Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:28 pm Holy crap, I can't believe how much DHL and FunAgain are extorting Dungeon Universalis.
88,610€ (about $91,000) have already been spent on the 1,030 shipments to the US and Canada (including "Friendly" fees). Considering that a number of these shipments only included the update pack and the expansions (that is, they didn't include the 9 kilos of core game), this is a really high shipping cost, especially considering that it is ocean freight.
FunAgain (the worst) is now saying it'll ship by the end of July. I'm confident the new KS project they're launching in September is going to have adjusted prices for the NA market and they're going to be significantly higher. I also hope they find someone better to partner with than DHL and FunAgain (the worst).
Looks like some folks are starting to get their shipping notices from Funagain on this.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’m skipping the Kickstarter for the Wyrmwood GM screens. While I would love to get one to match my table, the family is going to WDW in February and that money will buy a few meals for us.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The GM Screens are very tempting but the accessories make it expensive. I don’t have my Hex tiles yet, so I don’t know how the spell trackers will work out. I’m hoping they offer them again, but fear they’ll raise the price. It’s a product I have to see first.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:10 am
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:28 pm Holy crap, I can't believe how much DHL and FunAgain are extorting Dungeon Universalis.
88,610€ (about $91,000) have already been spent on the 1,030 shipments to the US and Canada (including "Friendly" fees). Considering that a number of these shipments only included the update pack and the expansions (that is, they didn't include the 9 kilos of core game), this is a really high shipping cost, especially considering that it is ocean freight.
FunAgain (the worst) is now saying it'll ship by the end of July. I'm confident the new KS project they're launching in September is going to have adjusted prices for the NA market and they're going to be significantly higher. I also hope they find someone better to partner with than DHL and FunAgain (the worst).
Looks like some folks are starting to get their shipping notices from Funagain on this.
HEP! I got my shipping notification (well notification that it is ready to ship).

Also, is it your birthday today?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If past practice with FA follows, it'll be "ready for shipping" for a few weeks (because they printed labels) and it'll actually be mailed in August.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Latest update from Chip Theory is that Hoplomachus Remastered/Victorum are finishing manufacturing and they're anticipating an October release. That's only about a 6-month delay so I'll take it, especially since they locked in shipping rates at the start of the campaign.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:16 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:10 am
HEP! I got my shipping notification (well notification that it is ready to ship).

Also, is it your birthday today?
Yesterday
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

:occasion-birthday:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thank ye, kind sirrah. Now you can just send me your copy of Dungeon Universalis if you get it before me to honor this fine event.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

baelthazar wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:21 pm :occasion-birthday:
:text-+1: :occasion-cake: :occasion-balloons: :music-headbanger:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks!

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:03 pm Latest update from Chip Theory is that Hoplomachus Remastered/Victorum are finishing manufacturing and they're anticipating an October release. That's only about a 6-month delay so I'll take it, especially since they locked in shipping rates at the start of the campaign.
I wonder if they’ll have copies for sale at Gencon? I backed the solo version, but not the remastered edition. I’m going to sell all my previous edition hoplomachus stuff in the Gencon auction.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:I wonder if they’ll have copies for sale at Gencon? I backed the solo version, but not the remastered edition. I’m going to sell all my previous edition hoplomachus stuff in the Gencon auction.
They said they'd only have 10 copies at GenCon, and those were going to the press. So no such luck. I'm still looking forward to seeing the finished product at their booth though.

The big question is whether I can stop myself from buying Burncycle.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:47 pm The big question is whether I can stop myself from buying Burncycle.
Don't. Did you see my write-up in the solo board gamers thread? It's really an excellent game, and there isn't anything comparable.

