The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Grifman »

The civil suit is a big problem for Trump. He and family members took the fifth hundreds of times during their depositions, and if he testifies, presumably will again. In a civil case the jury can draw "adverse inferences" from that. And of course all the evidence uncovered can be used in any criminal cases. The legal noose is tightening on Trump.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

We’ve got him, now!!

:P
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:34 pm The civil suit is a big problem for Trump. He and family members took the fifth hundreds of times during their depositions, and if he testifies, presumably will again. In a civil case the jury can draw "adverse inferences" from that. And of course all the evidence uncovered can be used in any criminal cases. The legal noose is tightening on Trump.
I assume his strategy will be to continue to delay things as much as possible. Then aim to return to the presidency in 2025 (or potentially rely on DeSantis or someone else to do so), and then blow off any state court judgment as he systematically dismantles any remaining avenues to hold him accountable for everything.

I expect that delaying in NY State proceedings might be more difficult as I imagine that the state judiciary is likely less friendly. That said, it only takes one state level Aileen Cannon to muck things up, and there's always the possibility of a crazy SCOTUS ruling (or just a crazy unwarranted stay order) delaying things.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's not like the SCotUS have ruled that a President isn't immune from civil lawsuits. Then again, that was in the before times. I'm sure there will be compelling reasons to demonstrate why in this specific case, TFG can't be held accountable when he's elected again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:19 pm We’ve got him, now!!

:P
He's been softened up by thousands of lawsuits and this is totally the deathblow. I'm pretty convinced actual death is going to be the only thing that'll stick to him.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:24 pm It's not like the SCotUS have ruled that a President isn't immune from civil lawsuits. Then again, that was in the before times. I'm sure there will be compelling reasons to demonstrate why in this specific case, TFG can't be held accountable when he's elected again.
All he really needs is an irrational stay order from the SCOTUS, which doesn't need to last forever and may not even need to be explained in any depth. If and when he becomes president again, it probably doesn't even matter if the courts eventually rule against him - he'll just ignore it and dare anyone to do anything about it. But then a Trump restoration in 2025 is the death of meaningful democracy and accountability for some time most likely, so an ignored civil judgment would the be the least of our problems.

But you know...cute kittens I guess?

Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fun little side note - Leticia James sort of threw some under the wraps shade Alvin Bragg's way. She said Trump and the Trump organization likely committed crimes in NY State and also believed there to be federal criminal exposure. She then claimed she referred it to SDNY. Why not prosecute in NY State? Why not refer it to Bragg? It seems like a solid guess that James already had this discussion and as we saw when his prosecutor's stormed out earlier this year that Bragg is too corrupt or afraid to do his job.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:54 pm Fun little side note - Leticia James sort of threw some under the wraps shade Alvin Bragg's way. She said Trump and the Trump organization likely committed crimes in NY State and also believed there to be federal criminal exposure. She then claimed she referred it to SDNY. Why not prosecute in NY State? Why not refer it to Bragg? It seems like a solid guess that James already had this discussion and as we saw when his prosecutor's stormed out earlier this year that Bragg is too corrupt or afraid to do his job.
Does the NYAG have no plausible direct criminal prosecuting authority here? I know that there's territory that's carved out for the DA, but I find it hard to believe that the NYAG has no direct criminal prosecutorial authority related to fraud.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:01 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:54 pm Fun little side note - Leticia James sort of threw some under the wraps shade Alvin Bragg's way. She said Trump and the Trump organization likely committed crimes in NY State and also believed there to be federal criminal exposure. She then claimed she referred it to SDNY. Why not prosecute in NY State? Why not refer it to Bragg? It seems like a solid guess that James already had this discussion and as we saw when his prosecutor's stormed out earlier this year that Bragg is too corrupt or afraid to do his job.
Does the NYAG have no plausible direct criminal prosecuting authority here? I know that there's territory that's carved out for the DA, but I find it hard to believe that the NYAG has no direct criminal prosecutorial authority related to fraud.
It's really limited in NY. The AG is mostly restricted to securities and insurance fraud, consumer protection, aka the broad stuff IIRC. That's probably why she limited herself to the civil suit. It was originally a joint criminal/civil investigation until Bragg oozed into office (as I remember the sequencing at least).
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:21 pm
Grifman wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:34 pm The civil suit is a big problem for Trump. He and family members took the fifth hundreds of times during their depositions, and if he testifies, presumably will again. In a civil case the jury can draw "adverse inferences" from that. And of course all the evidence uncovered can be used in any criminal cases. The legal noose is tightening on Trump.
I assume his strategy will be to continue to delay things as much as possible. Then aim to return to the presidency in 2025 (or potentially rely on DeSantis or someone else to do so), and then blow off any state court judgment as he systematically dismantles any remaining avenues to hold him accountable for everything.
Wouldn't the easiest way be to have a Rep. president just pardon him of all things federal? He'd still have to deal with State charges, but he'll be long dead before that gets worked out.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lol Trump.

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

They really took it to Cannon - read the thread:

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I feel like he wasted a judge (Cannon) he might have used more efficiently later when the indictment happened. Remember the stories about DeSantis vowing to refuse any extradition of Trump from Florida? I wonder if Cannon could or would play a role in any of that? Now with her effectively exposed as a MAGA Judge I think she'd be easily overruled by appeals court.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

He is out of his god*amn mind. Completely fucking deranged. This is from Hannity tonight.

- “As President, I can declassify anything just by thinking about it.” (then couldn’t Biden instantly re-classify it just by thinking about it?)
- “National Archives and Records Agency is a ‘radical leftist’ organization. If you send documents there, they intentionally disappear them.”
- “Did they raid Mar-A-Lago looking for the Hillary Clinton e-mails?”

EDIT: Twitter is undefeated.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The idea that Mar-A-Lago is worth three quarters of a billion dollars is ludicrous.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This exchange is a winner:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Not a banner day in Trump world that's for sure. Will it matter in the end? Who knows, but at least not all Trump appointed judges are batshit insane. They really ripped her apart and I think they were trying to make it really hard for the "Supreme" ;) court from flying in and doing anything.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Interesting. I thought the Lindell phone seizure was related to the Jan 6 investigation, but instead, it appears that Lindell may have illegally accessed voter data and may be facing federal charges himself:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... puter/amp/
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I read that in the warrant that Mike Pillow disclosed himself he is named as a co-conspirator.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Grifman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:08 am The idea that Mar-A-Lago is worth three quarters of a billion dollars is ludicrous.
To be fair, that value was given before the FBI came and took away Mar-A-Lago's most valuable assets.

(Joke stolen from Stephen Colbert.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Apparently Cannon removed all the stuff the 11th circuit was complaining about and now there's not even anything he can appeal. I actually have no idea what that asshat is doing. I mean she has a position for life so she doesn't have to appease Trump. And if she does want to appease him she doesn't have to stop. Pick a side!
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:01 pm Apparently Cannon removed all the stuff the 11th circuit was complaining about and now there's not even anything he can appeal. I actually have no idea what that asshat is doing. I mean she has a position for life so she doesn't have to appease Trump. And if she does want to appease him she doesn't have to stop. Pick a side!
Unqualified is unqualified.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:01 pm Apparently Cannon removed all the stuff the 11th circuit was complaining about and now there's not even anything he can appeal. I actually have no idea what that asshat is doing. I mean she has a position for life so she doesn't have to appease Trump. And if she does want to appease him she doesn't have to stop. Pick a side!
I'm a little confused about what this means. So Cannon is just complying with the 11th Circuit's order, right? And why would that prevent Trump from appealing the 11th Circuit's ruling?
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:53 pm
I'm a little confused about what this means. So Cannon is just complying with the 11th Circuit's order, right? And why would that prevent Trump from appealing the 11th Circuit's ruling?
From what I've read in Twitter, the judge could have complied with the appellate order in a variety of ways, such as completely bashing the Special Master. Now that she's modified the order, though, they have to appeal the new order - which seems like a losing battle. From what I can tell, had Cannon done nothing, Trump could have appealed. But I am not a lawyer.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya my understanding is that he can't appeal as it's no longer part of the judgement.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So perhaps she purposefully steered the wheel in that direction?

I’m mostly kidding. If she hurt trump’s case I’m sure it was accidentally
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:01 pm
Sometimes when I think Twitter has been corrupted beyond redemption by eyeball coveting, something like this gets posted and buys it another day of respite.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:30 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:53 pm
From what I've read in Twitter, the judge could have complied with the appellate order in a variety of ways, such as completely bashing the Special Master. Now that she's modified the order, though, they have to appeal the new order - which seems like a losing battle. From what I can tell, had Cannon done nothing, Trump could have appealed. But I am not a lawyer.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Could this be true?
Former president Donald Trump’s super PAC raised only $40 in the month of August, in a sign that his name doesn’t have the fundraising pull it once did.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 73924.html

malchior

Post by malchior »

Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:26 pm Could this be true?
Former president Donald Trump’s super PAC raised only $40 in the month of August, in a sign that his name doesn’t have the fundraising pull it once did.
If it is true, the money just went somewhere else.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Unforeseen employee absences" have really impacted the money laundering operation he's been running. Maybe their Russian contacts were drafted in August?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

malchior wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:27 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:26 pm Could this be true?
If it is true, the money just went somewhere else.
Well, 40 dollars after the Trump Organization was paid for services rendered.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No but really…what’s in his butt?
This is a question I never want to ponder.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Butt really, what IS going on there? It's seems like there's clearly more than just Donald in his pants.