Post by Jaymann »

Sounds like the name of a rock group.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
xenocide

Re: [TV] Wheel of Time series

Post by xenocide »

I'll watch season 2, I almost can't not. But I'm definitely going to have to change my expectations/view of what the show is. Have to convince myself it's a brand new show somewhat loosely based on wheel of time.

Obviously I knew and expected changes, and for the most part have been fine with them up through ep 7. Not sure everything is how I would have done it but I almost always saw what they were trying to do. But Ep 8 man, just felt like change after change just for the sake of change. While watching I kept exclaiming "WHAT?!", and not in a good surprise way.

Maybe I'm too stuck on the books. Everywhere I've went online today, almost every non-book reader loved the episode, so I guess I'm wrong and they know what they are doing. Even so there were several things IMO they could have left the same as the books and not changed the show at all.
Spoiler:
Age of Legend cold open: this I loved and hated. Great idea, great look. Stupid, unnecessary changes. LTT is the dragon reborn? So I guess that makes Rand the dragon reborn reborn. Dumb. LTT is the dragon and Rand is the dragon reborn, needles change.

LTT came off as "just for shits and giggles I think I'll seal the dark one away." Other lady "but that will corrupt male channeling and set the world back 1000s of years, but you do you." So easy to tweak the dialog a tiny bit and keep true to the books and the show.

The sa'angreal Morraine gives Rand. Why not make it a ter'angreal that links him to a reservoir of the power left behind? Same effect for the show without shitting on the book lore.

Rand straight up asks Morraine to teach him and they STILL don't explain male vs female channeling, perfect chance. I hope they are going someplace with this that is not dumb as hell.

One woman so weak in the power she can't even be aes sedai, along with two nobodies, and two untrained girls can all of a sudden wipe out multiple 1000s of trollocs and hundreds of fades?! Ya, ok if you say so. Why even have armies, 5 real aes sedai should be able to kill anything the blight could send. Hell, 2 episodes ago Egwene could not even start a fire, now she brings back the dead. But apparently in the behind the scenes she wasn't really dead, even though the actual show clearly made it seem that way. I should not HAVE to watch the behind the scene to know wtf is going on.

I liked Perrin for the 1st 1/2 of the season. 2nd 1/2, especially ep 8, he is terrible and useless. Why is he yelling at Loial about the way of the leaf out of nowhere? If other scenes leading to this were cut, cut that scene also. Not sure if its bad acting or bad writing or both be he is bad.

Morraine has a "tell" the Lan does not know about that allows her to be tracked. WTF!? A "tell", really? get the fuck out of here.

Horn of V under the chair. Kind of dumb but that is the type of change I can live with.

Padan Fain is awesome, maybe my favorite character in the show. Hopefully he can get a little more screen time. Weird he is the one who finally explains what a Ta'veren is. Should have been explained several episodes sooner IMO.

Loial getting stabbed with the dagger and the weird Matt reference I'm going to give them a pass on and assume that had to do with the actor playing Matt leaving the show early. That is assuming Loial's "death" is a fake out. Fuck them if he's really dead.

Introduction of the Seanchan was cool, I'll give them that. Don't know why they tidal waved an 8 year old girl on an otherwise empty beach. The ball gags are fine, but I would have kept the leashes, makes it more demeaning IMO, and it should be demeaning. Will wait to see it played out.

Actor playing Ishamael was good.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

xenocide just saved me a lot of typing.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Alright, I can't take it. I have to commiserate with xenocide.
Spoiler:
xenocide wrote: Age of Legend cold open: this I loved and hated. Great idea, great look. Stupid, unnecessary changes. LTT is the dragon reborn? So I guess that makes Rand the dragon reborn reborn. Dumb. LTT is the dragon and Rand is the dragon reborn, needles change.

