Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by coopasonic »

You guys are making me feel pretty good about the way I have backed off kickstarters over the last couple years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RMC wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:35 am I am considering getting it all for the second printing, as honestly I had this as a kid, and it warms my heart to have it again, lots of memories tied up in this.
I don't have any experience, but did enjoy watching this video as he seems to provide an honest assessment

Maybe next year, maybe no go
RMC

Post by RMC »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:43 am You guys are making me feel pretty good about the way I have backed off kickstarters over the last couple years.
I have not backed anything for a while, but yeah, this has the feels for me, and it's not that expensive in comparission.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

RMC wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:35 am Anyone get this in the first wave? https://www.backerkit.com/c/restoration ... n072622-01

I am considering getting it all for the second printing, as honestly I had this as a kid, and it warms my heart to have it again, lots of memories tied up in this.

Thanks.
I lucked into a copy at my FLGS soon after the KS was finished. I think it's a very fun game, doubly so if you have nostalgia from the original (which I do).

My initial thoughts are here and they've only become more positive after another 10'ish plays. It's hit the table as much as anything this year.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:11 am Oh man, everything about that game looks amazing. I've heard such good things, maybe I'll jump in on this KS.
It's even worse because apparently the optional storage system (+$70) is borderline required and you still might want to get the Fierce Powers expansion (which doesn't seem to be listed as an add-on yet?).

So yeah, way more than $184 + shipping.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:49 am
RMC wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:35 am I am considering getting it all for the second printing, as honestly I had this as a kid, and it warms my heart to have it again, lots of memories tied up in this.
I don't have any experience, but did enjoy watching this video as he seems to provide an honest assessment

Good review, don't really disagree with him on anything. Three quick thoughts:

- That video at the beginning with that shows how "uninspiring" the tower is? That's just the boot up sequence, not what it does during actual gameplay.
- The nostalgia factor can be huge for this one. There's even a setting with the original sound effects, which is awesome.
- I only paid $110 at retail for my copy. Maybe I got a screaming deal, but it doesn't cost anywhere near the $190 he paid.

I really need to get the xpac, I've heard really good things about it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:25 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:59 am Holy crap what a mess for BLG and the fantasy miniatures this morning. Woke up to read the update requesting more money - which seems sketchy as hell (quite frankly). I don't doubt more money is needed to ship the goods that have been sitting at QML for almost a year, but there's no way I'm giving money to a random GoFundMe account to make it happen.

Which is good because shortly after the GoFundMe campaign was launched, it was pulled for violating the ToS.
Welp, confirmation that my Lasting Tales pledge is lost. I really regret increasing that to include the FS1 minis (hahahaha). The irony - I pledged Lasting Tales to have minis to use for DUN, which arrived a day before FS1 got the death blow.
I just want my copies of Dire Alliance and the Street Master expansions I backed. Unfortunately, those together represent about 350 to 400 bucks worth of stuff. :(
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

My Lasting Fantasy was ~$250. Large enough to be angry about, too small to do anything about.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:19 pm Any thoughts on Euthia? (other than that it sounds too close to urethra).

I've heard its name uttered with no small amount of awe over the years (especially in the solo gamer groups). Just curious if anyone has actually played it. It's a hefty price of admission...even more so if you go all in.
It's probably a top 5 game for me :D . I like the character development, skills you unlock, gear you can acquire/buy. The choices can feel a bit like Mageknight where you really have to decided when to do what because you only have x amount of possible actions/moves. In multiplayer it's very cool that someone else controls the monster that you're fighting and that they're invested in the fight. If they manage to win they get VP and you lose VP. I could go on, but I really enjoy playing it even if I end up losing :) .

Anyway!

