Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Donald Trump's Cabinet picks

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:The idea that Mitch McConnell would suddenly be interested in following the rules or process of governing is hilarious. He's disgusting and I can only hope he wakes up every day and realizes all over again just how much of a pile of human garbage he really is.

^^^^^

:wub: Warren. She's the person I disagree with most that I still believe is our best leader in DC.

McConnell is a worm drunk on the power of mud.
I feel like most people underrate what an awful person McConnell is. I don't think anyone else has done more to impede the functioning of our democracy and (admittedly mostly inadvertently) pave the way for Trump than him.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was at the point last night after reading that article that I decided I'm going to hand write a letter Senator McConnell every week and let him know how much he disgusts me. I figure after a few months maybe he'll start seeing them and possibly at some point it will get under his skin. Maybe some day I'll be on Colbert or Conan talking about why I'm doing it and what I've learned. Maybe I can collect them all in a book and use the proceeds to donate to a cause that opposes him in Kentucky. I have no idea. To be clear, I'm not going to be disrespectful or threatening in anyway. I just want there to be a written record that a random person in the United States is following his political career and is sickened by his definition of public service. I already have the opening point for my initial letter. Did you know that despite having the lowest approval rating in the Senate, McConnell is the longest-serving U.S. Senator in Kentucky history? That's a note worthy accomplishment and one he should talk more about.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote:The several times I have listened to her ranting, I've been turned off even though she should be aligned very well with my beliefs (which she is, so maybe it's delivery). Same with Franken actually. I get the sense of overreach and/or pettiness in their arguments, when the basis of the arguments (IMO) are sound enough to stand alone without focusing on minutiae, or displays of bringing down the hammer. That's very broad, I know, but I can't point to specific instances, just a feeling.

Maybe it's the establishment left (Reid, Pelosi and their ilk) that I am disappointed in, that Michael Moore(!) has been decrying lately, and says needs to be replaced. I blanch at agreeing with much of anything he says, but maybe he's gotten a bit wiser in his older age.
I'm the other way around. She is too brash for preference (at least she's not smarmy) but she has her facts straight and she doesn't stray from them. Franken tries to set people up with "A Has" by controlling the conversation. Warren doesn't care about the conversation. She just has a mass of the facts of history. She studies the subject she expected to govern over and she studies the relationships of the people involved and then provides a history of that relationship. If there are surprises and cornering, it's because the person being surprised and cornered, not because she's setting a linguistic or rhetorical or conceptual trap.

She's way too "progressive" for my ilk but I have confidence in both her ability and her heart and I while it's only a trust I have in her, so far I don't think she's acted like ideological democrat, though my faith in her was shaken a bit when started actively endorsing Clinton. I'm taking for granted that she did out of fear for the Trump presidency, which is actually what she implied in her endorsements.
Holman

Post by Holman »

You can read CSK's full letter and statement here and decide whether it was irrelevant to Sessions' nomination and beneath the dignity of McConnell's senate.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Talkingpoints is fake news. The reading impugned! Impugned!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm just curious what argument would ever pass muster for denying a senator a cabinet position if you can't point out flaws that would make them bad for the job?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:The several times I have listened to her ranting, I've been turned off even though she should be aligned very well with my beliefs (which she is, so maybe it's delivery). Same with Franken actually. I get the sense of overreach and/or pettiness in their arguments, when the basis of the arguments (IMO) are sound enough to stand alone without focusing on minutiae, or displays of bringing down the hammer. That's very broad, I know, but I can't point to specific instances, just a feeling.

Maybe it's the establishment left (Reid, Pelosi and their ilk) that I am disappointed in, that Michael Moore(!) has been decrying lately, and says needs to be replaced. I blanch at agreeing with much of anything he says, but maybe he's gotten a bit wiser in his older age.
I'm the other way around. She is too brash for preference (at least she's not smarmy) but she has her facts straight and she doesn't stray from them. Franken tries to set people up with "A Has" by controlling the conversation. Warren doesn't care about the conversation. She just has a mass of the facts of history. She studies the subject she expected to govern over and she studies the relationships of the people involved and then provides a history of that relationship. If there are surprises and cornering, it's because the person being surprised and cornered, not because she's setting a linguistic or rhetorical or conceptual trap.

