Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by hepcat »

This was just stuff from their store. I normally use Gamenerdz these days, but I have a gift certificate with them still.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I've seen lots of people reporting issues with store orders. I'd need to check but there was a storefront on Amazon (Global Gaming Warehouse?) that was really MM in disguise. I don't remember what it was I'd ordered but it arrived at my house quick with Prime shipping and it had a MM return label on it. Not sure if that was part of whatever happened with Asmodee but when I'd looked into it, order through that "ghost store" was always cheaper and faster than if I tried to order the exact same thing from MM direct.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:06 pm I've ordered from them twice in the last few months and the stuff arrived within 4 to 5 days each time with the cheapest shipping possible. I'm surprised you're still having issues with them. :?
Anything in the past 4-6 weeks since they started their warehouse move?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yes, three weeks ago.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think if there are any prepainted or Bones minis, they will wait on the order. It’s a shame as they were great for years.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Right up until Asmodee bought them. They're quietly devouring every tabletop company that comes within reach, and every one of them goes downhill afterwards.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:26 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:27 pm As I sit here waiting for my last boardgame kickstarter ever to fulfill. I see I have an email about a new Lords of Vegas kickstarter.

I finally played it for the first time at BGG.CON this month and now I am seriously considering securing a copy with all the upgrades, which would be... expensive. $170 for the game plus expansion and then $100 more for upgrades (skipping the $40 playmat). Then there is shipping...
Using late-2022 rates and assuming a 10% increase in shipping rates in 2023 over 2022, we think that Americana will cost about $25-30 to ship to continental USA addresses and shipping the new 6-player Lords of Vegas base set will cost about $30-40.
That... adds up.

Two days in and it is about two thirds of the way to the goal. I'm still thinking about it. I just had $400 in rewards points drop on my credit card so it would basically be free, right? Right? :geek:
...and kickstarter cancelled at 90% funded with 10 days to go. Apparently they got a lot of feedback about the prices and they are going to figure some stuff out and come back next year.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

According to QML Twitter, Victorum started packing and shipping this morning...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

well...crap. hopefully they don't get to mine until late next week.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:09 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:06 pm I've ordered from them twice in the last few months and the stuff arrived within 4 to 5 days each time with the cheapest shipping possible. I'm surprised you're still having issues with them. :?
There are people in the US that are still waiting for Zombicide Undead or Alive.
Still not so much as a label printed. It feels kind of like mid-December...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:52 pm According to QML Twitter, Victorum started packing and shipping this morning...
I'm hoping to get this one soonish. I am also looking for the Deck of Worlds, which is supposedly halfway through shipping.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:46 pm well...crap. hopefully they don't get to mine until late next week.
I was just mailed tracking info from FedEx for Monday delivery, so...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I'll be here and could go into the office Monday. But if it arrives Tuesday through Monday after that, I will just accept the fact that I was not meant to have it and that it's gone. :(

edit: oh, wait...apparently all i need is the tracking number and I can have it redirected to a nearby depot for pickup. Hopefully that works!

edit2: just got notification it will be here Sunday. Guess I'll be coming into the office Monday for a bit. Better than being all worried I wasn't going to get it while on vacation. Plus, I can take it with me to learn/play while I'm gone.
Covfefe!
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:52 pm According to QML Twitter, Victorum started packing and shipping this morning...
I received a tracking number today from QML. I'd given up hope on playing this during the holidays, but things are looking up! :csmile:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Hep gets his shipping when he didn’t want it and here I am with no tracking number when I did. Boo!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It actually came at the right time. If it had come Sunday or later, I would have been screwed. :D
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I haven't gotten my tracking number either and it's KILLING ME! :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My shipping date just slipped to Monday. If it slips even one more day, I’m back to being screwed. Especially since fedex will only hold the package at a depot for 7 days….one day short of what I would need. :(
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Mine's arriving Sunday! WOOT WOOT!!!! :horse: :horse: :horse:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:41 pm Infernal Machine: Dawn of Submarine Warfare - Status: Not there yet Orders To Date: 491
Infernal Machine: Dawn of Submarine Warfare ... has changed status to: Made the Cut
It's almost as if people are the problem.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote:Mine's arriving Sunday! WOOT WOOT!!!! :horse: :horse: :horse:
I’m still waiting….Image
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just got my box in from the last Blood and Plunder kickstarter. Woof. Man, I have a shit ton of pirates now.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A while back I backed part of season 3 of Gotham City Chronicles by Monolith, mostly for the full solo/coop mode plus updated rulebooks/cards (all of which it badly needed.) They split the Kickstarter, combining the board game update with a full RPG release (a separate, not-really-compatible game.) There were pledges just for the board game update, plus a whole slew that were for different combinations of RPG products. As mentioned, I just backed for the board game updates. They then added just a few stretch goals. I've spent the past half hour going back and forth between comments, descriptions, and the pledge manager trying to figure out who gets the stretch goals. Here's the official blurb, which makes it as clear as a Gotham sky:
Anyone who selected a counterpart containing board game during the Kickstarter campaign OR took a role-playing game counterpart during the Kickstarter campaign that they will complete with a board game counterpart during the Pledge Manager will receive these minis for free.Anyone who did not choose a counterparty during the Kickstarter campaign will still be able to select them in the "Extras" category of the Pledge Manager.
I think that means that the board game backers have to pay extra for the free stretch goals, but I'm not sure. :confusion-seeingstars:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jesus, that’s confusing.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Actually, I now believe it means the opposite - anyone who pledged for the board game, or who pledged for the RPG and adds the board game in the pledge manager gets them for free. People who didn't have a named pledge (IE - the $1 folks) or who are late backers have to pay.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I dared hope that my last board game kickstarter would be delivered today and then I finally looked at the details in the fedex app. I really wish they would maintain estimated delivery dates on labels that were printed but package not given to fedex. I thought Undead or Alive was coming today, but it hasn't even been handed over to fedex yet.

Is it mid-December yet?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For the first time in recorded history (of this thread and its predecessors), I have no outstanding board game kickstarters!

Yeah, Brandon Sanderson owes me four secret novels, so not done with kickstarter altogether and I may be tempted by something in the future... but happy to be off the hamster wheel.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Well....I only have 35 outstanding Kickstarters...this is bad?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

coopasonic wrote:For the first time in recorded history (of this thread and its predecessors), I have no outstanding board game kickstarters!

Yeah, Brandon Sanderson owes me four secret novels, so not done with kickstarter altogether and I may be tempted by something in the future... but happy to be off the hamster wheel.
Safest bet. Sanderson writes like a machine, has done most of the work, and it’s in the finishing process.

I’m regretting going in on Mosaic deluxe, as they were supposed to ship by this week and not just have the pledge manager finally open.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:30 pm
I’m regretting going in on Mosaic deluxe, as they were supposed to ship by this week and not just have the pledge manager finally open.
I played Mosaic (medium deluxe) for the first time about a month ago. My opinion was that it was…. fine. It takes up a ton of space, has a long setup time and is rather fiddly. I do think the game probably is better with the plastic minis, which my version does not have. Without them it is a little hard to read the board state with how cluttered it is.

Overall, I enjoyed it well enough but also don’t have that much desire to jump back into it and feel like the hype it got was a little overblown.

Just my two cents.
Zarathud

Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Zarathud »

I fell for the civilization tableau building. Quackelope and Boardgameco have steered me well so far to vindication, townsfolk tussle, dead reckoning, unsettled, and everdell (and hopefully earth). I figured the deluxe plastic would help get it to the table — as I still like long and fiddly games.

Hepcat and Hentzau still tease me about Wealth of Nations (M.U.L.E. set in the Industrial Revolution, and heavy incremental auctions in the V1.0 rules were later simplified). That was years ago, but it’s still in my Kallax.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

These dice are so luxurious they should be called “ROLLS” Royce.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I can’t wait to roll them in this:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I did chuckle over the fact that the red die is all hits with no other possible outcome. You’d think they would just say “automatic hit” or something for anything that uses the red die.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only time I've found the red die useful is when it's being counted with a bunch of other dice. I had an example the other night where my 1 Red Die guy was rolling 4-5 dice due to bonuses from Inspire and my Hero Prowess. It was easier to just grab them all and roll them than to remember to add the one automatic. I still feel silly when doing it though. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not a platform for KS, but they sure were part of the eco system:

Enlarge Image

While I won't cheer on job losses and untold people that are going to be out of work, I'm also not surprised FunAgain is imploding.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

As a person who considered using them at one point, that is terrifying. Moving inventory around is ludicrously expensive and liable to be damaged during transit. If their clients didn’t know this was happening at least 6 months in advance this is nightmarish.

And on that optimistic note…

Has anyone heard of a little game called Deep Shelf? It’s coming back to Kickstarter in about a week. :wink:

The hot YouTube channel by our own EzeKieL, even did a playthrough video of it.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:29 pm Not a platform for KS, but they sure were part of the eco system:

Enlarge Image

While I won't cheer on job losses and untold people that are going to be out of work, I'm also not surprised FunAgain is imploding.
A lot of Kickstarter project managers are in panic mode right now, and a vast number of projects just got either seriously delayed, or are going to find themselves with major shipping issues when their pre-negotiated deals vanish with products already in production.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

So, how's that Street Masters latest kickstarter update looking?
Where is Street Masters: Has it made it on the boat yet?
As you know, all the items from the campaign have been produced, manufactured, and palletized. They have been ready for pick up at our factory overseas but we have been unsuccessful at arranging freight pick up and a boat schedule.​ Initially it was because of the lack of funds. Now, for very different reasons we have decided to seek another company to handle fulfillment. In the last update, this was our backup plan.
I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd or 4th "backup plan" at this point.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wouldn't expect to see anything from Blacklist Games. Specifically:
Contra
Buddy Cop
Street Masters (reprints; Tide of the Dragon)
Dire Alliance
Lasting Tales + Fantasy Series 2
I think the company is DOA and whatever it is that's been produced and is in China is going to disappear long before they (he?) is able to pay for warehousing and shipping to the United States.