The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 am I'm so glad this thread has an end in sight.
Just wait for the "Trump 2024" thread.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:40 am
Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 am I'm so glad this thread has an end in sight.
:puke-front:

I'm sincerely hoping that he does run and keep throwing the existing GOP into convulsions until the party has to either die or become something different. As it stands it's become a beacon for hate and irrationality.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

If anyone creates such a thread before 2023, he should be banned.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:14 am
seriously
+1
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:01 am

I'm sincerely hoping that he does run and keep throwing the existing GOP into convulsions until the party has to either die or become something different. As it stands it's become a beacon for hate and irrationality.
If it helps, I think people are underrating the chance that he'll be in jail or exile before 2024.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:48 am
Paingod wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:01 am

If it helps, I think people are underrating the chance that he'll be in jail or exile before 2024.
I don't think either of those exclude you from running. They might prevent you from actually taking office, but neither would prevent you from mounting a campaign.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That seems harsh, considering the Trump 2024 campaign will be launching on 20 Jan 2021, if not sooner. :coffee:
Jaymon wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:55 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:48 am If it helps, I think people are underrating the chance that he'll be in jail or exile before 2024.
I don't think either of those exclude you from running. They might prevent you from actually taking office, but neither would prevent you from mounting a campaign.
Even if 45* somehow isn't running/campaigning/grifting, there could still be competing Trump 2024 campaigns if Ivanka and Don Jr decide to duke it out to become the annointed successor.
Last edited by Max Peck on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:00 am
That seems harsh, considering the Trump 2024 campaign will be launching on 20 Jan 2021, if not sooner. :coffee:
Doesn't mean it has to be talked about ad nauseum.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

74, fat, high-strung, mentally ill, possibly showing signs of dementia, and out of money.

I think people are overestimating how kind the next four years are going to be to him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

When do we start the "Long Term Impacts of The Trump Presidency Thread"?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

It will be interesting to see an entire slate of GOP hopefuls having to put their ambitions on hold while an increasingly bitter and conspiracy-addled Trump keeps a lock on the party.

But I don't think he has four years left in him. He'll cheeseburger himself to death when the indictments arrive. In 2024 we'll be treated to Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio claiming that they are even More Trump than front-runner Don Jr.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

How much Trump will the Trumplings trump, when the Trumplings out-trump Trump?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:03 am 74, fat, high-strung, mentally ill, possibly showing signs of dementia, and out of money.

I think people are overestimating how kind the next four years are going to be to him.
out of money? I'll believe it when I see it. Until then he'll be conning his way to more loans from questionable people, donations from the gullible, and profits from sycophants going to his properties. Not that I mind. More money going to him means less money going to the GOP.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

What if it's just a thread about Trump 2024 Total Landscaping?
Brian

Post by Brian »

Made me chuckle.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:00 amEven if 45* somehow isn't running/campaigning/grifting, there could still be competing Trump 2024 campaigns if Ivanka and Don Jr decide to duke it out to become the annointed successor.
Don Jr. approached my brother in law's employer about the possibility of them "branding" him for a 2024 run. It would have been done by the department BIL runs. My brother in law told me that if they had taken pursued it he would have quit. As far as I know right now they did not as he did not.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remus West wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Max Peck wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:00 amEven if 45* somehow isn't running/campaigning/grifting, there could still be competing Trump 2024 campaigns if Ivanka and Don Jr decide to duke it out to become the annointed successor.
Don Jr. approached my brother in law's employer about the possibility of them "branding" him for a 2024 run.
Does your BIL work for a marketing company or, fingers crossed, a cattle ranch?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Don Jr. approached my brother in law's employer about the possibility of them "branding" him for a 2024 run. It would have been done by the department BIL runs. My brother in law told me that if they had taken pursued it he would have quit. As far as I know right now they did not as he did not.
If this is the BIL of yours that I know, I could not have seen that ending any other way! :lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The Meal wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:38 pm
If this is the BIL of yours that I know, I could not have seen that ending any other way! :lol:
It is the one you know. Sadly the other probably would have been excited about the opportunity.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case anyone needed a reminder of how much of a POS Trump is:

Brandon Bernard is scheduled to be executed tonight. The crime was 20 years ago. He was a teenager. He didn't pull the trigger.

The Trump administration is on track to execute 13 people before he leaves office. It would be more federal executions than the past 67 years combined

Not pushing for vaccinations. Not pushing governors to enact policies that will slow spread. Not pushing Mitch McConnell to release aid to Americans in need. Instead, he's focused on executing federal criminals. Absolutely disgusting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:47 pm In case anyone needed a reminder of how much of a POS Trump is:

Brandon Bernard is scheduled to be executed tonight. The crime was 20 years ago. He was a teenager. He didn't pull the trigger.

The Trump administration is on track to execute 13 people before he leaves office. It would be more federal executions than the past 67 years combined

Not pushing for vaccinations. Not pushing governors to enact policies that will slow spread. Not pushing Mitch McConnell to release aid to Americans in need. Instead, he's focused on executing federal criminals. Absolutely disgusting.
I don't know about Brandon Bernard and won't begin to judge from ignorance but it is strange to me that we would be pushing executions from one side of our mouth and pardoning war criminals on the other.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:47 pm In case anyone needed a reminder of how much of a POS Trump is:

Line starts to your left...
“I raise my voice in fervent opposition to the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast's scandalous offer of an award to Attorney General Barr for his ‘exemplary Christlike’ behavior,” tweeted Sister Helen Prejean. “I urge the group to immediately rescind their invitation, and I urge anyone reading this to join me.”

It is “unconscionable and scandalous that this recognition be given to William Barr who only two months ago reinstated the Federal death penalty after a 17-year discontinuance,” says the Rev. Michael Bryant, a Catholic priest and former prison chaplain. He notes that five men have already been executed and two more will be killed, one on the day before the breakfast and another on the day after.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Bernard, 40, was convicted of murder when aged 18 and would be the youngest offender executed by the federal government in nearly 70 years.
Bernard was given the death penalty for his involvement in the murder of Todd and Stacie Bagley in June 1999.

He was one of five teenagers accused of robbing the pair and forcing them into the back of their car in Texas.

They were shot in the car by 19-year-old accomplice Christopher Vialva before Bernard set the car alight.

Defence lawyers say both of the Bagleys probably died before the car was set on fire.

An independent investigator hired by the defence said Stacie was "medically dead" before the fire.

However, government testimony during the trial claimed that although Todd Bagley died instantly, Stacie had soot in her airway, signalling that she had died from smoke inhalation and not the gunshot wound.

Bernard's lawyers claim he feared what would happen to him if he refused to follow the orders of Vialva, who was executed in September.

Others involved in the incident were given prison sentences as they were under 18 and classed as juveniles.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

As pathetic as it is, Kim Kardashian begging may lead to Agolf doing the right thing for the wrong reason.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't support his execution but those 5 items aren't compelling reasons IMO. Nor are photos, as Kim should know well.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'd say we don't need compelling reasons not to execute people.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:17 pm I'd say we don't need compelling reasons not to execute people.
Agreed but we need them to stop scheduled executions.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:01 pm I don't support his execution but those 5 items aren't compelling reasons IMO. Nor are photos, as Kim should know well.
I don’t understand.

Presumably you don’t support his execution ‘for reasons’ that are compelling...

For instance, if you just generally do not support executions, wouldn’t the items that speak to his humanity seem reasonable items to compel others to also not support his execution?
Last edited by Unagi on Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:22 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:17 pm I'd say we don't need compelling reasons not to execute people.
You are looking for the presentation of exculpatory evidence alone here ?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:26 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:01 pm I don't support his execution but those 5 items aren't compelling reasons IMO. Nor are photos, as Kim should know well.
I don’t understand.

Presumably you don’t support his execution ‘for reasons’ that are compelling, and I can’t imagine a few of the items only u sees core your reasons? No?
Not sure what you mean. Autocorrect?
Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:26 pm For instance, if you just generally do not support executions, wouldn’t the items that speak to his humanity seem reasonable items to compel others to also not support his execution?
Not when he's on death row. Emotional arguments are great to turn the tide against capital punishment in general but for individual cases it would seem to me to be more effective to argue the flaws in the conviction or sentence.

He was 18. So? He's a legal adult. Change the age of adulthood.

He wasn't the shooter. So? Was he the killer? Evidence suggests he might have killed one victim.

The prosecutor and 5 jurors now support clemency. So? A change of heart decades later isn't part of the judicial or criminal justice system as far as I know.

He's spend decades without a write-up, helping at risk youth. So? He wasn't sentenced for what he would do in the future. He was sentenced for what he did. If this is a valid reason, then there is no death sentences that can stand until we can predict the future. Again, good case against the death penalty in general, in an abstract way.

There is bipartisan support for his commutation. So? Big WTF here. As if bipartisan support is somehow a test of truth.

Now if all you have to do is convince Trump, and that may be all it takes, then great. It may very well work.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:27 pm
Not exculpatory of the conviction. Just the death sentence.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:39 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:26 pm
I don’t understand.

Presumably you don’t support his execution ‘for reasons’ that are compelling, and I can’t imagine a few of the items only u sees core your reasons? No?
Not sure what you mean. Autocorrect?
Yeah, lol - I saw that and it confused me to the point where I just edited it out....

I think I said : "... I can't imagine a few of the items don't underscore your reasons? No?"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:41 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:27 pm
Not exculpatory of the conviction. Just the death sentence.
Right, and isn't that normally a 'gut check' thing that a governor or president has at this stage of the game, and they may be compelled by some of the 5 items listed?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yeah, something tells me Agolf isn't studying any case histories.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:39 pm There is bipartisan support for his commutation. So? Big WTF here. As if bipartisan support is somehow a test of truth.
I mean, kinda. But more to the point, it implies that who ever could put a stop to this would not be attacked by either party on it... for what that's worth.
It's offered as a compelling reason to, I assume - Trump.
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:39 pm Now if all you have to do is convince Trump, and that may be all it takes, then great. It may very well work.
Well, yeah, I assumed we were talking about compelling the one person you need to... if it's compelling to you or I, it's meaningless, except I suppose in the sense that it may then be compelling to the person you need to compel.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I know Bernard is now dead but to put things in perspective on the likelihood of Trump granting clemency/reprieves:

Federal executions since 1963:

# Executed person Ethnicity Age Sex Date of execution

1 Timothy McVeigh White 33 M June 11, 2001
2 Juan Raul Garza Hispanic 44 M June 19, 2001
3 Louis Jones, Jr. Black 53 M March 18, 2003
4 Daniel Lewis Lee White 47 M July 14, 2020
5 Wesley Ira Purkey White 68 M July 16, 2020
6 Dustin Lee Honken White 52 M July 17, 2020
7 Lezmond Charles Mitchell Native American 38 M August 26, 2020
8 Keith Dwayne Nelson White 45 M August 28, 2020
9 William Emmett LeCroy, Jr. White 50 M September 22, 2020
10 Christopher Andre Vialva Black 40 M September 24, 2020
11 Orlando Cordia Hall Black 49 M November 19, 2020
12 Brandon Bernard Black 40 M December 10, 2020

(under Trump in bold)

So another proud legacy for Trump. 3 in 56 years and then 9 in under 6 months. With more scheduled before he is done.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Totally normal and not at all Thanos.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jesus Christ, when did he start listening to Morrisey and cutting himself?
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:26 am Jesus Christ, when did he start listening to Morrisey and cutting himself?
Maybe it was last night after Time magazine named Biden and Harris as the Person of the Year 2020? That had to sting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:23 am
Totally normal and not at all Thanos.
That was actually my first thought. He loves being able to snap his fingers and make someone fall over dead. It's the ultimate expression of power.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)