Racism in America (with data)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by Blackhawk »

When can we start to mass-sue organizations for pushing objectively harmful misinformation and policies? I can think of a few media groups and political parties that would be first in line

It could be called the "Stop GOP Act."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:15 pm It could be called the "Stop GOP Act."
Mind the GOP.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That should be trademarked.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The recommendation was made ... 2 days ago.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

History is never as simple as we like to think it is. Some Native American tribes wrestle with their own legacy of slavery and racism even to this day:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-w ... story.html
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

Quantify discomfort.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:47 pm Quantify discomfort.

Doesn't matter. Likely doesn't even have to be the instructor. Could have a very well-meaning instructor and it would just take one asshat saying they weren't comfortable and events unfold from there.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:47 pm Quantify discomfort.

You white folk sure are a delicate bunch. :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
evanorah00

Post by evanorah00 »

Spam
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removal
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

evanorah00 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:04 pm quoted spam
LOL, at first I thought he was trying to arm whitey who feels discomfort.

[edit]Removed the quoted spam - ImLawBoy[/edit]
Last edited by Jaymann on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Please don't quote the bots.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:10 pm
You 0white folk sure are a delicate bunch. :lol:
My parents' 1950s high school Mississippi state history textbook taught that the KKK was made up of patriots keeping law and order when the Federal government wouldn't. Also, slavery was basically a support system for blacks who (given their lack of education and skill) wouldn't have been able to find productive work otherwise.

I could dig up their old copy, but I suspect that it's about to be reprinted anyway.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:30 pm Please don't quote the bots.
Like this?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:tjg:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I only quoted because my post would make no sense if the bot spam got deleted.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:56 pm
Then you should remove the link. Otherwise the bot still gets its free advertising.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Not sure if this should go here or voting rights or any of the other threads it might fit in:

Spoiler:
Omg this Mitch McConnell clip.
"African-American voters are voting in just as high a percentage as Americans."
So African-American voters aren't real Americans? :think:
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I mean it isn't like we didn't know what type of person he is. I see this more as a verbal gaffe than dog whistle type speech. He doesn't typically engage in that.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:56 pm
Yeah, I still edited your post to remove the text. Even with the link removed, I don't like the idea of letting the bots have their say in any way.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 am I mean it isn't like we didn't know what type of person he is. I see this more as a verbal gaffe than dog whistle type speech. He doesn't typically engage in that.
Maybe he's turned a page in 2022 and will finally just start saying out loud what's really in his heart. Considering how well it's worked for the rest of his party, why not?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:48 am
malchior wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 am I mean it isn't like we didn't know what type of person he is. I see this more as a verbal gaffe than dog whistle type speech. He doesn't typically engage in that.
Maybe he's turned a page in 2022 and will finally just start saying out loud what's really in his heart. Considering how well it's worked for the rest of his party, why not?
It's possible. He has been taking a lot of punches to the rhetorical mouth. I don't see his ethos changing though. He wants a rule of law order as long as he is in charge of which laws are passed and how they are interpreted. It is a very different ethos from Trump or the opportunists glomming onto his vengeance for white people by any means possible path - as long as he gets paid that is! They do generally move in the same direction though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The New York City Police Department has arrested a woman accused of harassing and spitting on an 8-year-old Jewish boy outside a Brooklyn synagogue last week, authorities said.

The woman, identified as 21-year-old Christina Darling, was charged with multiple counts including aggravated harassment as a hate crime, acting in a manner injurious to a child and menacing as a hate crime, the NYPD said on Friday. CNN has not been able to determine if Darling has legal representation.

The alleged incident took place last Friday police when said the woman approached three children outside the Kehal Tiferes Avrohom Ziditshov Orthodox synagogue. Police said she shouted "anti-Jewish statements" before spitting on the boy and walking away.

The children were not injured, police said.

The children's father, Aryah Fried, told CNN affiliate WCBS the woman said, "something along the lines of Hitler should have killed you all."

Fried said his son responded to the woman saying he would save his little sister, prompting the suspect to spit on his face and say, "we will kill you all, I know where you live, and we'll make sure to get you all next time."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh yea, what a darling.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:56 am
It's possible. He has been taking a lot of punches to the rhetorical mouth. I don't see his ethos changing though. He wants a rule of law order as long as he is in charge of which laws are passed and how they are interpreted. It is a very different ethos from Trump or the opportunists glomming onto his vengeance for white people by any means possible path - as long as he gets paid that is! They do generally move in the same direction though.
Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Evil
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not to clog up the SCOTUS thread but a nice lesson in a couple tweets here.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Found this amongst that twitter feed. It made me chuckle.

Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The caste system comes to America:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/30/us/csu-c ... index.html
Caste-oppressed students, who mostly hail from South Asian immigrant and diaspora backgrounds, say that casteism tends to manifest in US colleges and universities through slurs, microaggressions and social exclusion. But because these dynamics play out within these minority communities, most other Americans have little understanding of how they operate -- leaving these students, many of whom refer to themselves as Dalits, without recourse.

