was instituted to do is hard. If it were purely on voting the majority would be handily in power.
Not handily, and it still ignores that 43% of eligible votes sat on the couch. 43%! A small fraction of those would put either party handily in power.
Yes we need to drastically increase voter participation but that 43% is nationwide unless you got it from a new source. Getting every voter in California to cast a ballot would dramatically lower that 43% without changing a thing. It would be amazing but still change nothing.

Also, the Senate structure was created as a feature. It has become a bug.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 am

And voting ID laws would make purposely make it harder.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

geezer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:35 pm
tjg_marantz wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:19 pm
geezer wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm
GreenGoo wrote:
Holman wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:20 am I'm not sure I understand that. Was it snark or something else?
If tjg wants to talk about something, then he should talk about something. If he doesn't like what people are talking about, he should say so. I'm not a fan of passive aggressive.
Christ man chill out. I did talk about something, the Austin bombings. I don't like that their President hasn't said shit about it. There is no thread about the bombings here.
We're all a little freaked out here. The latest bombing is slightly out of pattern in both location and technique, so now it's moving from concern and morbid curiosity to nervous...
I heard about a trip wire. I'm wondering if the "wrong" target tripped it or the bomber screwed up. It's very strange.

Stay safe man.
Doing our best! Yeah - the latest one is really strange.
Someone sent a bomb through FedEx in San Antonio. Seems dumb, they have all the sender's info and also a second package sent by the same person. Here's hoping it's the same individual and they close this one out soon.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
geezer

Post by geezer »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm
geezer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:35 pm
tjg_marantz wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:19 pm
geezer wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:23 pm
GreenGoo wrote:
Holman wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:20 am I'm not sure I understand that. Was it snark or something else?
If tjg wants to talk about something, then he should talk about something. If he doesn't like what people are talking about, he should say so. I'm not a fan of passive aggressive.
Christ man chill out. I did talk about something, the Austin bombings. I don't like that their President hasn't said shit about it. There is no thread about the bombings here.
We're all a little freaked out here. The latest bombing is slightly out of pattern in both location and technique, so now it's moving from concern and morbid curiosity to nervous...
I heard about a trip wire. I'm wondering if the "wrong" target tripped it or the bomber screwed up. It's very strange.

Stay safe man.
Doing our best! Yeah - the latest one is really strange.
Someone sent a bomb through FedEx in San Antonio. Seems dumb, they have all the sender's info and also a second package sent by the same person. Here's hoping it's the same individual and they close this one out soon.
It does seem dumb, but Fedex doesn't ask for ID when you drop a package as I recall. One interesting thing - the location it was originally sent from in Austin is very close to the location where the trip-wire bomb was that went off yesterday. Does it mean the person lives around there? No idea, but it seems they were consistently operating in that part of town yesterday or the day before.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Remus West wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 pm
Yes we need to drastically increase voter participation but that 43% is nationwide unless you got it from a new source. Getting every voter in California to cast a ballot would dramatically lower that 43% without changing a thing. It would be amazing but still change nothing.
Yeah, a lot of non-voters are simply aware that their vote would do nothing in their locale.

Most of them are probably low-information enough that they know nothing about any race but the top of the ticket, but that's also true of many people who *do* vote.
Also, the Senate structure was created as a feature. It has become a bug.
Yep. It was obsolete almost as soon as states were created beyond the originals.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I do not accept this. I consider the Senate a feature. I think we work best as a federation of states and then only works if we have a Senate. We broke the house, though. I get how we could have this president and this senate but the house, the supposed will of the people above all should keep the other two in check, but we broke it and broken house is allowing the president to run amuck. The house we meant to be a major control. They have damned purse strings.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The purpose of the Senate was to represent the States in Congress. That's why Senators were selected by the State Legislatures. When that was changed to popular vote elections then Senators became redundant to the House.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

It has become a bug as populations have concentrated in cities in certain states. California has 67 times less representation per citizen than Wyoming. The House hardly makes up for that considering the powers the Senate holds. Judicial appointments, confirmation of cabinet members, ambassadors, etc. Especially since the Republicans cooked up dogma like the Hastert rule. It is a perfect example of the Republicans creating conditions to wield sole power whenever they are in a position to.

