Witcher series by Netflix

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: Witcher series by Netflix

Post by Rumpy »

I get that he would be frustrated and that he'd possibly try talking to like-minded people into having the producers understand his objections. And who could blame him really? It sounds like there was a lot of friction at the heart of whatever happened between he and the producers, and that the whole situation has derailed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its troubling that the company seems to want to take it public and defame mr Cavill. This is his great work and livelihood.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Daehawk wrote:Its troubling that the company seems to want to take it public and defame mr Cavill. This is his great work and livelihood.
It’s possible that Cavill is a shit heel on set and they want to make sure that people know that he’s not leaving the show because they were mismanaging the property.

I personally don’t care why he left, I’m still not watching someone else play Geralt.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not a huge leap to go from being someone who talks about being afraid to ask a woman on a date because it might lead to him being accused of being a rapist to being someone who doesn't respect women in the workplace.

From 2018: Henry Cavill: Actor apologises after #MeToo rape backlash
Superman actor Henry Cavill has apologised for claiming that the #MeToo movement has left him scared to date women for fear of being "called a rapist".

In a statement, Cavill addressed the "confusion and misunderstanding" over his GQ interview.

"Insensitivity was absolutely not my intention", he continued, confirming he holds women in "the highest regard".
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The cultural shifts have left a lot of people intimidated and confused when it comes to how to approach related issues. Race, gender, dating, sex, etc - the expectations on how to handle all of them has shifted, and there isn't a quick catch-up book for those who learned how society works before the shifts. It doesn't help that the proponents tend to treat any mistakes during the process of adapting as deliberate, hateful behavior. There are certainly questions I've wanted to ask, or comments - critical, or even in support of someone - that I've wanted to make, but that I've backed down from because I don't know for sure what the rules are anymore, and a mistake can brand you as a horrible person.

I read his comments in that link, and I think he was just trying to express that same confusion.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's also a viewpoint that has a lot of currency in the MRA/incel/misogyny spectrum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And now Gal Gadot is cut too. DC is trying ti commit suicide it seems. Marvel is too good for them so they'll go out with a bang.

Henry Cavill and Gal Gadot's The Flash Cameos Reportedly Cut to Make Way for Gunn's DC
While it's already been made official that Henry Cavill will no longer return as Superman in the DC of the future under James Gunn and Peter Safran, it has now been reported that cameos of Cavill and Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman have been cut from The Flash to make way for the studio's new direction.

As reported by THR, these moves indicate that Gunn and Safran are not going to simply play with the pieces already in play in the DCEU, but that they will be making a major shift as they steer this massive ship into uncharted waters.
This shift has already made waves in existing projects like The Flash thanks to Cavill's departure and the decision to not move forward with Patty Jenkins' most recent vision of Wonder Woman 3.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably better in DC thread.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:22 pm The cultural shifts have left a lot of people intimidated and confused when it comes to how to approach related issues. Race, gender, dating, sex, etc - the expectations on how to handle all of them has shifted, and there isn't a quick catch-up book for those who learned how society works before the shifts. It doesn't help that the proponents tend to treat any mistakes during the process of adapting as deliberate, hateful behavior. There are certainly questions I've wanted to ask, or comments - critical, or even in support of someone - that I've wanted to make, but that I've backed down from because I don't know for sure what the rules are anymore, and a mistake can brand you as a horrible person.

I read his comments in that link, and I think he was just trying to express that same confusion.
Yeah, I'd agree. Seems like a minor trip-up can get you labeled. Which seems harsh? The more I think about it, it's probably blown way out of proportion, and likely based on misunderstandings.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Going back to the Cavill controversy, about him leaving Witcher for Superman only to get supercanned. For those who didn't hear about it (or didn't catch the brief mention here when it was a rumor), the day after he was dropped from Superman, he announced that he was working with Amazon as both star and executive producer on a whole Warhammer 40k franchise, involving both films and series.

That sort of deal takes months to arrange. This was in place before he left The Witcher, and before he lost the role of Superman. This was likely the career move underlying what happened, not Superman.

And given that he's a big Warhammer tabletop fan, it has potential (even if I'm not the biggest fan of 40k and/or Games Workshop.)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Warhammer 40K has cult-like fans. So does Witcher and Superman. Cavil is smart, capturing iconic roles that have strong appeal in a defined market.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

40k sounds expensive to make and tons of cgi.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Amazon has deep pockets, and as I understand it they are the ones that are actually acquiring the rights to the IP.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

S3 trailer teaser

This summer, everything changes. The Witcher Season 3 begins on June 29th.
The first five episodes will arrive on June 29th, with the remaining three episodes to arrive four weeks later on July 27th.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

New trailer:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Henry looks as if he was poured into the mold for the role of Geralt. I just dont see it without him. He is beyond perfect.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:19 pm Henry looks as if he was poured into the mold for the role of Geralt. I just dont see it without him. He is beyond perfect.
Agreed.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

JCC wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:28 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:19 pm Henry looks as if he was poured into the mold for the role of Geralt. I just dont see it without him. He is beyond perfect.
Agreed.
Thirded.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm going to be contrary and go with "he's perfect". "Beyond perfect" sounds too much like "Give 110%". It's not possible unless you were initially not giving 100%. More perfect than perfect? Is that like "infinity plus one!"? :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
JCC

Post by JCC »

TheMix wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:44 pm I'm going to be contrary and go with "he's perfect". "Beyond perfect" sounds too much like "Give 110%". It's not possible unless you were initially not giving 100%. More perfect than perfect? Is that like "infinity plus one!"? :D
LOL. Try not to be so pedantics.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

JCC wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:12 am
TheMix wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:44 pm I'm going to be contrary and go with "he's perfect". "Beyond perfect" sounds too much like "Give 110%". It's not possible unless you were initially not giving 100%. More perfect than perfect? Is that like "infinity plus one!"? :D
Sorry. I'm afraid it's how I'm wired. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pedantic. :horse:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:47 am
Pedantic. :horse:
Is anyone impressed that I let that one go by? Anyone? Bueller? No? :(

Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
Cavill is a great Geralt, but there are enough other talented people involved in the project, both in front of and behind the camera, that I will happily watch the post-Cavill seasons, if they make them, to see where the story goes with what's-his-name wearing Geralt's leathers. Let's be real for a minute: The Witcher isn't about Geralt anyway -- it's really Ciri's story.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The show is good with or without Cavill.
That is how contrary is done. :coffee:

/scene
Spoiler:
The misquote in the meme is my gift to all the pedantics out there. Go for it!

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

My reading on it is that they had something really good going on with Cavill in the role. Cavill was only too ready and willing to put his passion and knowledge into the project. The producer saw that as a threat to their vision. The ideal would have been to have him work with them rather than against him. Now with Helmsworth, many might not even check out the 4th season, or even watch the 3rd because of how things unfolded, and I don't see the series lasting beyond the 4th, especially since the IP must not be cheap. It's like they captured lightning in a bottle with Cavill and proceeded to shatter it. They unfortunately didn't know what they had when they had it.
Last edited by Rumpy on Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Netflix should have done the smart thing and jumped in and fired the producer and the writers and hired new talent in line with The Witcher and Cavill.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sapowski was even said to have been impressed by Cavill's performance as Geralt. Before that, the only adaptation of his work was a fairly obscure cheaply done series called The Hexer.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rumpy wrote:Sapowski was even said to have been impressed by Cavill's performance as Geralt. Before that, the only adaptation of his work was a fairly obscure cheaply done series called The Hexer.
Cavill's been great, the showrunners and writers are the ones who don't care about the material, and are why it is ending.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:49 pm
Rumpy wrote:Sapowski was even said to have been impressed by Cavill's performance as Geralt. Before that, the only adaptation of his work was a fairly obscure cheaply done series called The Hexer.
Cavill's been great, the showrunners and writers are the ones who don't care about the material, and are why it is ending.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Which is essentially what I had said. IMHO, the showrunners handled the situation completely the wrong way and fumbled it. Ironically, they know they messed up by splitting the season to have it last as long as they can take advantage of it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If Henry Cavill is the only good thing about the show, why have you watched it at all? Surely there are good Henry Cavill vehicles out there that don't require you to endure such dreck just to admire his chiselled chin and immaculate performances.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The world couldn't handle it if Geralt were to build a PC :) Sorcery I tell you!!
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:49 pm
Ending? From what I've read they have already approved a fourth season, and also a fifth one.
Conform or be cast out!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I haven't heard it was ending either, only that the 3rd season is Cavill's last.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention. I didn’t realize Cavill’s last season is only 5 freaking episodes long.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:43 pm I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention. I didn’t realize Cavill’s last season is only 5 freaking episodes long.
There's 3 more (I think) episodes coming at the end of July - all starring Cavill. Hemsworth doesn't start until S4 (no release date).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, okay. That’s a little better.

Still wish they’d gone with Adam Sandler for Cavill’s replacement.

“Axii….shabadooh”
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm midway through S2 and I think I'm just going to drop the whole series. I have no interest in watching knock-off Thor try to fill Cavill's shoes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

(What if he's better than Cavill?)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:55 am (What if he's better than Cavill?)
:tjg: