2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Fitzy

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by Fitzy »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:19 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am John Kelly’s reaction wasn’t about Trump’s comments on Germany, he just hates breakfast pastries!
There are potentially serious undertones there. Why did they do announce this? Are they petty? Lying about his true reaction? General craziness? And/or to show that Kelly is on the outs? Who the fuck knows. It's Trump-land!
Has Sanders snapped? This is a level of loony I never imagined I'd see out of the White House. Phoning it in? Ran out of lies and had to use a random excuse generator?
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

May, Macron and Merkel should just assert that they *are* spending 2% of GDP on defense, and call any reports otherwise "FAKE NEWS" and then call on Trump to "finally bring American spending up to 2%" and send him a bill for unpaid "NATO dues."

I mean, seriously, just throw the nonsense back in his face.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
malchior

Post by malchior »

One should not poke a crack head when he is high - an ancient NATO saying
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

"Mister President, we never spent 2% of defense before because we didn't like Barack Obama, who clearly was not an American citizen. The moment you took office, we increased our spending to 2% just as you have asked us to do. In fact, I fear that reports that we have not done so is FAKE NEWS coming from CNN and the Deep State, who are trying to hide the fact that we respect you so much that we have already addressed this problem, sir."
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

According to Fox News this morning, the entire US Military budget goes to NATO. :roll:

.@FoxNews graphic shows entire U.S. defense budget, $706B, is designated as "Contributions to NATO in 2018"

Fact Check: this is U.S. total defense spending, not @NATO spending
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Holman wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:32 amMost of Russia's tank force is inactive, and most of it is outdated. Putting aside the new Armata (of which they have less than 100, and which apparently has major teething problems), they have a couple of thousand T-90s, and the rest are 70's/80s era technology. Putin's conventional force is hamstrung by all kinds of difficulties, logistical and even social. That's why he has invested so heavily in unconventional warfare.
My money would be on the cavalry brigade we have over there, if I thought that their boss might let them stick around if push came to shove.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:28 am According to Fox News this morning, the entire US Military budget goes to NATO. :roll:

.@FoxNews graphic shows entire U.S. defense budget, $706B, is designated as "Contributions to NATO in 2018"

And yet, that's closer to the truth than Trump's nonsense. NATO members are supposed to commit 2% of GDP to defense, not to NATO itself, so the entire US military budget is what should be measured against the NATO 2% GDP benchmark, even though it's obviously hogwash to pretend that it all goes to NATO.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:14 am John Kelly’s reaction wasn’t about Trump’s comments on Germany, he just hates breakfast pastries!
Wonder how Kelly feels about being made out to seem like a pouty child. I'm sure it was Trump that was unhappy with the pastries and they just shifted it to Kelly.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:39 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:28 am According to Fox News this morning, the entire US Military budget goes to NATO. :roll:

And yet, that's closer to the truth than Trump's nonsense. NATO members are supposed to commit 2% of GDP to defense, not to NATO itself, so the entire US military budget is what should be measured against the NATO 2% GDP benchmark, even though it's obviously hogwash to pretend that it all goes to NATO.
\
Trump also claimed we pay 90% of the cost of NATO. We really pay ~22% of the administrative cost.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am Can we MiExit to become part of Ontario?
Just keep im mind that Ontario is one of the more corrupt, grafty and spendy provinces we have.

It's very polite though.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am Can we MiExit to become part of Ontario?
Just keep im mind that Ontario is one of the more corrupt, grafty and spendy provinces we have.

It's very polite though.
Seems like the solution would be to make Michigan its own province of Canada.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:10 am One should not poke a crack head when he is high - an ancient NATO saying
I lol'd.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's very polite though.
1) Didn't know that.
2) We are surrounded by Ontario, I don't think we get to choose. Unless you make us our own province. I will accept that as part of the terms of our secession/annexation.

Also, I don't mind paying taxes for services, so being spendy is not so bad, maybe we can get our educational system, roads, parks and services back in addition to reasonable health care among other things. The price at the pump will suck but I'll adapt.

Look at this way. Canada will have held 4 Stanley Cup championships since 1997 is you annex us and it might convince Steve Yzerman to come home to Canada. Think about it.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:50 pm

It's very polite though.
1) Didn't know that.
2) We are surrounded by Ontario, I don't think we get to choose. Unless you make us our own province. I will accept that as part of the terms of our secession/annexation.
I don't see why not. It also seems administratively way simpler to make Michigan its own province, plus you don't need to spend so much money changing all the flags and whatnot.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Works for me. Where's the paperwork? Where do I sign?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If you can get the entire state speaking French you can form a coalition with Quebec and RULE Canada with an iron fist.

Peace to our French Canadian members (all both of you, I think) Just poking fun.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm If you can get the entire state speaking French you can form a coalition with Quebec and RULE Canada with an iron fist.

Peace to our French Canadian members (all both of you, I think) Just poking fun.
De-Twa!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am Can we MiExit to become part of Ontario? He can keep Grand Rapids and they're Trump loving asses.
HEY! Kent is at least a pink county...

You want to leave behind all the inbred Dutch in Holland and Ottawa county. I STILL see Trump signs in people's yards out there.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:37 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am Can we MiExit to become part of Ontario? He can keep Grand Rapids and they're Trump loving asses.

You want to leave behind all the inbred Dutch in Holland and Ottawa county. I STILL see Trump signs in people's yards out there.
Grand Rapids to me, has become a state of mind, not geography. And what a state of mind it is.

Sorry to offend. While Meijers comes from Grand Rapids... Amway, DeVos, Prince. The difference between Holland and GR is how long you have to drive to see cool lighthouses.

Let me put it another way. I never knew what a contrail was until I talked to be people from GR.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Grand Rapids to me, has become a state of mind, not geography. And what a state of mind it is.

Sorry to offend. While Meijers comes from Grand Rapids... Amway, DeVos, Prince. The difference between Holland and GR is how long you have to drive to see cool lighthouses.

Let me put it another way. I never knew what a contrail was until I talked to be people from GR.
I can testify that GR has come a long way in the past 40 years. It's still way too conservative for me, but it's not as stifling as it was when I grew up there. Jesus isn't as in-your-face, and it has some great breweries. Back then, I couldn't wait to get the hell outta there. Today I might feel less pressure to leave. I don't sense that the Dutch Reformed still rule with an iron fist...although I could be wrong on that count. I haven't spent five days there since my parents died.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's very polite though.
Doug Ford will fix the latter soon enough.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

LordMortis wrote:Works for me. Where's the paperwork? Where do I sign?
Anything to increase your property values, eh?

:)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:02 am
LordMortis wrote:Works for me. Where's the paperwork? Where do I sign?
Anything to increase your property values, eh?

:)
That is an unintended consequence. :horse:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So I guess Trump just shit all over Theresa May in an interview for Rupert Murdoch's Sun yesterday. He also took time to whine about the giant Trump Baby balloon that is expected to fly today.

I really don't know what to do anymore. This guy is completely, and almost singlehandedly, destroying decades of diplomacy and statecraft. All to our detriment.

He really worships Putin. I mean I get it, Putin is the richest and single most powerful man in the world. Trump wants that. But how is he allowed to continue?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump calls interview with The Sun "fake news." There's a recording of it. It's been playing all day.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, this morning he did a 180 and praised May when he was in the same room with her.

Although his "we don't care what you do as long as we can still trade," wrt Brexit, wasn't exactly a glowing endorsement.

She will probably bathe in bleach when he leaves.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Let's be fair May probably bathes in bleach every day. She used to have to deal with Boris Johnson daily. I think she'll have to up it to silk wood shower levels after this one.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

John Cleese posted this on FB this morning, and I rather liked it.
John Cleese wrote:My American friends are asking me about President Trumps’s observation that the British ‘like him’

I regret this is quite unfounded

The explanation for this canard is that Trump is pronoid

Pronoid is the opposite of paranoid. A paranoid person thinks, without any basis in reality, that everybody is out to get them. A pronoid person is someone who thinks, without any
basis in reality, that everybody likes them

The fact is that the British loathe Donald Trump

This is because he is the polar opposite of a ‘ Gentleman ‘, who has qualities the British admire. A fine example is Gareth Southgate

To the British, a ‘ Gentleman ' is a man who is modest, well-mannered, self deprecating, quietly intelligent, considerate of other people’s feeling, and well-informed.

He is not vulgar, inflated, vain, boastful, noisily ignorant, sleazy and common as muck

I hope this clears up any confusion
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I was on a call this morning with some folks from the UK. One of them mentioned that they had my President over there. I asked them to keep him, but no one really seemed interested.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:47 am I was on a call this morning with some folks from the UK. One of them mentioned that they had my President over there. I asked them to keep him, but no one really seemed interested.
I did the same thing yesterday! That guy said, "we have our own Trump. His name is Boris Johnson...would you like a trade?" :lol:
Holman

Post by Holman »

If you guys don't quit Deep Stating out in the open like that, you're going to have to talk to Trey Gowdy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He is a fucking nut case and unfortunately the most dangerous fool alive.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump is now on the way to meet Putin (100% confirmed as having attacked our democratic process and known to have recently assassinated citizens in the country he just left), so naturally he tweets warm congratulations to the winners of the World Cup and to Putin, specifically, for hosting it.

Oh, and he whined about being criticized and called the media "the enemy of the people."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:42 pm Trump is now on the way to meet Putin (100% confirmed as having attacked our democratic process and known to have recently assassinated citizens in the country he just left), so naturally he tweets warm congratulations to the winners of the World Cup and to Putin, specifically, for hosting it.

Oh, and he whined about being criticized and called the media "the enemy of the people."
Well, he's got to get the "next steps" order from his master...can't very well do that with the nosy liberal fake news always around. With a one on one, and no others in the room, they can both speak plainly.

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

It's funny that the yay Putin soccer tweet implies he's ever watched the world cup before. Or watched this one. Or could identify a soccer match if it was happening in front of him.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just before meeting Putin...

Trump wrote:Our relationship with Russia has NEVER been worse thanks to many years of U.S. foolishness and stupidity and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:Just before meeting Putin...

Trump wrote:Our relationship with Russia has NEVER been worse thanks to many years of U.S. foolishness and stupidity and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!
Well at least he's not apologizing for America like that Obama guy...

(sigh)

If this asshat wasn't the "president" of our country I would have loved to have seen Putin bat him around like a cat with a mouse.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:57 am Just before meeting Putin...

So he goes into the meeting Tweeting what Putin is about to ask him to come out of the meeting Tweeting.

Rip, I assume you agree with Trump... Our poor relationship with Russia is thanks to many years of U.S. foolishness and this meaningless Witch Hunt! :pop:

Or here, this is a better question... As far as 'the game' goes.... Is this how Trump should be playing it - moments before meeting with Trump, make that declaration? I mean - how can you not see him as being the ABSOLUTE weakest President on Russia ever?
Holman

Post by Holman »

link

Here's the Russian Foreign Ministry trolling us during the Trump-Putin meeting.

Putin also made Trump wait an hour longer than scheduled for the start, the same power-move Trump tried at NATO.