MLB Season 2017!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: MLB Season 2017!

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 pm McCullers is all over the place.
He's all over the bench now. 4hbp in 2 1/3. Hit Turner twice?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:42 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 pm McCullers is all over the place.
He's all over the bench now. 4hbp in 2 1/3. Hit Turner twice?
Indeed. The important number is zero runs :)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Looking like Lorini made the right choice.
Black Lives Matter.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:16 pm Looking like Lorini made the right choice.
rather...just in time for the epic comeback!
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Congrats to the Astros.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Morton was nails. Loved watching him pitch.

:obscene-drinkingcheers: Dramatist!
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

noxiousdog wrote:Morton was nails. Loved watching him pitch.

:obscene-drinkingcheers: Dramatist!
Woohoo!!! Great season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
naednek

Post by naednek »

and the drought continues!

5-0 wasn't enough to calm my nerves. It wasn't until the bottom of the ninth where I felt like it was safe to breathe.

I'm not really sorry Lorini, but I do have to say your team will be good for the years to come (unfortunately)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I can't be too happy for the Houston Racists, but a bitter defeat for the Dodgers is always in order.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The dinner was great and that's all I have to say about the evening :D

P.S. I think Darvish will be available in the offseason if the Rangers want him back.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Given the class Darvish showed I'm sad he did not fare better during his time on the mound last night but I am happy Verlander got his ring.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Congrats to the Astros - always nice to see a team get its first championship.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

MLB Season 2017!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I heard one of the Fox interviewers on the field after the game ask someone how it felt to be, and I quote “champions of the world”. WTF?!

Not much of a baseball fan normally but was riveted every game this time. Even got my baseball hating wife to watch several innings!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 am The dinner was great and that's all I have to say about the evening :D

P.S. I think Darvish will be available in the offseason if the Rangers want him back.
Listening to the radio broadcast last night, they wondered if maybe Darvish was tipping his pitches, and that the Astros were really good at finding those tells. They mentioned that they thought Darvish had better stuff than game 3 (but not quite his best), but that the Astros were able to lay off just about every borderline breaking ball.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Jaymann wrote:I can't be too happy for the Houston Racists, but a bitter defeat for the Dodgers is always in order.
Sooo what you're saying is that because one Cuban made a racist gesture and used a slur after having played ball as a dark skinned guy in a notoriously racist country, everyone on the team is racist? Man I must not understand how this unfair generalizations thing works.

Caveat: Gurriel was wrong morally, and intellectually, and guys that make that kind of money in a PR industry don't have cultural excuses regardless. But the fainting and gnashing of teeth over a guy being a dick is either naive or just stupid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:00 am
Jaymann wrote:I can't be too happy for the Houston Racists, but a bitter defeat for the Dodgers is always in order.
Sooo what you're saying is that because one Cuban made a racist gesture and used a slur after having played ball as a dark skinned guy in a notoriously racist country, everyone on the team is racist? Man I must not understand how this unfair generalizations thing works.

Caveat: Gurriel was wrong morally, and intellectually, and guys that make that kind of money in a PR industry don't have cultural excuses regardless. But the fainting and gnashing of teeth over a guy being a dick is either naive or just stupid.

Yeah, and generalizing is never good.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 pm I heard one of the Fox interviewers on the field after the game ask someone how it felt to be, and I quote “champions of the world”. WTF?!

Not much of a baseball fan normally but was riveted every game this time. Even got my baseball hating wife to watch several innings!
As people have pointed out, there are a ton of countries represented by players in the game, so champions of the world is not that far off. Not to mention the fact that in reality there's no other team in the world outside of the US that is better.
Black Lives Matter
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Ermagherd, Houston has lost its damn mind. It's faster to walk across downtown than use metro, the streets two blocks away from the parade have flooded people into traffic, it's a physical standstill over a block away, and a hugs constant stream is headed into it.

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The visualization in my head of a 'hugs constant stream' is positive.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Lorini wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:15 am As people have pointed out, there are a ton of countries represented by players in the game, so champions of the world is not that far off. Not to mention the fact that in reality there's no other team in the world outside of the US that is better.
Come on, that's crazy logic. A huge percentage of players are Cuban, so let's call it a world championship?

It's not like there aren't lots of examples of real world series' for other sports to compare here. As far as I can tell, it's just an old carryover of American hubris from an earlier time.

Also, the fact that a Baseball World Cup and a World Baseball Classic were things, and we actually did not dominate those (USA won once out of the 4 WBC's played), makes me wonder about your second point. I see that the Baseball World Cup was only amateurs and minor leaguers from MLB for the US, but the WBC included pros.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Nowhere close to the level of play you see in the MLB. They aren't facing MLB's best pitchers. No Kershaw, no Sale, no Verlander or even MadBum :) .

But if that's how you feel about it, that's fine. It is certainly billed that way.
Black Lives Matter