Witcher series by Netflix

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: Witcher series by Netflix

Post by RunningMn9 »

There’s a 0.0% chance that I’m watching anyone other than Henry Cavill as Geralt.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll give him a shot. I wasn't sold on Cavill when it was announced (in my mind, it was either Mads or no one), but he did a good job. Also, it's impossible to avoid a Hemsworth these days when it comes to the movie and tv industry, so you may as well stop struggling.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not enthused. But I've been wrong in the past, so I'll still give it a chance.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm mainly unenthused for the rest of the cast. It may all work out, but that seems like a shitty thing to do as the lead of the series.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll be honest, if WB rolled up to his house with a truck full of 100 dollar bills, I can't really blame him.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's also worth noting that he hasn't been getting (taking?) movie rolls since starting The Witcher. Film actors are generally considered a step above TV actors in Hollywood, and he may have been worried about becoming more recognized as a TV actor. He may have just decided that it's time to get his career back where he wants it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At this point he IS Superman. I wouldn't want a new Superman movie and it not be Henry.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'm guessing he signed a contract for 3 seasons and COVID-19 made it an even longer proposition than everyone thought. Knowing Netflix, a three season deal seems like a solid bet as they notoriously end shows without hesitation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if S4 was the final season and they're just hoping it pulls in enough interest to justify the continued costs. This also suggests the Witcher IP is making them money and they want so badly for it to continue.

Either way, I am curious as to how they'll handle it. Cavil is amazing as Geralt, but he's also physically much larger than Geralt ever was - but that's ok because he was so good as Geralt. Liam is a better fit (physically) but if he can't pull of the character it won't matter.

Either way, it does free up Cavil for Superman and DC desperately needs a boost. Interesting times.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Although I cant see a woman playing Geralt I could see a different actor per season sorta like Dr Who. If someone doesn't like one then maybe the next one is mroe for them.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Daehawk wrote:At this point he IS Superman. I wouldn't want a new Superman movie and it not be Henry.
This, except replace “Superman” with “Geralt”. I don’t have to struggle watching a Hemsworth ruin it, the series will just end after Season 3 in my universe.
Make up bags of change
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:45 am At this point he IS Superman. I wouldn't want a new Superman movie and it not be Henry.
I dunno, but personally I haven't cared much for the Superman movies he's been in, which is down to the direction they've taken with the character.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:34 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:45 am At this point he IS Superman. I wouldn't want a new Superman movie and it not be Henry.
I dunno, but personally I haven't cared much for the Superman movies he's been in, which is down to the direction they've taken with the character.
Right, but as of a few days ago that direction is now being handled by James Gunn. I can't see him making grimdark Synderverse films.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh good point. I hadn't considered that. Might be the shot in the arm that DC needs, and bringing back some optimism to Superman might be a good way to go about it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not a Snyder fan.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, even the Justice League Director's Cut felt like one bad missed opportunity after another. Too overly long and boring with bad CGI.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:14 am There’s a 0.0% chance that I’m watching anyone other than Henry Cavill as Geralt.
I'm incredibly disappointed with this news. I thought Cavill was knocking it out of the park as Geralt. Hard to imagine him being replaced not being jarring and difficult to watch.

That said, as much as I'd like to say I won't watch without Cavill . . . I know I will.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
naednek

Post by naednek »

As someone who loves superman, I don't want another superman movie as each one get worse. He should have stayed as Geralt.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I watched a video yesterday with someone claiming this was the death-knell of the show, that they shouldn't even have continued it after Cavill left, and that they won't be watching it with Helmsworth in it. While I won't go that far, I think it will be difficult to watch someone else embody the role. We've still got one more season with Cavill though, so it's not all bad. One's got to wonder though how much their viewership numbers will tank as a result of the change though.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Is it even that popular of a show? I would of thought they would have just said screw it when he quit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:07 pm Is it even that popular of a show? I would of thought they would have just said screw it when he quit.
It's more important than most for Netflix. They have a larger deal with the showrunner, spin-offs, etc. I am a little surprised that they didn't have a larger deal in place with Cavill to prevent exactly this situation.

I mean, this is worse for the show and the Netflix Witcherverse than Patrick Stewart saying fuck it after a few seasons of TNG would have been to the Star Trek 'verse.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll still watch. Just because Cavill was perfect doesn't meant that someone else can't be great. If he sucks, that's when I'll stop watching.

Not watching on principle seems... odd.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I certainly hope the series continues for the full intended run. It's disappointing that Cavill is leaving, but the cast is chock-full of talent, not to mention all the people working on it off-camera. I look forward to see what they all have in store.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:10 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:07 pm Is it even that popular of a show? I would of thought they would have just said screw it when he quit.
It's more important than most for Netflix. They have a larger deal with the showrunner, spin-offs, etc. I am a little surprised that they didn't have a larger deal in place with Cavill to prevent exactly this situation.

