Racism in America (with data)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Racism in America (with data)

Post by Holman »

I've just seen it pointed out that anti-CRT laws will make it illegal for historically black colleges and universities to explain why they exist.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm open to the whole Freedom Convoy being run by Russian disinformation geniuses at this point. [/sarcasm]

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's a caravan at the border!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Did not see this one coming...

Spoiler:
SPEAKING OUT: @TuckerCarlson guest Michele Tafoya left her job as a NFL sideline reporter in order to have a voice against CRT and other radically progressive policies.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The right's ability to flip things around never ceases to amaze me.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:54 am The right's ability to flip things around never ceases to amaze me.
The best way to perpetuate an injustice is to convince people that it doesn't exist. How you get there doesn't matter.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It breaks my heart that skin color matters and there are people who refuse to believe that it does.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
A jury has found the three White men who killed Ahmaud Arbery in 2020 guilty on a federal hate crime charge, backing prosecutors' case that the men chased the 25-year-old through the streets of a Georgia neighborhood because he was Black.

Travis McMichael, Gregory McMichael and their neighbor William "Roddie" Bryan were all found guilty of one count of interference of rights, a federal hate crime charge.

They could now receive up to life in prison and steep fines for the federal convictions.

Additionally, Travis McMichael, 36, who fatally shot Arbery, was also found guilty on a charge of using and carrying a Remington shotgun, while his father, Gregory, 66, was found guilty of using and carrying a .357 Magnum revolver. 

The verdict, coming after more than three hours of deliberations Monday and Tuesday, was read in federal court in Brunswick, Georgia.

The McMichaels and Bryan were previously given life sentences after being convicted in a state court in November of felony murder and other charges for the killing of Arbery, a Black man, after they chased him in a neighborhood outside Brunswick in February 2020.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

As a non gun-owner, I need this filled in.

What exactly does this mean:

Additionally, Travis McMichael, 36, who fatally shot Arbery, was also found guilty on a charge of using and carrying a Remington shotgun, while his father, Gregory, 66, was found guilty of using and carrying a .357 Magnum revolver. 
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DOJ
Travis and Gregory McMichael were also charged with one count each of using, carrying, and brandishing—and in Travis’s case, discharging—a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:11 pm As a non gun-owner, I need this filled in.

What exactly does this mean:

In commission of a hate crime/act of violence, they brought and used/brandished firearms. Add-on charges.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ok. So it’s nothing to do with being ‘licensed to carry’.

It’s just an add-on, like ‘hate crime’ itself is.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:52 pm Ok. So it’s nothing to do with being ‘licensed to carry’.

Being federal charges, no LTC.

FWIW, in Georgia there is no license required for the shotgun if carried openly. The revolver requires a permit to be carried openly or concealed.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:26 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:52 pm Ok. So it’s nothing to do with being ‘licensed to carry’.

Being federal charges, no LTC.
This was what threw me off, when I read the phrase ‘charged for carrying’ on the federal charge.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

3 officers found guilty on federal charges in George Floyd’s killing
The former officers, J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao, all were convicted of depriving Floyd of his civil rights while acting under government authority when they failed to give him medical aid. Kueng and Thao, additionally, were convicted of not intervening to stop their fellow officer Derek Chauvin from using excessive force.

Thao, Kueng and Lane each face up to life in prison, although such a severe punishment is unlikely. The men are scheduled for trial in June on state charges of aiding and abetting murder and manslaughter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This seems like a new precedent?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What kind of a "man" punches a defenseless young woman in the face as hard as he can while calling her the n word?

A Proud Boy, that's who.

I hate cancel culture and even I'm okay with this piece of shit getting fired and losing his friends. That's how disturbing the video of him punching that poor girl is.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:04 am What kind of a "man" punches a defenseless young woman in the face as hard as he can while calling her the n word?

A Proud Boy, that's who.

I hate cancel culture and even I'm okay with this piece of shit getting fired and losing his friends. That's how disturbing the video of him punching that poor girl is.
It looks like someone got a few good licks on him there but yeah, absolutely disgusting. He will lose his current job but he'll have a place of honor in the Proud Boys terrorist network.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:04 am What kind of a "man" punches a defenseless young woman in the face as hard as he can while calling her the n word?

A Proud Boy, that's who.

Akron police are also considering an added ethnic intimidation charge.
Considering? How weak is that statute?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I grew up in that area, so I can say it's probably pretty weak. :(
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:30 am

A Proud Boy, that's who.

Akron police are also considering an added ethnic intimidation charge.
Considering? How weak is that statute?
I also assume there's some risk-reward calculation going on. Would it complicate the case? How sure are the existing charges and would the add-on add significant time?

Is there a lot more paperwork?

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Perhaps he needed to deliver each blow with a clear declaration of her non-white status?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm assuming he'll go with the "not racism because: intoxication" defense.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:20 pm I'm assuming he'll go with the "not racism because: intoxication" defense.
For sure, it's literally the only thing he has going for him and it's not even a real mitigating excuse. I'd say he's fuct but we'll see.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As the article points out, that area (Highland Square) is a liberal stronghold in Akron. One of the few, I might add. I have to wonder if this would have been swept under the rug had it happened elsewhere.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:58 pm As the article points out, that area (Highland Square) is a liberal stronghold in Akron. One of the few, I might add. I have to wonder if this would have been swept under the rug had it happened elsewhere.
Not with that video.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

True. We live in a different time now....which has its ups and downs. This being one of the upsides, though.

I had to shake my head in astonishment when I realized this happened near Annabelles. That was my constant hang out after college (I lived literally right across the street). It was also always filled with a mix of people who would have been shocked by such an action. My guess is he went there with the intent to cause trouble in some way. Or at least a hope he would.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Breonna Taylor: Ex-officer Brett Hankinson found not guilty in deadly raid
A former Louisville police detective has been found not guilty of recklessly endangering neighbours during the chaotic night-time raid that led to the death of Breonna Taylor.

Brett Hankinson fired 10 shots during the incident, which took place during a "no-knock" search of the black woman's home in Kentucky in March 2020.

In court, Mr Hankinson maintained he did nothing wrong during the melee.

Ms Taylor's death sparked racial injustice rallies across America.

Mr Hankinson, 45, was the only officer charged in the case.

The jury delivered the verdict on Thursday about three hours after closing arguments wrapped in the week-long trial, clearing him on all three wanton endangerment charges.

In dramatic court testimony on Wednesday, Mr Hankinson said he believed he was coming under automatic weapons fire during the raid. He described seeing silhouettes and muzzle flashes after police used a battering ram to knock down Ms Taylor's door.

During the raid, Ms Taylor's boyfriend shot and wounded one of the officers. Mr Hankinson said he quickly turned a corner and opened fire to "stop the threat".

A total of 32 shots were fired. Prosecutors alleged some were by Mr Hankinson as he entered a neighbouring flat, endangering three people inside: Cody Etherson, his pregnant wife Chelsey Napper, and their five-year-old son.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"automatic weapons fire..."

Ah, the old bogeyman...

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

The jury essentially blessed blind fire by cops. Everyone else he was with didn't fire because they couldn't see an attacker. Rambo started firing through walls. Cool. This is why we have such a problem with the police. People literally won't hold police accountable except for the most egregious conduct.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Banking While Black
The director of hit superhero film Black Panther was mistaken for a bank robber as he tried to take money out of his own account in the US, a police report has revealed.

Ryan Coogler was briefly arrested after trying to withdraw $12,000 (£9,100) from the Atlanta bank in January.

The teller had reportedly told her boss she suspected an attempted robbery after misinterpreting the situation.

Mr Coogler told US outlet TMZ the "situation should never have happened".

However, the 35-year-old said Bank of America had since "worked with me and addressed it to my satisfaction and we have moved on".

According to the police report, which was obtained by the entertainment website, Mr Coogler - reportedly wearing a covid face mask, as well as sunglasses and a hat - handed the teller a withdrawal slip with a note saying he wanted $12,000 from his checking account.

The note also asked for the money to be counted somewhere else, ending "I'd like to be discreet". He also showed identification. The New York Times reported that he told police he was paying for a medical assistant who worked for his family and sought discretion over safety concerns due to the cash amount he requested.

The teller, who is black, as is Mr Coogler, was pregnant and worried about her safety at the time, according to the newspaper.

The transaction triggered an automatic notification as it was over $10,000, at which point the teller told her boss she suspected a robbery, and the police were called.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Stand your ground:

Frankly, both the theater/popcorn shooter and this guy should have gone to prison, but it’s Florida.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:48 am Banking While Black
The director of hit superhero film Black Panther was mistaken for a bank robber as he tried to take money out of his own account in the US, a police report has revealed.

Ryan Coogler was briefly arrested after trying to withdraw $12,000 (£9,100) from the Atlanta bank in January.

The teller had reportedly told her boss she suspected an attempted robbery after misinterpreting the situation.

Mr Coogler told US outlet TMZ the "situation should never have happened".

However, the 35-year-old said Bank of America had since "worked with me and addressed it to my satisfaction and we have moved on".

According to the police report, which was obtained by the entertainment website, Mr Coogler - reportedly wearing a covid face mask, as well as sunglasses and a hat - handed the teller a withdrawal slip with a note saying he wanted $12,000 from his checking account.

The note also asked for the money to be counted somewhere else, ending "I'd like to be discreet". He also showed identification. The New York Times reported that he told police he was paying for a medical assistant who worked for his family and sought discretion over safety concerns due to the cash amount he requested.

The teller, who is black, as is Mr Coogler, was pregnant and worried about her safety at the time, according to the newspaper.

The transaction triggered an automatic notification as it was over $10,000, at which point the teller told her boss she suspected a robbery, and the police were called.
You have to admit it's a slightly odd request, and done via note rather than just talking to the teller, who would probably have told him to meet with a manager/banker. It's over $10K which pegs red flags. Any time I've done cash transactions over $10K I call ahead. The bank appreciates it.

Also, I know in Illinois you're not supposed to wear hats or sunglasses inside the bank. Masks are allowed now because of COVID but they still have the no sunglasses/hats/hoodies signs. No idea about Georgia.

All that said, I don't doubt there was some racial profiling involved. Conclusions jumped to very quickly.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you walk into a bank, face completely covered, and give the cashier a note saying that you want them to give you a large sum of money, and that you want them to do so in a back room where no one can see, you're going to raise a LOT of red flags. And a lot of banks aren't going to risk employees' safety by following along.

I get why a celebrity would go in with their face covered. And I get why someone wanting to make a large withdrawal wouldn't want to announce it out loud in public, but that was a very poorly conceived way to handle it. He genuinely hit every check box for a robbery.

And he's a smart guy. I'm sure when he thought it over, he smacked himself in the head and wondered what he was thinking.

Maybe race was involved at some point, but it didn't show up in the story as reported. This is an incident that I could 100 percent see playing out the same way with a white man.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

He provided identification and a withdrawal slip.

That’s all I’ve ever done.

Other than the note , what makes it seem like a robbery?

Oh the hat and glasses.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I mean, if you are trying to be discrete , you wouldn’t want to say aloud, “Let’s count that out somewhere more private”
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, you say, "Hi, I'd like to speak to a manager privately.". You give said manager the slip and ID (and uncover your face.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:47 amThis is an incident that I could 100 percent see playing out the same way with a white man.
I'm with you up until this point. I firmly believe that if I, a clean-cut white male, did the same exact thing the cops would not have been called. I'm sure the bank would be suspicious, but I bet their first instinct would be to ask me more questions rather than calling the cops.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Can a black person (the teller) racially profile another black person (the customer)?
He/Him/His/Porcupine