I made several Solo Euthia videos which you can check out on my channel but also a SONG that I finished just yesterday 😅😅:

SMGSLT Music - Euthia [Hip-Hop Edition]
Spoiler:
The solo videos:

Euthia: ToR - Walking Destruction ~ SOLO Playthrough
Spoiler:
SMGSLT Solo Playthrough - Euthia: ToR [Third Time's The Charm!]
Spoiler:
And some

Unboxing videos:

SMGSLT Unboxing - Euthia: Torment of Resurrection [Legendary Pledge] [Kickstarter]
Spoiler:
SMGSLT Unboxing - Euthia: (original) Elemental Miniature Pack [Kickstarter]
Spoiler:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks Ezekiel!
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

EzeKieL wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:54 pm It's probably a top 5 game for me
I was like... hmm... I don't know if this is helpful. Then I went and watched your top 5 video and saw Twilight Imperium was your #1 and I was like - now this is a man of class and taste!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:41 pm
EzeKieL wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:54 pm It's probably a top 5 game for me
I was like... hmm... I don't know if this is helpful. Then I went and watched your top 5 video and saw Twilight Imperium was your #1 and I was like - now this is a man of class and taste!
:lol: :lol:

Thanks!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow, this has to be a first:
Quartermaster Logistics has been closely monitoring the recent update to the Blacklist Miniatures : Fantasy Series 1 Kickstarter Campaign ). There has been considerable discussion on social media outlets, and in the comments on the update and the campaign itself. There have also been several backers who have reached out to us directly with questions about the update and QML’s plans based on the information provided in the update. We are publishing this release to address our response to this situation.

At this time, Quartermaster Logistics is in internal discussions with the goal of finding a solution that services all parties involved to the best of our abilities. Those include not only QML and Blacklist Games, but also the backers and supporters of the Kickstarter. This is a complex situation with contractual obligations, so while there have been several options put forth by the backers, as well as options that we’ve discussed internally with our leadership, there are some limits to what is possible within those obligations. We’re looking at all the possibilities to establish a solution that is most beneficial to everyone involved.

We ask for your patience as we discuss these options. We will be posting publicly what our plans will be once they’ve been determined. Please note that it will take time for us to make and finalize those plans. We’re happy to see the enthusiasm and excitement from the supporters of this campaign and their offers and suggestions related to fulfillment. Any individual communications through either our social media or customer service outlets will be directed back to this page until we’ve decided on our plans for what’s upcoming.

Once again, we thank you for your patience during this time and we’ll be posting as soon as we’ve got the plans in place.

– Quartermaster Logistics Management Team
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow :shock: What a cluster...well...you know.

In other news, still no sign of my copy of Dungeon Universalis. :(
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They must also be very hesitant - especially given the current state of shipping - of opening anything even vaguely resembling a can of worms. Going out of their way to try to make arrangements is one thing, but if they grant an exception or allow individual payment, they'd likely be bombarded with requests for the same from every troubled project.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I can't even imagine what the legal issues might be. I'd think at some point they ultimately take possession of goods that aren't paid for (based on contract language) and they've said in the past those goods would go to Cool Stuff Inc to be sold. However, this is so much larger than a few dozen games. Crazy times indeed. That said, I'm sure they're getting tired of the emails and messages from backers asking for a status update - I can only imagine how much time they've spent over the last 7+ months responding to people about this.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if anyone else is waiting for V-Sabotage (was V-Commandos) but in the KS comments today:
USA & CANADA UPDATE

QML received the stock! They need a few days to get ready to ship.

There will be an address verification email campaign soon. You will be able to check and update your shipping address if needed by answering to this email. More details to follow about the address verification campaign soon. Please do not contact us before we tell you when it will start.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I bought in for all the new stuff and am anxiously awaiting this one. I’ve had some of the most cinematic moments in gaming ever with this one. :wub:
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:21 pm they've said in the past those goods would go to Cool Stuff Inc to be sold.
I don’t think any form of measurement exists that would adequately express how goddamn angry I would be if this happened.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I get the impression they've actively avoiding doing that as they know it would likely cause PR problems for them (despite being in their right to do so). It won't surprise me if they figure out a way to partner with CSI to have them "take possession" and collect additional fees from backers, allowing QML to ship them out. I can't imagine QML wants to figure out how to collect money, but CSI already has that infrastructure in place.