LTT came off as "just for shits and giggles I think I'll seal the dark one away." Other lady "but that will corrupt male channeling and set the world back 1000s of years, but you do you." So easy to tweak the dialog a tiny bit and keep true to the books and the show.
As with most aspects of this show, when they show me something that isn't specifically depicted in the books, it's a lot easier to accept things. This was borderline, for the big reason that you mention. Lews Therin Telamon is *not* the Dragon Reborn. He's the Dragon. The Dragon is specifically the name that legend gave to him in particular, after his madness broke the world. Rand is the Dragon Reborn (the rebirth of LTT).

Before LTT, we have to remember that the Dark One couldn't impact the world, he was imprisoned and unable to influence the pattern until the Bore was opened during the Age of Legends. It was LTT that sealed the Bore, and during that act - the Dark One tainted saidin (and only saidin, because the women did not help). So that part of the opening scene isn't that far outside of the lore. They just presented it in a bit of a hamfisted way. But they certainly could have quickly established that a mistake was made in creating the Bore (in an attempt to access a greater power than the True Source), and that LTT was trying to correct that mistake after they saw the effects of the Dark One's influence after his prison was weakened.

I didn't hate the scene, but with better dialog it could have been true to the books without taking up any more time.
xenocide wrote: The sa'angreal Morraine gives Rand. Why not make it a ter'angreal that links him to a reservoir of the power left behind? Same effect for the show without shitting on the book lore.
I don't know that there was any purpose to this. Rand is the mother-fuckin' Dragon Reborn. He's the strongest channeler in human history. They didn't need to beef him up for whatever he needed to do to defeat Ba'alzamon at the Eye of the World. Also - that was such a descriptive fight in the book - just friggin' do THAT.

Now, that said - what they did instead was use Egwene's test to become Accepted, only as Rand's test to thwart the temptation of the dark side of the Force? That seems like what they were going for there? I don't know. The temptation metaphors aren't an element from the book (for Rand, at least not until MUCH later), so I don't know what they were doing, other than maybe they ran out of money at the end of the season. I still don't know what actually happened, other than the fact that Rand appears to have shattered the first seal. No other part of that scene would make you think that he defeated Ba'alzamon in any way - other than him just declaring it.

Also, you missed a pretty big goddamn complaint here in this scene, which is that Moraine is fucking stilled? WTF?
xenocide wrote: Rand straight up asks Morraine to teach him and they STILL don't explain male vs female channeling, perfect chance. I hope they are going someplace with this that is not dumb as hell.
Yeah, like right there - just give a little exposition on the fact that the True Source is split into two halves, and women can only access one side, and have no idea how to access or use the other side, and maybe drop a tease that in the Age of Legends, the greatest works were accomplished by men and women linked together. How hard would that have been?
xenocide wrote: One woman so weak in the power she can't even be aes sedai, along with two nobodies, and two untrained girls can all of a sudden wipe out multiple 1000s of trollocs and hundreds of fades?! Ya, ok if you say so. Why even have armies, 5 real aes sedai should be able to kill anything the blight could send. Hell, 2 episodes ago Egwene could not even start a fire, now she brings back the dead. But apparently in the behind the scenes she wasn't really dead, even though the actual show clearly made it seem that way. I should not HAVE to watch the behind the scene to know wtf is going on.
Parts of this scene, I get. Only Agelmar's sister would have any idea how or what linking is - so I get that she would have to lead the circle. And clearly she couldn't handle it, and burned up. That part makes sense. And since she is only leading the circle and acting as the conduit to the other women, she gets to unleash the power of Egwene and Nynaeve, both of which are far more powerful than any current Aes Sedai. But yeah - vaporizing an army of Trollocs and Fades...why do humans even need armies. Just have a post of 5-10 Green Sisters at Tarwin's Gap all the time, and annihilate anything that tries to come out of the Blight.

