Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:55 pm South Carolina
A lawyer from a prominent South Carolina legal family who found his wife and son shot to death at their home three months ago and was injured days ago when a bullet grazed his head as he changed a tire was taking money from his law firm, the business said late Monday.

The statement from PMPED law firm came hours after Alex Murdaugh said he was resigning and entering rehab.

The PMPED law firm said it will hire an accounting firm to fully review its books. It didn't say how much money might be missing, but said Murdaugh was no longer associated with them in any way.
The statement came two days after investigators said Murdaugh was able to call 911 after he was hurt Saturday afternoon on Salkehatchie Road in Hampton County.

“Alex resigned after being accused of diverting lawyer fees from the firm," said Murdaugh’s attorney Jim Griffin. "These allegations prompted him to confront a dependency and he voluntarily checked into an in-patient substance abuse rehab facility after being discharged from the hospital today.”
I'm just waiting on his murder for hire, embezzlement, and faking an attack for a botched suicide attempt charges.
Sounds like a drug debt or similar.

"PMPED"? Really?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:41 pm "PMPED"? Really?
They have too many partners to spell out...
Peters Murdaugh Parker Eltzroth and Detrick, PA
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:52 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:41 pm "PMPED"? Really?
They have too many partners to spell out...
Peters Murdaugh Parker Eltzroth and Detrick, PA
It ain't easy.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:13 pm "Your son Timmy, it seems, didn't work and play well with others. How do you think that factored into the events of that morning, Mrs. Smith?"

Seriously, and inappropriate jokes aside, what relevance do the grades of kindergartener victims have for the defense? What possible information would these papers contain that would, in any way, be relevant to the murder's actions or Remington's liability/lack thereof?
We don't understand it, because we are human beings. They are lawyers, a totally different species. Its not possible for us to understand their weird and twisted ways.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, I think I understand it. It's the weird collision of grasping for straws and a lack of human decency. It's not all lawyers, but these guys are a special breed.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remember that some people still think that the shooting was a false flag operation with "crisis actors". Maybe they're trying to sow seeds of doubt with that angle. No idea. But people are fucked up. More and more of them. Joe Rogan has Alex "Sandy Hook is a Hoax" Jones on his podcast. People buy horse dewormer to fight a non-parasitic viral infection.

Is it any real shock that lawyers might try to harness our group insanity?

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If nothing else, they may be thinking that if they lose this particular case, they can turn it into a political issue rather than a legal issue going forwards, thus out of the realm of reason and into the realm of passion - with a packed Supreme Court.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SC
The South Carolina Supreme Court suspended the law license of a Lowcountry attorney who was wounded two months after his wife and son were killed in Colleton County.

An order filed by the state’s high court on Wednesday states Alex Murdaugh’s license to practice law in South Carolina “is suspended until further order” of the court.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:35 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:43 pm
Their defense is obligated to do this.
But to do what? How in even the most remote and possible weak way could this server them? I can't even think of a scummy way it would be used, tbh.
They're following a playbook. Turn over every stone in order to try to find a way to lower the dollar value of a particular human life.
A legal source familiar with the case, who was not authorized to speak about the pending litigation, told TIME that it is routine in wrongful death lawsuits for the defense team to subpoena education and medical records to determine damages.

“It may sound crass,” the source says, “but at the end of the day, the jury is asked to put a dollar number on the decedent’s life.” Employment files that show salaries, for example, help determine that figure. And while a report card from kindergarten might not, the source says those files, while lower-level, are part of the overall procedure to gather every piece of information.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Love the qualifiers...

"It may sound crass..." --> Because it is.
"While a report card from kindergarten might not [help put a dollar number on a life]..." --> It most certainly won't.

Absurd, even if it's the standard in most cases.

"Jimmy's worth less than Jenny because Jimmy got a check on his Kindergarten letter-writing exercise, while Jenny got a check-plus." Let me know how that fares for y'all in court.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:55 pm South Carolina
A lawyer from a prominent South Carolina legal family who found his wife and son shot to death at their home three months ago and was injured days ago when a bullet grazed his head as he changed a tire was taking money from his law firm, the business said late Monday.
I'm just waiting on his murder for hire, embezzlement, and faking an attack for a botched suicide attempt charges.
CNN
A prominent South Carolina lawyer whose wife and son were shot and killed three months ago arranged for a man to kill him so that his surviving son could collect a life insurance payout of about $10 million, authorities said late Tuesday.
Murdaugh admitted to authorities Monday that he had conspired with the man to kill him as part of a suicidal fraud scheme, according to an affidavit to support charges against the alleged gunman.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:18 pm WaPo
The Maryland man accused of killing five in a mass shooting at the newspaper offices of the Capital Gazette has admitted his guilt, days before his trial was slated to begin.
CNN
A man who killed five employees of Maryland's Capital Gazette newspaper in 2018 was sentenced Tuesday to spend the rest of his life in jail, prosecutors say.

Jarrod Ramos was sentenced to five life sentences without parole, plus one life sentence, plus 345 years, according to Anne Arundel County State's Attorney spokesperson Tia Lewis.

All sentences will run consecutively, the state's attorney's office said.
Ramos had pleaded guilty but not criminally responsible in October 2019 to 23 counts, including murder, setting up this year's trial, at which a jury was asked to determine his mental state at the time of the shooting.

The trial began in late June following delays for a variety of reasons, including Covid-19, the Capital Gazette reported. The jury needed less than two hours to reach its verdict.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alex Jones, the radio host and right-wing provocateur, will be financially responsible for damages to parents of two children who were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, a Texas judge ruled this week
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

All default judgements because they couldn't get their shit together. But they will still make it all about free speech and the Deep State keeping Jones down. So tired of that guy

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Here's a new take.

SUVs loaded with gunman pull up to a house and begin shooting. Occupants of the house return fire. One of the assaulting gunmen is killed and several people are injured. SWAT arrives, takes everyone into custody. CCSAO declines to file any felony charges, citing "mutual combat."
CHICAGO — No charges will be filed in connection to a SWAT standoff in the city’s North Austin neighborhood Friday, marking the second instance within a week where the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office has not pursued charges in a case connected to a death.

Friday morning, residents in North Austin were surrounded by a heavy police and SWAT presence after officers were called to a home near the corner of West Potomac Avenue and North Mason Avenue.

Two vehicles then pulled up, with occupants leaving the cars and firing shots towards a home.

The people inside the home returned fire, eventually killing one of the gunmen from outside, with multiple other people being injured.

The article also mentions another case where two kids were in a fist fight and one knocked the other kid down. The first kid pulls out a knife and stabs the other kid, who it still on the ground, in the neck, killing him. Basically a finishing move, all caught on video. CCSAO? No charges, mutual combat.

And we wonder why there are rolling shootouts with automatic weapons at 4pm downtown. And then there's Dick Durbin.

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Mutual combat....
Last edited by stimpy on Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

[ignorance]how is mutual combat not felonious[/ignorance] Also, how do you not charge everyone who rolls up to a house and open fires? Maybe charge the people inside based on circumstance, I dunno anything about them, but two cars of gunmen suggests at least 2 people, more than the amount killed.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh look, another rolling shootout (this is now a thing).
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A 16-year-old boy has died after an apparent shootout Monday night between two cars on the North Side.

The teen was a passenger in a vehicle near the 2400-block of West Cuyler Avenue in North Center just after 10:50 p.m. when someone in a Dodge sedan shot at the vehicle, Chicago police said.

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:44 am [ignorance]how is mutual combat not felonious[/ignorance] Also, how do you not charge everyone who rolls up to a house and open fires? Maybe charge the people inside based on circumstance, I dunno anything about them, but two cars of gunmen suggests at least 2 people, more than the amount killed.
Yeah, even Lightfoot is questioning the decision. But hey, if you want to experience the Wild West we've got hotel space.
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx says there is "insufficient evidence" and now Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, who is a former prosecutor herself, is not happy. Foxx even cited "mutual combat" in this case, as it was reportedly gangs shooting at one another.

It happened in the 1200 block of Mason in Austin around 11 a.m. last Friday. The shooting was caught on a pod camera and police say more than 70 shots were fired. Two groups of gang members were shooting at each other. One of the alleged shooters died and two others were wounded.

"She's got to explain to the public, why? Given that evidence, a pod camera right there that captured the entire thing and police officers on the scene in uniform, and a squad car there, why that isn't enough," said a furious Mayor Lightfoot.
It would take a lot of work to put together a case so...mutual combat, everyone goes free. The CCSAO is amateur hour.

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

When you allow mutual combat, the situation will escalate.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:20 am Here's a new take.

SUVs loaded with gunman pull up to a house and begin shooting. Occupants of the house return fire. One of the assaulting gunmen is killed and several people are injured. SWAT arrives, takes everyone into custody. CCSAO declines to file any felony charges, citing "mutual combat."
CHICAGO — No charges will be filed in connection to a SWAT standoff in the city’s North Austin neighborhood Friday, marking the second instance within a week where the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office has not pursued charges in a case connected to a death.

Friday morning, residents in North Austin were surrounded by a heavy police and SWAT presence after officers were called to a home near the corner of West Potomac Avenue and North Mason Avenue.

Two vehicles then pulled up, with occupants leaving the cars and firing shots towards a home.

The people inside the home returned fire, eventually killing one of the gunmen from outside, with multiple other people being injured.

The article also mentions another case where two kids were in a fist fight and one knocked the other kid down. The first kid pulls out a knife and stabs the other kid, who it still on the ground, in the neck, killing him. Basically a finishing move, all caught on video. CCSAO? No charges, mutual combat.

And we wonder why there are rolling shootouts with automatic weapons at 4pm downtown. And then there's Dick Durbin.
I can't believe the guy picked up the shell then put it down. When they run prints they will arrest him. :)
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Mutual combat is not even wild west. They are essentially dealing with it like a military free fire zone. In a major city. You're right that is new and they've essentially decided they are fine picking up bodies as long as they are only 'combatants'. Let's see how that works out for the local neighborhoods. I have a different solution. Can the prosecutor who made that call. Replace them with someone who isn't an unserious clown.

Edit: Upon further thought I am guessing this is an elected prosecutor, right? If so, cool. Good luck.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:55 am Mutual combat is not even wild west. They are essentially dealing with it like a military free fire zone. In a major city. You're right that is new and they've essentially decided they are fine picking up bodies as long as they are only 'combatants'. Let's see how that works out for the local neighborhoods. I have a different solution. Can the prosecutor who made that call. Replace them with someone who isn't an unserious clown.
There was a traffic fatality of an uninvolved passenger in one of the rolling gun battles. Hard to keep track of, but this weekend I think. One of the shooting cars crashed I to a bystander car and a 37 year old woman was killed and the other occupant taken to the hospital. Just outside our neighborhood. There were also several bystanders shot in the Loop gun battle that stretched over 1.5 miles.
malchior wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:55 am Edit: Upon further thought I am guessing this is an elected prosecutor, right? If so, cool. Good luck.
Yeah, it's elected. This being Chicago, it is essentially decided during the primary. Which went like this:

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

It didn't help that Conway was a turd of a different flavor.

Edit;
Opps, I'm thinking of O'Brien. 2020 was a long time ago.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:15 pm It didn't help that Conway was a turd of a different flavor.
True. Turd is always on the menu at the One Party Diner. Doesn't matter what the party is.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
Nikolas Cruz will plead guilty next Wednesday to killing 14 students and three staff members at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., his defense team says.

With the admission of guilt in the 2018 mass shooting, Cruz's legal team will focus on the penalty phase of the trial, hoping to secure a punishment of 17 consecutive life sentences for their client, rather than the death penalty that prosecutors are seeking.

The timeline for Cruz, 23, to plead guilty emerged during a hearing Friday morning where he pleaded guilty to felony battery on a law enforcement officer. In that case, Cruz was accused of hitting and kicking a prison guard and trying to take his Taser.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I didn't realize that he wasn't even a student there anymore. It's amazing to me how many people are ok with kids getting slaughtered at school. We've done absolutely nothing about preventing this kind of stuff. It's so depressing. I'm starting to think maybe I should change my avatar. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
Alex Murdaugh, the embattled South Carolina lawyer accused of plotting his own killing as part of a life insurance scheme, was denied bond Tuesday after facing new charges tied to the embezzling of millions of dollars related to the death of his housekeeper.

Circuit Court Judge Clifton Newman ordered Murdaugh to undergo a psychiatric evaluation following concerns he presents a potential danger to himself and the community. Murdaugh had already been out on another $20,000 personal recognizance bond in September and was allowed to continue treatment at an out-of-state drug detox center for opioid addiction.

Authorities arrested him in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday and charged him with two felony counts of obtaining property by false pretenses, which each carry a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Texas woman points gun at 7-year-old for trick-or-treating outside her home
A Buda woman was arrested after authorities say she pulled a gun on a young child who was trick-or-treating outside her home on Quarter Avenue. Hays County deputies say 35-year-old Monica Bradford pointed the weapon at a 7-year-old on Halloween night.

Thankfully the child was not hurt, as police quickly rushed into this normally quiet neighborhood.

"There were cops at the end of our street. They stopped us and said nobody’s allowed to go down this street, there’s an incident with a gun involved," said one neighbor who lives across the street.

Police were able to make contact peacefully with Bradford but were prepared for the worst.

"Some had guns drawn, some just had their rifles at the ready," said the neighbor.
Bradford was taken into custody and brought to the Hays County Jail, but neighbors say this isn’t the first time police have been at the home in question.
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:09 pm Texas woman points gun at 7-year-old for trick-or-treating outside her home
A Buda woman was arrested after authorities say she pulled a gun on a young child who was trick-or-treating outside her home on Quarter Avenue. Hays County deputies say 35-year-old Monica Bradford pointed the weapon at a 7-year-old on Halloween night.

Thankfully the child was not hurt, as police quickly rushed into this normally quiet neighborhood.

"There were cops at the end of our street. They stopped us and said nobody’s allowed to go down this street, there’s an incident with a gun involved," said one neighbor who lives across the street.

Police were able to make contact peacefully with Bradford but were prepared for the worst.

"Some had guns drawn, some just had their rifles at the ready," said the neighbor.
Bradford was taken into custody and brought to the Hays County Jail, but neighbors say this isn’t the first time police have been at the home in question.
Enlarge Image
When I say 1 per kid, I mean 1 per kid!!!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
Multiple people were injured in a shooting Tuesday at Oxford High School in suburban Detroit, authorities said.

A suspected shooter is in custody, according to Michael McCabe, undersheriff with the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. A handgun was also located, he said.

The shooting happened just before 1 p.m. McCabe said between four to six people have been injured and there are no confirmed fatalities at this time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
A 15-year-old opened fire at his Michigan high school Tuesday, killing at least three people and wounding eight, said police, who took the suspect into custody and recovered a semiautomatic handgun.

The shooter is a sophomore at Oxford High School, about 40 miles north of Detroit, Oakland County Undersheriff Mike McCabe said. Authorities have not identified the suspect, and McCabe said they don’t yet know what motivated the attack.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The number of people that think this was done to distract us from the Maxwell trial makes me sad.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just assume that 10% of our population are idiots or trolls.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:52 pm Just assume that 10% of our population are idiots or trolls.
That doesn't make me not sad.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Came here looking for this.

My wife was a preschool teacher at her church, in city neighboring Oxford.
A friend of one of the kids she used to watch was shot. (Don't know, but don't think it was one of the ones that died).

Another sad day. :(
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 pm Came here looking for this.

A friend of one of the kids she used to watch was shot. (Don't know, but don't think it was one of the ones that died).

:(
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zenn7 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 pm Came here looking for this.

:(

That's all the radio is talking about this morning. I'm no where near there, but my heart is still broken. To listen to everyone, students inclusive, talk about the procedures they've been through to prepare for such things is just horror inducing to me. The burden that children have to bare that I'm not exposed to at the local level, no words.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's a video out there of 3 kids in a barricaded classroom listening to what they're saying is the shooter outside the door telling them he's with the Sheriff's Dept. and that it's all clear. The kids are too smart for him though and they don't budge. Eventually, the shooter uses the word "bro" at the end of one of his pleas for them to open the door, and one of the kids in the classroom just says "he said bro, red flag" while another directs them out a window.

It's a heartbreaking and terrifying video. :(
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:38 am
Amen

Too bad he lost the entire 2A crowd when he slipped and put ‘military style’ in front of ‘gun/rifle’.

Nomenclature has to be exact or the whole argument is dumped as ‘ignorant about guns liberals spouting off again’.

At least he didn’t use the super trigger term: AR-15