Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

baelthazar

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by baelthazar »

Because I am paranoid, I feel like they are subsidizing the shipping of their other, earlier, KS with this one. They can’t know what the shipping prices will be closer to October.

As another note, my shipping is far lower than others. Getting Galactus means spending $120 to get a $150 item. Shipping to Europe is being assessed at several hundred dollars (one guy said $400+). I realize shipping is expensive, but this is more than at the height of COVID.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This article breaks it down. And to be honest, something seems sketchy about the prices CMON are charging.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:45 am This article breaks it down. And to be honest, something seems sketchy about the prices CMON are charging.
I requested a refund. Honestly, $190 for the Core and, admittedly, a lot of stretch goals is too much (particularly compared to what other KS are offering). I was on the fence about this KS from the get go, and only really backed it for my love of Marvel. I figure I can get the core at retail later, even if I am going to miss out on a lot of exclusives.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That 190 bucks you just saved will mostly likely get you a majority of the add ons through other means. It does suck that you had to forfeit 10 percent of your purchase though to cancel.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:45 am And to be honest, something seems sketchy about the prices CMON are charging.
They're either air-freight shipping the Core box to the United States in order to guarantee a Fall 2022 delivery -or- they're funding the leasing of a dedicated CMON ship.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Both of those theories revolve around them trying to make a deadline. I wonder if they could have avoided this PR debacle by just delaying the delivery a bit, or if they were locked in/need to make that deadline because of future projects.

The numbers, as they present them, just don't seem to add up.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder if they did the trendy thing and 'bought' container reservations out from under other shippers by paying multiples of the going rate, and then passed that on.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:Both of those theories revolve around them trying to make a deadline. I wonder if they could have avoided this PR debacle by just delaying the delivery a bit, or if they were locked in/need to make that deadline because of future projects.

The numbers, as they present them, just don't seem to add up.
I have also heard theories they are using all of the backers to subsidize the ridiculous shipping costs incurred by Galactus. At his size, they are going to need a significant amount of the ship.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

In other crowd funding news - Diea Games abruptly shut down its Euthia expansion and reprint Gamefound campaign and - possibly - shut down their company completely (the wording sounds very much like they disbanded). Like many have predicted here, I think we are seeing a dramatic death knell for big box games.
Diea Games on Gamefound wrote: Shutting down the campaign.
Dear backers and followers,

with a broken heart, we have to announce our crowdfunding on Gamefound has failed. It is very hard for us to explain everything but in a simple way it is just about the number of backers we have. Since we were aiming at a number of 6 000 backers to be able to safely produce the game with all addons and expansions, we know that there is no way we can beat this number now. On top of all, we don't want to jeopardise your money with an uncertain outcome of this project and that is the main reason why we will rather cancel it now than deal with a lot of trouble later.

The Gamefound campaign is going to be shut down very soon but you don't have to worry you will NOT be charged ANYTHING. Our company Diea Games will end its work from today but we will fulfil our commitments about delivering new Metal Coins as we promised to those who had black smudges on them (backers from Kickstarter / online store). Metal Coins are in production as we speak.

Thank you so much for all your support, we appreciate it.

Take good care of each other because at the end of the day only our loved ones and the people we care about are most important in our lives,

Tadeáš
I was following this, but had not backed. I appreciate they pulled the plug before getting in over their heads.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was following as well. I guess they needed to hit about $1.5 million in funding and with only 2200 backers and 15K followers, it wasn't going to happen.

I am totally with you - I think the golden age of big-box miniature gaming is over. Monolith is apparently going to relaunch their Gotham City Chronicles game with a focus on updating the rules and providing a dedicated solo option for all products in that line, which I totally didn't see coming. How they're also going to offer the ability to re-purchase all that content I don't know, but I'm guessing prices are going to be quite high. I was just getting ready to offload my untouched set because of the lack of solo play, but now I'm going to hold on to it for a bit longer to see what happens.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was looking at that one too. But it was well over 100 bucks just for the core. And it went all the up to like 3 or 4 hundred smackers, I believe.

Between the economy and the shipping, I agree. Big box stuff is going to go away for a while...if not forever.