This is just a common flaw in TV story telling. They want the big, grand spectacle, without any regard for how it destroys the coherence of the world and source material. Way to blow your wad on lightning visual effects though.
xenocide wrote: I liked Perrin for the 1st 1/2 of the season. 2nd 1/2, especially ep 8, he is terrible and useless. Why is he yelling at Loial about the way of the leaf out of nowhere? If other scenes leading to this were cut, cut that scene also. Not sure if its bad acting or bad writing or both be he is bad.
This Perrin sucks. First, he's not a goddamn werewolf. Just change his goddamn eyes already and leave them like that. He's also not a Tinker, and doesn't follow the Way of the Leaf. Sure, he's not super keen on using his axe, but also, he uses it all the time when necessary. He's not part of a secret love triangle with Rand and Egwene (despite being married, well used to be married). I have no idea what they are doing with Perrin, but it sucks.
xenocide wrote: Moraine has a "tell" the Lan does not know about that allows her to be tracked. WTF!? A "tell", really? get the fuck out of here.
Is she leaving breadcrumbs? When Nynaeve started to say that she wasn't following Lan, I assumed she was following Egwene or Moraine because of the One Power. The idea that Moraine is just blissfully leaving a trail that Lan isn't aware of is just stupid. And even if she was, that's not called a "tell".
xenocide wrote: Horn of V under the chair. Kind of dumb but that is the type of change I can live with.
Yeah, if you know anything about the books, it is an absurd premise. The Horn of Bloody Valere is just sitting under a chair in Fal Dara, and many people know that it's sitting there?!? That said, its a short cut that gets the Horn into Padan Fain's hands. So I can live with it, despite it being absurd.
xenocide wrote: Padan Fain is awesome, maybe my favorite character in the show. Hopefully he can get a little more screen time. Weird he is the one who finally explains what a Ta'veren is. Should have been explained several episodes sooner IMO.
I can only assume that he's awesome because he hasn't been in the show yet for more than 3 minutes total. So I have no doubt they will ruin him too.

I was so hoping that he was going to dime out Laila. :)
xenocide wrote: Loial getting stabbed with the dagger and the weird Matt reference I'm going to give them a pass on and assume that had to do with the actor playing Matt leaving the show early. That is assuming Loial's "death" is a fake out. Fuck them if he's really dead.
I have no idea what the hell they are thinking, just shivving Loial for no reason.
xenocide wrote: Introduction of the Seanchan was cool, I'll give them that. Don't know why they tidal waved an 8 year old girl on an otherwise empty beach. The ball gags are fine, but I would have kept the leashes, makes it more demeaning IMO, and it should be demeaning. Will wait to see it played out.
I thought the introduction of the Seanchan was cool - but that seems like a drastic waste of the One Power - to obliterate one little girl standing on the beach. And like, there were giant cliffs there, so the tidal wave isn't really going to hurt anyone besides her. Just why?
xenocide wrote: Actor playing Ishamael was good.
He didn't really do anything bad, but he didn't really add any value either.
Make up bags of change
xenocide

Post by xenocide »

From what I've read, sounds like they did some last minute shoe horning of Perrin into scenes intended for Mat.

One other big factor was apparently COVID restrictions caused them to lose access to all their trolloc-suit actors. So all the hand to hand/closer up shots like they did in episode one were not possible for episode 8. Makes the way they handled the battle for Tarwin's gap more understandable.

Here is a link to an interview with show runner Rafe taking about the season and the last episode. There are some story spoilers so read with caution.

https://www.cbr.com/wheel-of-time-rafe- ... interview/

Biggest interview takeaways for me:
Spoiler:
1. Loial is not dead

"Looking at Season 2 and what's to come for us, the characters who have almost nothing to do in Book 2 is Moiraine, and Lan, who are number one and two on the call sheet. You can't really sideline Rosamund Pike and Daniel Henney in a season of television. So we talked about Season 2 and Season 3 and what they look like in the writers' room while we were doing Season 1, so we could set it up correctly in the finale. That was the biggest story we had to figure out how to tell -- what is the Moiraine and Lan story in Season 2? They don't really have anything in the book."

So the general consensus seems to be that Moraine is not stilled but rather shielded with the shield tied off.

And from the interview it's clear they are inventing a new story line for Moraine and Lan so the main actors have more to do.

I think we can imply from this that:

Yes spoiler inside of spoiler. This is a major one so if you have not read the books already you should prob stay away
Spoiler:
no chance Moraine is gone for several books after dying/falling through the stone archway. My guess is Mat and Thom will rescue her one or two episodes after she falls in
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have still not watched the show (probably will when I finish Witcher S2) but have been reading some of the spoilery discussions on the show.

For those complaining about LTT being called the Dragon Reborn, I always thought LTT WAS a reincarnation of the Dragon and the books never defined a first one. The following WoT Fan Wiki agrees with that.

Wiki Link
The Dragon is the title for the male champion of the Light against the Dark One, and is always the reincarnation of a single particular soul. He is reborn in the Age of Legends and again in the Third Age
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, calling LTT the Dragon Reborn didn't faze me. He's not the first.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Zaxxon wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:59 pm Yeah, calling LTT the Dragon Reborn didn't faze me. He's not the first.
Yes, he is. He may not be the first avatar of Light, but he is absolutely the Dragon (the name is not a catch-all for the avatar of Light, it is the name specifically given to LTT in the aftermath of the breaking of the world). It's fundamental to why naming someone the Dragon Reborn is a *bad* thing.

From the wiki linked above:
wiki wrote:"And the Shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, and the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered to the eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World.

And him they named Dragon."
The "him" in this context is LTT.
Make up bags of change
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, Lews Therin is The Dragon. They screwed that up, maybe intentionally to make it more clear to those who haven't read the books how the Wheel of Time actually weaves.

Or maybe they just screwed up.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I mean, I didn’t really care anything about it while I was watching it. It’s just that no one called LTT the Dragon while he was alive, so it felt a little weird. In all honesty, it’s a bit of a plot hole in the lore of the books.

We get the circular nature of time in this series, BUT. The Dark One was sealed in his prison - outside this dimension - in the moment of creation, by the Creator. It wasn’t until they punched a hole in the prison in the Age of Legends that he could directly influence the Pattern.

So it’s a little weird that LTT would be just another guy in a long line, given those circumstances (outside of the assertion that humans have created the Bore over and over, and the Dragon keeps having to be reborn to close it).

Personally, I would have been better just referring to him as LTT and leaving it at that.

Book Spoiler:
Spoiler:
In the books, it is very clear (in multiple ways) that Rand is LTT reborn. When Rand starts hearing the voice, it’s unlikely to be an accident that it’s LTT in his head.
But it’s such a minor reason that I hated this episode that I’ll drop it. :)
Make up bags of change
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We just watched it. I feel like I should have hated it more, but at this point I think I'm just numb to their weird decisions. It also helps that I haven't read the book in 25 years, which helps me gloss over some of the more nitpicky differences.

Still, a lot bothers me. Watching their budget woes play out on the screen is cringe-inducing - it just makes me wonder what this would have looked like had HBO done this rather than Game of Thrones.

I'm glad people who haven't read the books are enjoying it, as I want fantasy television to be successful. But I can't un-know what I already know, so it makes watching it difficult.

My hope is that the success of the series and the (hopeful) waning of the pandemic over the course of the next year will lead to significant improvements. We all know that pilot seasons of any show can be rough until they find their stride. So I guess my current attitude is "disappointed but slightly optimistic."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just got it watched. I'll echo the 'WTF.'

For the non-readers, it isn't that they changed some of the details of the story, it's that they blew it up with dynamite, gathered up the rubble, and created something completely and totally different.

One thing that I felt throughout the series - none of the character 'moments' felt earned. They identify the dragon! In the books it was, "Holy shit!" In the show it was, "Oh." That's the simplest example, but every other pivotal moment for the other characters - they rushed it so much that there was none of the background or understanding to make any of it special.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I finished the first season recently. It’s fun at time, but I honestly didn’t see anything in either the story or the acting that would cause it to rise above all those 90’s sword and sorcery tv shows.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:30 pm I finished the first season recently. It’s fun at time, but I honestly didn’t see anything in either the story or the acting that would cause it to rise above all those 90’s sword and sorcery tv shows.
I guess the hook would be that it's based on an epic series, but since it doesn't actually follow...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:30 pm I finished the first season recently. It’s fun at time, but I honestly didn’t see anything in either the story or the acting that would cause it to rise above all those 90’s sword and sorcery tv shows.
At least there was a minimum of sword-twirling and backflips.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That is another knock against WoT, true.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