She's way too "progressive" for my ilk but I have confidence in both her ability and her heart and I while it's only a trust I have in her, so far I don't think she's acted like ideological democrat, though my faith in her was shaken a bit when started actively endorsing Clinton. I'm taking for granted that she did out of fear for the Trump presidency, which is actually what she implied in her endorsements.
If your faith in her was shaken when she endorsed a center-left candidate after they won the nomination when the alternative was this crazy fascist, then you never actually had faith in her.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Rip wrote:
malchior wrote:Senate (read: Republican hypocrites) to Elizabeth Warren - don't read letters from dead people calling a racist a racist.

Interesting to note in my estimation they censured her for impugning his motives -- by talking about his actions and reputation from before he was a Senator. But this isn't about principles anymore - it is war.
Rule 19 is about maintaining a decorum in the Congress and not letting it devolve into personal attacks against each other. Totally justified. No different than if he was up there calling her Fauxcahontas.
Come on, Rip. That's not even close to the same thing. Please try to make your dissent more than a joke.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:If your faith in her was shaken when she endorsed a center-left candidate after they won the nomination when the alternative was this crazy fascist, then you never actually had faith in her.
My faith in her is not blind. I'm not good at having blind faith.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote:
El Guapo wrote:If your faith in her was shaken when she endorsed a center-left candidate after they won the nomination when the alternative was this crazy fascist, then you never actually had faith in her.
You disapprove of the fact that she didn't want Trump to be president? Because it was only going to be Clinton or Trump at that point. There was no third way forward.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote:You disapprove of the fact that she didn't want Trump to be president? Because it was only going to be Clinton or Trump at that point. There was no third way forward.
Trump is president. There is no second way at this point. Does that mean I have to endorse him?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote:
Max Peck wrote:You disapprove of the fact that she didn't want Trump to be president? Because it was only going to be Clinton or Trump at that point. There was no third way forward.
Trump is president. There is no second way at this point. Does that mean I have to endorse him?
No, the election is over. It wasn't when she made her endorsement. Endorsing Clinton then was the best option she had if she wanted to avoid the administration you're currently enjoying so much.

Raison d'edit: Because spelling and typing are hard...
Last edited by Max Peck on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:
It's not about blind faith, or about following everything her (or any preferred candidate says). At the same time, you either trust someone's judgment or you don't. The last couple weeks have amply demonstrated what was apparent during the campaign - Trump is a crazy bigoted ignorant asshole. It's just weird to say essentially, "oh, I like her values, and where she comes out on most issues, but geez, she's asking me to vote for Clinton over a crazy bigoted ignorant asshole - that really makes me question her judgment."
Black Lives Matter.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Sessions easily confirmed.

:horse:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote:Sessions easily confirmed as a bigoted jackass.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fake NYT
near-party-line vote, 52 to 47 ... No Republicans broke ranks

Roll
Voted "yes"
D Joe Manchin III W.Va.
“Present” votes
R Jeff Sessions Ala.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Joe Manchin III
In an interview, Joe Manchin has said that he will support Jeff Sessions for Attorney General. This is now the 2nd time in 10 days that Senator Manchin has broke with party leadership, the first being when he criticized Senator Harry Reid (NV) for criticizing Trump.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rip wrote:Sessions easily confirmed.

52-47 is easily confirmed?
Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

pr0ner wrote:

The biggest landslide Cabinet vote in American history. Make America great!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
PLW

Post by PLW »

pr0ner wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's the largest margin for an AG nominee in the history of the Republic.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
PLW

Post by PLW »

Bah..scooped.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Not enough klan in the house yet for a landslide it seems. But be patient. One hood at a time.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Manchin's kind of an ass, but realistically he's the best senator we can expect out of West Virginia in the short or medium term. Plus he's facing reelection in a tough state for a democrat in 2018, and Sessions was a given to be confirmed anyway, so I'm fine with his vote.

Hopefully he did so with acknowledgment that Sessions is an awful person, but who knows.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Our Senator, Tim Scott (SC), is African American and took time to defend Sessions and read statements from black Alabama Democrats supporting Sessions. It boggles the mind.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:Tim Scott (SC-R)
stessier

Post by stessier »

I thought the R was given as he is from SC. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote:Our Senator, Tim Scott (SC), is African American and took time to defend Sessions and read statements from black Alabama Democrats supporting Sessions. It boggles the mind.
He's truly an idiot, or worse, disingenuous. He also supported Devos supposedly because he thinks her model will benefit poor black communities like the one he grew up in.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr wrote:He also supported Devos supposedly because he thinks her model will benefit poor black communities like the one he grew up in.
Is it really so hard to believe that parents would want to send their kids somewhere other than the shitty public school they happen to live next to?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Moliere wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:He also supported Devos supposedly because he thinks her model will benefit poor black communities like the one he grew up in.
Is it really so hard to believe that parents would want to send their kids somewhere other than the shitty public school they happen to live next to?
"Want to"? No. Be able to afford to? Yes.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Moliere wrote:
This is the problem with vouchers. So all the poor kids choose the neighborhood school. The parents move to a new school, or invent one, or create a corporate charter school for the newly enfranchized poor community that is poorly regulated and is the walmart of school, so not only is it shitty but it exploits people for profit.

Making schools even more of a class based competition is not a legit way to ensure universal quality education. It just ensures that it can be exploited in more individualized ways than the current system.
Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Combustible Lemur

Double post
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If you have the opportunity to send your kids to a good private religious school, perhaps that helps you but it cannot help everyone.

My wife's uncle wrote a book about a remarkable Catholic High School in the segregated South that did amazing work teaching many black men and women who went on to do many great achievements. They were the exception, not the rule, and very aware that others in their community had been left behind.

The stated objective of school choice is to defund public schools by shifting money to religious and private schools which are able to discriminate. That means they can exclude students based on religion, academic ability, behavior, physical disability, medical condition, race, gender, etc. The result will be segregation and a disparity of opportunities -- often by class and race.

That is not only morally offensive to me, but I have two children with medical issues (insulin dependent diabetes). Under the American with Disabilities Act, the Chicago Public Schools MUST LEGALLY accommodate their health needs or risk Federal defunding. It's a struggle even with the law on my side, my legal background and an assertive wife to fight on their behalf. With DeVos, I not only have to worry about academics but her stated desire to leave the public schools without the resources to assist more costly kids. Private schools WILL NOT accept them--there's no profit in them.

I have no faith a Trump administration will keep or enforce the ADA--those regulations are expensive to real estate developers who are forced to put in ramps, bigger bathrooms, etc.

All the Republican proposals on Obamacare repeal, school vouchers, and deregulation are bullets aimed at my children and millions more like them.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Jill Stein, confirming for anyone who wasn't already aware, that she is a complete and total fucking loon:
FYI, Palin wannabe, all the Democrats voted against her.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zarathud wrote:I have no faith a Trump administration will keep or enforce the ADA--those regulations are expensive to real estate developers who are forced to put in ramps, bigger bathrooms, etc.
I'd be nervous too. Speaker Bro told people last month that dreamers won't be deported. Well, apparently ICE rounded up a dreamer and sent her packing this morning in AZ, separating her from her 14 year old daughter.

Compassion? The idea that this happened is beyond comprehension.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
PLW

Post by PLW »

Well regulated charters are a boon to poor kids. Vouchers...mixed evidence. Poorly regulated charters...bad news.

Combustible Lemur

PLW wrote:Well regulated charters are a boon to poor kids. Vouchers...mixed evidence. Poorly regulated charters...bad news.

Some* poor kids.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
PLW wrote:Well regulated charters are a boon to poor kids. Vouchers...mixed evidence. Poorly regulated charters...bad news.

Some* poor kids.
Obviously they only help the kids they enroll. If I said "education helps poor kids" would you asterisk that, too, because it doesn't help all poor kids?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

See my point above. Charters are limited by design to teach the profitable* kids, not all kids.

* profitable does not mean those who can be helped the most, but those who are cheapest to teach.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

DeVos's Charter model is the unregulated one, based on her Michigan track record.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Pyperkub wrote:

DeVos's Charter model is the unregulated one, based on her Michigan track record.
This. She has worked very hard to keep them unregulated. If she had used the money she gave campaigns of those who supported her causes to provide better resources for the schools - building repair, teacher retention and recruitment, head start programs, etc the schools in general would be much much more successful. Instead she has been working hard to ruin them.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken