Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

EzeKieL

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by EzeKieL »

I'm at the highest shipping tier so I'll probably back out at the end :cry:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Because I clearly don't need money and have a problem:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will say that's surprisingly cheaper than I expected it to be when reading the description.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's not available in English bog oak with African blackwood inlay? What has happened to Kickstarter?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:00 pm It's not available in English bog oak with African blackwood inlay? What has happened to Kickstarter?
I might not get this...if I wasn't planning on spending the next 2 years of my gaming life playing the game. I did manage to opt out of the magnetic symbols for each class.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I think my gaming group is going to splurge on some wooden health trackers. The ones in GH were a constant pain once they got loose.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LaserOx’s inserts look great, but I’m worried about shipping costs. And thankful any Frosthaven decisions are hepcat’s problem, not mine.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:47 pm I will say that's surprisingly cheaper than I expected it to be when reading the description.
Oof, I was mistaken. The level I thought was for 4 characters is actually only for one. Way too expensive even before shipping.

We made our own customized player boards/health trackers with Gloomhaven using magnets and an adhesive magnetic strip attached to the back of the player boards. Worked pretty well. I wonder if I could pull that off again with frosthaven.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Been waiting a long time for this one

Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have the first two sets. I got them at Gencon on the cheap from coolstuff’s booth a few years ago.

It’s an interesting game that is hella tough. It’s a unique experience. I like it enough to back it for the new set and the upgrade kits.
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Hey Hey,

Recently a friend of mine, Evangelos, has joined the channel to do videos with me. He's also a kickstarter fan and so it made sense to do a top 20 of the kickstarters we're eagerly awaiting to be delivered:

20-11
Spoiler:
10-1
Spoiler:
And on another note, I totally folded and went all-in on Oathsworn :oops:

But I'm putting myself back on a KS budget next month :!:
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

EzeKieL wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:11 am And on another note, I totally folded and went all-in on Oathsworn :oops:

But I'm putting myself back on a KS budget next month :!:
There were only one and a half hours left on the KS timer. I had the Oathsworn base pledge in the cart, address confirmed, credit card number entered in the appropriate field, and cc code entered and checked. All I had to do was click "submit". I sat there and looked at it...$129...and closed the order window.

I really enjoyed the game when I got to play it at BGG Con. But...I just started playing Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles which looks like it's going to take a long time before I'm done with it. Sleeping Gods with all the expansions just arrived yesterday. (I had bought it from a guy before I went to the Con.) And Infinite Dungeons should be arriving early to mid 2023. I don't know if I'll have time to play Oathsworn a year from now.

Fiscal and temporal sanity prevailed.

I second guess myself every time I see it mentioned anywhere. :cry:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:32 pm I have the first two sets. I got them at Gencon on the cheap from coolstuff’s booth a few years ago.

It’s an interesting game that is hella tough. It’s a unique experience. I like it enough to back it for the new set and the upgrade kits.
Is it hella tough good? I’m tempted by its supposedly quick setup and breakdown time along with some RPG elements. And no minis!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ugh.

Funagain. :grund:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skies Above Britain has arrived.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Isgrimnur wrote:Skies Above Britain has arrived.
I got mine last week. I’m actually very excited about it. I kept trying to play the other entries and there is just something about being an Axis pilot that turned me away from it.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

baelthazar wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:34 am
Isgrimnur wrote:Skies Above Britain has arrived.
I got mine last week. I’m actually very excited about it. I kept trying to play the other entries and there is just something about being an Axis pilot that turned me away from it.
I’ve been working my way through the various scenarios before starting a campaign. The game does an excellent job introducing various parts of the game a little at a time, making learning both manageable and fun! The components are high quality and the rule book is well written. Many gameplay examples are sprinkled among the rule book and situation book which contains the tutorial scenarios. I think developers could learn a lot from this game regarding the teaching of complex rules to players.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:35 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:32 pm I have the first two sets. I got them at Gencon on the cheap from coolstuff’s booth a few years ago.

Is it hella tough good? I’m tempted by its supposedly quick setup and breakdown time along with some RPG elements. And no minis!
I’m not sure I’d say it’s hella good. It’s unique as hell though. The combat is a little fiddly, and skill checks can turn on a dime. I’m hoping they fix it/streamline it in the new edition.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:40 pm
$iljanus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:35 pm

I’m not sure I’d say it’s hella good. It’s unique as hell though. The combat is a little fiddly, and skill checks can turn on a dime. I’m hoping they fix it/streamline it in the new edition.
I went all in but after some thought I decided I didn’t need another dungeon crawler so I’m no longer all in. :D I’m sure I’ll be spending that $200 on some other shiny bauble. :think:
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wouldn’t go all in on it, but it was worth backing for me so I could get the upgrade kits for the stuff I got on the cheap at Gencon a few years back. That and the new expansion.

Honestly, it’s not something I’d call a great dungeon crawler. But it is just so unique I want to play it again.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:10 pm I wouldn’t go all in on it, but it was worth backing for me so I could get the upgrade kits for the stuff I got on the cheap at Gencon a few years back. That and the new expansion.

Honestly, it’s not something I’d call a great dungeon crawler. But it is just so unique I want to play it again.
This is enough info to reassure me that I’m not missing out on anything! Thanks Hepcat!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, there are games that I play because I find the mechanics interesting, then there are games I play because they're just plain fun. This one falls firmly in the former category for me. Something I enjoy, but may not be all that exciting for others. For example: one of my favorite things is to get a GMT game....then spend hours with a beer and the play through manual. Most folks just want to play and see the rules portion of the process as a necessary evil to get to the point where you can play. I view it as part of the fun though.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For me, I don't have another game like Legends Untold. Mechanically it's unique and it plays very much like a board game / RPG hyrbrid. It's not elegant by any means, but it fits in a very specific space.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

CMON just opened the pledge manager for Cthulhu Death May Die and they're charging 44 bucks for the base pledge shipping alone. I know they estimated 33 to 45, but I had hoped they'd be more towards the lower end. Considering that shipping is going down these days, I think they're taking advantage of people. I may very well be wrong, but that's my perception and it's going to prevent me from backing any more of their stuff in the future.

In other news, I got Frosthaven yesterday. This is the heaviest box I've ever received for a kickstarter. 37 damn pounds. The amount of stuff I got for 100 bucks is staggering. I definitely got in on the ground floor with this one.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hmm..maybe they revised it? I submitted the pledge manager about 30 seconds after I got the email and it was ~$36 for the $100 Unknowable pledge with no add-ons.

I'm still surprised they're collecting shipping ~12 months in advance.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I suspect they know prices are going down and want to take advantage of their customers before they go down even further. I have zero confidence in CMON's integrity at this point.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Given what's happened though after the last 2+ years, I'm amazed that anyone believes they know what prices will look like 10+ months from now when they're allegedly going to start shipping. They could go down, but they could also go up. I'm guessing they muscled a contract lock-in based on volume and are just gambling. Maybe it'll work, but I'm also confident they'll come back and ask for more money if prices go up.
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:17 pm In other news, I got Frosthaven yesterday. This is the heaviest box I've ever received for a kickstarter. 37 damn pounds. The amount of stuff I got for 100 bucks is staggering. I definitely got in on the ground floor with this one.
Hep,

Did you receive a shipping notice for Frosthaven? Here in New Mexico I know of four of us that haven't received anything at this point.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I did. It sat at "waiting for pickup" for about 4 days though. I attribute that to the fact it was shipped over Thanksgiving week.

They did say in the last update that it could take well into January for fulfillment, so I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been following this one for a while. When it first popped up, I actually thought it was connected to V-Sabotage but it's not (despite how it looks)

I'm not entire sure how mechanically different it is from V-Sabotage, but I share for those interested.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:15 pm I've been following this one for a while. When it first popped up, I actually thought it was connected to V-Sabotage but it's not (despite how it looks)

I'm not entire sure how mechanically different it is from V-Sabotage, but I share for those interested.
I’ve been following this too. It certainly looks like it shares some DNA with V-Sabotage which is fine by me…so I backed it, of course.
Black lives matter!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:They did say in the last update that it could take well into January for fulfillment, so I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.
We're still waiting on our copy here in NC as well. My buddy said he thought he read that base pledges with no add-ons were among the first ones being delivered.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:32 pm Given what's happened though after the last 2+ years, I'm amazed that anyone believes they know what prices will look like 10+ months from now when they're allegedly going to start shipping. They could go down, but they could also go up. I'm guessing they muscled a contract lock-in based on volume and are just gambling. Maybe it'll work, but I'm also confident they'll come back and ask for more money if prices go up.
Given what's happening in China right now, and the potential long-term impacts, I wouldn't cross my fingers on anything related to (most) Kickstarters getting cheaper or faster.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:15 pm I've been following this one for a while. When it first popped up, I actually thought it was connected to V-Sabotage but it's not (despite how it looks)

I need to stop coming in here. I have a serious lack of WWII games (despite it being one of my favorite periods), and by 'serious lack', I mean "I own Memoir '44."

I can't back, but I can sure gnash my teeth!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:25 pm I can't back, but I can sure gnash my teeth!
Might I humbly suggest backing for $1 to gain access to the pledge manager? I wouldn't expect that to be launched until after January and I'd imagine it'll be open 30+ days.

You still might come to the same conclusion as you have now, but you'll at least extend your options. I've now backed two KS projects for $1 that were giving me anxiety and as time has passed, I'm now just going to let them go. But I know if I didn't back for $1 I'd be wringing my hands and wishing I'd pledged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:35 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:25 pm I can't back, but I can sure gnash my teeth!
Might I humbly suggest backing for $1 to gain access to the pledge manager? I wouldn't expect that to be launched until after January and I'd imagine it'll be open 30+ days.

You still might come to the same conclusion as you have now, but you'll at least extend your options. I've now backed two KS projects for $1 that were giving me anxiety and as time has passed, I'm now just going to let them go. But I know if I didn't back for $1 I'd be wringing my hands and wishing I'd pledged.
I clicked 'remind me.' Maladum is still on the horizon - I'm saving my $1 for that!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:45 pm I clicked 'remind me.' Maladum is still on the horizon - I'm saving my $1 for that!
Wise, wise man.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Ertic wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:34 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:17 pm In other news, I got Frosthaven yesterday. This is the heaviest box I've ever received for a kickstarter. 37 damn pounds. The amount of stuff I got for 100 bucks is staggering. I definitely got in on the ground floor with this one.
Hep,

Did you receive a shipping notice for Frosthaven? Here in New Mexico I know of four of us that haven't received anything at this point.
I live in Hong Kong, basically next to the factory (China) and still nothing :grund: :grund:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Neat, I didn’t know that. Now we all know who to contact when we’re waiting on our Kickstarters! :D
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh wow. I knew you were overseas but didn't realize exactly where. Hopefully it arrives soon. I keep seeing unboxing stuff online and it looks insane.

Unrelated, but for $10 this seems like a bonkers KS:

To clarify, you either spend $4 and get a one shot "core game" print and play package -or- you spend $10 and you get that core set *plus* a new page every Friday to PnP for all of 2023.

Again, it's all PnP and from one of the Button Shy creators (Jason Tagmire, NJ represent!) so it's not a random unknown creator. I kinda like the idea of having something to look forward to every Friday...