The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Alefroth »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:05 pm He’s in the media so much he doesn’t need money for campaigning. As for the legality I’m sure it’s borderline legal but it would be a scandal if anyone but the Tancurian candidate did it (eg Biden, Obama etc)
Wouldn't Tanchurian be better?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Him in jail would be bad for the campaign. Therefore it's in the interest of the campaign, and beneficial to the campaign that he have the best defense that (other peoples') money can buy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Christopher Steele: UK High Court throws out Trump ex-spy dossier case
In bringing the lawsuit against Orbis Business Intelligence Ltd, he said the dossier contained allegations that were inaccurate and breached his data protection rights.

In Thursday's ruling in London, Mrs Justice Steyn DBE said she did not make any judgement on the allegations themselves but found Mr Trump's claim had not been brought within the six-year limitation period.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:20 pm Christopher Steele: UK High Court throws out Trump ex-spy dossier case
In bringing the lawsuit against Orbis Business Intelligence Ltd, he said the dossier contained allegations that were inaccurate and breached his data protection rights.

In Thursday's ruling in London, Mrs Justice Steyn DBE said she did not make any judgement on the allegations themselves but found Mr Trump's claim had not been brought within the six-year limitation period.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump's DC trial scheduled to start March 4 is on hold due to the lack of an appeals court ruling on his immunity claims.

Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, if we can just establish whether or not he's a king, it feels like maybe we can get on with it already. Why are we pretending anything else matters right now?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can Trump run for president while being on trial?
If he is elected as President does his trial continue?
If he is found guilty and sentenced to prison can they put the President in prison?
Can he continue to serve as President from prison?
Can he pardon himself?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am Can Trump run for president while being on trial?

Yes.

If he is elected as President does his trial continue?

Yes. But once inaugurated he would get various formal and informal powers to interfere with the proceedings against him, especially if Republicans also control Congress (especially the Senate). Among other things he would probably order the AG to dismiss any proceedings against him.

If he is found guilty and sentenced to prison can they put the President in prison?

Yes, although as President he would have various formal and informal powers to stop that (among other things, he would probably refuse to go and dare anyone to try to force him to go to prison).

Can he continue to serve as President from prison?

Yes, at least there's no formal rule saying that you stop being president if you're in prison.

Can he pardon himself?

That's a big and important question. Nothing in the pardon power explicitly says that the President can't pardon himself. He probably would pardon himself, which would spark various legal proceedings into that question.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am Can Trump run for president while being on trial?
Lol, have you looked outside your window? :roll:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am If he is elected as President does his trial continue?
Federal trials presumably would be dropped by his new DOJ.
State trials would (in theory) not be affected, but 'sitting president' would probably derail them.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am If he is found guilty and sentenced to prison can they put the President in prison?
Even if he isn't elected President in 2024 and he is found criminally guilty, realistically, the chances that he spends time at a real "prison" is about zero. Likely he would serve his time at a Military facility or even a home arrest at Mar-a-Lago, with Secret Service detail.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am Can he continue to serve as President from prison?
Yes?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am Can he pardon himself?
About 100% of constitutional and presidential scholars say: "No". But that wouldn't stop him from giving it a run.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:01 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am Can he pardon himself?
About 100% of constitutional and presidential scholars say: "No". But that wouldn't stop him from giving it a run.
I think that's overstating things. This is the key clause of the Constitution:
he [the President] shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment
So the only clear textual limitations on the pardon power are: (1) the "offences" must be "against the United States", meaning it only applies to federal crimes; and (2) it doesn't cover "cases of impeachment", meaning that he can't prevent someone from being impeached and removed by pardoning them.

As a result, to argue that the President can't pardon themselves you have to argue from a sense of fundamental fairness and/or from English common law. Importantly, is that going to be enough to get five or more SCOTUS votes? Unclear at best.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I believe the idea is more that the very idea of a ‘pardon’ is not something one can do to oneself, by definition.
Sorta like the word ‘condone’, it implies one party doing something for another party.

However, yeah, SCOTUS…
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Man this is looking uglier the more I learn. Ill stop trying to learn myself.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:
Daehawk wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am If he is elected as President does his trial continue?
State trials would (in theory) not be affected, but 'sitting president' would probably derail them.
Not sure about that because of the special counsel.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:46 pm
Unagi wrote:
I’m not following what you’re saying.
Can you flesh that out a little more?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:53 pm
Unagi wrote:
DOJ can't just shut down a Special Counsel (Jack Smith in this case).

Think Starr and Clinton.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:57 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:53 pm
Unagi wrote:
DOJ can't just shut down a Special Counsel (Jack Smith in this case).

Think Starr and Clinton.
Ah, okay - I follow you now. Well - presumably Trump's next administration would start with a DOJ that is filled with ethics-free individuals that wouldn't send in their resignation should the DOJ suspend the special counsel (Unlike the days of old). Apparently, there are also 'defunding' methods that an ethics-free DOJ could also invoke.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, they would be all-in on Nixon firing Archibald Cox and re-enacting the Saturday Night Massacre these days (Cheney and Bork were ready to do it even then. While Thomas has been awful, Bork on the Supreme Court would have been even worse).

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:31 pm I believe the idea is more that the very idea of a ‘pardon’ is not something one can do to oneself, by definition.
Sorta like the word ‘condone’, it implies one party doing something for another party.

However, yeah, SCOTUS…
Yeah I think that's the argument. But while I'll admit to not being an expert on the scholarship here, I'm highly doubtful that the scholars are universal in their views on it. The whole "the language of the pardon puts limits on it but does not explicitly say that the pardon can't be for himself" is a pretty decent argument all things considered.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It has never been tested, but it certainly will be if Trump gets a return visit.

waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:18 pm Him in jail would be bad for the campaign. Therefore it's in the interest of the campaign, and beneficial to the campaign that he have the best defense that (other peoples') money can buy.

It’d be great for the campaign! It would maytr him.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

And which voters would that sway?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:17 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:18 pm Him in jail would be bad for the campaign. Therefore it's in the interest of the campaign, and beneficial to the campaign that he have the best defense that (other peoples') money can buy.

It’d be great for the campaign! It would maytr him.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would rather have Trump in jail martyred than a second Trump Presidency. Biden needs to campaign hard that Trump doesn’t care about anything but his “get out of jail free” pass while President.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:41 pm I would rather have Trump in jail martyred than a second Trump Presidency. Biden needs to campaign hard that Trump doesn’t care about anything but his “get out of jail free” pass while President.
Sadly, I'm not sure that's an effective campaign position. Are we sure it wouldn't just drive up the energy of his cult to vote him back in and give him that "get out of jail free" pass?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
waitingtoconnect

Zarathud wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:41 pm I would rather have Trump in jail martyred than a second Trump Presidency. Biden needs to campaign hard that Trump doesn’t care about anything but his “get out of jail free” pass while President.
Tragically he could be both. In jail and president living in Jail Cell One.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If America is stupid enough to elect a jailed candidate, our democratic experiment was a failure and Rome has Fallen.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Same result if we re-elect him, jailed or not.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I prefer my martyrs to be literally martyred.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:40 pm Enlarge Image
You deserve credit for this.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:46 pm You deserve credit for this.

Thank you kindly.
waitingtoconnect

Zarathud wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:14 pm If America is stupid enough to elect a jailed candidate, our democratic experiment was a failure and Rome has Fallen.
Can you imagine a 29th century Edward Gibbon commentating on that? He was of course a near contemporary of the founding fathers.

Some of his real prophetic quotes:
In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all – security, comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again.

The principles of a free constitution are irrecoverably lost, when the legislative power is nominated by the executive.

The Roman government appeared every day less formidable to its enemies, more odious and oppressive to its subjects.

It is scarcely possible that the eyes of contemporaries should discover in the public felicity the latent causes of decay and corruption. This long peace, and the uniform government of the Romans, introduced a slow and secret poison into the vitals of the empire. The minds of men were gradually reduced to the same level, the fire of genius was extinguished, and even the military spirit evaporated.

A nation ignorant of the equal benefits of liberty and law, must be awed by the flashes of arbitrary power: the cruelty of a despot will assume the character of justice; his profusion, of liberality; his obstinacy, of firmness.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:46 pm You deserve credit for this.
+1. Now I feel bad for not saying anything when I first saw it. Don't take your izzys for granted, people!
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

DC Circuit rules against Presidential immunity for Trump in 2020 election case.
“Trump's stance would collapse our system of separated powers by placing the President beyond the reach of all three Branches… We cannot accept that the office of the Presidency places its former occupants above the law for all time thereafter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"President Trump respectfully disagrees with the DC Circuit’s decision and will appeal it in order to safeguard the Presidency and the Constitution,” his campaign spokesman Steven Cheung said in a statement.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

respectfully? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Translation - He needs to delay this until the after the election and then work on finding a way to immunity while being a sitting president after all the MAGA Sec's of State attempt to place him in power. We won't even mention corrupt As of G like like Paxton. Oops! :oops:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

There he goes again...
The state Ethics Commission alleges Donald Trump’s joint fundraising committee and GOP state Rep. Janel Brandtjen schemed to evade campaign finance limits as part of an effort that steered at least $40,000 to the 2022 primary challenge of Speaker Robin Vos, according to records obtained by WisPolitics.

The commission this week recommended local district attorneys investigate and charge both, as well as the campaign of Adam Steen, who lost to Vos by 260 votes, eight individuals and the three county Republican parties alleged to be involved.

The referrals accuse Steen, Brandtjen, the Save America Joint Fundraising Committee and others of committing felonies.
How many felonies is he going to rack up?