I mean, this is worse for the show and the Netflix Witcherverse than Patrick Stewart saying fuck it after a few seasons of TNG would have been to the Star Trek 'verse.
Yeah, I see what you're getting at. While they may have been able to perhaps replace Patrick Stewart with another Captain character, with the Witcher, it's literally about that character, so if the performance doesn't stack up, the show likely will suffer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:42 pm I watched a video yesterday with someone claiming this was the death-knell of the show, that they shouldn't even have continued it after Cavill left, and that they won't be watching it with Helmsworth in it.
Angry guy videos are hard to find on YouTube! :P
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, like a needle in a haystack! :lol: To be fair, he wasn't as bad as some others who I'd be expecting to be frothing at the mouth.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:16 pm Not watching on principle seems... odd.
It’s the difference between watching Geralt, and watching someone pretend to be Geralt. Cavill is that good.
Make up bags of change
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

^ Yeah, that's it. I mean, it's the difference between an actor who can embody a role by really being committed to it and then someone else can simply act it. I think Cavill might be a method actor, but I don't get the impression that Liam Helmsworth is.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I should point out that I feel this way, despite Spartacus, which had to recast Spartacus because the first actor died after the first season. It was *very difficult* to watch the two following seasons with the new actor.

He didn’t do a bad job, he just wasn’t Spartacus. I expect it will be even worse in this case, simply because Cavill *is* Geralt.
Make up bags of change
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'll wait to see how he does before I pass judgement. It's not like they hired Mark Wahlberg, for christ's sake.

"Yo, Foltest, say hi to your mother for me."
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I dont know.....it's not like The Withcer is Shakespeare and Cavill is Laurence Olivier or something.
He grunted out a handful of dialogue, took off his shirt a couple of times, kept his wig on straight and swung a sword around.
It's a good show, but not that deep.
As long as they keep the stories somewhat interesting, I think it'll be fine.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If we survived the changing of Dicks of Bewitched, I'm confident we can solider through a new Geralt. It sucks but the other option is no Witcher. I'd rather try this than have it just end. If it sucks, it sucks and they'll never take S1-3 from us. But I'm not entirely ready to completely write off the show even if this feels like a nearly fatal blow.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Besides, everyone knows that Geralt is just a supporting character in Ciri's story. It's really all about her. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Shows what little you know. The series has always been about Roach...

...come to think of it, Wahlberg might be okay as Roach.

Ah, who am I kidding. That would be a disaster.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im seeing more postings that his leaving was due to him not agreeing with producers. In something like this Id side with the nerd actor who knows his stuff.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There were comments from him from a few years ago about how his taking the role and staying on was conditional on them being true to the source material.

Then there have been rumors about him being at odds with the writers and producers a lot, especially during season 2.

And then we have the interview a short while back about the writers despising the material.
"I've been on show - namely Witcher - where some of the writers were not or actively disliked the books and games (even actively mocking the source material)," DeMayo explained. "It's a recipe for disaster and bad morale.
So, yeah - it seems likely that this was all tied into his reasons for leaving.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:12 am I should point out that I feel this way, despite Spartacus, which had to recast Spartacus because the first actor died after the first season. It was *very difficult* to watch the two following seasons with the new actor.

He didn’t do a bad job, he just wasn’t Spartacus. I expect it will be even worse in this case, simply because Cavill *is* Geralt.
Yeah, good comparison! It was super confusing to watch because the two actors really looked nothing alike. Viewers hear the name called out, and you expect the actor to turn around to look behind him or something. I suppose, with being a fantasy, more can be done with makeup to make Liam look more like Geralt, but still.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:16 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:12 am I should point out that I feel this way, despite Spartacus, which had to recast Spartacus because the first actor died after the first season. It was *very difficult* to watch the two following seasons with the new actor.

It was super confusing to watch because the two actors really looked nothing alike.
Oh, come on. Major productions never do that.
Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, and it's not like they can just recast the same actor in a different role in a show either.

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But to be fair, if you get the great Garret Dillahunt on your show, you're going to use him as much as you possibly can. I mean, that's the smart move by savvy writers/directors.

....then there's Fear the Walking Dead.
He won. Period.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hrothgar wrote:Oh, come on. Major productions never do that.
Enlarge Image
The first guy was on the show for like 3 minutes and was not a main character.

Imagine after Season 3, they decided to recast Cersei with Stiffler’s Mom.
Make up bags of change