Witcher series by Netflix

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Witcher series by Netflix

Post by Blackhawk »

I understand that the Third Witcher is going to be a woman.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, minor characters don't really count, and in fact many of them tend to be recast often in the course of a show. It's very noticeable when it's main character driving the show that gets recast.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:07 pm Yeah, minor characters don't really count, and in fact many of them tend to be recast often in the course of a show. It's very noticeable when it's main character driving the show that gets recast.
Indeed, and especially when it's not an ensemble show. My earlier analogy to this being similar to Patrick Stewart leaving TNG (as he was the most well-known actor in the show at the time) was too mild. This is like Stewart leaving Picard after season 2.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

All signs point to this being a terrible, terrible decision. But I just cannot give up on everything Witcher until I see how bad it is upon release. There's a chance (likely tiny) that it's not horrific. Hope!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:13 am All signs point to this being a terrible, terrible decision. But I just cannot give up on everything Witcher until I see how bad it is upon release. There's a chance (likely tiny) that it's not horrific. Hope!
Yeah, my hope is that it's mainly Cavill being a Witcher Originalist™ and mostly just that. Since I haven't played the games or read the books, I have a small (small!) hope that it'll all be fine, since I did enjoy the 2nd season even despite its apparently-numerous departures from the source material.

But Cavill is Geralt for me, so I'm also bracing for the worst.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I gave Cowboy Bebop a chance and look where that got me! ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:06 am
Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:07 pm Yeah, minor characters don't really count, and in fact many of them tend to be recast often in the course of a show. It's very noticeable when it's main character driving the show that gets recast.
Indeed, and especially when it's not an ensemble show. My earlier analogy to this being similar to Patrick Stewart leaving TNG (as he was the most well-known actor in the show at the time) was too mild. This is like Steward leaving Picard after season 2.
Yep, good analogy. It'd be like replacing Patrick Stewart with John Malkovich. It would be a heck of a thing to get used to and it would be too noticeable. After a certain point, there's a diminishing return in what recasting you can get away with, especially when it's a lead character.

As for the Darren example from Betwitched that others pointed out, I don't think that one really matters either. He was part of an ensemble, and was never much of a focus, ie he was never the main character. Sure, the change in actor was awkward and took some getting used to, but that one can also be played off as magic. She was tired of his face and changed it, tada! She always gets what she wants... ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The better example would be Buffy, but we're going in circles.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If nothing else, Netflix has certainly found a way to keep people talking about the show for at least the next year or so, depending on how far out season 4 happens to be.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I should’ve thrown my hat in the ring. What the world really needs is an overaged, out of shape Geralt trying desperately to find good cheese.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Geralt wears pants.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He can grow as a character.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's more of a show-er.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just for that, I’m recasting Roach. Be at wardrobe for a saddle fitting tomorrow.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:50 pm Just for that, I’m recasting Roach. Be at wardrobe for a saddle fitting tomorrow.
That would be in keeping with the source material. Henry Cavill would be pleased. Geralt recasts Roach all the time (named after the fish, not the insect, by the way.)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

For you, BH...

An ex-coworker posted this on Facebook:
I keep seeing posts about Henry Cavill leaving the Witcher to play Superman, but how about they make a show where he gets to play Warhammer 40k Imperial Commissar Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium?
Someone replied:
That would be the only show where you have to buy each minute of the episode separately, and edit it yourself
I chuckled. And it made me think of you. If not for previous comments from you regarding Games Workshop, that would have gone over my head. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just don't use a third party tools, as they are copyrighting the concept of 'editing.'
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Conform or be cast out!
JCC

Post by JCC »

So, it has been announced that the DCCU is rebooting Superman with a younger actor. So Cavill quit the Witcher show... for nothing?
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He probably didn't leave because of Superman (although it may have made his decision easier.)
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:12 pm There were comments from him from a few years ago about how his taking the role and staying on was conditional on them being true to the source material.

Then there have been rumors about him being at odds with the writers and producers a lot, especially during season 2.

And then we have the interview a short while back about the writers despising the material.
"I've been on show - namely Witcher - where some of the writers were not or actively disliked the books and games (even actively mocking the source material)," DeMayo explained. "It's a recipe for disaster and bad morale.
So, yeah - it seems likely that this was all tied into his reasons for leaving.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He was getting something like 1 million per episode. That's a lot of money to turn down because you don't like the story. I'm sure the Superman thing was a big part of it. It's amazing how much better the Marvel stuff is done vs DC.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

These major actors have 10s of millions of dollars if not 100s of millions. They can afford to have it their way.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

dbt1949 wrote:These major actors have 10s of millions of dollars if not 100s of millions. They can afford to have it their way.
Maybe, but don't forget the Nicholas Cage saga where he had to take every single shit job which came his way because he cheated on his taxes and was crappy with his money in other ways too.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Henry is blowing all his money on computer rigs and Warhammer mini figures. He will be fine. Or have the biggest army ever.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:40 pm He probably didn't leave because of Superman (although it may have made his decision easier.)
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:12 pm There were comments from him from a few years ago about how his taking the role and staying on was conditional on them being true to the source material.

Then there have been rumors about him being at odds with the writers and producers a lot, especially during season 2.

And then we have the interview a short while back about the writers despising the material.
"I've been on show - namely Witcher - where some of the writers were not or actively disliked the books and games (even actively mocking the source material)," DeMayo explained. "It's a recipe for disaster and bad morale.
So, yeah - it seems likely that this was all tied into his reasons for leaving.
The timing implies that at the very least he used the opportunity of returning to the Superman role as an excuse to walk away from The Witcher.

There's a story going around that Gunn dislikes Cavill, so it'll be interesting to see if there is the same sort of fan backlash against Gunn/DC for dumping Cavill as we've seen for the recasting of Geralt.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Seems weird he'd dislike Cavill. They both appear to have some great nerd cred and honestly love the stuff they're making.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Gunn's response to some rando tweeting about his dislike of Cavill was so over the top that it makes me wonder if there might actually be something to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

James Gunn has brutal response to claim he doesn’t like Henry Cavill
James Gunn has shut down rumours that he does not like Henry Cavill.

The newly appointed co-chair and co-CEO of DC Studios was asked numerous questions by fans on Twitter about the future of DC movies.

On a different Twitter thread, Gunn, 56, also responded to a fan who tweeted that the filmmaker does not like Cavill.
The fan who posted the original claim responded: “Even more ppl have reached out to me since you said this to tell me you really don’t like him. Just saying what I heard.”

Gunn responded: “So weird. You seemed so plugged in! Anyway, I just had forty people reach out to me to say you just got kicked out of your mom’s basement. So sorry, man.”
Anyway, I wasn't pondering whether Gunn actually dislikes Cavill so much as whether there will be a perception that he does and if the move to recast Superman will get a similar reaction as the recasting of Geralt.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I feel bad for Cavill. He walks away from the Witcher hoping to fallback on Superman. Meanwhile changes are brewing at Warner and DC with management changes and what he thought was secure isn't. And honestly, it seems like DC has been really struggling with consistency. There are so many reboots. How many times do we need Batman and Superman origin stories? First they fired Gadot, then they fire Cavill, and what comes next might be yet another reboot. Wonder Woman felt like a turning point for DC, like they had hit on something that had great potential for DC, but err nope, kill that too. Face it, the only thing DC seems to be good at doing are reboots, but they don't seem to know how to keep a good thing going.

Someone please give Cavill a Sherlock Holmes series. He was great in Enola Holmes 2.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I still don't think Cavil intended to stay with the Witcher tv show after 3 years. He was probably taking a calculated risk that Netflix would likely cancel it after 3 seasons, regardless. Plus, I'm sure the filming schedule prohibited him from doing other work - like movies. Sure, not getting the Superman gig again sucks, but I don't think he dropped The Witcher thinking Superman was a definite thing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:38 pm I still don't think Cavil intended to stay with the Witcher tv show after 3 years. He was probably taking a calculated risk that Netflix would likely cancel it after 3 seasons, regardless. Plus, I'm sure the filming schedule prohibited him from doing other work - like movies. Sure, not getting the Superman gig again sucks, but I don't think he dropped The Witcher thinking Superman was a definite thing.
I think Cavill would have stuck with Witcher had he been fully on-board with the creative direction. I mean, it's basically a dream role for him.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Possibly - I'm sure that didn't help. But Netflix really doesn't have a good history for supporting shows not named Stranger Things and he might be thinking that as a ~40 year old guy his shelf-life for certain bigger roles might be disappearing. Even if he was fully onboard with the creative stuff for the show, there's no way I'd trust Netflix to keep it going.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't know if he would have quit the Witcher if he had known he wouldn't be able to go back to being Superman. You can clearly see he thought he could go right back to being Superman, only for Gunn to make a decision not to cast him, which itself seems really sudden.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like Netflix is fighting back (or at least some of the people behind The Witcher).

To be fair, I obviously have no idea what's true. But these new allegations that Cavill had become a gaming addict who started espousing gamersgate crap and treating women like dirt seem dubious to me. They're even trying to say now that this is why he won't be back as Superman.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That seems like something that would have come out before now if it was true, but I would have said that of a lot of things that have come to light in the #metoo era. For one example, I never would have thought Joss Whedon was a complete jerk until we suddenly found out that Joss Whedon was a complete jerk to a lot of people that he worked with.

JCC

Post by JCC »

I have no idea if those allegations about Cavill are true. But, that is a far more logical reason for him not being Geralt or Superman than any other explanation I have read. So, I lean towards towards believing them.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would expect Cavil had an alliance with writers to keep closer to the video game, and other writers wanted to shift towards “Game of Thrones” titillation where Geralt was the sex object, rather than his female conquests/distractions. The Ciri / Yennifer storylines are powerful and critical, but you can see Cavil insisting the focus must remain on Geralt — and that being taken badly.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant say I know Henry but Im far more trusting of his view than some place he disagreed with publicly and left. He has never seemed anything other than a nice intelligent guy that knows his craft and hobbys. Ill stay team Henry thanks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that sounds counter to so much what we know of him. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would do that, rather he comes across rather respectful. It sounds to me like Gunn's decision was made before Cavill got into contact with him, and the plan was likely already in motion to recast. Could it be his love of the Witcher made him difficult to work with producers that were rather against adhering closely to the source material? I don't doubt it, but only within the context of what we've heard, which isn't an indication that he was toxic overall. They butted heads over the direction, is how I see it. But someone seems to be painting it as behavior issue. Like the point about refusing to do any further nude scenes, doesn't strike me as an absurd demand, but actors often make that demand, like for instance Emilia Clarke's demand about not wanting to do any further nude scenes for GoT.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont get why they seem to want to go off course of a popular show thats popular because its a lot like the game character its named after. I mean why would they even hire writers that hate the witcher to work on their show the witcher. They seem to be trying to commit suicide upon themselves. Hari- kari away. Carve and slash slash and burn. Its strange.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"