However, I will still buy just about anything Lovecraft related because I'm a moron.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:26 pm However, I will still buy just about anything Lovecraft related because I'm a moron.
If I have time this weekend, I want to post about Machina Arcana. Maybe even go crazy and post an AAR in a dedicated thread.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think we discussed it earlier. I own it, but missed out on the last kickstarter with the upgrade pack. However, it looks like I can download much of the upgraded material and just keep it handy if I try it again. My first attempt kind of left me cold because the rules sucked...they sucked as few things have sucked before.

But I want to try it again with the updated rules.

Middara and Descent: LoD still dominate my dungeon crawling game days though.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I started a discussion about the broader issues over in the randomness thread.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yea, QML just sent me an email asking for address verification for Hour of Need! Hopefully it was stored under good conditions and not outside under a tarp after being in the warehouse for so long... :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image

Hopefully by the end of the month then (I'm guessing it'll start shipping the week of 5/23)!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo, just got my Hour of Need address verification email as well!
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:43 pm Monolith is apparently going to relaunch their Gotham City Chronicles game with a focus on updating the rules and providing a dedicated solo option for all products in that line, which I totally didn't see coming.
I wasn't surprised when I heard. They just delivered on their most recent Conan Kickstarter (which is the system that Batman GCC was built off of), and while it did include traditional expansions and content, one big focus, and a big seller - was that they were also offering updated and reprinted rulebooks, plus a full set of solo rules.

I still have the all-in S1 Batman pledge I was given, plus a mix of the S2 offerings, so I'll probably at least want to get my hands on the rules.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Sorry to veer into another game, but has anyone backed, or is anyone planning on backing Tiny Epic Vikings?

I have Tiny Epic Galaxies and enjoyed it the few times I have played. My son is into mythology (Norse and Egyptian especially), but I can't seem to get him into tabletop gaming.

Didn't know if this was one anyone had heard about. It seems to be a good deal at $40 (as most of the TE games are).

I know some here didn't really enjoy the last few TE iterations (pirates and ??).

Could not find this in a search, either.

Nonny
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really enjoy Tiny Epic Dungeons, their last entry in the franchise. However, the only thing that prevents me from playing it more is that it takes almost as long as a normal sized dungeon crawler to play.

They should release the rules (or a draft of such) on the kickstarter page at some point. I recommend giving it a read to see if it looks like it's up your alley when/if it does show up.
Covfefe!
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hepcat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:17 am I really enjoy Tiny Epic Dungeons, their last entry in the franchise. However, the only thing that prevents me from playing it more is that it takes almost as long as a normal sized dungeon crawler to play.
I just bought Tiny Epic Dungeons at my FLGS a couple days ago for $30. I haven't had a chance to bring it to the table though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grab the Dized app and watch the tutorial as the rule book leaves a lot to be desired. The tutorial in Dized is excellent though.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

I just caught up on my backlog of Kickstarter updates and it looks like Frosthaven slipped again. They are waiting on the final physical proofs to pull trigger on manufacturing. A quick read at the comments (30K now! :shock: ) is that some of the community are less than amused.

Isaac does seem to have mismanaged the schedule. This was supposed to ship end of 2020/early 2021 if memory serves me and he had an update at end of 2021 talking about finalizing the digital proofs. A lot of it is scope creep from my vantage point which could be good - more content. That however means he ran smack dab into the middle of the same problems as everyone else with China lockdowns. That said, it is a big whatever for me considering we still haven't finished Gloomhaven and I have it reserved it for $130. I'm not going to shed too many tears.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Same here. I'm in no rush, because the arrival of Frosthaven will mean my game group plays literally *nothing* else for the next 2 years. That's not hyperbole. With Gloomhaven it took us a year and a half to get through the base game and expansion, and that was meeting weekly and getting two scenarios in a night most nights.

I've enjoyed the break from Gloomhaven because it's given our group a chance to play a wide variety of games every week. As much as I'm looking forward to Frosthaven, it's bittersweet as I know those days are going to be over for a long time. It's also going to mean some campaign games I've really wanted to bring to the table (Vagrantsong, Middara) are never going to get a chance.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:47 am Enlarge Image

Hopefully by the end of the month then (I'm guessing it'll start shipping the week of 5/23)!
Hour of Need shipping notice just received. Expected delivery is Saturday, but that’s my office address so I won’t get it until Monday.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oooh, that's good that it's starting to go out. QML Twitter hasn't announced it - I suspected they wouldn't. It's only about 1200 backers, so hopefully it's all going out now.

Lord help us if we need post-delivery support.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do doubt we’ll ever see any more expansions for this, as well as Altar Quest, Dire Alliance and Brook City. Street Masters is done too, but there’s more content for that than most games already.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's all 100% dead. I don't know anything official, I'm just realistically looking at what happened.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dire Alliance is a David Thomson game too (maker of the fantastic Undaunted series and Pavlov’s House) so I hope he can get a chance to add to it.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I'm just sitting here waiting for news of Dungeon Universalis, which - after all the long wait - is supposed to be with Funagain. They acted like they would start confirming shipping this week, but... well...

Quartermaster is also sending out Burncycle, from Chip Theory Games. I canceled my pledge, but buckled under pressure and preordered it from their webstore. So now I am waiting for all those KS backers to get it, so I can get my copy.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Not going to GenCon this year will save me from the temptation of buying Burn Cycle after seeing a demo and visiting their booth.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:28 pm I'm just sitting here waiting for news of Dungeon Universalis, which - after all the long wait - is supposed to be with Funagain. They acted like they would start confirming shipping this week, but... well...
First time dealing with FunAgain? :D

I would expect DU sometime in July. Maybe.

I had backed Paladin sleeves and they were shipped by FunAgain in early February. UPS lost the package and so exactly 3 weeks after it was shipped I reached out to Paladin to see if they knew something I didn't. After a few days they heard back from FunAgain that UPS lost it and they'd initiate a replacement. All what I expected. Except another month later I still didn't have anything. Paladin contacted FunAgain...again and within 12 hours a replacement was sent.

I get that things are upside down but FA has always been awful.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m also waiting anxiously on Dungeon Universalis, but I’m beginning to fear I may have bitten off more than I can chew with that one. The rule book is 124 pages of dense text…while the basic “starter rules” are half that. This may be a lifestyle choice as much as it is a game. :shock:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If it makes you feel better, I have doubts another version will ever be printed and sent to the United States. So...enjoy your potential heirloom copy?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Reminding me that I mostly collect games these days is not helping. :lol:
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:30 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:26 pm However, I will still buy just about anything Lovecraft related because I'm a moron.
If I have time this weekend, I want to post about Machina Arcana. Maybe even go crazy and post an AAR in a dedicated thread.
I just got an email from the makers of Machina Arcana announcing they're selling off some remaining stock. I was able to get the 3rd edition upgrade pack for my 2nd edition. Of course, shipping cost more than the damn cards themselves, but it is what it is.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nice! I'm back to a little bit of "panic" that some older games are going to start disappearing - things that will never be reprinted or available because of mergers and acquisitions and/or the pandemic making it too expensive.

I was surprised to see QML twitter announcing Hour of Need is officially shipping. I figured for sure they wouldn't want to give them the free advertising.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also added the To Eternity expansion. I figure I may as well end with a bang on MA.

Side note: what the hell does my iPad think of me when it tries to autocorrect “added” to “assed”?
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:39 pm First time dealing with FunAgain? :D

I would expect DU sometime in July. Maybe.

I get that things are upside down but FA has always been awful.
I've heard this, which is why I am not holding my breath. My only hope is that - because there have been SO MANY DELAYS that poor Oscar gets a break and the shipping to US backers goes smoothly. The sad thing is that webstore orders are getting their shipping notices now, while KS backers are sitting and waiting. I was tempted to grab one there too - then sit on whichever copy comes second and sell it when it becomes a collectable grail game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh wow, I didn't realize retail copies were being fulfilled now. My experiences with FA have been great when they need to ship a single box. If there's any type of picking needed - different pledge levels, add ons, etc... it's like they can do 10 a day. For DA I'm guessing it's going to be painfully slow because of the size and number of things that could be involved in any given order.