Hep, I only have a label for DUN so far (and I saw that by logging in to my UPS tracking hub. Chances are, you will get yours before me!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Argh, still waiting on my shipping notification for DUN. There are reports of people already getting their copies.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The random dartboard method of FA fulfillment continues to amaze.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Apparently they've sent out 1 of 3 waves. So hopefully soon. Of course, when I will play it is another question entirely.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:54 pm Argh, still waiting on my shipping notification for DUN. There are reports of people already getting their copies.
Me too, it is in my UPS but still at label and not shipped.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don’t be surprised if it just shows up. Apparently many backers are just getting it without any notification. I’ve had that happen with Funagain in the past.
Covfefe!
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:25 pm Don’t be surprised if it just shows up. Apparently many backers are just getting it without any notification. I’ve had that happen with Funagain in the past.
Agreed. My copy of Marvel Dice Throne arrived today with no notice from Funagain.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:25 pm Don’t be surprised if it just shows up. Apparently many backers are just getting it without any notification. I’ve had that happen with Funagain in the past.
HEP! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! UPS SAYS DUN COMES TOMORROW!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For you. For me, it's still "when Funagain feels like it". :(
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’ll arrive while you’re at GenCon. Route it over to my place just to cover your bases.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You know you want me to pick you up all the Burncycle stuff at the CTG both. Don't fight it. :twisted:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For those interested, Euthia is back

Note it is $184 for a core pledge + shipping (estimated at about $35 for USA, currently). An all-in pledge is over $400.

It's a big-box game and there's an insane amount of content, but clearly things are shifting in the crowd-funding marketplace for these types of projects.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Any thoughts on Euthia? (other than that it sounds too close to urethra).

I've heard its name uttered with no small amount of awe over the years (especially in the solo gamer groups). Just curious if anyone has actually played it. It's a hefty price of admission...even more so if you go all in.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I tried it on TTS a long time ago. I feel like it's a lifestyle game. It is well made but if you are not going to play it multiple times a month with the same people for multiple months I would probably give it a skip in favor of something lighter. It is long and heavy and teaching it to new players is going to be a long process. All that said, if you do have the right group of committed people, or if you plan to play it solo I doubt you will be disappointed.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:45 pm I tried it on TTS a long time ago. I feel like it's a lifestyle game. It is well made but if you are not going to play it multiple times a month with the same people for multiple months I would probably give it a skip in favor of something lighter. It is long and heavy and teaching it to new players is going to be a long process. All that said, if you do have the right group of committed people, or if you plan to play it solo I doubt you will be disappointed.
I'm a co-op, narrative person and this looks to be more competitive with a co-op add-on, which makes it easier to pass.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:45 pm It is long and heavy and teaching it to new players is going to be a long process. All that said, if you do have the right group of committed people, or if you plan to play it solo I doubt you will be disappointed.
Enlarge Image

Speaking of long and heavy... :P

I did get my copy of DUN today! I have no idea if everything is in it or if I got my entire order (because I don't remember what I ordered). I haven't been this intimated since I got my copy of Kingdom Death Monster!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:49 pm I did get my copy of DUN today! I have no idea if everything is in it or if I got my entire order (because I don't remember what I ordered). I haven't been this intimated since I got my copy of Kingdom Death Monster!
Was the box in good shape? There are some people on the KS (and elsewhere online) saying it looks like theirs was punted from the back of the truck - and that the actual packaging was minimal/low quality. I haven't had FA packages show up damaged, but everything that comes from them looks to be the cheapest shipping material possible, so I guess I've been lucky...
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:53 pm Was the box in good shape? There are some people on the KS (and elsewhere online) saying it looks like theirs was punted from the back of the truck - and that the actual packaging was minimal/low quality. I haven't had FA packages show up damaged, but everything that comes from them looks to be the cheapest shipping material possible, so I guess I've been lucky...
It was. But that said, the card was pretty thin. In fact, I put a hairline cut into the box top with the box cutter I used to open the secondary box (the one holding the core box). Not noticeable, but still irritating. That means the cardboard itself was very thin at the top.

I feel lucky, however. It had the potential to be very damaged. The extra books were just sort of in a smaller box, with not a lot of padding.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

...and it just randomly arrived at my house. No shipping notification at all and I'm signed up for UPS notifications. Never change FA, never change.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap what a mess for BLG and the fantasy miniatures this morning. Woke up to read the update requesting more money - which seems sketchy as hell (quite frankly). I don't doubt more money is needed to ship the goods that have been sitting at QML for almost a year, but there's no way I'm giving money to a random GoFundMe account to make it happen.

Which is good because shortly after the GoFundMe campaign was launched, it was pulled for violating the ToS.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:59 am Holy crap what a mess for BLG and the fantasy miniatures this morning. Woke up to read the update requesting more money - which seems sketchy as hell (quite frankly). I don't doubt more money is needed to ship the goods that have been sitting at QML for almost a year, but there's no way I'm giving money to a random GoFundMe account to make it happen.

Which is good because shortly after the GoFundMe campaign was launched, it was pulled for violating the ToS.
Yeah, I was coming to post about this. I've given money to companies for this - the Oathsworn folks needed extra to cover shipping, but they were also willing to take out loans to handle it if people weren't willing. And their "we'll give you more stuff on top of the stuff we haven't delivered yet" feels kind of pyramid scheme-ish. I'm not going to throw good money after bad. Not that I was their target. I only paid for extra Altar Quest figures, but of course we'll never see Altar Quest expansions now and my general enjoyment of the game has kind of been dampened some what. Not logical, but you feel what you feel.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Malificent wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:07 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:59 am Holy crap what a mess for BLG and the fantasy miniatures this morning. Woke up to read the update requesting more money - which seems sketchy as hell (quite frankly). I don't doubt more money is needed to ship the goods that have been sitting at QML for almost a year, but there's no way I'm giving money to a random GoFundMe account to make it happen.

Yeah, I was coming to post about this. I've given money to companies for this - the Oathsworn folks needed extra to cover shipping, but they were also willing to take out loans to handle it if people weren't willing. And their "we'll give you more stuff on top of the stuff we haven't delivered yet" feels kind of pyramid scheme-ish. I'm not going to throw good money after bad. Not that I was their target. I only paid for extra Altar Quest figures, but of course we'll never see Altar Quest expansions now and my general enjoyment of the game has kind of been dampened some what. Not logical, but you feel what you feel.
Oh yeah, I forget to mention that their incentive for most of these extra tiers of donations was not just stuff, but "credit towards a future crowdfunding campaign." Like that will ever come to fruition and even if it somehow did, they're basically digging themselves into debt on THAT one. What a mismanaged pile of crap.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Welp, confirmation that my Lasting Tales pledge is lost. I really regret increasing that to include the FS1 minis (hahahaha). The irony - I pledged Lasting Tales to have minis to use for DUN, which arrived a day before FS1 got the death blow.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:11 pm For those interested, Euthia is back

Oh man, everything about that game looks amazing. I've heard such good things, maybe I'll jump in on this KS.
Note it is $184 for a core pledge + shipping (estimated at about $35 for USA, currently). An all-in pledge is over $400.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I decided against it after I realized just how much it would cost. I'm hoping I can pick games like this up at conventions going forward. Shipping is just making an already expensive hobby even more ridiculous.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, I decided against it after I realized just how much it would cost. I'm hoping I can pick games like this up at conventions going forward. Shipping is just making an already expensive hobby even more ridiculous.
The first time I went to GenCon I spent $80 shipping the stuff I bought back home. :lol: Definitely wish I lived closer.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Update from Dark Venture Battle of the Ancients this morning too, namely he had to find other options for shipping as the current company handling it instituted some type of "campaign fee" that amounted to an additional 20% of the original shipping costs. He didn't (and won't) mention the company, but assuming it's the same one he used for the first campaign, it's QML. Not sure what's happening with that, but it's the first time I've heard a creator mention something about a new fee.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Anyone get this in the first wave? https://www.backerkit.com/c/restoration ... n072622-01

I am considering getting it all for the second printing, as honestly I had this as a kid, and it warms my heart to have it again, lots of memories tied up in this.

Thanks.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat