Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:06 am The ‘Dune’ Screenplay Was Written in MS-DOS

The Oscar winning screenwriter of ‘Dune’ writes in an MS-DOS program that can only hold 40 pages in memory.
Oscar winning Dune screenwriter Eric Roth banged out the screenplay using the MS-DOS program Movie Master.

Roth writes everything using the 30-year-old software. “I work on an old computer program that’s not in existence anymore,” Roth said in an interview in 2014. “It’s half superstition and half fear of change.” Roth wrote the screenplay for Dune in 2018 and explained he was still using Movie Master on a Barstool Sports podcast in 2020. That means Dune was written in an MS-DOS program.
Jesus. Sounds like my uncle. I wonder if he's equally as anal-retentive?

I will partly defend Jeff V's position as someone who has no dog in this fight. As mentioned before, I've only played the (glorious) PC game of Dune...no book reading, no movies watched, etc. I have had the book in my reading backlog for years, so I have shown at least that much interest in the IP.

I am not that interested in watching only one half of a movie, whose story MIGHT (confirmed, now), be continued in a year or two. In fact, if the second part of the movie was not secured, and sure to be made, I sure as shit would not watch the first one. I really don't want to support that model personally. Don't like the idea of this being some kind of Kickstarter where if I want to see the widget made, I have to pony up for it.

Thinking about the LOTR movies though, where I had read all of those books at least three times...I wasn't as concerned I guess, because I already knew what was going to happen. It wasn't like I was waiting for some resolution like someone who had never read the books.

I guess that's why I am a HUGE binge watcher. Even (maybe especially) things I am SUPER interested in, I will wait until they are finished before I start watching. Exception: Started watching and was subsequently hooked by the series Ozark....but then I didn't know anything about it, so it wasn't like some beloved IP. I do feel like the time that has passed since I watched the last episode, until now (or until the next season drops), has diminished my enjoyment of the series, and I will have forgotten much of the nuance and details of the prior seasons (yes, even with Youtube summaries) by the time I see a new episode.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:06 am The ‘Dune’ Screenplay Was Written in MS-DOS

The Oscar winning screenwriter of ‘Dune’ writes in an MS-DOS program that can only hold 40 pages in memory.
Oscar winning Dune screenwriter Eric Roth banged out the screenplay using the MS-DOS program Movie Master.

Roth writes everything using the 30-year-old software. “I work on an old computer program that’s not in existence anymore,” Roth said in an interview in 2014. “It’s half superstition and half fear of change.” Roth wrote the screenplay for Dune in 2018 and explained he was still using Movie Master on a Barstool Sports podcast in 2020. That means Dune was written in an MS-DOS program.
Ha. Back in the day, Wife clung to a DOS word processing program called XyWrite while the rest of the world was battling between WordStar and MS Word. XyWrite was a nasty little text-only program that used non-intuitive key commands, but it was what she knew.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:06 am The Oscar winning screenwriter of ‘Dune’ writes in an MS-DOS program that can only hold 40 pages in memory.
So *that's* why we only got half a movie!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:29 am
I am not that interested in watching only one half of a movie, whose story MIGHT (confirmed, now), be continued in a year or two.
Avoid the Game of Thrones books. :wink:
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:50 pm Avoid the Game of Thrones books. :wink:
Was that the sound of mic dropping?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...no, that was my pants. It's Wednesday, after all.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Your balls drop on Wednesday? I think could have saved for the never written last part of the novel.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think my dad still uses WordPerfect. Probably the same version he had in 1993....
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You should help him move to Lotus Notes.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:19 pm I think my dad still uses WordPerfect. Probably the same version he had in 1993....
My parents still have the OSR2 (windows 95) machine I built for them because it has a host of 16bit applications they like. They also have a Windows XP machine. They also have a Windows 7 machine. They also have 4 Windows 10 machines. Whatever makes them happy.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I watched the IMAX version yesterday, and enjoyed it immensely.

I'm gratified I opted for the IMAX version, because it's an absolute feast for the eyes and ears. This version of Dune is unquestionably best experienced on the most gigantic screen possible. Having said that, I also came away thoroughly impressed with the audio and aural experience, too. Suffice to say, you're definitely missing out if you watch this on TV (unless you're fortunate enough to possess a home theatre system worthy of Elon Musk).

It has been a few years since I last read the novel. But as far as I'm concerned, Villeneuve did a masterful job of condensing the epic scope of a massive novel onto film, even if half of the story remains yet to be told. The movie incorporates the most critical elements of the novel into a narrative that works extremely well. More importantly, it does so in a way that makes the story approachable and compelling even for those completely unfamiliar with the books. Because I saw it with someone who'd never read any of the books, and they also thought the movie was superb.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As I mentioned before, I was impressed with the way Villeneuve was able to explain things without stopping the story to actually explain them. My favorite instance of that was the mentats being human computers, as I mentioned earlier. He told you exactly what they were with a simple, 4 second scene of a mentat being asked a question and having their eyes roll back into their heads as they searched for an answer.

He really is a fantastic director.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:50 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:29 am
I am not that interested in watching only one half of a movie, whose story MIGHT (confirmed, now), be continued in a year or two.
Avoid the Game of Thrones books. :wink:
Too late! Read them all…twice!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holy crap, you got a copy of Winds of Winter!?!?!?

<i tease, i tease...just trying to say we all partake of unfinished media from time to time :wink: >
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 pm As I mentioned before, I was impressed with the way Villeneuve was able to explain things without stopping the story to actually explain them. My favorite instance of that was the mentats being human computers, as I mentioned earlier. He told you exactly what they were with a simple, 4 second scene of a mentat being asked a question and having their eyes roll back into their heads as they searched for an answer.

Another example is space travel. We learn from Paul's Zoom lesson that spice is crucial to it, but there's never any overt explanation of how. But when you actually see a Guild heighliner, it's like looking through a tube with the origin planet visible at the other end. This seems impossible, and it tells you that this isn't a simple warp-drive or hyperspace universe. You see that space travel is mysterious in Dune, and that's all you need to know.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:04 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 pm As I mentioned before, I was impressed with the way Villeneuve was able to explain things without stopping the story to actually explain them. My favorite instance of that was the mentats being human computers, as I mentioned earlier. He told you exactly what they were with a simple, 4 second scene of a mentat being asked a question and having their eyes roll back into their heads as they searched for an answer.

Another example is space travel. We learn from Paul's Zoom lesson that spice is crucial to it, but there's never any overt explanation of how. But when you actually see a Guild heighliner, it's like looking through a tube with the origin planet visible at the other end. This seems impossible, and it tells you that this isn't a simple warp-drive or hyperspace universe. You see that space travel is mysterious in Dune, and that's all you need to know.
I didn't catch that when we saw it Saturday, but Archinerd pointed it out afterwards during our post film discussion.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I need to find a copy of National Lampoon’s Doon. I read it in high school and laughed my ass off. I found a few quotes from it that still make me chuckle. I love how they skewer Herbert’s constant use of inner monologue, among other things.
She sat up in the sweat-tent and glanced about. Her Boni Maroni training, coupled with the vision she could create by looking with her eyes, disclosed an optic datum: the absence of her son meant that he was not there.
What sort of man was Duke Lotto Agamemnides? We may say he was a brave man, yet a man who knew the value of caution. We may say he was possessed of a highly refined sense of honor -- yet, like all leaders, was he no less capable of acts duplicitous and sleazy. We may say this, we may say that -- indeed, we may say anything we want. We may say, for example, that he was not a man at all, but rather a highly evolved bicycle. See? We may say just about anything
As always, Pall experienced a profound sense of how much his father was his father, and not another thing, such as a chair.
"Uncle," Filp-Rotha said. "May I—"

"A-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h, my nephew looks impatient," the Baron drawled. "My darling Filp, how will you ever learn to succeed me, when you cannot succeed yourself?"

"Huh?
He won. Period.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Just saw this in IMAX myself. Wow. I don't usually go for action flicks, but this this quite extraordinary. I

think one of my problems with action movies is that it often seems like the fights or explosions or whatever are just there for their own sake. Totally gratuitous. I never had that sense in this one. The director very gently and subtly let you know what was going on and why at every step. Always exactly enough background to let the viewer keep up, but no more. When you couple that with the amazing sets and special effects and music and terrific actors, the end result is just spectacular.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:49 pm I need to find a copy of National Lampoon’s Doon. I read it in high school and laughed my ass off. I found a few quotes from it that still make me chuckle. I love how they skewer Herbert’s constant use of inner monologue, among other things.
She sat up in the sweat-tent and glanced about. Her Boni Maroni training, coupled with the vision she could create by looking with her eyes, disclosed an optic datum: the absence of her son meant that he was not there.
What sort of man was Duke Lotto Agamemnides? We may say he was a brave man, yet a man who knew the value of caution. We may say he was possessed of a highly refined sense of honor -- yet, like all leaders, was he no less capable of acts duplicitous and sleazy. We may say this, we may say that -- indeed, we may say anything we want. We may say, for example, that he was not a man at all, but rather a highly evolved bicycle. See? We may say just about anything
As always, Pall experienced a profound sense of how much his father was his father, and not another thing, such as a chair.
"Uncle," Filp-Rotha said. "May I—"

"A-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h, my nephew looks impatient," the Baron drawled. "My darling Filp, how will you ever learn to succeed me, when you cannot succeed yourself?"

