The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Unagi »

So, just going to take this moment to acknowledge that today we see that the DOJ has its eye on Trump, as it should be... and it seems to be well beyond selective prosecution. And that it seems to just very maybe --- wait for it --- catching up with him.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Donald Trump indicted in classified documents probe, sources say

Former President Donald Trump has been indicted in the special counsel’s classified documents probe, sources familiar with the matter tell CNN, a stunning development that marks the first time a former president has faced federal charges.

Trump has been charged with seven counts in the indictment, according to another source familiar with the matter.

At least one of the charges against Trump will be a conspiracy charge, a source said.
Couldn't happen to a more deserving grifter.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If he's convicted of a felony, he's disqualified for the presidency, right? Right? Please tell me that's buried in the Constitution somewhere.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nope. Ask Eugene Debs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There's zero chance this gets resolved before the election. In a normal world people voting would disqualify him by not voting for him. So ya his poll numbers will go up.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can a President serve from Prison? I cant believe I asked that...this day and age...My grandparents graves have likely exploded.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:11 pm I've heard that none of us even knew about this grand jury until about last week.
There have been quite a few stories about the Jack Smith led grand juries. We just didn't have the specific details about where/when because it was all under seal.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:49 pm If he's convicted of a felony, he's disqualified for the presidency, right? Right? Please tell me that's buried in the Constitution somewhere.
It's not every felony - even treason. The 14th amendment has language to disqualify for insurrection or rebellion. We've never done it so the institutional paralysis make it academic only most likely.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If he's elected, I would expect to see him ordering retroactive investigation/charges against Biden for the documents he ended up with from his time as VP. It would be bullshit (it's a very different situation), but I doubt that he'd care.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:20 pm Why Miami? That's likely where the crimes occurred. Ive read some arguments that classified documents cases typically belong in DC.

They might have calculated Trump probably would have tied this shit up for a year just to move it to Florida so this might short-cut some of the Trump abuse of the institutional rot. We will see.
The reason they filed in Florida was to prevent Trump from going to court and arguing that Florida instead of DC is the proper venue. He could have tied things up for months if he sought a change of venue.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Grifman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:51 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:20 pm Why Miami? That's likely where the crimes occurred. Ive read some arguments that classified documents cases typically belong in DC.

They might have calculated Trump probably would have tied this shit up for a year just to move it to Florida so this might short-cut some of the Trump abuse of the institutional rot. We will see.
The reason they filed in Florida was to prevent Trump from going to court and arguing that Florida instead of DC is the proper venue. He could have tied things up for months if he sought a change of venue.
Then maybe Trump will argue that DC instead of Florida is the proper venue and still tie thing up for months.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:51 pm

Yeah that is what I was essentially saying. Avoiding motions about proper venue may very well speed up the resolution of the case.
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:24 pmThen maybe Trump will argue that DC instead of Florida is the proper venue and still tie thing up for months.
They will almost certainly try. Delay may be his only chance.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:49 pm If he's convicted of a felony, he's disqualified for the presidency, right? Right? Please tell me that's buried in the Constitution somewhere.
There are very few requirements to being president. Not being a felon isn't one of them.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:20 pm
It's not every felony - even treason. The 14th amendment has language to disqualify for insurrection or rebellion. We've never done it so the institutional paralysis make it academic only most likely.
Yeah, the 14A is what I was thinking of. Wrong felony this time, but the right one is coming. Conviction will almost surely not happen before the election, though.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Donald Trump admits on tape he didn’t declassify ‘secret information:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/09/politics ... index.html

He's so screwed.

And FWIW, he still hasn't turned over the documents he discussed in the tape.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Can he claim he lied on that tape? And that the "secret information" doesn't exist, he made it up?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:17 am Can he claim he lied on that tape? And that the "secret information" doesn't exist, he made it up?
He can claim whatever he wants. How's his credibility looking?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:23 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:17 am Can he claim he lied on that tape? And that the "secret information" doesn't exist, he made it up?
He can claim whatever he wants. How's his credibility looking?
If no one can actually find the information, though, the claim that he made it all up is certainly backed up by his track record.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Grifman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:03 am Donald Trump admits on tape he didn’t declassify ‘secret information:

Trump continues: “All sorts of stuff – pages long, look. Wait a minute, let’s see here. I just found, isn’t that amazing? This totally wins my case, you know. Except it is like, highly confidential. Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this.”
This is secret! Look at it! :doh:

I almost feel bad for his lawyers. Almost
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Exodor wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:05 am
Grifman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:03 am Donald Trump admits on tape he didn’t declassify ‘secret information:

Trump continues: “All sorts of stuff – pages long, look. Wait a minute, let’s see here. I just found, isn’t that amazing? This totally wins my case, you know. Except it is like, highly confidential. Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this.”

Your :doh: moment made me laugh.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

And it's assigned to Cannon. Seriously turn off the lights on the way out. It was a good run.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:51 am And it's assigned to Cannon. Seriously turn off the lights on the way out. It was a good run.
I keep reading it as "initially assigned"

May I cling to that?

Would she need to recuse herself?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:58 am
Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:51 am And it's assigned to Cannon. Seriously turn off the lights on the way out. It was a good run.

May I cling to that?

Should she? Absolutely. Will she? Absolutely not. I swear corrupt judges is the reason he moved to Florida. Must be nice to be 42 and set with a job for life. :P

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

From 1/6 to 6/9.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:20 pm
Rumors have it that the Espionage Act was also charged. Tho that has been abused in the past, but yeah, the Georgia Probe and if/when charges are brought for 1/6 are the ones which would bring the 14th into play.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Apparently they feel the same way:

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:20 am
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:58 am

May I cling to that?

Should she? Absolutely. Will she? Absolutely not. I swear corrupt judges is the reason he moved to Florida. Must be nice to be 42 and set with a job for life. :P
After the 11th Circuit smacked her down big time earlier in the documents case, they're not going to hesitate to reign her in or throw her off the case if need be.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Indictment's out (though I don't yet have a link). Let the fireworks begin.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Meidas Touch is blasting out highlights for those interested:

In summary, :shock:

Their own update from a few minutes ago:
TRUMP IS FACING 38 COUNTS ACROSS 8 FEDERAL STATUTES PER UNSEALED INDICTMENT, WITH 31 RELATING TO THE ESPIONAGE ACT
I don't know about the all caps, but if that's accurate, we're in for a real ride.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope he gets the chair or is traded for imprisoned Americans in foreign lands.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Grifman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:44 am

Apparently they feel the same way:

Times like this I do wonder if we're living in a simulation or if the universe is alive and having a good laugh. I mean, Trump's lawyer's last name was "Trusty" ?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I read about half. Any normal human being would be totally fucked. They have recordings and texts of them moving shit on purpose. They also have in texts that he had classified documents scattered all over the place in very unsecured places like the stage in the ballroom. Seriously stop the world I want off.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:51 pm The link.
Thanks (we've been trained well by Mr Fed!) :mrgreen:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Times like this I do wonder if we're living in a simulation or if the universe is alive and having a good laugh. I mean, Trump's lawyer's last name was "Trusty" ?
The world / universe is run, populated, and tended to by A.I.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:20 pm
The world / universe is run, populated, and tended to by A.I.
That would explain all the bugs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:53 pm Meidas Touch is blasting out highlights for those interested:
I find these guys way over the top. I get it, drumpf is bad and we want bad things to happen to him, but every little thing is *amazing* or *unbelievable* or *absolutely the worst thing ever*. Even more of a problem, they imply that *this new thing* is truly going to be the downfall of drumpf et al. According to them drumpf is on the cusp of prison. For the last 12+ months.

I sometimes read their headlines, but that's about it. And mostly not even that.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well I mean they are right. Our broken system is the only reason he's not in an orange jumpsuit already.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I find these guys way over the top.
All true, but they were sharing clipped screen shots of the PDF with limited commentary, so I shared. But I get it. That's also why I qualified that all caps follow up they posted shortly after.

But yeah, if I did half of that I'm guessing I'd be in a jail cell at this point. I appreciate they need to be extra careful here but I'm guessing there's a good reason they are giving him until Tuesday to answer to these charges.
Maybe next year, maybe no go