Edit: Also agree that the 17th amendment undermined the Senate. It made things more "democratic" but at a cost to systemic stability.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 441843002/

Hey pr0ner can I borrow your giant eye roll barfing eye rolls?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

malchior wrote:Edit: Also agree that the 17th amendment undermined the Senate. It made things more "democratic" but at a cost to systemic stability.
You sure? The state legislatures are often filled with crazy people, and a large majority are Republican controlled. The last number I saw was 32. That’s 64 Republican Senators.

That doesn’t equal “systemic stability” to me.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

There's a big difference between needs in Wyoming and needs in California. If you make the Senate conform to population, you may as well remove any influence from small population states. The Senate and House are balanced between place and population for a good reason. I still believe in that reason.

Expand the house. Leave the Senate alone (unless it's new states ripped from the big states or smashed together from the little ones).

Though if we are talking crazy anyway...I'd support adding a third senator, but only in states with 1 mil+ people. Balance that with requiring one Representative per x number of people (preferably x would be small, say 300,000) and put a cap of say 30 CongressCritter per state to encourage breakups. I suspect small population states would never agree to combine otherwise and I doubt large ones would split without an incentive.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Less than 24 hours after the WH indicated that there were no plans to call Putin to congratulate him on his "election" victory, Trump called Putin to congratulate him.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fitzy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm There's a big difference between needs in Wyoming and needs in California. If you make the Senate conform to population, you may as well remove any influence from small population states. The Senate and House are balanced between place and population for a good reason. I still believe in that reason.

Expand the house. Leave the Senate alone (unless it's new states ripped from the big states or smashed together from the little ones).

Though if we are talking crazy anyway...I'd support adding a third senator, but only in states with 1 mil+ people. Balance that with requiring one Representative per x number of people (preferably x would be small, say 300,000) and put a cap of say 30 CongressCritter per state to encourage breakups. I suspect small population states would never agree to combine otherwise and I doubt large ones would split without an incentive.
Why do small population states deserve disproportionate representation? The difference between needs in Wyoming and those in California supports greater devolution of powers to the states, but I don't see how it supports greater representation in Congress for low population states.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

msteelers wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:17 pm
malchior wrote:Edit: Also agree that the 17th amendment undermined the Senate. It made things more "democratic" but at a cost to systemic stability.
You sure? The state legislatures are often filled with crazy people, and a large majority are Republican controlled. The last number I saw was 32. That’s 64 Republican Senators.

That doesn’t equ “systemic stability” to me.
This is probably not the right question. That'd be the outcome if we repealed the 17th right now. Would the country be in this state if Senators were not beholden to money politics directly? Would we see the decline in quality in the political class due to extremists pushing reasonable people out in the right? All unknowable but a portion of that is traceable back to the 17th.

IMO the problem in a nutshell is that the system and the fixes we put in didn't scale with the increase in population and how people naturally distributed themselves. We set most of these rules down before the country industrialized and haven't modernized them since. And this system is breaking. Fast.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm IMO the problem in a nutshell is that the system and the fixes we put in didn't scale with the increase in population and how people naturally distributed themselves. We set most of these rules down before the country industrialized and haven't modernized them since. And this system is breaking. Fast.
And of course people didn't even "naturally distribute themselves" into newer states at all. The new early-nineteenth-century states were created in pairs in order to keep the slave/free balance in the senate; they were hardly the states of the original constitution, which had over many generations developed as competing polities with disparate and sometimes competing economies and interests.

In the later nineteenth century, many states were created as fiefdoms of the mineral and/or railroad industries. The big empty states of today were even emptier then, but they had their sweet two senators all the same.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 pm Less than 24 hours after the WH indicated that there were no plans to call Putin to congratulate him on his "election" victory, Trump called Putin to congratulate him.
This makes complete sense. There are never any plans. The answer was truthful because there probably were no plans to call, then Trump decided to give his buddy a jingle, and here we are.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Rip

Post by Rip »

As the New York Times reported earlier in the week, there are serious charges that Putin rigged the election: "A day after claiming an overwhelming victory in Russia’s presidential election, Vladimir V. Putin on Monday faced a range of challenges to his legitimacy, including charges of fraud from international observers and a defiant opposition that vowed to keep him from serving his full six-year term."

Even the State Department called for an investigation into the election earlier in the week.

Yet with President Obama reportedly calling to congratulate Putin, apparently the White House isn't too concerned with the fraudulent election--or even its worrisome outcome.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/obama-cal ... cle/633368

:ninja:
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:
As the New York Times reported earlier in the week, there are serious charges that Putin rigged the election: "A day after claiming an overwhelming victory in Russia’s presidential election, Vladimir V. Putin on Monday faced a range of challenges to his legitimacy, including charges of fraud from international observers and a defiant opposition that vowed to keep him from serving his full six-year term."

Even the State Department called for an investigation into the election earlier in the week.

Yet with President Obama reportedly calling to congratulate Putin, apparently the White House isn't too concerned with the fraudulent election--or even its worrisome outcome.

Yeah and more flexibility after the election, am I right? You're hilariously insufferable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

A) Don't copy/paste entire articles and post them in the forum, Rip.

B) Trump's national security advisers told him NOT to congratulate Putin in the call today. Trump ignored them.

Hodor.
milo

Post by milo »

"There are serious charges that Putin rigged the election: "A day after claiming an overwhelming victory in Russia’s presidential election, Vladimir V. Putin on Monday faced a range of challenges to his legitimacy, including charges of fraud from international observers and a defiant opposition that vowed to keep him from serving his full six-year term."
Well, all of those statements are also true about Trump, and I'm pretty sure Obama congratulated him as well.
So there you go. Thanks, Obama.
--milo
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm
Fitzy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm There's a big difference between needs in Wyoming and needs in California. If you make the Senate conform to population, you may as well remove any influence from small population states. The Senate and House are balanced between place and population for a good reason. I still believe in that reason.

Why do small population states deserve disproportionate representation? The difference between needs in Wyoming and those in California supports greater devolution of powers to the states, but I don't see how it supports greater representation in Congress for low population states.
Mostly because the founders felt that small population/rural states needs needed to be addressed in order to pass the Constitution. It would not have passed without it - think of it as a (more perfect) Union prerequisite.

There is value in maintaining that as a check on large population states. Whether that value "Trumps" McConnellism and the tyranny of the minority in the age of misinformation and FUD is the question.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:55 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm IMO the problem in a nutshell is that the system and the fixes we put in didn't scale with the increase in population and how people naturally distributed themselves. We set most of these rules down before the country industrialized and haven't modernized them since. And this system is breaking. Fast.
And of course people didn't even "naturally distribute themselves" into newer states at all. The new early-nineteenth-century states were created in pairs in order to keep the slave/free balance in the senate; they were hardly the states of the original constitution, which had over many generations developed as competing polities with disparate and sometimes competing economies and interests.

In the later nineteenth century, many states were created as fiefdoms of the mineral and/or railroad industries. The big empty states of today were even emptier then, but they had their sweet two senators all the same.
I was more referring to how people are more or less deciding to live in cities. Mostly coastal cities. But still generally in cities. The Republicans have used that concentration to target their gerrymanders. That this concentration of population substantially dilutes their political representation is a real problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 pm There is value in maintaining that as a check on large population states. Whether that value "Trumps" McConnellism and the tyranny of the minority in the age of misinformation and FUD is the question.
This system delivered Bush and Trump in the last 20 years by minority votes. The outcome was huge amounts of political and economic damage to our nation and the world. That probably indicates reform is a little overdue. :doh:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 pm There is value in maintaining that as a check on large population states. Whether that value "Trumps" McConnellism and the tyranny of the minority in the age of misinformation and FUD is the question.
This system delivered Bush and Trump in the last 20 years by minority votes. The outcome was huge amounts of political and economic damage to our nation and the world. That probably indicates reform is a little overdue. :doh:
Electoral College, perhaps, but I'm looking more at the Senate in particular, and having one Congressional House which allows better representation of smaller population areas still has significant value, IMHO.