I had been waiting until I could binge these and I watched the last 6 episodes last night. My family was asking me afterwards if it was good and I said I couldn't answer. I've read the whole series and the first 10 books multiple times (at least 5x each). I was expecting to watch that story - but this isn't it. It's close, but twisted in some ways I can live with and others I don't think I can. That last episode - geesh! So coming from that perspective, I'd say it's not good. I don't think I'll be watching any further - there is too much to watch and following this further would probably just annoy me. I do think I'll go back and re-read the book again after I finish the latest Expanse, though, so it wasn't a total waste. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

They’ve made it clear that this show isn’t for hardcore fans. And I guess my question then is why the fuck not? No one else has been waiting 25+ years for this show.

The idea that you couldn’t do a faithful adaptation while also appealing to new fans is absurd.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or it's for fans who are willing to look at it as an 'alternate universe' take on the story.

Which is something I'm usually fine with, but I prefer to know that going in so I don't brush off minor divergences and then get broadsided by the final episode.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

RunningMn9 wrote:The idea that you couldn’t do a faithful adaptation while also appealing to new fans is absurd.
I think this is what bothers me more than anything. It's one of the most beloved fantasy series of all time. Why do you have to change it for the sake of changing it? Wouldn't it be better to satisfy both audiences instead of only one (particularly when there's no evidence that staying faithful to the book would alienate non-readers)?

I'm sure there are some changes that are necessary simply by virtue of translating from book to television - figuring ways around extended inner dialogue, the aforementioned need to have more Lan/Moiraine in Season 2 than there was in the books. But some of the stuff just doesn't make sense. I'd love to hear the writers' explanations for some of these decisions.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Five will get you ten it's as much the studio as it is the writers.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:13 pm I'm glad people who haven't read the books are enjoying it, as I want fantasy television to be successful.
I haven't read the books but I'm a pretty forgiving TV watcher - I enjoyed the last season of Game of Thrones and I can usually enjoy shows as long as they're well produced. But I bounced hard off WoT. I couldn't really follow the plot and by the penultimate episode I found I didn't really care to try. I didn't even bother to watch the finale.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I feel like they rushed it too much. They apparently wanted to get to the later parts faster, but they skipped everything that gave relevance to the events that (sort of) happened.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I’m rereading the books and just finished the ferry scene. They’ve dramatically changed the party’s motivations and situations to get you to commit. Egwene as written would come across badly on TV. Matt would have been more likable. Perrin would be unspecial but loyal sidekick. Rand’s boldness and defiance/love sickness would have been inconsistent.

The attack on the village is rewritten to tighten up the back-and-forth travel and too subtle for TV foreshadowing. Everything is amped up for dramatic effect — and less internal angst. The books simmer a long time, and the series has tried to quickly turn up the heat. Perhaps to the point of burning the meal.

I’ll watch but my wife believes they’ve missed so many opportunities with the source material’s story. And the production is wildly inconsistent — the costuming is terrible.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:46 pm I’m rereading the books and just finished the ferry scene. They’ve dramatically changed the party’s motivations and situations to get you to commit. Egwene as written would come across badly on TV. Matt would have been more likable. Perrin would be unspecial but loyal sidekick. Rand’s boldness and defiance/love sickness would have been inconsistent.
They seem to want Mat to bring more conflict, to be more of an 'is he a bad guy?' character.

When it comes right down to it, they probably changed it because a pack of angsty teenagers doesn't usually win over audiences for this type of show.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They did have some foreshadowing:
Spoiler:
On my second watch through I was looking for where Perrin saw Padan Fain for 0.2 seconds in the town. They included this segment in the recap for the next episode. Hmm, why is a peddler so important? :think:
Was any of that in the books?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:08 pm They did have some foreshadowing:
Spoiler:
On my second watch through I was looking for where Perrin saw Padan Fain for 0.2 seconds in the town. They included this segment in the recap for the next episode. Hmm, why is a peddler so important? :think:
Was any of that in the books?
Yes. Not quite like what they did, but similar.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
JCC

Post by JCC »

Just watched the first episode. I thought it was fantastic. Definitely some differences from the book, but not anything that bothered me very much. Loved the narration from Moirane at the end of the prologue of the books. Nice touch.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:13 pm It also helps that I haven't read the book in 25 years, which helps me gloss over some of the more nitpicky differences.
But I can't un-know what I already know, so it makes watching it difficult.
I got a late start on this and just finished up this afternoon. I read the first book around 93 (and was reading them as released through book 7 and then read 8-14 after I heard great reviews of Sanderson's work, likely 2014-2015). I've done a GREAT job of un-know-ing so very much of the story. After watching the first few episodes, I kind of got the bug to start a re-read, but based on what you guys are saying, I think I'll just let it be and let the show stand on its own.

I hardly remember anything story-wise. I remember the main characters and some of the concepts, but that's pretty much it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

The books are vastly superior to the show. If you are going to limit yourself to one form factor, it shouldn’t be this show. :)

And I had pretty high hopes from Episode 2 through 6. It’s just that the wheels came off in Episode 7 and Episode 8 was a train wreck.
Make up bags of change
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, I ended up spending the whole day on this. To give you guys context, I started reading the Wheel of Time 30 years ago when I was a freshman in college and only the first 3 books were out. I was instantly hooked. I think the final book in the series is a masterpiece.

As to the show...

By and large I found this adaptation fantastic. They changed things up a lot, but I thought most of it worked really well.

The glaring exception was the final episode. It pretty much... sucked. I don't think visual adaptations of books should be slaves to the written word. Things that worked in books don't always work on screen. But, the final episode was just... really bad. I also don't get why they left Mat out entirely of the final episode.

I did like the actor and unexpected look of Ishamael. But that whole "battle" was just ... shit.

I had zero issue with the diverse cast. If you want to argue that the Two Rivers' (small village) diversity wasn't plausible then fine. But, I just can't get worked up over this.

I will still be excited for season 2.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A couple of us were discussing it in a thread for discussing the show. It was an interesting side topic that's relevant to both the show and modern society, and caused a bit of introspection. I don't think anyone here got 'worked up', upset, or quit watching the show because of it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Correction: I did get upset when I realized that the show had Mark Wahlberg in it. He plays a small tree in episode 4. It's the one that keeps moving into every shot during a scene, then inexplicably yells at the cast members "say hi to your mother for me.".
Covfefe!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I do not hold them accountable for Mat. Episodes 7 and 8 came after the production had to break for COVID, and when they returned, the actor playing Mat was no longer available. So they had to remove him from the show until they can recast the part for next season.
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At least it was partially mitigated by J. K. Simmons as an uncredited stunt double for Loial.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:46 pm At least it was partially mitigated by J. K. Simmons as an uncredited stunt double for Loial.
Oh, so this show is live action? :ninja:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Freyland wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:04 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:46 pm At least it was partially mitigated by J. K. Simmons as an uncredited stunt double for Loial.
Oh, so this show is live action? :ninja:
SPOILERS, please!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

CALLBACK!
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

Sorry to hear the guy playing Mat won't be back. Really enjoyed his portrayal.
Black Lives Matter

EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Maybe I'm too stuck on the books. Everywhere I've went online today, almost every non-book reader loved the episode, so I guess I'm wrong and they know what they are doing.
I didn't love the episode. It was fine. It wasn't as good as the first 6 episoded but honestly, COVID issues have made it much harder to make even small scenes with just a few actors difficult, let alone large battle sequences. I'll forgive the obvious dip in quality. I didn't really notice Mat being absent but I don't know his story so I'm not really thinking about what he should be doing. I will agree that it seems they revealed who the Dragon Reborn is a bit quickly but I always just assumed that anyway. I think most people did. Overall, I'll be watching season 2 for certain.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni