[TV] Wheel of Time series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: [TV] Wheel of Time series

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:19 am I'll admit, I haven't read the WoT books (in particular the first ~5) in like 20+ years at this point), but I am really struggling with S2. I don't remember 90% of what they're showing in these first two episodes.

Have we hit "inspired by the Wheel of Time series" at this point or is my memory just bad?
I'm in book 13 right now, and have read 1-12 in the very recent past.

We hit and passed 'inspired by' in the first episode of season 1. By the end of season 1, we were getting close to 'hard reboot.'

I started reading the books (re-reading the first six or seven, then finally moving toward the end) a while after the first season. I won't be touching the second season until I finish reading the series - I don't want their imagery and story points mixing with Jordan's (or, at this point, Sanderson's.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I don't think I ever read the books and haven't watched the show yet.
Can someone tell me what it's about amd what shows it's mist like?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Punisher wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:54 pm I don't think I ever read the books and haven't watched the show yet.
It's about a game show in the distant future that is a lot like Wheel of Fortune, only the winner of the game is thrown forward in time the number of years that they 'won'. They then follow that contestant for a while until their story is somehow concluded. Then it goes back to the game show, where we follow another winner. It's creative in how it slowly starts to intertwine the various winner's new worlds together into some crazy future universe. Actually that's just me talking shit, but now I feel like that sounds like a cool show/book/series.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:54 pm I don't think I ever read the books and haven't watched the show yet.
I don't know where they're taking the show, so it's a little hard to be specific. Keeping it general (and spoiler free beyond prologue level stuff), it's about a fantasy world where the people accidentally released a major bad entity (think 'Satan and Sauron had a baby more powerful than either' and you won't be too far off. It was a futuristic sci-fi world with magic, and they got a little too curious. They were able to imprison the entity again, but it was shoddy, and the process nearly destroyed the world, obliterated society, and drove every male who could use magic insane from that point forward.

It was very well known and accepted that one day, the guy responsible for both imprisoning the entity and destroying the world in the process would be reborn, and that when he did so, the entity would also break free. There would follow a 'last battle' in which the entity would either be destroyed, or the entity would win and all of the world would become, essentially, hell as the fabric of reality itself unraveled under the entity's control.

The story takes place thousands of years later as those events are just coming to pass. The world still hasn't recovered from what happened. Practically all of the technology is long gone and turned to dust, and the world is in a late medieval/early renaissance period (a typical non-Tolkien fantasy world - there aren't a bunch of other races, monsters don't wander all over, etc), with women being the only ones who can safely use magic (men who can use it are hunted down.) It centers on a small group of village youths from a rural town that's so remote that even the kingdom they live in has forgotten that the region exists (they haven't seen a tax man in generations.)

As for feel - the books are epic 'serious' fantasy full of characters and detailed cultures. Comparisons to something like Game of Thrones wouldn't be unwarranted (and it's worth noting that Wheel of Time is the longest single fantasy series ever written, currently sitting at 4.4 million words.)

The show changed the focus a bit, made the youths a bit older, but the core premise seems the same.

The feel (for the show, just going from season 1) is... less serious and grounded than Game of Thrones or The Witcher, but still has the scope and stakes of Game of Thrones. In film... more Hobbit than Lord of the Rings.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:05 pm
It's about a game show in the distant future that is a lot like Wheel of Fortune, only the winner of the game is thrown forward in time the number of years that they 'won'. They then follow that contestant for a while until their story is somehow concluded. Then it goes back to the game show, where we follow another winner. It's creative in how it slowly starts to intertwine the various winner's new worlds together into some crazy future universe. Actually that's just me talking shit, but now I feel like that sounds like a cool show/book/series.
And wait till you see Vanna, Aes Sedai of the White Ajah…
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It sounds like something Piers Anthony would write.
Zarathud

[TV] Wheel of Time series

Post by Zarathud »

Fantasy about the world ending due to hubris but a young farm boy has a destiny after being the reincarnated guy who fucked up the world in the last spin. His local friends also have destinies. The story is told with a lot of world building, characters, complication, angst, and conflict.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Thanks for the info.
Unagis version sounds but I'll add it to my list anyway and gice it a try.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:05 pm The second season is much better than the first. It feels more like Game of Thrones and less like Xena.
Agreed. Part of the reason for this is probably the issues they had filming the 1st season during peak pandemic (especially the final episodes). Part. I also think they are finding their way and the rhythm of the show - a hard thing to do with such a large cast over so many locations.

Also that the first book has so many tropes and it wasn't until the 2nd-4th books that even the books found their way out of the fantasy/hero's journey story by rote.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, uh... how's the new Mat? More the lovable rapscallion and less the smelly guy on the corner selling stolen watches?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:57 am So, uh... how's the new Mat? More the lovable rapscallion and less the smelly guy on the corner selling stolen watches?
Not really featured, but a serviceable job.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I like him so far. Feels like Mat.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure if I'm the only one keeping up, but last night's episode ("Eyes Without Pity") was the first I can say I genuinely enjoyed. Maybe not so much because of the WoT elements, but the actresses playing Egwene and Renna did what I thought was an amazing job of relating what I (kinda) remember from the books.

Also, the early scenes with Rand and uh...Selene (heh) had a very Legend of the Seeker TV show vibe.

I'm also amazed at the casting for Elayne; she was perfectly cast.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I haven't watched last night's yet, but it's on the docket for tonight. Looking forward to it, as I thought last week's was one of the best so far.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think this week's episode was also quite good (Ep 7 "Daes Dae'Mar"). Not sure exactly what is changing (scope? smaller focus each week on fewer characters?), but these last three episodes feel so much better than what the show was earlier in the season and in S1.
stessier

Post by stessier »

For anyone that's read the books, it is still just "inspired" by the books? I know them so well that watching something close but not quite brings on uncanny valley feelings and I can't enjoy it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know if this is helpful, but they're doing a thing on Ars Technica where they have two people that are insanely familiar with the books do a show recap and they definitely get into the differences, usually to point out why changes might have been made or why something made sense to do a certain way on the show.

I know it can be jarring to see differences in the show vs a book, so I can totally appreciate where you're coming from. Hope that link helps answer things a bit, anyway.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Good to hear it gets better. I'm four episodes in and while I'm not hate-watching it like I was the first season, I still haven't reached the point where I think it's good. Hoping the latter half of the season changes my mind.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:48 pm I still haven't reached the point where I think it's good. Hoping the latter half of the season changes my mind.
It was the Ep 5-7 run of this season where I think things really improved somehow. Ep6 in particular was quite good.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:31 pm
And wait till you see Vanna, Aes Sedai of the White Ajah…
Dammit, I almost copied and pasted that to google. I figured they married Perrin off and other...stuff, maybe they added in a hot chick, too.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok, all caught up and like the rest of you I've warmed up to it considerably. I particularly enjoyed the Seanchan and the portrayal of the damane. Egwene's acting in Episode 6 was one of the most gut-wrenching performances I've seen on TV in a looong time. Bravo.

Part of my increasing warmth to the show is that they've reduced Loial to a footnote. Sorry, I freaking hate the portrayal of him in this show, he looks ridiculous. I'd honestly rather they'd have put some bad CGI character in his place.

I do like the new Matt - he seems way more fitting of the character to me than the previous guy did. I'm not sure if that's due to the writing, the actor, or both, but I'm here for it.

I hope they continue in this dark direction, showcasing the brutality of the world and the high stakes for the characters. It has helped the show immensely. I've gone from hating them to caring for them (except for Loial because F that guy and Rand because ehhh, who really cares about Rand - he's like the least interesting character in the entire party :D ).
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I cannot get past how clean everything looks. Everything is absolutely spotless and appears to be in brand spankin’ new condition.

The plot choices through the first five episodes continue to enrage me. Still hate watching.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Braid Puller has lost her braid!

A nation mourns.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really enjoyed the S2 finale. I can't comment on how book purists might feel (and again, that's no judgement from me, I get it), but in terms of an entertaining show I thought the back-end of S2 was really quite good.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I’ve still got to catch the last two this weekend after my covid delay.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:18 am The Braid Puller has lost her braid!
Wow, they're really pushing the plot forward. That wasn't supposed to happen until book 12!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As long as there are skirts to be smoothed, I think we'll be OK.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The turnaround of the series from the end of S1 to S2 is remarkable. It took a lot of positive press to get me to watch it after S1 but it does seem like they really pulled it off. Cautiously optimistic here for S3.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As much as I hated season 1, I'm actually looking forward to watching this, going in with the attitude that it's not a Wheel of Time adaptation so much as it's 'inspired by' WoT. Like I said before, though, I'm waiting until I finish the books.

But I'm in the mood for a good fantasy series to watch right now. Maybe I'll just get around to watching The Witcher season 3. Oh, I'm waiting to continue that until I've read the books, too. :roll:
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

The second half of S2 really picked up the quality and the finale was actually outstanding.

Many, many changes from the books, but mostly in the department of compressing characters and storylines to fit within the format of a TV series. Very noticeable for a reader but also (mostly) understandable.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

I just finished watching S1 and S2. Yes, this is a flawed, sloppy show. It's very different from the books, often in ways that aren't improvements. But I love it. I love the performances, the costumes, the quick pacing, the graphic violence, the chances the show takes. I have greatly enjoyed every episode.
mori

Post by mori »

Watched the series so far over a course of a month. No background with the books. Glancing through the thread I see this has had mixed reviews. I think it was an interesting world that was created but also quite silly and more so than the floppy wiener show. Never thought I would see Rosamund Pike squatting down waving her hands like she was doing an interpretive dance at a modern arts theater (I know, fantasy obviously is not my genre). The story was hard to follow. At times I felt like I must of skipped an episode as elements suddenly felt out of place and where did this character come from. I did not like any of the characters. Maybe Selene and Renna which is odd I know. I like Selene because she is a skeptic and not necessarily evil. She is more than one dimensional unlike every other character in the show. Renna because that is how I would imagine someone would do what she was trying to do. Good cop/bad cop, award or punishment, friend or tormentor. I heard Amazon spent a ton of money on the show, so why was the SFX so bad?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tip: Do NOT search for Wheel of Time characters if you don't want major, major single-word spoilers in every search result.