"Huh?
Let me know if you ever find the whole text...that sounds awesome, and I missed it during it's magazine run. The funniest thing I ever read was the short story Vacation they published, which was turned into the Chevy Chase series of movies. I liked the first movie which was based on this story, but it was nowhere near the belly laughs that short story elicited.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don’t believe it was ever featured in the magazine. It was a book, just like Harvard Lampoon’s Bored of the Rings.

The only copies I see online are going for 40 to 50 bucks for the paperback. I’m hoping a kindle version will be released.

Vacation I did read in the magazine. And I agree, it was even funnier than the movie.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:26 pm
It has been a few years since I last read the novel. But as far as I'm concerned, Villeneuve did a masterful job of condensing the epic scope of a massive novel onto film, even if half of the story remains yet to be told. The movie incorporates the most critical elements of the novel into a narrative that works extremely well. More importantly, it does so in a way that makes the story approachable and compelling even for those completely unfamiliar with the books. Because I saw it with someone who'd never read any of the books, and they also thought the movie was superb.
Saw this at the theater today even though I have HBO Max and I loved it. Great translation of the book to the screen, in fact probably one of the best ever. I agree with everything you say above. I too went with a friend who never read the books and he really liked it also.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

paulbaxter wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 pm Just saw this in IMAX myself. Wow. I don't usually go for action flicks, but this this quite extraordinary.
I don't think I've ever seen it described as an action flick.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean...it has action. But so does 2001. It's far more than just that, is what I'm saying.. It's as much an action film as Bladrunner or any other thoughtful science fiction.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:58 am
paulbaxter wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:15 pm Just saw this in IMAX myself. Wow. I don't usually go for action flicks, but this this quite extraordinary.
That would be another red flag.

My biggest problem with the Lynch version was the extravagant special effects. One of the core principles in the Duneiverse (did I just type that?) is a legally legislated lack of technology. Whiz-bang special effects in abundance are the opposite of what the book was about.
Spoiler:
Except maybe for the use of the Atriedes family atomics to blow up the shield wall near the end.
Black Lives Matter
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:06 pm My biggest problem with the Lynch version was the extravagant special effects. One of the core principles in the Duneiverse (did I just type that?) is a legally legislated lack of technology.
That's not how I've read it. I mean, they obviously have space ships and personal shields and all sorts of sci-fi things so it's not like the technology doesn't exist, only it's based on mechanics instead of electronics. So I've always viewed it more as what steampunk or early 1900s tech would be if it kept evolving for thousands of years, and I think they pretty much nailed that esthetic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:06 pm
That would be another red flag.
It would be...if there were literally even just one other person who said this (and even then, they added the caveat that it was a good movie). Every battle in the movie is in the book. I wouldn't call Dune an action story. Would you?

And as I noted before, I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to find reasons to hate this movie. Why not just say "I'm not going to see it" and then relax? It just seems too exhausting to continually search for any comment that seems negative to you then pouncing on it. :?

You could spend that time perfecting your beer formula, or work on the greatest BBQ rib recipe on Earth. So many lives could be changed! :)
Jeff V wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:06 pm One of the core principles in the Duneiverse (did I just type that?) is a legally legislated lack of technology.
I think you need to reread Dune. It's thinking machines that are not allowed. Technology itself isn't banned after the Butlerian Jihad.
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:12 am <snip>
Psst. You are doing it again. Really, every post should just end with #notforjeffv. It doesn't matter what you say, he's going to keep on keeping on.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I have a question about space travel in Dune:

How was space travel accomplished before the discovery of the spice on Arrakis? Were they folding space by some riskier means (maybe pre-Butlerian computers)? Is there some lesser FTL means available in this universe? (If so, how does the Guild maintain its monopoly?)

It's suggested that there was already a large starfaring society in place before the discovery of the spice. I believe the Zensunni had already done all of their wandering between worlds before its discovery. So, how?

I hope there's a canonical answer that won't require me to read Brian Herbert.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What could have been:

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:44 am I have a question about space travel in Dune:

How was space travel accomplished before the discovery of the spice on Arrakis? Were they folding space by some riskier means (maybe pre-Butlerian computers)? Is there some lesser FTL means available in this universe? (If so, how does the Guild maintain its monopoly?)

It's suggested that there was already a large starfaring society in place before the discovery of the spice. I believe the Zensunni had already done all of their wandering between worlds before its discovery. So, how?

Spice isn't required for space travel per se, it only allows for safe navigation which in turn allows for dependable communication and commerce.

FTL travel is done by space-folding technology through something called the "Holtzman effect", which is basically the same technology as the shields and anti-gravity suspensors are based on. What spice does though, is allow for prescience powerful enough to sense the path through space that won't destroy the ship. Without the spice, FTL travel was really dangerous and caused roughly one in ten fold attempts to destroy the vessel en route. Which might be fine for refugees, desperate colonists such as the Zensunni wanderers or intrepid explorers but not for binding together a cohesive interstellar empire.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lagom Lite wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:22 am
Holman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:44 am I have a question about space travel in Dune:

Spice isn't required for space travel per se, it only allows for safe navigation which in turn allows for dependable communication and commerce.

FTL travel is done by space-folding technology through something called the "Holtzman effect", which is basically the same technology as the shields and anti-gravity suspensors are based on. What spice does though, is allow for prescience powerful enough to sense the path through space that won't destroy the ship. Without the spice, FTL travel was really dangerous and caused roughly one in ten fold attempts to destroy the vessel en route. Which might be fine for refugees, desperate colonists such as the Zensunni wanderers or intrepid explorers but not for binding together a cohesive interstellar empire.
Ah. (And you remind me that I need to dig out my old DUNE ENCYCLOPEDIA.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A is for Arrakis, a hot planet.

B is for Boy, Arrakis sure is hot.

C is for Christ, this planet is really hot.

D is for Damnit, why is it so freakin' hot?
TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:38 am
Psst. You are doing it again. Really, every post should just end with #notforjeffv. It doesn't matter what you say, he's going to keep on keeping on.
But I need him back on the rib and beer stuff!
He won. Period.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I dunno, I think even a curmudgeon like Jeff V is sure to be blown away by the outstanding CGI of Villeneuve's new and improved Weirding Modules, not to mention those incredible mecha-sandworms!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I really enjoyed about Villeneuve's vision of Dune was his fantastic update that sees Baron Harkonnen not as a sadistic tyrant, but rather as a misunderstood and caring grandfather to 4 little scamps who are always getting into trouble. The last half of the first film had me in stitches as those ragamuffins kept messing up spice deliveries. I loved it when three of them stood on each other's shoulders and pretended to be a sardaukar so they could get into an R rated film being shown in one of the sietches.
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yeah, I chuckled at that description :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

TheMix wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:38 am
Where's that list/thread of things Jeff V doesn't like? This needs to be added to it :)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's still there....waaaaay back in our history. I thought it might be a bit too mean spirited though and let it go after a while. Plus, how do you top "hates the Amish because they're a cult" and "children with poor time management skills"?
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

of note from that:
“If things go well with ‘Part Two,’ I could foresee the idea of maybe doing … ‘Dune: Messiah.’ That would make sense to me. After that, I think that I will make some other movies – let’s call them big movies, regarding their ambition and scope. And later on, when I’m too tired to do that, I will go back to some smaller projects. But for now, I have the energy to do this.”
someone told me that Messiah was going to be tacked onto the end of part two, which... didn't make sense to me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are pretty straight-forward stories, not nearly as complex as Dune. The miniseries covered them well enough, I thought.

Beyond that, as far as the Frank Herbert books go, the rest I'd consider unfilmable, Now, the Brian Herbert books would make good filler movies...but from God Emperor on, things get too philosophical (not much action) and too implausible, projecting some of the same characters and houses 10,000 years in the future. When you consider human history, the longest family dynasties are extinct after a few hundred years.

And to address something hepcat alluded to..after the Butlerian Jihad, human civilization devolved into a Feudalistic society. While there was some areas of technological advancement (mostly biological in nature, not technological), most of the common folk were of the peasant variety. It didn't seem as if they had so much as a TV, let alone anything that would challenge Hollywood wizards today. Some things, such as a lazegun-shield explosion, could be the target of special effects wizardry, but the vibe i've always gotten from the books was the antithesis of such wizardry. The technology was more biological in nature -- the guild evolving into an almost different species, then using biological means to fold space and move the guild liners. Remember, the great houses greatest military assets were their family atomics, a technology almost quaint by today's standards.
Black Lives Matter