The whole thing is crazy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can’t be too mad right at the moment though. Now I’m jonesing for a day of V-Commandos….er Sabotage.

Have I mentioned that game has created some damn great moments for me? :D
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I only played it once at a local gaming convention - reminded me very much of a turn-based computer game. Felt like playing a WW2 action movie. But even back when I'd played it, it was difficult to get a copy, so yeah, I'm looking forward to it as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We played a six player game at one of the Octocon events a few years back. We lost everyone but two people. One of them made it to a courtyard with an AA canon, took out the nazi sitting in it, then proceeded to rain down hell on everyone coming out the main door while his compatriot made it to the exit. Realistic? Not entirely. Cinematic? Hells yeah.

With the new expansion Ghost, you can now level up your commandos with XP you use to buy new skills as you play across a theater. I’m really looking forward to that mode.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:30 pm I get the impression they've actively avoiding doing that as they know it would likely cause PR problems for them (despite being in their right to do so). It won't surprise me if they figure out a way to partner with CSI to have them "take possession" and collect additional fees from backers, allowing QML to ship them out. I can't imagine QML wants to figure out how to collect money, but CSI already has that infrastructure in place.

The whole thing is crazy.
I can't imagine QML wants to house these items much longer. I don't know how many boxes there are, but it is likely not a small amount.

What I am seeing is a change from the old model of "free shipping" and a switch to the "we will charge shipping when the product comes closer to fulfillment" model. That seems much more common on Gamefound and Backerkit than on Kickstarter. I don't love it, because they can always pull the crap CMON pulled with Marvel Zombies, but I guess this is more palatable than having your backed product stuck with no indication when or how it will get unstuck.

I think the worst idea would be for QML to basically hand these over to CSI for retail. I know WHY they would do that, but what a way to anger so many people whose money basically would have gone into investing in a company to produce retail items with no return on investment. I think the better solution is what you all suggested, transfer stock to CSI and have them reach out to backers to see if they can absorb the shipping costs.

But... perhaps the best solution that will take time is to have CSI claim some of BLG's retail stock and use some of the profits from that to defray the shipping costs owed to QML (and get the backers their product). I know that would be the death knell for BLG (and ruin my chances at getting FS2) but it seems the most equitable.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That one change (a hidden future expense, to be charged at a time of their choosing) has kept me from backing several projects, and has cut down how much I spent on others. It is one factor in the severe reduction in Kickstarters I back. When I back a project, I look at my budget and decide if I can afford it, and how much. Having unknown amounts pop up in six month or two years when I may be fine - or I may be dead broke - isn't something I can do.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:10 am That one change (a hidden future expense, to be charged at a time of their choosing) has kept me from backing several projects, and has cut down how much I spent on others. It is one factor in the severe reduction in Kickstarters I back. When I back a project, I look at my budget and decide if I can afford it, and how much. Having unknown amounts pop up in six month or two years when I may be fine - or I may be dead broke - isn't something I can do.
I get that, particularly if the extra expense is $60-100 extra.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, unless they assure me that shipping is a set rate (like chip theory games always does), I'm rethinking many of the projects I'd normally jump on.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If there's any interest in crowd funding a project, verifying that you still get benefits and rewards for backing at $1 to gain future access to the pledge manager seems to be the safest bet right now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good advice. I've done that a few times. I've got one waiting right now on Wasteland Knights as I try to decide if I want to go hog wild on that, or wait and grab it online or at a convention.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't find it to be good for solo play. Not sure if they addressed that with whatever they've added. Also, the flavor text/book was awesome but you're going to need a magnifying lens to read it. I can appreciate why they did it (books would have been the size of Middara), but man...tiny.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:03 pm Yeah, unless they assure me that shipping is a set rate (like chip theory games always does), I'm rethinking many of the projects I'd normally jump on.
Bones VI was a big one. They went with 'future shipping', too. I got a tiny fraction of what I normally do, as I can usually budget the shipping in as I buy, and can then add items when I have a little extra money while the pledge manager is still open (often for six months plus.) This time I'm terrified of jumping over some hidden weight line and into the next shipping category at some future point, so I'm not adding a thing.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For the aforementioned Wasteland Knights kickstarter, they're offering a play mat that takes the shipping from like 30 bucks to around 60. Folks are rethinking that pretty quickly now.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:51 pm For the aforementioned Wasteland Knights kickstarter, they're offering a play mat that takes the shipping from like 30 bucks to around 60. Folks are rethinking that pretty quickly now.
Is the mat made of lead? Geez!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not that it's heavy, it's that it's huge.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Stars of Akarios is looking like something I can’t resist. Space. Adventure. Miniatures. Since I’m not going to GenCon next weekend, getting just one game is a reasonable substitute, right?

