For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:58 pm
malchior wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:51 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:59 amYup. The more trump is front and center, the more everyone but his base hates him.
Respectfully how is anyone going to learn anything new about Trump now? All I see is people making excuses for the media falling to further lows for clicks. Just like in 2016. I get why because people don't want to face how bad the situation is but that doesn't mean it is not happening. I fear in a year after the media has normalized some of his aberrant behaviors we'll be wondering how he is a contender.
I'm not really commenting on the ethics of CNN hosting a town hall, nor defending their decision to do it. I'm more just saying that I think in general more direct exposure of Trump to the public tends to hurt Trump rather than help him.
There isn't really any evidence of this. It is frankly a hope. His unfavorable ratings are probably at the ceiling and we're well into diminishing returns here on moving broad support.

However, what we do have evidence for is that support amongst the Republican base is growing. We are seeing more and more support amongst even recalcitrant Republicans abandoning DeSantis and others. Some of it is probably the deplorables rallying around the cult leader but the press is helping shore up Trump's support with the base. I don't know if that matters all that much since it seems super unlikely he won't get the nomination right now. They'll be tuning in and if/when the ratings are good he'll be back in business with the fickle press.

Edit: The sin is that they are already starting to treat him like a normal candidate. We're hearing talk that - he's the frontrunner so people need to hear his views. No they don't. He is a goddamn criminal who tried to commit a coup. We shouldn't even hint that we need to give him coverage. If he wants to speak he can figure out a venue. The networks don't need to provide him free airtime again. They have no obligation to do so and again I don't believe it is in the public interest.
If I was running Trump's campaign I wouldn't let him talk to any outlet that wasn't known to be friendly & cooperative.
I mean that's generally the advice you give a candidate anyway. They only engage with non-friendly press if there is a clear reason. What is happening here is that CNN has made a series of missteps and their ratings have crashed. This is a cynical ratings based business decision that doesn't do anything for the public. If it's true they struck some bargain with Trump then it is all the more wrong.
No evidence? His poll numbers reliably dropped after debates (which is why I would be shocked if he debates in 2024). A lot depends on how it's done, of course.

But at the end of the day I'm for whatever approach is worse for Trump.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:31 pmNo evidence? His poll numbers reliably dropped after debates (which is why I would be shocked if he debates in 2024). A lot depends on how it's done, of course.
Sure but that was a long time ago now. Since then we have lots of evidence that even the indictments haven't moved his unfavorable ratings and polling much. He faces an uphill climb for sure but the extreme risk he poses makes me wary of anything that helps him. Anything with a chance at all.
But at the end of the day I'm for whatever approach is worse for Trump.
Exactly and I just don't see the benefit of free coverage hosted by Kaitlin Collins with Trump fielding softball questions from only GOP voters. Maybe she is going to keep it honest but I doubt it. And it's no mystery why Collins was picked. She came out of right-wing media. She worked at Carlson's Daily Caller for years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is why Tucker Carlson was fired:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/02/busi ... ticleShare
Tucker Carlson January 7, 2021 — 04:18:04 PM UTC
A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living shit out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

A lawyer has given him advice on how to create evidence of his plausible belief in this bullshit, when we actually know he thinks it's all bullshit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:47 pm This is why Tucker Carlson was fired:

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching video of people fighting on the street in Washington. A group of Trump guys surrounded an Antifa kid and started pounding the living shit out of him. It was three against one, at least. Jumping a guy like that is dishonorable obviously. It’s not how white men fight. Yet suddenly I found myself rooting for the mob against the man, hoping they’d hit him harder, kill him. I really wanted them to hurt the kid. I could taste it. Then somewhere deep in my brain, an alarm went off: this isn’t good for me. I’m becoming something I don’t want to be. The Antifa creep is a human being. Much as I despise what he says and does, much as I’m sure I’d hate him personally if I knew him, I shouldn’t gloat over his suffering. I should be bothered by it. I should remember that somewhere somebody probably loves this kid, and would be crushed if he was killed. If I don’t care about those things, if I reduce people to their politics, how am I better than he is?
No one should believe this heaping serving of bullshit. He said much worse than this on the air day after day for years. The credulous rubes at the NY Times bit on Rupert Murdoch's paper trail.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:38 pm

No one should believe this heaping serving of bullshit. He said much worse than this on the air day after day for years. The credulous rubes at the NY Times bit on Rupert Murdoch's paper trail.
Can you explain what you mean by "Murdoch's paper trail."? Why is this in Murdoch's best interest? Because of the shareholder suit? Not sure how this plays.

Beside that, this message from Carlson is just . . . weird. It's both terribly and casually racist, while at the same time actually painting Carlson as being at least a little bit introspective and even showing some compassion. It doesn't make me hate him any less, but it isn't something I would have expected he would have written in a private exchange with his producer. Strange.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s Tucker trying to rehabilitate himself as something other than deplorable. Or parody.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:48 pmCan you explain what you mean by "Murdoch's paper trail."? Why is this in Murdoch's best interest? Because of the shareholder suit? Not sure how this plays.
It's implausible this was anything other than Murdoch firing him. They almost certainly wrapped his decision to fire him in some investigation that needed to be predicated on some trigger, so voila perhaps it was this text. Again look at that text and then think about the years of white replacement theory and other racist things he said on air. How is this one worse? This rationale is laughably thin. Also we have to keep in mind this is the 2nd3rd "theory" about why he was fired. The 1st2nd was that Lachlan and Suzanne Scott decided to fire him based on some of the damaging information gleaned in the Dominion discovery. That one didn't get anyone to bite so now they float out the "real" explanation. It was the BOARD! As if Rupert Murdoch isn't the Chairman of it.

Edit: I forgot that the 1st one that was reported out shortly after the firing was in the LA Times and claimed Rupert Murdoch fired him. Isn't it weird how the most likely story came out first and now multiple clean up stories to distance him have emerged since?

Anyway he had many reasons to do it . Perhaps he was worried about the legal risk or the time was right to try to get away from MAGA or Carlson was insufficiently loyal. But all of this noise is for many reasons designed to make it look like Murdoch wasn't 100% in control. He was just part of a diffuse *very responsible* group. Again probably because Rupert Murdoch ordered a smoke screen.
Beside that, this message from Carlson is just . . . weird. It's both terribly and casually racist, while at the same time actually painting Carlson as being at least a little bit introspective and even showing some compassion. It doesn't make me hate him any less, but it isn't something I would have expected he would have written in a private exchange with his producer. Strange.
It is strange but also paper thin at the same time.
Last edited by malchior on Wed May 03, 2023 7:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I absolutely agree with what he's written. Why would I believe his sincerity?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fox is going to keep leaking damaging stuff on Carlson as time goes by. I hope Tucker does the same against Fox. I like watching two assholes beat on each other.
He won. Period.
malchior

Post by malchior »

David Kurtz at TPM expresses similar...disbelief in the reductive storyline that is being peddled and has some good points.
To be fair, the NYT story couches the text not as a smoking gun per se, but reports that it “contributed to a chain of events that ultimately led to Mr. Carlson’s firing.” That leaves a fair bit for interpretation of how much the text contributed and what other things also contributed to the firing.
We’re not in a position to know, with so many of the Carlson internal communications either still private or redacted in court documents, what combination of revelations or notifications to the board prompted it to act finally. But it’s simply way too credulous to pretend this text somehow represents a greater display of racism from Carlson than he displayed on air in front of million of viewers night after night for years, in plain view of the Fox board.
Though I keep wondering why everyone keeps talking about the Fox board in this abstract way that seems to minimize that Rupert Murdoch has something like ~40% of the votes on the board.

Also this - glad I'm seeing some folks displaying a hint of critical thinking out there because it still smells to high heaven like bullshit to me.

Last edited by malchior on Wed May 03, 2023 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:48 pm Beside that, this message from Carlson is just . . . weird. It's both terribly and casually racist, while at the same time actually painting Carlson as being at least a little bit introspective and even showing some compassion. It doesn't make me hate him any less, but it isn't something I would have expected he would have written in a private exchange with his producer. Strange.
It gives him credibility when the question is asked "Did Tucker actually believe this stuff, or was he lying and tricking other people into believing things he didn't believe?"

Maybe I'm being silly or naive about it, but it is so weird that it just smells like 'planted evidence', and what I'm saying is that Tucker wanted that text out there, for cover.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It might be but we also have NO CONTEXT about what the conversation was about. The text alone is strange but maybe it wasn't strange in context of a larger conversation. FWIW I don't think he was seeding doubt into his conversations to protect against future lawsuits/discovery. Mostly because people didn't think these types of communication persist. You send them and they essentially only live on each others' phones. I don't think the risk of exposure of communications has been truly reckoned with until recently. It may very well drive people into more secure forms of communication where communications are more ephemeral.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:06 am David Kurtz at TPM expresses similar...disbelief in the reductive storyline that is being peddled and has some good points.
To be fair, the NYT story couches the text not as a smoking gun per se, but reports that it “contributed to a chain of events that ultimately led to Mr. Carlson’s firing.” That leaves a fair bit for interpretation of how much the text contributed and what other things also contributed to the firing.
We’re not in a position to know, with so many of the Carlson internal communications either still private or redacted in court documents, what combination of revelations or notifications to the board prompted it to act finally. But it’s simply way too credulous to pretend this text somehow represents a greater display of racism from Carlson than he displayed on air in front of million of viewers night after night for years, in plain view of the Fox board.
Though I keep wondering why everyone keeps talking about the Fox board in this abstract way that seems to minimize that Rupert Murdoch has something like ~40% of the votes on the board.

Also this - glad I'm seeing some folks displaying a hint of critical thinking out there because it still smells to high heaven like bullshit to me.

This reminds me of every white collar case I've investigated. When something goes wrong they settle on one or two general cover stories. Beyond that the story becomes every item was thoroughly discussed by a group of executives, the group collectively made the relevant appropriate decisions, no one person was critical in that decision, and no one can remember the exact details of what was discussed at the key meetings.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I forgot to mention my favorite part - the mentions of alarm or panic. LOL. They saw his texts and finally were like - THIS GUY IS AN UNHINGED RACIST **** SOUND THE ALERT ***. Come on.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

malchior wrote:

This was my initial thought when reading it last night. There’s just no way THIS is the reason.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:43 am Fox is going to keep leaking damaging stuff on Carlson as time goes by. I hope Tucker does the same against Fox. I like watching two assholes beat on each other.
The unhinged masses are attacking Fox and swearing undying loyalty to Tucker. On the one hand, great. On the other, what a fucking world.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:39 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:43 am Fox is going to keep leaking damaging stuff on Carlson as time goes by. I hope Tucker does the same against Fox. I like watching two assholes beat on each other.
The unhinged masses are attacking Fox and swearing undying loyalty to Tucker. On the one hand, great. On the other, what a fucking world.
FOX made too big of a monster and tried to just abandon it way way too late.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We still don't have any sense of the actual reason for Tucker's firing. Meanwhile (as discussed above), all of the official reasons are tepid nonsense.

Both Fox and Tucker are entirely committed to the racist/reactionary/revanchist ideology of which Tucker was only the most visible proponent. Most of the other continuing Fox personalities are just as bad or worse.

The most likely explanation is some kind of internal struggle over finances or creative control. Maybe Tucker demanded a 100% raise or offended too many back-room backers on entirely personal grounds. For whatever reason, taking him down and trashing his reputation (in media terms, not moral ones) came to make more sense than letting him continue. And of course it's useful for the very powerful to remind even their most visible spokespeople that they can be discarded.

