The 4th Estate Thread Has Surrendered

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:05 am
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:10 pm I wonder if there was any time when Trump called the Democrats fascists and no one blinked?

(spoiler: he did)
This pretty much boils down political discourse in 2022. The amount of people who call people on both sides fascists goes a long way to making the word lose meaning.
That's partially a media driven outcome. The GOP often projects and the media amplifies whatever they say as if the two sides are on equal footing. Yet only one party is actively demonstrating widespread fascist rhetoric and on the ground action right now.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:05 am This pretty much boils down political discourse in 2022. The amount of people who call people on both sides fascists goes a long way to making the word lose meaning.
Well, isn't that the intention for one of the groups? Because I'm pretty sure there are elements in the GOP that are absolutely fascists and other elements that aren't bothered by it. Calling them fascists doesn't negate meaning. But when they casually toss out similar terms in response, it sure does.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:23 am
pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:05 am This pretty much boils down political discourse in 2022. The amount of people who call people on both sides fascists goes a long way to making the word lose meaning.
Well, isn't that the intention for one of the groups? Because I'm pretty sure there are elements in the GOP that are absolutely fascists and other elements that aren't bothered by it. Calling them fascists doesn't negate meaning. But when they casually toss out similar terms in response, it sure does.
Well, yes. Of course.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Totally normal, right?

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:01 am "Non-partisan" seems to be code for pushing things to the right nowadays.
Yup. CNN:
Licht has provided one such avenue over the past several weeks: He has spoken through the firings of on-air talent perceived as providing insufficient deference to the right. Reliable Sources host Brian Stelter, a harsh critic of Fox and former President Donald Trump’s treatment of the mainstream media, lost his job last month. Veteran White House correspondent John Harwood, who had denounced Trump’s attacks on democracy, was shown the door on Friday. In each case, media reporters stressed that the firings were part of what the Washington Post termed Licht’s “strategy shift,” with the chairman purging journalists that were perceived as critics of Trump and his allies “to present a new, more ideologically neutral CNN.”

The message Licht’s firings send to CNN journalists is crystal clear: Too much criticism of the right, which remains united behind Trump and champions the election denial that triggered the January 6 insurrection, may cost you your job
Driven, of course, by greed and monopolization...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh.

ABC, NBC, and CBS are all airing Charles's first speech as king. None of them aired President Biden's primetime speech about the ongoing threats to American democracy.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I mean, it's obviously about money. Pre-empting prime time vs. pre-empting whatever soap operas are still out there.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Meanwhile...

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

CRT Alert !!!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cathode Ray Tube?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Let's pretend that Trump isn't a cancer in the center of a current international incident I'm sure the Royal family wants the funeral of the queen to turn into a Trump 3-ring circus.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"I knew Liz. That's what I called her. She worked for me once. She was a good loyal. She liked me a lot. I made her a popular queen."
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:50 pm "I knew Liz. That's what I called her. She worked for me once. She was a good loyal. She liked me a lot. I made her a popular queen."
I think there should be a moratorium against writing pseudo-Trump quotes when people would be eating dinner.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LOL. Fuck Trump. I guess his 'privately knighted' claims didn't endear him.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:44 pm LOL. Fuck Trump. I guess his 'privately knighted' claims didn't endear him.
I here I was kidding about him publicly making her death about him by making shit up. He just can't help himself and people like that about him. It's Nucking Futz.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I can't stop watching that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:57 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:44 pm LOL. Fuck Trump. I guess his 'privately knighted' claims didn't endear him.
I here I was kidding about him publicly making her death about him by making shit up. He just can't help himself and people like that about him. It's Nucking Futz.
Just in case you weren't being funny and I realize how hard it is to keep Trump's bloviating straight these days, he didn't actually make that comment: Trump did not claim that Queen Elizabeth II knighted him
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yeah, putting the focus on migrants is what they are doing :roll:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/1 ... a-00056870
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What has it been, 72 hours (?) since Lindsey Graham revealed his big federal abortion ban legislation? With the TX and FL stunts, it's already been pushed off to the back burner.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh goodie. Another episode of an elite bottom feeder keeping important information for themselves to profit from a book deal. It's all rot all the time.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel like someone is going to earn a PhD using these examples as to how news media truly is entertainment and some have figured out how to turn it into a genuine commodity.

Or maybe they already did.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Look, I can't stand journalists sitting on information and waiting for personal paydays down the road when they publish their books. It is rotten, and the NYT and others should put a stop to it. Policy should be put in place that makes doing so a clear ethics violation. It's really no different in my mind than insider trading.

That said, the reaction to Haberman's revelation that Trump admitted taking docs that should have been in the archives is ridiculous. From the Axios piece referenced in the Watson tweet above:
The big picture: These are the ones that will get the most attention from the Department of Justice. They're from one of three interviews Trump gave Haberman for the book.

This one was at his club in Bedminster, N.J., on Sept. 16, 2021 — one year ago.

He demurred when I asked if he had taken any documents of note upon departing the White House — "nothing of great urgency, no," he said, before mentioning the letters that Kim Jong-un had sent him, which he had showed off to so many Oval Office visitors that advisers were concerned he was being careless with sensitive material.
"You were able to take those with you?" Haberman asked.

He kept talking, seeming to have registered my surprise, and said, "No, I think that's in the archives, but … Most of it is in the archives, but the Kim Jong-un letters … We have incredible things."
In fact, Trump did not return the letters — which were included in boxes he had brought to Mar-a-Lago — to the National Archives until months later.
In hindsight, it's certainly an interesting exchange and one the Feds will certainly be interested in. But there's no clear admission there. And there's certainly nothing there that hints at the scope of Trump's theft of documents that should be in the archives or that the theft involved classified or secret information or that he would refuse to return the docs at issue and give false statements to the government when it tried to retrieve them.

Honestly . . ."the NYT scandal of our lifetime"? WTF is Tom Watson talking about?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW I don't think this is NYT's biggest scandal. Still it was the best example I could find (at the time I looked) that talked directly about the problem.

In any case, we have to caveat that she isn't a national security lawyer. I'm reasonably sure she didn't understand the ramifications. But the exchange shows she knew he had documents that he shouldn't have. She even discerned his narcissistic intent. The read I have is she clearly heard the correct message - Trump was bragging about all the stuff he wasn't supposed to have. Which again has intersections with how sensitive the data he had was. It's underlines how big a disaster this is from a national security point of view. But I don't think that squarely falls on her shoulders in any way. At best, she could have triggered an earlier investigation.

I think the idea that this is an ethics problem for the newspaper is correct. Can you imagine how the lower-level NYT staff feels seeing this stuff? Everything they do is work product but the best of the best are corruptly keeping pieces for themselves to peddle books? No wonder the insight we keep getting is that the inside of these news organizations is daily internal strife. The top is blatantly corrupt.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:31 am FWIW I don't think this is NYT's biggest scandal. Still it was the best example I could find (at the time I looked) that talked directly about the problem.

In any case, we have to caveat that she isn't a national security lawyer. I'm reasonably sure she didn't understand the ramifications. But the exchange shows she knew he had documents that he shouldn't have. She even discerned his narcissistic intent. The read I have is she clearly heard the correct message - Trump was bragging about all the stuff he wasn't supposed to have. Which again has intersections with how sensitive the data he had was. It's underlines how big a disaster this is from a national security point of view. But I don't think that squarely falls on her shoulders in any way. At best, she could have triggered an earlier investigation.

I think the idea that this is an ethics problem for the newspaper is correct. Can you imagine how the lower-level NYT staff feels seeing this stuff? Everything they do is work product but the best of the best are corruptly keeping pieces for themselves to peddle books? No wonder the insight we keep getting is that the inside of these news organizations is daily internal strife. The top is blatantly corrupt.
I just don’t understand how you get from your first two paragraphs with:
I don't think this is NYT's biggest scandal.

we have to caveat that she isn't a national security lawyer. I'm reasonably sure she didn't understand the ramifications.

I don't think [this] squarely falls on her shoulders in any way. At best, she could have triggered an earlier investigation.
To pivot to your takeaway in your last paragraph that:
The top is blatantly corrupt.
I feel like I’m missing what you’re trying to say here.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

All I'm saying is that she correctly detected that he was doing something he shouldn't have been. And with Trump that usually is crime and she absolutely knows that. She knew she had found something newsworthy or reportable to authorities. She should have said something. Instead it appears that she failed to use her position of privilege to help us. She tucked this story away to help herself. I was also trying to be a little fair and say maybe if she had known how bad it was she would have acted differently.

The last part was just responding to the idea that this is an example of the top-down culture of corruption/lack of ethics at the NY Times. I was saying even the workforce there probably knows it since we keep hearing episodes of warfare inside the paper. The line level sees people like Haberman running around being a corrupt "superstar". It has to be extremely demoralizing.

In any case, the NY Times is an institution with serious problems at this point. They have a lot of great reporters and provide excellent reporting in general but it is beset with serious ethical issues. As an aside, it also seems to have an editorial voice that causes episodes of self-parody on almost an daily basis that is sapping confidence in their viewpoint. There isn't a smoking gun to tie it to corruption at the top but I suspect it. This probably part and parcel due to access journalism concerns. Which also is another pretty big flaw with Haberman IMO. Lest anyone think this is a sexism thing I think Peter Baker has many of the same problems. It is part of the 'star reporter' culture at the big papers.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A real shame and a strike against the Washington Post. He is a vital voice who has done amazing work documenting police and civil liberty abuses. That's probably why he is being let go. The big papers aren't primarily in the business of informing us anymore. They are dumping quality for clicks.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Nice job Newsweek - I see you've evolved into your final form - catering to MAGA incels.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Newsweek is equivalent to the Daily Mail or the New York Post or Fox News -- not to be trusted.

The spirit of Newsweek was absorbed by the Daily Beast in 2010.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:39 pm Newsweek is equivalent to the Daily Mail or the New York Post or Fox News -- not to be trusted.

The spirit of Newsweek was absorbed by the Daily Beast in 2010.
Just to underline this - their opinion editor spouting suspiciously Putin aligned talking points.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In some ways Newsweek is a case study in how long the right wing can trade on a nonpartisan media source's good name long after they take it over.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

FBI Raids ABC News Producer

Great long story but the TLDR; is the guy seemingly has vanished and now his house has been raided by the FBI. He withdrew from work and a another working relationship earlier this year. The article makes what might be an error assuming the target of the investigation is Meek himself and not the source of a classified document he potentially had.
AT A MINUTE before 5 a.m. on April 27, ABC News’ James Gordon Meek fired off a tweet with a single word: “FACTS.”

The network’s national-security investigative producer was responding to former CIA agent Marc Polymeropoulos’ take that the Ukrainian military — with assistance from the U.S. — was thriving against Russian forces. Polymeropoulos’ tweet — filled with acronyms indecipherable to the layperson, like “TTPs,” “UW,” and “EW” — was itself a reply to a missive from Washington Post Pentagon reporter Dan Lamothe, who noted the wealth of information the U.S. military had gathered about Russian ops by observing their combat strategy in real time. The interchange illustrated the interplay between the national-security community and those who cover it. And no one straddled both worlds quite like Meek, an Emmy-winning deep-dive journalist who also was a former senior counterterrorism adviser and investigator for the House Homeland Security Committee. To his detractors within ABC, Meek was something of a “military fanboy.” But his track record of exclusives was undeniable, breaking the news of foiled terrorist plots in New York City and the Army’s coverup of the fratricidal death of Pfc. Dave Sharrett II in Iraq, a bombshell that earned Meek a face-to-face meeting with President Obama. With nine years at ABC under his belt, a buzzy Hulu documentary poised for Emmy attention, and an upcoming book on the military’s chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan, the 52-year-old bear of a man seemed to be at the height of his powers and the pinnacle of his profession.

Multiple sources familiar with the matter say Meek was the target of an FBI raid at the Siena Park apartments, where he had been living on the top floor for more than a decade. An FBI representative told Rolling Stone its agents were present on the morning of April 27 “at the 2300 block of Columbia Pike, Arlington, Virginia, conducting court-authorized law-enforcement activity. The FBI cannot comment further due to an ongoing investigation.”

Meek has been charged with no crime. But independent observers believe the raid is among the first — and quite possibly, the first — to be carried out on a journalist by the Biden administration. A federal magistrate judge in the Virginia Eastern District Court signed off on the search warrant the day before the raid. If the raid was for Meek’s records, U.S. Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco would have had to give her blessing; a new policy enacted last year prohibits federal prosecutors from seizing journalists’ documents. Any exception requires the deputy AG’s approval. (Gabe Rottman at the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press says, “To my knowledge, there hasn’t been a case [since January 2021].”)

In the raid’s aftermath, Meek has made himself scarce. None of his Siena Park neighbors with whom Rolling Stone spoke have seen him since, with his apartment appearing to be vacant. Siena Park management declined to confirm that their longtime tenant was gone, citing “privacy policies.” Similarly, several ABC News colleagues — who are accustomed to unraveling mysteries and cracking investigative stories — tell Rolling Stone that they have no idea what happened to Meek.

Sources familiar with the matter say federal agents allegedly found classified information on Meek’s laptop during their raid. One investigative journalist who worked with Meek says it would be highly unusual for a reporter or producer to keep any classified information on a computer.

“Mr. Meek is unaware of what allegations anonymous sources are making about his possession of classified documents,” his lawyer, Eugene Gorokhov, said in a statement. “If such documents exist, as claimed, this would be within the scope of his long career as an investigative journalist covering government wrongdoing. The allegations in your inquiry are troubling for a different reason: they appear to come from a source inside the government. It is highly inappropriate, and illegal, for individuals in the government to leak information about an ongoing investigation. We hope that the DOJ [Department of Justice] promptly investigates the source of this leak.”

Both the Obama and Trump administrations were criticized for targeting journalists and their sources. Obama’s Justice Department brought charges under the Espionage Act against a record number of people, from top generals like David Petraeus and James Cartwright to document leakers like Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden. Yahoo News reported last year that in 2017, under Trump, as many as 20 U.S.-based journalists, including a Pulitzer Prize-winning Associated Press reporter, were being tracked by a special Customs and Border Protection unit. But the Biden administration set out to reverse that trend. Biden called the practice of obtaining journalists’ phone records and emails “wrong,” and in July 2021, Attorney General Merrick Garland enacted a new policy that bars federal prosecutors from seizing journalists’ records in leak investigations, with some exceptions, including if reporters are suspected of working for agents of a foreign power or terrorist organizations, as well as situations involving imminent risks such as kidnappings or crimes against children. A Department of Justice press release at the time added, “To further protect members of the news media in a manner that will be enduring, [Garland] asked the Deputy Attorney General to undertake a review process to further explain, develop, and codify the policy announced today into Department regulations.” Given the new policy, the question looms on what grounds the feds would have had room to act on Meek.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I gotta say the words to information ratio in that article is way off. We know that the FBI raided Meek, that there's some investigation involving him...and that's about it.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:01 pm I gotta say the words to information ratio in that article is way off. We know that the FBI raided Meek, that there's some investigation involving him...and that's about it.
Sorta. That's the boil down from the national security point of view but there are two stories here. Why did the FBI raid his apartment and what is going on with him in general.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:03 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:01 pm I gotta say the words to information ratio in that article is way off. We know that the FBI raided Meek, that there's some investigation involving him...and that's about it.
Sorta. That's the boil down from the national security point of view but there are two stories here. Why did the FBI raid his apartment and what is going on with him in general.
Yeah, I mean those are the central issues, which we know almost nothing about. It's significant that the FBI raided a prominent journalist, of course, but it's a very different story if they raided him because he was about to reveal something embarrassing to someone in the national security apparatus, vs. if they raided him because he assaulted his girlfriend or something. So something of a story TBD.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

At the very least his attorney said he is fine but laying low. That seems smart and eliminates the ominous in a black site fears some people unwisely had.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:28 pm At the very least his attorney said he is fine but laying low. That seems smart and eliminates the ominous in a black site fears some people unwisely had.
Per Mr Fed, it's the smart thing to do:

The FBI raids a dude's house, and the guy quits his job, doesn't talk to anyone, and goes to the mattresses. Everyone's freaked out because now we expect him to have a press conference and go on cable news to talk about his case. HE'S DOING THE RIGHT THING YOU IDIOTS
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Great piece by Will Bunch at the Philladephia Inquirer clearly laying out the case that the major outlets are once again failing us. I almost went on a rant about this yesterday when the NY Times played it all too safe and prioritized Musk, inflation, and Rishi Sunak above a likely attempted attack against the Speaker of the House . I was happy to see someone else who saw that and is talking about this.

malchior

Post by malchior »

It's almost like the media is manipulating us. What irked me a little thoug is he focuses on Fox when the other outlets also followed along. His own paper is doing the same.

Anyway, this could be the impact of overly consolidated media during elections but that's more working theory than proved out in any way. However, this is what I mean when I complain about the media megaphoning right-wing messaging.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Once again the Democrats should be hammering the crime of home invasion against a sitting Speaker of the House. Somebody, anybody?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter