The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Zaxxon »

And just so the actual news is also in this thread...

malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah I was pretty hot about it and glossed over that. There is a cadre of people saying this was a good day for the United States and it just pissed me off. 6 months into a new Presidency the OLC revisited a bullshit opinion, written by a deeply corrupted DOJ, to protect a blatantly corrupt President, and that is supposed to be a good day for us?

After Nixon, there were multiple investigations, they passed laws to try to pen in the Presidency, and we saw that all undone in a couple of years of Trump. And what are we doing about it? Pretty much nothing to prevent the next authoritarian (who might just be Trump again). Yet the very serious people are patting themselves on the back because the 'middle held'. :roll: :roll: :roll:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh look. Trump is going to delay this more. From everything I've read the law is CRYSTAL FUCKING CLEAR and he is a citizen now. There is no reason to delay it. I hope the judge dismisses it quickly. Though I can see this stupid and broken system might let him drag this on until the GOP inevitably retakes the House in the mid-terms next year.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Greg Sargent pokes at this - Rep. Adam Schiff has a bill to streamline Congressional subpoenas through the court system. A major required reform with little chance to make it through the Senate which is committed to protecting Trump as well.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I hesitate to ask, but has anyone asked Joe Manchin about the Save Our Democracy Act yet?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:25 am I hesitate to ask, but has anyone asked Joe Manchin about the Save Our Democracy Act yet?
I doubt it but I can pretty much guarantee if this gets press coverage related to filibuster he'll show up on tv to preen about his seriousness. :roll:
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:45 pm Oh look. Trump is going to delay this more. From everything I've read the law is CRYSTAL FUCKING CLEAR and he is a citizen now. There is no reason to delay it. I hope the judge dismisses it quickly. Though I can see this stupid and broken system might let him drag this on until the GOP inevitably retakes the House in the mid-terms next year.
November arguments in person. THIS SYSTEM IS BROKEN. If this system doesn't implode one of the first things they need to do is streamline this steaming 2-systems of justice bullshit.

Edit: Here is my back of envelope math on time line. Judge will rule against Trump since IT IS BLACK AND WHITE after "considering" it for what 90 days? Maybe late December/January. Then an appeal which will get picked up and they'll slow walk this to the Supreme Court in time for the Democrats to lose the House.

Another fucking farce. All to protect a traitor. This country is going to fail if it continues to be run this way. It is just too corrupt.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:38 pmThis country is going to fail if
There's no more if. How many examples do we need? We now receive them on a literal daily basis. I saw a tweet this weekend...

Which, funny, ha ha. But it's true, and it's not just the pandemic--it's general politics in the US for the past 2+ decades, worldwide response to the climate emergency, and yes, the pandemic (on so many fronts).

We're hanging on for now, but our society is shot.
malchior

Post by malchior »

JFC. When the DOJ leaks it is always against a Democrat. This one is ugly. if they move forward it will be clearly political. Durham chased Trump shadows for three years and this weak, corrupt shit is all he could come up with? He'll be charged because the prosecutors are convinced he was really working for the Clinton campaign and not who he said he was. It is hard to believe this is a real story much less something that might happen.

Edit: if this goes nowhere it could just be another case of a Trump flunkee getting a headline in the "paper of record".

malchior

Post by malchior »

And they dropped an indictment. Only 4 days before the statute of limitations is up. Many lawsplainers are saying this is a ham sandwich indictment and that they don't understand how DOJ will prosecute the case. Another indication that the DOJ is a cesspool.

Edit: A couple of blurbs examples:

malchior

Post by malchior »

This is exactly why this corrupt, thuggish action was taken. It is to protect Trump and undermine the Russia narrative. It's pretty silly since no one cared when it fucking mattered but tell that to Sussman who now faces a potentially legal career ending federal charge.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, and it doesn't really matter all that much whether the indictment holds up and gets a conviction. It becomes another narrative talking point (see? The Biden DOJ indicted someone for the Russia investigation hoax!). On top of that, this becomes another way to lean on any potential whistleblower on Trump / Republican misdeeds in the future (because who is going to risk a federal indictment to report on Trump to the FBI)?
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, Glenn Greenwald's really become a full on Trumpist.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 am Also, Glenn Greenwald's really become a full on Trumpist.
Odds seem good that Russia has been running Greenwald as an asset for years. Perhaps, they even were behind linking him up with Snowden.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:29 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 am Also, Glenn Greenwald's really become a full on Trumpist.
Odds seem good that Russia has been running Greenwald as an asset for years. Perhaps, they even were behind linking him up with Snowden.
Maybe. I think the most likely explanation is that Greenwald has always reserved his strongest hate for centrist democrats and U.S. intelligence agencies. And as a result has wound up drifting into Trumpworld in an "enemy of my enemy" kind of situation.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:29 pm
FWIW also take it with a grain of salt because I'm coming at this or (tainted by?) having a semi-insider angle. Meaning I typically work with a lot of ex-agencies folks, that is close to a consensus position amongst those folks, I'm however not read into anything I know is classified, and I'm two degrees from Snowden. Over the years I've come close to a 100% opinion that Snowden was an agent and based on that Greenwald is suspected an asset of some type - even as much as he is just a useful idiot.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Does this count as Trump investigation(s), or no?
When a deluge flooded the Trump Organization’s Westchester County golf course and a nearby town in 2011, the organization used a wildly inflated claim to score an insurance payout of nearly $1.3 million, pulling in far more than what it spent to repair the course, two people tell Rolling Stone. The previously unreported insurance claim at Trump National Golf Club in the Village of Briarcliff Manor far outstripped the cost to repair the damages, which were about $130,000 to $150,000, one of the sources says.

One of the sources, a former Briarcliff employee, says superficial repairs were made to the damaged parts of the course. “The work was never completed,” the former employee says. “They basically band-aided it.” The Trump Organization had sought even more than the nearly $1.3 million that was paid out, but the insurer withheld a portion because the Trump Organization failed to produce the required receipts, the other source says.
Insurance fraud? Wonders never cease.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:53 pm Does this count as Trump investigation(s), or no?
When a deluge flooded the Trump Organization’s Westchester County golf course and a nearby town in 2011, the organization used a wildly inflated claim to score an insurance payout of nearly $1.3 million, pulling in far more than what it spent to repair the course, two people tell Rolling Stone. The previously unreported insurance claim at Trump National Golf Club in the Village of Briarcliff Manor far outstripped the cost to repair the damages, which were about $130,000 to $150,000, one of the sources says.

One of the sources, a former Briarcliff employee, says superficial repairs were made to the damaged parts of the course. “The work was never completed,” the former employee says. “They basically band-aided it.” The Trump Organization had sought even more than the nearly $1.3 million that was paid out, but the insurer withheld a portion because the Trump Organization failed to produce the required receipts, the other source says.
Insurance fraud? Wonders never cease.
He really is nothing more then a small town embezzler.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Breaking: Trump loses executive privilege case. Federal judge Tanya Chutkan has ruled that the US House Select Committee should have access to records from his presidency about Jan. 6. @kpolantz reports
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW this was expected - now we see the composition of the appeal panel that gets selected to review the decision. That is where the odds for delay increase.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:FWIW this was expected - now we see the composition of the appeal panel that gets selected to review the decision. That is where the odds for delay increase.
Yes, but one of the comments in the denial was that the argument was poorly written. That doesn't bode well with the deadline coming up quick.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:17 am
malchior wrote:FWIW this was expected - now we see the composition of the appeal panel that gets selected to review the decision. That is where the odds for delay increase.
Yes, but one of the comments in the denial was that the argument was poorly written. That doesn't bode well with the deadline coming up quick.
Yeah I saw mention of that too. From everything I've read there is not much semblance of a legitimate reason to grant an injunction pending a review.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Is their counter argument that Trump is indeed King?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am Is their counter argument that Trump is indeed King?
He did and is operating above the law, so in that sense, he’s similar.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:20 am
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:17 am
Yeah I saw mention of that too. From everything I've read there is not much semblance of a legitimate reason to grant an injunction pending a review.
And yet, there are a lot of appellate judges who wouldn't let that stop them from granting said injunction.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:51 amAnd yet, there are a lot of appellate judges who wouldn't let that stop them from granting said injunction.
Yep - still I'm half expecting the appeals court to slap it down and watch SCOTUS apply the brakes.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Over under on a last minute block? It is Trump so I think it happens.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:10 pm Over under on a last minute block? It is Trump so I think it happens.
I feel like it depends how cynical you are. Like, is the SCOTUS operating from far right conservative principles, or would they just be approaching this from a "let's just delay this so the libs don't get Trump" perspective. If it's the former, it's kind of 50/50 whether they stop it. If it's the latter, then it's 100%.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Shocking nobody he's filed to have it blocked while his appeal is heard. Based on the previous judgements this shouldn't happen, but of course it will. Master of abusing the court systems.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

While all the lawyers argue, let's check in on Trump

The former president has an envoy ambassador and is conducting foreign policy
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I feel great that he's playing fake government in an area that kicked off a world war...What could go wrong?
Last edited by Octavious on Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Every time Trump loses a case, or he's reminded he's no longer the president, this is how I like to imagine he takes it.

Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

I came here to post the same thing. This is just crazy pants shit. I wonder who is paying for it. It sure ain't Trump.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably Bannon with all his podcast money. Someone should look into whatever happened to that guy.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Do we need to hire a Logan Act enforcer?

It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Logan Act violations are prioritized along with Hatch Act violations at the bottom of the DOJ trash bin.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seriously, who keeps paying for all this?

There is a new filing Trump's executive privilege case.

Three times this week, the court rejected his attempts to obtain a preliminary injunction to prevent Congress from getting the documents at 6 pm Friday.

Now he's in the appellate court.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:06 pm Seriously, who keeps paying for all this?
I swear to Pancake I just read that "donations" he received in the month after January 6th alone were over $200,000,000. Yes million...
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh look they granted his request. I'm shocked. We're so fucked. Looks like the appeal will be heard Nov. 30th. And if that fails? TO THE SUPREME COURT bitches. It's going to be so easy for him to run out the clock again. I hate him so much.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/11/politics ... index.html

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unreal.

We are so done.