The bigger problem is actually that the House of Representatives for each of the Presidencies you've mentioned, has been populated with more extreme minority views which have enabled the worst of those Presidencies (I'd argue in large part due to gerrymandering, but there are a lot of other factors). Bush and Trump would not be able to do anywhere near the damage they did (are doing) without the House Majorities they received upon swearing in.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 pm
Electoral College, perhaps, but I'm looking more at the Senate in particular, and having one Congressional House which allows better representation of smaller population areas still has significant value, IMHO.
Sure - if you have a party that doesn't weaponize every rule and/or advantage. It functioned pretty fine until one side pretty much decided to go off the rails. Is that a structural issue? Maybe not but it sure as heck doesn't help that this system gives so much power to a minority that has decided to abuse it over and over again.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:A) Don't copy/paste entire articles and post them in the forum, Rip.

B) Trump's national security advisers told him NOT to congratulate Putin in the call today. Trump ignored them.

No one puts Donnie in a corner!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

From the WaPo article linked above:
Trump also chose not to heed talking points from aides instructing him to condemn Putin about the recent poisoning of a former Russian spy in the United Kingdom with a powerful nerve agent, a case that both the British and U.S. governments have blamed on Moscow.
And he also didn't bring up Russian meddling in the 2016 elections.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 pm From the WaPo article linked above:
Trump also chose not to heed talking points from aides instructing him to condemn Putin about the recent poisoning of a former Russian spy in the United Kingdom with a powerful nerve agent, a case that both the British and U.S. governments have blamed on Moscow.
And he also didn't bring up Russian meddling in the 2016 elections.
Of course he didn't.
The result is that we have an American president who is terrified of his counterpart in Moscow.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 pm

The bigger problem is actually that the House of Representatives for each of the Presidencies you've mentioned, has been populated with more extreme minority views which have enabled the worst of those Presidencies (I'd argue in large part due to gerrymandering, but there are a lot of other factors). Bush and Trump would not be able to do anywhere near the damage they did (are doing) without the House Majorities they received upon swearing in.
So you've said a couple times that giving smaller states disproportionate representation "has value", but you haven't actually said what that value is.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:00 pm The bigger problem is actually that the House of Representatives for each of the Presidencies you've mentioned, has been populated with more extreme minority views which have enabled the worst of those Presidencies (I'd argue in large part due to gerrymandering, but there are a lot of other factors). Bush and Trump would not be able to do anywhere near the damage they did (are doing) without the House Majorities they received upon swearing in.
This. So much this!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:21 am So you've said a couple times that giving smaller states disproportionate representation "has value", but you haven't actually said what that value is.
The value is that in order to have a strong federation of states the states need to be represented as such. There are Michigan way to do things and Massachusetts ways to do things but even together they don't matter much if California expects everyone to do things the California way. Checks and balances. The problem is checks and balances are broken. We run all phases of government like the senate, when the senate should literally hold 1/6th of the equation.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

geezer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:21 pm

It does seem dumb, but Fedex doesn't ask for ID when you drop a package as I recall. One interesting thing - the location it was originally sent from in Austin is very close to the location where the trip-wire bomb was that went off yesterday. Does it mean the person lives around there? No idea, but it seems they were consistently operating in that part of town yesterday or the day before.
Sounds like the found him and he blew himself up in his car as SWAT was closing in. If it was him and if he was working alone, a good resolution. Especially with no major SWAT injuries.

Still may be packages out there though, stay safe.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 pm

I would have preferred that Obama not make that call, but I assume this was during the "reset", so good diplomatic manners kind of requires it.

Plus, Putin did help Obama get elected, so it's only polite to congratulate Putin on his own farce of a democratic election.