The alternative is hepcat texting me pictures of Burncycle and my willpower failing on that game instead.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I kicked around Stars a lot in my head, but ultimately the comparison to Gloomhaven scared me off. I also hear that the “on planet” portions are weak for solo players, which is a detraction.

Burncycle, however, is something special. I don’t have any other game like it. The mechanics of actions and rolling are actually similar to what I read about Stars. But the focus on stealth and managing being spotted is a pretty new thing for a strategy “crawl” game.

The biggest issue is that you can get Stars now straight from the company. Burncycle is getting a reprint, which is a significant wait time.

Speaking of wait time Arydia by FarOffGames announced a delay until June. A large part of that has to do with owner/designer Cody caring for his son. While I am excited for the game, they seem to be a class act and I am happy to wait. That said, they were kind enough to refund my Add-On of Xia and Xia’s solo expansion, so I could order the copies that came available on Amazon (and not have to wait until June).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's a few people I still trust on KS and Cody is one of them. He's 100% legit and I can't wait for Arydia.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

baelthazar will be happy to know I caved on Burncycle.

While the draw was already strong since I'm a huge Chip Theory Games fan, the gameplay videos I watched today sold it. I loved the programming aspects of Mechs vs Minions, and while I know this game doesn't lock you into your program as much as that one does, it still seems like it has a similar vibe.

One of the criteria I have for any game I buy (particularly $100+ ones) is whether it fills a unique niche in my collection. Because I skew heavily fantasy, the theme of this one is not over-represented and I certainly don't own any stealth-focused games.

I just went with the base game for now to lock it in. I'm hoping to be able to see it at GenCon to decide whether or not I want to pony up for all the content.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sigh....another update from blacklist games on the fantasy series 1 minis today. They explain why the gofundme was taken down (you can't promise goods or services in return for donations), and say they're going to wait for QML to make a move.

They....well, Alex Lim as I don't believe anyone else works for BLG now....promise this won't affect Dire Alliance, but as for the other stuff? It sounds less than hopeful. Although to be honest, i doubt I'll get Dire Alliance either. But I was surprised to get Hour of Need, so who knows.

I'm getting prepared to see the games I paid for showing up on retail sites for substantially less than I paid, while I'll probably have to pay even more to get mine....if I even can.

Folks, DO NOT back or buy anything from BLG in the future. I can't stress that enough. I'll be surprised if I don't see a bankruptcy claim by year's end.
Covfefe!
yohnishi

Post by yohnishi »

I wonder what Rook's character card means with "Rook's Unmodified maximum HP is 14".

Does it mean Rook's HP should never get over 14? Or is it just a statement that his HP starts at 14?
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I think it means his max is 14 until other stuff modifies it in, I imagine, either direction.

That's how I would interpret it.