Whatever the reason, we can be confident that Tucker wasn't punished for the reasons most of us believe he should be punished.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

But Tucker kept pushing for Tump, and it seems as though FOX has tried to push for DeSantis over Trump. I feel like somewhere in all of that lies the break.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

They fired him for this after all the other stuff he has done?

Cmon the man racked up countless controversial racist pieces ON AIR. Denied a riot at the capital ON AIR. Called Putin a hero. He said things they would get you fired or disciplined on the spot at any other network. ask Don Lemon.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:55 pm But Tucker kept pushing for Tump, and it seems as though FOX has tried to push for DeSantis over Trump. I feel like somewhere in all of that lies the break.
Has Fox continued promoting DeSantis since firing Tucker? Puddingfingers was already falling well behind before Tucker was let go.

I don't watch Fox, but my sense is that they're hedging their bets and still willing to go with Trump if he's the obvious front runner. Surely DeSantis would be too risky a bet for Fox to eliminate its star anchor over.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah... They may have 'gone for it' (re: DeSantis a month ago), seen it not develop, and are now holding in a 'stay on the fence' position... but that whole time Tucker never went along with it.

Holman wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:11 pm Surely DeSantis would be too risky a bet for Fox to eliminate its star anchor over.
Or had they already played too many cards, and Tucker stood to win too much if Trump ended up being the whole store a year from now? Combined with the whole 'cunt' thing, etc (of course)... Tucker was seen not as an 'outgrew his britches' nor 'was just too racist' - but literally looked like he may ultimately start to command too much control.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:55 pm But Tucker kept pushing for Tump, and it seems as though FOX has tried to push for DeSantis over Trump. I feel like somewhere in all of that lies the break.
Which is odd, since he admitted hating Trump.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:24 pm
Which is odd, since he admitted hating Trump.
It's totally weird. He also interviewed Trump and Trump still gives him praises - as if those texts were not part of historical fact.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everyone is familiar with biological parasites - an organism that lives off of another organism. Sometimes in harmless fashion, but often in ways that cause problems for the host.

But some organisms are parasites of parasites - like some wasp species.

In simpler terms, if you can imagine a tick feeding off a leech, that pretty much describes what is happening with TFG and Tucker.
So nat'ralists observe, a flea
Hath smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller fleas to bite 'em.
And so proceeds ad infinitum.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's parasites all the way down.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently if a 24-year old white marine chokes a 30-year old black homeless man to death on the F train the NY Times will go all passive voice like it is a police killing.

Edit: Follow up story came out late last night after the killing has been classified as a homicide by the coroner. Just a hunch here but I very much doubt a black man choking a white man to death on the F train would have led to such deference by the NYPD. Instead he is being treated like a police officer - by both the actual police and the paper.
The death of a New York City subway rider who was placed in a chokehold by another passenger on Monday was ruled a homicide, the city’s medical examiner confirmed on Wednesday evening.

The man who died, Jordan Neely, was homeless and had been screaming at passengers when the other rider wrapped his arms around Mr. Neely’s neck and head and held him for several minutes until he went limp. Mr. Neely died from compression to his neck as a result of the chokehold, according to Julie Bolcer, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner.

“This investigation is being handled by senior, experienced prosecutors and we will provide an update when there is additional public information to share,” he added.

On Monday, a man who was riding in the same subway car went up to Mr. Neely, a 30-year-old Michael Jackson impersonator who was yelling that he was hungry and ready to die. The 24-year-old man who choked Mr. Neely has not been identified.
malchior

Post by malchior »

As an aside, the comments on Twitter and the NY Times article make me sad for our nation. We're a savage, cruel and maybe even evil people. The number of people commenting that they are sick of homeless people or making excuses for a vigilante killing a man on the subway because he was *yelling* makes me all the more sad for this blasted hellscape of a land. I've been there before. It's uncomfortable but I never once thought -- hmm time to go all Batman on him.

A sampling of the "Most Recommended" comments - more like Most Morally Repulsive but this is who we are. It literally is dozens and dozens of post excusing the killing. Utterly repulsive.
Police were no where to be found and the guy was saying some threatening things in a closed subway car. Given the level of violence in the country, it is reasonable to take threats seriously. We need to find out more facts but the knee jerk reaction by the left and AOC to call this murder is really disappointing. It’s easy to second guess people from the comfort at home but the people in the situation had to deal with a threatening person with apparently no police around for 15 minutes.

Why must we all sit still in fear avert our eyes and hold our breath trapped in a subway car with ranting mentally ill riders? The fact that they are homeless has nothing to do with it. The fact that one of us may be injured or killed by that person is reason enough to try to protect ourselves until those doors open and we can escape. Who is advocating for our right to live free from the fear many of us feel when yet another ranting raving lunatic uses us as their captive audience? “Stand clear of the closing doors,” has taken on a whole new meaning. Offer the offender some water?! Offer the rest of us a Xanax.
If you scream at people in a confined space that you're "ready to die" someone better stop you from doing whatever comes next, or the headline will be that some crazy person slashed several people to death, or pulled out a gun and shot people. It's amazing anyone was brave enough to put a stop to the threatening behavior. This is far different than recent cases where someone innocently rang a doorbell, or turned around in a driveway, or chased a ball into a yard. Crazy people are inherently unpredictable and it isn't reasonable to expect people to just wait and see, and hope for the best.
The man apparently had 40 prior arrests for harassment and assault. Of course everyone else is to be blamed but him.
New York City and the legal system has to stop coddling violent, disruptive, drug addicts.

It is sad that the homeless man died, but his statement that he was prepared to do something and serve life in prison in jail would be interpreted by many as a threat to commit a very serious crime such as murder.

The people who was restrained this Troublemaker were heroes, not criminals.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:12 am Follow up story came out late last night after the killing has been classified as a homicide by the coroner.
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:28 pm A reminder: there are only a few categories that a coroner's finding falls into:
  • natural
  • accident
  • suicide
  • homicide
  • undetermined
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I used to take thr train everywhere. Now I avoid it whenever I can. I hate taking my kids on there. Smells like piss and pot and beer. Even the once pristine Purple line is a mess.

I can't remember the number of times in the past few years, even with my limited ridership, that I've had to go back to the wall and condition orange because someone is screaming and carrying on. I can't imagine the constant stress for someone who has to ride daily.

None of thst is intended to justify choking someone out or anything remotely similar. It's just that public transit fast is becoming a hostile environment.

Neely was failed over and over again by all the social safety nets. Unfortunately the final failing led to his death.

As for the guy who killed him, very bad decision making there. Even if he's not charged this is going to suck for him.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:52 pm I used to take thr train everywhere. Now I avoid it whenever I can. I hate taking my kids on there. Smells like piss and pot and beer. Even the once pristine Purple line is a mess.

I can't remember the number of times in the past few years, even with my limited ridership, that I've had to go back to the wall and condition orange because someone is screaming and carrying on. I can't imagine the constant stress for someone who has to ride daily.

None of thst is intended to justify choking someone out or anything remotely similar. It's just that public transit fast is becoming a hostile environment.

Neely was failed over and over again by all the social safety nets. Unfortunately the final failing led to his death.

As for the guy who killed him, very bad decision making there. Even if he's not charged this is going to suck for him.
Seems to that being public is becoming a hostile environment on an increasing basis. Driving is becoming more and more crazy as more and more people seem to be becoming more and more self absorbed which is not a good combo with driving. Be held in a can with tons of increasing hostile strangers with no escape? None for me, thanks, I'm driving. Or I will be again, when the doctor says I can, after being hit by a self absorbed driver...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If the guy was screaming that he was preparing to do something that would land him in jail, I can’t fault someone for taking action TBH.

But I wasn’t there, just based on what I read.

Honestly a bit shocked that the outcome wasn’t ‘and a rider put a cap in his ass’.

Not a lot of great options for the riders TBH. If I was in that car with my kids and someone started making those specific threats? I guess ‘get off at next stop’ is obvious choice, but still. If you felt the guy was just about to do something dangerous and the next stop was several minutes away?

Tough call.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:07 pmNot a lot of great options for the riders TBH. If I was in that car with my kids and someone started making those specific threats? I guess ‘get off at next stop’ is obvious choice, but still. If you felt the guy was just about to do something dangerous and the next stop was several minutes away?

Tough call.
Doing something pre-emptive? That's a tough call. Choking him for 3 minutes. Not a tough call. Not a reasonable response and I can't say it isn't disappointing to constantly see people justifying it based on hypotheticals. They interviewed riders. They said he was begging for food and sounded desperate but hadn't become violent. The violence was initiated on him and it ended in his death. I just can't square the threat to the response to the outcome -- death. It was essentially the outcome of the fear that Americans see in every interaction. To me this is just another indicator that our society is deeply sick.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:16 pm It's parasites all the way down.
Oh, and they are expanding...
Artificial intelligence tools are now being used to populate so-called content farms, referring to low-quality websites around the world that churn out vast amounts of clickbait articles to optimize advertising revenue, NewsGuard found.

In April 2023, NewsGuard identified 49 websites spanning seven languages — Chinese, Czech, English, French, Portuguese, Tagalog, and Thai — that appear to be entirely or mostly generated by artificial intelligence language models designed to mimic human communication — here in the form of what appear to be typical news websites.

The websites, which often fail to disclose ownership or control, produce a high volume of content related to a variety of topics, including politics, health, entertainment, finance, and technology. Some publish hundreds of articles a day. Some of the content advances false narratives. Nearly all of the content features bland language and repetitive phrases, hallmarks of artificial intelligence.

Many of the sites are saturated with advertisements, indicating that they were likely designed to generate revenue from programmatic ads
Need a spam filter for news...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Elie Mystal
Me: I live in a world where people think we should kill other people who annoy us

Hobbes: On no. Sounds like you live in the State of Nature. The solution to that is authoritarianism.

Me: You say that, but in my world the authoritarians ALSO support vigilante justice

Hobbes: Wut?

Me: Yeah dude. They support a monopoly of force not from the state, but from any white individual who is afraid.

Hobbes: So the Leviathans of your time are not just petty and stupid, but also racist? Man, I didn't see that coming.

Me: Yeah. That's why you've always been wrong.

Hobbes: I'm not wrong.

Rawls: Really Thom? Riddle me this, from behind the veil of ignorance, would you choose to be black and poor?

Hobbes: Fuck you, John. I'm not playing your stupid game.

Plato: You just need a better ruling class.

Me: Eric Adams is our mayor

Plato: fuuuck

Jefferson: Consider a bourgeoise Republic where men of wealth and status can decide for themselves who is to be murdered on community transportation?

Me: It's not really working out.

Jefferson: Oh look, the slave can type. How novel! Can you also sing and make me a sanwich?

Marx: You know what the solution is.

Me: Leave me alone, Karl.

Marx: Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Me: I don't think trading white supremacists for a ruling group think politburo is helpful

Marx: Hey, that wasn't me, it was the other guy.

Lenin: Hello fellow kids.

Nietzsche: I have thoughts...

Me: No.

Nietzsche: It's really simple.

Me: Dear God, please shut up.

Nietzsche: YOU COULD ACT, LIKE A MAN!!!

Me: Motherfucker, this is how people get syphilis.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Now, back to the Fourth Estate:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Good but scary. It suggests to me that 30% will follow Tucker or find another rat bastard and that Fox will want that viewership back and will do what it takes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:55 am Good but scary. It suggests to me that 30% will follow Tucker or find another rat bastard and that Fox will want that viewership back and will do what it takes.
I'd suggest the other 70% don't have anything else to watch and it's not like Fox became wholesome entertainment.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Really horrible people really like their echo chambers.