Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:05 pm I thought it was QML. Their last update says that the shipment is in Indianapolis and I am pretty sure that Funagain is on the West Coast and QML is in Indy.
No, QML is located in Florida. FunAgain is located somewhere in the first circle of Hell.

But seriously. FunAgain ships out of Oregon and Indianapolis.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I actually gave away my copy of the forest of whatever version of hexploreit at gencon earlier this month.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:24 pm I actually gave away my copy of the forest of whatever version of hexploreit at gencon earlier this month.
I ordered the upgraded encounter deck for the Forest version and am eagerly awaiting the campaign book. Word on the street is the campaign book for the original game is really good so I'm hoping they build off that for the Forest game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m just not a fan of the core mechanics. I feel like I have extremely limited options during a fight, so much so that I didn’t even bother erasing my actions from previous fights most of the time. And an upgrade system that consists almost entirely of a card with a giant +1 written on it kind of destroys any sense of growth for my characters.

Of course, this is just my opinion. And I’m a well known moron who owns a copy of The Postman.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I get that it's totally not in everyone's wheelhouse. I happen to like the insane randomness. I also liked that they realized the 3rd one was off the deep end in terms of complexity and mechanics, so they dialed it back considerably for #4.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Yet another board game table.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was really tempted by that one but I really need to pay off my actual necessary furniture before I go buying luxury items (even cheap luxury items). It doesn't look like I'll have any problems with choice when it comes to gaming tables down the road.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, that $400 price tag looks nice, but after shipping and accessories... thats all up. Already at $1k after adding the topper with shipping to the US.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

That is the first gaming table I've seen that at least has an option for a surface larger than 3x5, even if you do need to buy an extra to get it. As someone who already owns a 3x5 gaming table and thinks it is just barely too small for a lot of larger games like Eclipse and TI, that extra would be really nice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As a sometimes miniature gamer, a 5 x 6 table would be fantastic. Most of the miniature games I play are 3 x 3, but that extra space would be very nice to have.
He won. Period.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Just got the update from Roll Camera that the games have arrived in the US:
US / CA - The games are off the boat and will be making their way by rail to Funagain's warehouse this week. You should be getting your game within the month in the US, perhaps slightly longer in Canada - Funagain will be packing up all CA games to send to Pick & Pack Logistics for fulfillment. It was faster and cheaper this way than splitting the shipment at the port.
Oh, it's Funagain. I'm sure everything will be ok....
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Boardgametables.com has variable sizes in their custom range. My game area is 3.25 x 6. Enough space to fit all of Arkham Horror and 3 expansions on the table with room for player boards.

4x6 is hard to reach over. I would have upsized to 3.5x6 to make finding table mats easier. They’re not as fancy as Wyrmwood but it was pretty affordable, and solid.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Uh oh....Praised by David Thompson and David Turczi you say? Plays a bit like an area control version of Robinson Crusoe you say?
From an abandoned mountain fortress you command a group of Norwegian volunteers fighting numerically superior German forces in the early days of WW2.

Halls of Hegra is a solo only game in the same vein as Robinson Crusoe, This war of mine and Dead of winter. The mechanics are worker placement, bag building and area control / tower defense.
I'm going to fold on this, aren't I?

Halls of Hegra, a solo wargame with worker placement, bag draws, and tower defense.

edit: Yup, I folded.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm a day one backer of that; it's like WW2 + Robinson Crusoe. Definitely seems excellent. Apparently on TTS as well if you want to try it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I folded as well. It checks all the boxes for me - pure solo, blended mechanics (all of which I highly enjoy), and it fills a serious gap in my collection (historical war games).

I had originally planned on trying it out on TTS beforehand, but ran out of time. I highly doubt it would have influenced my decision though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Damn the three of you. :tjg:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
RMC

Post by RMC »

Nope, not gonna do it... Nope... And only because I spent way too much on Dark Tower reprint, damn nostolgia.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're too late, anyway. They started talking about it less than 48 hours before it closed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Late pledging opens in September"
RMC

Post by RMC »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:22 pm You're too late, anyway. They started talking about it less than 48 hours before it closed.
As Stalkerish as it sounds, I follow Hepcat on Kickstarter, so I know everything he follows/backs...As our taste in board games is very closely aligned... His collection of Golden Girls Kickstarters I choose to just pretend like they are not happening. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:22 pm You're too late, anyway. They started talking about it less than 48 hours before it closed.
Whew. That was a close one!
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:35 pm
"Late pledging opens in September"
Just don't remind me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RMC wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:20 am
As Stalkerish as it sounds, I follow Hepcat on Kickstarter, so I know everything he follows/backs...As our taste in board games is very closely aligned... His collection of Golden Girls Kickstarters I choose to just pretend like they are not happening. :)
Most of those Kickstarters I had to cancel when I couldn’t get enough backers. :(
He won. Period.
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:28 pm
RMC wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:20 am
Most of those Kickstarters I had to cancel when I couldn’t get enough backers. :(
Lol. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey, those of you that got Dead Reckoning from the Kickstarter, do you remember how the Sea Dogs cards were delivered? Were they in a separate box or just thrown in? I’ve been looking for mine and can’t find them.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Separate box. If I recall correctly, it was not in the main box for the core game. Has a die and instructions on how to use the characters.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Separate box. If I recall correctly, it was not in the main box for the core game. Has a die and instructions on how to use the characters.
Thanks. I vaguely remember. I’ll have to look harder.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For those cracking open their copies of Etherfields, are you using the 1.0 or 2.0 rules? I ask I because both seem to have very vocal supporters on BGG. I started with the 2.0 rules, but ran into a situation with the authorized web app as it’s using the 1.0 rules….which isn’t problematic until your first awakening.

My concern is that 2.0 makes the game too easy. But 1.0 had a LOT of complaints about how slumbers became a boring/frustrating grind after a while.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wait...I thought I read somewhere (it's all blurring together now) that the intention was for players (old and new) to receive the 2.0 materials and to use the app to play the first game - not really expected to read the manual other than the setup. I guess I was under the impression that the app was specifically designed to get you playing and then after the first session, going to the 2.0 manual and reading through would make more sense? You're saying the app is still using 1.0 mechanics?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everything in the First Play section is fine. There are no changes to the core gameplay between 1.0 and 2.0. However, when you hit your first Awakening (which occurs after you start the campaign after finishing the First Play section), it will show you the quite different map tile for 1.0 and you'll have to refer to the updated Dreamworld reference card. Since the first Awakening is also a tutorial for how to play them, I was confused at first by the differences.

I've been quizzing folks on BGG about whether or not I should play 2.0 and it seems some folks feel that 2.0 dumbs the game down and makes it too easy. So I think I'm going to switch to the 1.0 rules.

The good news is that the only real difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 rules is that they removed/greatly reduced Slumber Events. The biggest complaint I read about Etherfields is that the slumbers become a boring grind after a while, and some folks were just skipping them altogether after a point. But others pointed out that the game eventually lets you skip them if you don't want to play them anyway, so there was no need to go back and remove/drastically reduce them.
He won. Period.
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

Hep,

Seems like you jumped from DUN to Etherfields rather quickly. I have them both sitting in shrink, however I was planning on trying out DUN first.

Your opinions on these two bad boys for a campaign?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I spent almost two solid weeks playing DUN, so I don’t think I jumped that quickly. :wink:

Plus, I’m planning to play this weekend with some others in a different campaign than my solo one. Add to that the fact that I spent about 90 bucks on the bestiary cards and the 2nd campaign book, and I think I can safely say I really like it. A lot.

Etherfields I just wanted to try as a palate cleanser, as I have it so why not try it. So far I’m not all that impressed. I hate having to agonize over which damn version of the game I should be playing. I’m going to play a bit more, but in all honestly I’m ready to go back to DUN now. It’s old school dungeon crawling at its finest.
He won. Period.
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:54 pm I spent almost two solid weeks playing DUN, so I don’t think I jumped that quickly. :wink:

Plus, I’m planning to play this weekend with some others in a different campaign than my solo one. Add to that the fact that I spent about 90 bucks on the bestiary cards and the 2nd campaign book, and I think I can safely say I really like it. A lot.
Hep,

Thanks for the insight. From what I understand it will hold five, so it is probably the next game we try to tackle. I did not purchase the cards or extra campaign, but plan to use the DUN Bestiary website for ease of enemy management.

I have been watching some how to play videos on DUN to familiarize myself with the behemoth of a rule set, and just hope I can remember it all!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s surprisingly intuitive. It basically all boils down to situational modifies of + or -1s (the max being 3).

Remember blunders are double 1s during a test roll of 2d6. Double 6s are a critical success. There’s a handy chart in the file section on BGG detailing what happens with critical hits/blunders. I highly recommend printing that out.

The online bestiary site seems to have some issues, I’ve noticed. For example: under the bandit faction, it doesn’t have “shooter”, but rather seems to fold that into “human bandit”. But it should be okay as long as you check against the bestiary book when in doubt.

Are you playing with a human dark player or using the artificial dark player so you can play coop?
He won. Period.
Ertic

Post by Ertic »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:49 am Are you playing with a human dark player or using the artificial dark player so you can play coop?
Planning on going the full Co-op route. Any experience with that mode?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, that's how I've been playing so far. Pay attention to safety zones and large room rules. But if you read through all the ADP stuff, you should be fine.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:48 pm Regarding V-Commandos/Sabotage, shared earlier today:
USA/Canada Update: We had some news from QML today. Their warehouse is very congested currently and a significant portion of the crew called in sick today. They cannot give an ETA for now, but they hope to have better news later this week. Sorry about this delay. We are confident in their efficiency and we know they are doing their best to resolve this situation ASAP.
Update
USA / CANADA UPDATE: the guys at QML update us each week, but they still cannot give an ETA for this project. We are in the queue. Will keep you updated as soon as can give us visibility. Sorry about that.
sigh....
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's a huge project too (the amount of stuff they need to pick and pack) - I'm sure that's not helping. But yeah, having it at QML for almost a month now with no ETA on shipment is crazy. As we head into the silly season, I guess I'll just keep updating my spreadsheet and expecting delays across the boards.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ah well, i got my bestiary cards and 2nd campaign book for Dungeon Universalis a week after ordering them from Spain, so I'm set for now. :D
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:55 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:48 pm Regarding V-Commandos/Sabotage, shared earlier today:
USA/Canada Update: We had some news from QML today. Their warehouse is very congested currently and a significant portion of the crew called in sick today. They cannot give an ETA for now, but they hope to have better news later this week. Sorry about this delay. We are confident in their efficiency and we know they are doing their best to resolve this situation ASAP.
Update
USA / CANADA UPDATE: the guys at QML update us each week, but they still cannot give an ETA for this project. We are in the queue. Will keep you updated as soon as can give us visibility. Sorry about that.
sigh....
The only good news is that in their latest update they mentioned that QML has been paid and they have locked in the addresses so it’s not like another board game publisher that had to do some accounting games to pay QML…

I’m in the middle of playing V Sabotage (core game) and looking forward to getting the Ghost and Secret Weapons expansion along with some pretty tiles. It had been a while since I played it and it’s fun getting back into it. Had some bad run of luck when my scout failed a stealth check and all sorts of chaos broke out. My sapper took over a MG42 nest and cleared out some Germans but eventually he succumbed to his wounds. At that point I thought that it was going to be game over but I think I have a slim chance of pulling off the mission!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?