Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire [Figstarter]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire [Figstarter]

Post by Jag »

Here's a good video by Scott Lufkin on the UI using his Beastmaster named Marc Singer (Ranger/Druid build)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It's almost time...

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I'm finishing D:OS II (just reached Arx) so not sure it will quite be wrapped before this one comes out. Hope it makes use of my save games ... so I can remember what the heck I did. :)
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:05 am It's almost time...

And don't forget that you can preload the game now. (16.9 GB worth of data!) I forgot about that until today. Very excited to sail the seas and causing all sorts of mayhem and hopefully meeting up with old (virtual) friends in the game.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I uh, still have to replay the first one to finish up the expansions.

I might have to swallow my pride and not do "maximum total party kill every battle mode", though.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Glad to see this is planned for the consoles this year. I'm working my way through the first PoE on the PS4 now and they did a great job of modifying the controls for the console.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Pre-load is up. Can't wait.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jag wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:35 pm Pre-load is up. Can't wait.
Agreed! Also, I love 2018. 16.9 GB, and Steam estimates < 20 minutes to preload.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:08 pm
Jag wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:35 pm Pre-load is up. Can't wait.
Agreed! Also, I love 2018. 16.9 GB, and Steam estimates < 20 minutes to preload.
Some of us still only have internet from 2000, so it takes a bit longer. But that is what the night is for, so I can sleep and the downloads can commence.

Also, is the game playable now? I am leaving work at 11, since I started at 4 am today. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think it opens at 1 est.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Someone told me 3 pm Eastern. That darn West coast Bias! :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

RMC wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:17 am Someone told me 3 pm Eastern. That darn West coast Bias! :)
It's always 12pm or 1pm (when daylight savings is in effect) eastern. The steam store page says it unlocks in about 2 hours
Jag

Post by Jag »

IceBear wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:35 am The steam store page says it unlocks in about 2 hours
1hr now! Review embargoes are over.

Pillars of Eternity 2 captures the joy of tabletop gaming
Many of the developers behind Deadfire have deep roots in pen-and-paper role playing games, so it’s natural that they want to give the player as many options as possible when exploring Eora, the games expansive world. “It always feels cool when you have a problem that becomes worse over time when you don’t deal with it right away,” says Britch. “There are unexpected consequences for nearly everything you do, and everything you don’t do.”
Main class selection is going to be a major problem. So many classes and multi-classes to choose from. Leaning towards a Chanter(Beckoner)/Ranger or Pally.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Finishing up the install now
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Dunno why I'm interested in this, as all my attempts to get back into the recent crop of CRPG's have failed miserably. I got about 10 hours into the first PoE before losing interest, which is far further than I got in Divinity OS 1 or 2, Tyranny, or the new Torment.

Still, I'll be keeping an eye on reviews and will probably break down and get it at some point. Will definitely wait a while...this is an Obsidian game, after all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Didn't have enough time to go through character creation but was wondering if anyone was going to try a multi class character this time around? I'm off to do some research on this important topic....
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I plan to.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ack, there's a whole category of subclasses too. Oh the number of choices!
Black lives matter!

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I would be curious to here impression on if they've changed up the equipment mechanics at all. I'm not normally a loot guy but I found the items in the original game so boring that after about the midpoint of the game my party never got a new item worth equipping.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I agree; the loot system is pretty bland. I don't necessarily need it to be like Diablo, but something to give the weapons more personality/uniqueness would be nice. Even the named weapons in the original game were just slight modifications from the base weapons.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

$iljanus wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 pm Ack, there's a whole category of subclasses too. Oh the number of choices!
I am multi-classing everyone.
Repost for new page.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Took me a few minutes but I figured out how to collect my pledge finally.

Now, to replay POE I.

Later.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sigh, now I’m thinking of either going back to being a pure Cipher with one of the sub classes or trying the monk/rogue multi class. Haven’t gone to far into the game yet so now is the time to change things up. And I thought mech optimization in Battletech was thought consuming.

I do like what I’ve played so far.
Black lives matter!

wire

Post by wire »

I'm really enjoying the game but having a hard time figuring out which companions to use...I wish you could have 5 (6 total in party) like in the first game. I like doing the companion stories and it appears that their progression is based on their feelings towards you so unless you have them in the party it may be hard to progress their story.
Jag

Post by Jag »

wire wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:28 am I'm really enjoying the game but having a hard time figuring out which companions to use...I wish you could have 5 (6 total in party) like in the first game. I like doing the companion stories and it appears that their progression is based on their feelings towards you so unless you have them in the party it may be hard to progress their story.
Yes, 5 feels limiting and 6 would be perfect. They said they cut down the number because of multi-classing and there would simply be too much to manage with 6. Ideally you can play 10 classes total with multi. My current party has 8 different classes. I benched my cipher and druid but will run them my next play through where I'm going to focus on min/maxing at a higher difficulty. Right now just playing whatever is fun and enjoying the ride.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would I like this game if the first never really grabbed me? Im hearing its a better game and not the same as the first.

A little perspective. I loved ALL the old Infinity Engine games and finished them all about 3 times. With Pillars 2 I gave it a good run. I played until I got to that big town on the waterfront. Thats was a couple weeks play. But it never did grab me. I never found myself immersed in it. I couldn't name a character or anything. Its just a 'blah' to me.

Would Deadfire grab me any better? Is it different enough and does having fun in it depend on playing the first game? If its a better and different game then Ill add it to my list of wants.

Steam says I put 26 hours into PoE 1. Ill reinstall land try it. Still curious about Deadfire.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:24 pm Would I like this game if the first never really grabbed me? Im hearing its a better game and not the same as the first.

Naw, it's pretty much the same game. Different story, but same writing, same style, same gameplay with minor variations.
e1123

Post by e1123 »

I had a hard time with first one as well. There were a lot of breaks and I never finished, but I’m enjoying the second. The setting in Deadfire is much more interesting and there’s a lot of freedom. The companions aren’t so dull either. I dreaded GM conversations because it just turned into a sea of text.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I like it a lot more than first one. I think it is much more driven through story, voice in every line helps. Much better flow of story, plus islands and other elements of pirate life is quiet cool. Almost no random encounters, and fights planned out really well.

5 people is a bit annoying, but i dont notice it much. i am about 25 hours in and not slowing so, while first one i did a lot of start / stop.
The graphics is amazing, very atmospheric and environment are few notches higher than pillars 1. So far liking it a lot, very good mix of story, exploring, etc. They also improved crafting, aka made it easier. Now it just a click away. Same thing with weapons and armor, you want it enchant? just right click it.
Also i feel i am always low on cash, which is good, since in some games you just get too much $ and it loses meaning. While here you can certainly find ways to spend it, with boats, upgrades, etc. At some point it was between upgrading my fighter/rogue weapons or buying a boat, so my fighter had to wait :)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I thought soulbound weapons in PoE1 were bindable to anyone, but I found one
Spoiler:
Modwry
and it appears I can only bind it to my Watcher. A wizard.

Is this true of all of them or is this one special?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

True of most, but not all.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Ah, thank you Zaxxon!
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Great game. Liking it more than original, pacing is much better. Story is very good too, but packing and voice and other minor elements that make it into over all better experience. Never finished first one (and picked it up a bunch of times with about 50 hours on that (with white march), but never fully clicked with me), and i have a feeling, i will be finishing the second one.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I finished it last night, and I agree that it was better than the first. I think that mainly comes down to story's antagonist; the troublemaker of this story is much more interesting than the Generic Immortal Evil Dude of PoE, despite having very few direct interactions with the player.

The pacing is... weird. Like many open-world RPGs, PoE II establishes an urgent crisis, and then sets you free to go pick wildflowers and solve sidequests for as long as you choose. No need to worry about the looming threat to all of existence; it will wait patiently until you're ready for it.

The companion characters are excellent, in both writing and voice work. I especially liked Eder (a returning favorite from PoE) and Xoti, who starts out kind of annoying but has some interesting wrinkles.

My ending (or at least the details I can remember):
Spoiler:
Eothas destroys the wheel and disperses his spirit to inspire the people of the world in the new age.

The Principi, led by Aeldys, re-start the storm machine protecting Ukaizo, so that no one can access its power.

Neketara descends into lawlessness.

Xoti becomes a serial killer.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Anyone have ship suggestions? I have money for bigger ships, but I'm not sure if it's worth spending on or just upgrading Defiant to the best stuff I can find. Most of what I have seen online is just a list of the ships and their stats, but not experiences of how they fight.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Against my better judgement, I grabbed this today. I keep hoping that one of these new CRPG's will click...maybe this is the one.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finally broke down and picked this up at GOG for $39.99 (which includes DLC) while still waiting for BG3 (Patch 9 with a new class, presumably Paladin on 12-14). Should be a finished product by now. I'm loving it so far, but I've learned with these types of games the newbie portion is generally the most enjoyable. I opted for a turn-based session rather than real time with pause.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Definitely not to throw it in your face Jaymann, but for any others that may be eyeing this...it regularly goes on sale for $9.99 on Steam. I've been watching it for years and also just finally broke down and picked it up 2 days ago with all the DLC for $14.99.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Currently $8.50 at GamersGate (a reliable seller.) Is it too late to get a refund?

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/pillars ... fire/info/
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)