Death Stranding - Kojima and Norman Reedus

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Death Stranding - Kojima and Norman Reedus

Post by coopasonic »

I watched the credits roll this afternoon... but the game didn't end. I'm glad I didn't just turn it off, which was a temptation given how freaking long the credits scenes drag on.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Yeah I talked about the end credits in a spoiler tag a while ago. But hands down the LOONGGESST end credit scene ever. It could have been cut in half and it would still be the longest end credit scene ever.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was seriously considering this as my next purchase but apparently my video card (NVIDIA 970) isn't powerful enough. I mean, I know it's older, but I was kinda surprised. Might be time to risk a card upgrade during the pandemic. If not for this, then most likely for Cyberpunk 2077
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

A quick search on the Steam forum reveals some people reporting 30+ FPS with a 970, for what it's worth.
I no longer post here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh yeah? I wasn't expecting it to look like a 4K production, but I figured the game wouldn't even let me load without meeting minimum video card (4GB memory?) requirements. I'll take another look, but still likely wait a week or two for patches and fixes. From what I've read it's a little wonky and requires latest graphic drivers update. I'll let things settle out a bit and keep watching. Thanks.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

In fact this guy looks like he's even hitting 60fps in places. I guess a lot depends on the rest of your hardware. But remember Steam has a decent refund policy so it won't hurt you to try.

I no longer post here.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Even more interesting. I'm running an i-7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz w/ 16 GB of RAM on Win10 64. I know my 970 is the bottleneck, but I didn't think it would be a problem here. Definitely encouraging.

The STEAM refund policy is definitely the reason I'd even consider it now, for sure.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Smoove, that's exactly my hardware and for a video card I have a 970 GTX. I admit I didn't even check the minimum requirements and if you hadn't said that it wasn't supposed to run on a 970 I would not have known as it seems to run perfectly fine
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I was never going to buy this at full price but the current sale is good enough (£33 on Fanatical) given how curious I am about the game.

I've only "played" for an hour so can't make judgement yet. There's plenty to like, that's for sure. The UI is smart, the graphics beautiful and curiously undemanding on my system, the soundtrack fantastic. I like the setting and the sheer weirdness of it all. I'm curious about the characters and what their stories are. I'm definitely going to carry on.

However, and this is a big however: there are far too many cut scenes, and they are far too long. That's a big negative. My first hour of game time included only 10 minutes of actual playing.
I no longer post here.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Paradroid wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:59 am I was never going to buy this at full price but the current sale is good enough (£33 on Fanatical) given how curious I am about the game.

I've only "played" for an hour so can't make judgement yet. There's plenty to like, that's for sure. The UI is smart, the graphics beautiful and curiously undemanding on my system, the soundtrack fantastic. I like the setting and the sheer weirdness of it all. I'm curious about the characters and what their stories are. I'm definitely going to carry on.

However, and this is a big however: there are far too many cut scenes, and they are far too long. That's a big negative. My first hour of game time included only 10 minutes of actual playing.
Yes the music is really great in this game. It is the definition of mood setting.

As far as the cutscenes go, this a Kojima game, so of course there are going to be cutscenes. However, Death Stranding easily has the fewest cutscenes of any Kojima game since Metal Gear Solid 1. There are actually long stretches of gameplay without long cutscenes. Get to chapter 3 when the game opens up and you'll see what I mean.
FTE
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

This game is bloody stupid.
I no longer post here.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I stand by my earlier assertion that this game is bloody stupid. It hasn't stopped me playing though! :)

For everything the game does right, it does something else wrong. It's infuriating. I'm constantly idly wondering what it would have been like if someone else had made it. However I'm really on board with the setting. The whole concept of the death stranding is pretty cool, in fact, thematically I'm almost always a fan of anything that discusses what might lie beyond the veil. Ice Pick Lodge's The Void being an excellent example.

I've just started chapter 3, and a conversation with one of the main characters and subsequent addition to my private room promises to really blow the game wide open. This is particularly welcome, because in the same session I'd just hit on yet another frustration. After reaching Port Knot City I was told on more than one occasion to make absolutely sure I was done in the region before moving on. So with a sigh, I turned back to clear up a couple of "important" missions. Reaching the bottom of the hill I'd just scaled, I saw to my extreme annoyance that the rope I'd used was now back at the top of the cliff somehow. Why?!

Also, thanks for the motorbike but it's not very useful in a largely mountainous area, where even the flat plains are strewn with large rocks. That lasted about five minutes before I gave up and struck out on foot again. :roll:

One of the things the game does very well is the asynchronous multiplayer. It's a superb implementation, and the more I read about it the more brilliant I realise it is. I really, really want to see more of this in games.
I no longer post here.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:47 pm I stand by my earlier assertion that this game is bloody stupid. It hasn't stopped me playing though! :)

For everything the game does right, it does something else wrong. It's infuriating. I'm constantly idly wondering what it would have been like if someone else had made it. However I'm really on board with the setting. The whole concept of the death stranding is pretty cool, in fact, thematically I'm almost always a fan of anything that discusses what might lie beyond the veil. Ice Pick Lodge's The Void being an excellent example.

I've just started chapter 3, and a conversation with one of the main characters and subsequent addition to my private room promises to really blow the game wide open. This is particularly welcome, because in the same session I'd just hit on yet another frustration. After reaching Port Knot City I was told on more than one occasion to make absolutely sure I was done in the region before moving on. So with a sigh, I turned back to clear up a couple of "important" missions. Reaching the bottom of the hill I'd just scaled, I saw to my extreme annoyance that the rope I'd used was now back at the top of the cliff somehow. Why?!

Also, thanks for the motorbike but it's not very useful in a largely mountainous area, where even the flat plains are strewn with large rocks. That lasted about five minutes before I gave up and struck out on foot again. :roll:

One of the things the game does very well is the asynchronous multiplayer. It's a superb implementation, and the more I read about it the more brilliant I realise it is. I really, really want to see more of this in games.
I think the rope can be explained as part of the asynchronous multiplayer aspect. Also, everything rots in this game so.

As for the bike, you aren't too far away from being able to build roads. Once that happens the bike becomes extremely useful.
FTE
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

PC version of Death Stranding got free Cyberpunk 2077 update.

They also removed Denuvo from the game.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Director's Cut is out today.

$10 upgrade with previous version.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

started this last night and i might be interested in it, but it spiked my anxiety too much. going to have to play this in the daytime or go on like 42 brain medications or something, i don't know. also this "Norman Reedus" guy has an annoying face
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wait until you see his other assets....

There are absolutely a lot of very tense moments in the game, especially in the earlier parts when you have fewer tools to deal with uhhh... stuff.

It was well worth getting past those early hours and now I am thinking it might even be worth a replay.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Director's Cut available, $39.99
Upgrade is $9.99
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That is easily the strangest 60 minutes I've spent at the beginning of a game. Easily - and I played through the prologue of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:16 pm That is easily the strangest 60 minutes I've spent at the beginning of a game. Easily - and I played through the prologue of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
The game stays strange. But thankfully unlike other Kojima games this one isn't cutscene heavy. It actually has a good balance.
FTE
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I own the original. If I buy the upgrade, will it be a complete new installation, or just a mega-patch?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's a whole new game. The original is no longer for sale on STEAM. I thought it was going to patch it, but nope - 6x GB new download.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Crap. Alright, thanks.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Coming to Game Pass PC on 8/23.
Always thought it was too strange of a concept to make me want to purchase.
But I look forward to trying it.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I mean Kojima and strange concept kind of go hand in hand, but I thought it was really well done.... and yes, it is absolutely strange. Cool to see it hit GamePass, glad I didn't wait.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

stimpy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:50 pm Coming to Game Pass PC on 8/23.
Is this the Director's Cut version or the original PC version?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:01 am
stimpy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:50 pm Coming to Game Pass PC on 8/23.
Is this the Director's Cut version or the original PC version?
Original PC version.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

well crap. I'm going to uninstall then. i'll grab director's cut during next sale.
Covfefe!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I just started this. Lots of cut-scenes for the prologue but I was completely drawn in. This game has its hooks in me and I am not sure why but it is haunting. About to start the first true mission to start reconnecting
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:35 am well crap. I'm going to uninstall then. i'll grab director's cut during next sale.
Director's Cut is On Sale !! Until Feb 15th.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I was about to necro this thread: I just started this, too. I knew it was supposed to be weird. It has not fallen short of expectations. So strange, but I'm also getting drawn in.

One thing that bothered the hell out of me at first: The controls are incredibly twitchy. No deadzone on either of the sticks leads to crazy amounts of stick drift for me. I only mitigated that issue by cranking up the deadzone to the max setting in the options. Anyone else have that issue with PS controllers that show no drift in other games?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Kurth wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:58 pm I was about to necro this thread: I just started this, too. I knew it was supposed to be weird. It has not fallen short of expectations. So strange, but I'm also getting drawn in.

One thing that bothered the hell out of me at first: The controls are incredibly twitchy. No deadzone on either of the sticks leads to crazy amounts of stick drift for me. I only mitigated that issue by cranking up the deadzone to the max setting in the options. Anyone else have that issue with PS controllers that show no drift in other games?
I'm keyboard and mouse but a spend a lot of time with one or both hands being used to support balance which is a pretty cool mechanic once I understood it
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Question: Are you using the Trike much? I keep trying to use it, especially to help get extra cargo from place to place. But (1) it's tough to get it through rough terrain, (2) I haven't found a way to engage enemies while riding it, and (3) if I hop off to go deal with BTs or MULES, half the time it's wrecked from the rain (sorry, Timefall) by the time I get back to it. Am I just better off hoofing it instead and leaving the trike in the garage?
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

You are early in the game. Save the vehicles until you build some roads. You have to hoof it for now.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ok, what did I just see?
Spoiler:
Was that really a Tallneck outside of Lake Knot City? What is Horizon doing in my Death Stranding? So strange. And also great.