That was the experience for Pariyar, who is a Dalit Hindu and moved to the US from Nepal in 2015 in part, he said, to escape caste oppression. He said his family faced discrimination and violence from dominant caste Nepalis both because of their caste and their outspokenness on such injustices. By coming to the US, Pariyar assumed he would be leaving that all behind.

"I thought at that time that now I don't have to experience caste discrimination because the US is different. In the US, the South Asian diaspora, including the Nepali diaspora, are educated ... so they don't believe in caste discrimination," he said. "But I was wrong. Totally wrong."
Caste seemed to follow Pariyar even in California. Unlike other Dalits he encountered in the US, Pariyar didn't hide his last name, which gave away his caste identity. But he said he found that his transparency colored his interactions with caste-privileged Nepalis. He felt their tone of voice and behavior toward him change once they learned his full name. At gatherings in the homes of other community members, he said he would be given a plate of food while others were allowed to serve themselves -- implying that his handling of the food might somehow pollute it.

When Pariyar enrolled in a graduate program at Cal State East Bay in 2019, he found that he couldn't escape caste there either. While waiting at a Bay Area rapid transit station on one occasion, he encountered two Nepali students and introduced himself. Their conversation was warm, he said, until they asked for his name. When he told them, Pariyar said they looked him up and down and appeared uncomfortable. Their reaction was humiliating.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Whoopi opens mouth, inserts foot:
During the roundtable discussion, Goldberg said she was surprised that the nudity in "Maus" -- and not the Holocaust itself -- is what appeared to concern the school board, while co-host Joy Behar replied that the nudity concerns were likely "a canard to throw you off from the fact that they don't like history that makes White people look bad."

"Well, this is White people doing it to White people, so y'all gonna fight amongst yourselves," Goldberg said, referring to the Holocaust.

While none of the co-hosts pushed back after that statement, the conversation then turned to how some are attempting to ban problematic parts of the nation's history, particularly history dealing with race and racism, from being taught in schools.

Goldberg responded: "If you're going to do this, then let's be truthful about it because the Holocaust isn't about race." She added that the Holocaust, which saw an estimated 6 million Jews and 5 million others killed as a result of the Nazis' racist ideology, was about "man's inhumanity to man" and said it involved "two White groups of people."
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/entertai ... index.html
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, she's not that bright on this issue.

Plus, MAUS does depict racism against blacks in the post-war portions of the story.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:58 pm Whoopi opens mouth, inserts foot:
During the roundtable discussion, Goldberg said she was surprised that the nudity in "Maus" -- and not the Holocaust itself -- is what appeared to concern the school board, while co-host Joy Behar replied that the nudity concerns were likely "a canard to throw you off from the fact that they don't like history that makes White people look bad."

"Well, this is White people doing it to White people, so y'all gonna fight amongst yourselves," Goldberg said, referring to the Holocaust.

While none of the co-hosts pushed back after that statement, the conversation then turned to how some are attempting to ban problematic parts of the nation's history, particularly history dealing with race and racism, from being taught in schools.

Goldberg responded: "If you're going to do this, then let's be truthful about it because the Holocaust isn't about race." She added that the Holocaust, which saw an estimated 6 million Jews and 5 million others killed as a result of the Nazis' racist ideology, was about "man's inhumanity to man" and said it involved "two White groups of people."
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/entertai ... index.html
She’s ridiculous and really deserves to be raked over the coals for such a ludicrous position. Between this nonsense and various politicians trotting out inappropriate Holocaust references we need to have a Holocaust 101 class.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wonder what she thinks of the Rwandan genocide.

January 27 was Holocaust Rem Day, is this why all these idiotic Holocaust comparisons and denials are coming out lately? My wife had a call with her father on 1/27. He's a holocaust survivor and she came away crying after hearing him saying we're going down that path again.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW she apologized for getting it wrong.

Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm a pedant, but "never waiver" there should be "never waver."
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'd also add in that as a man-made (rather than scientific) categorization, it's perhaps not very surprising that "race" has not been consistent in history.

Jews and various other groups (arabs, hispanics, native americans, indians, etc) have at times been considered white and at times been considered non-white.

(I will say that I would prefer if people used prejudice/prejudiced over racism/racist, since I've seen some lazy people use it as a catchall for any form of hatred, including against gender or sexual orientation, and prejudice would make much more sense as a catchall.)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I've been using bigot/bigoted because it conveys a little more maliciousness than prejudice.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Yeah, that works too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
The View co-host Whoopi Goldberg has been suspended from the show for two weeks, effective immediately, according to a statement late Tuesday from ABC News President Kin Godwin.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Damn indoctrination!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman