Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Shootings

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:44 pm Looks like they got him. HPPD about to announce.
Spoiler:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, it sounds like he ran up Hwy 41 - north (likely headed to Wisconsin), and was stopped in Lake Forest.

I get my dog groomed one traffic light south of that intersection (and down Old Elm Rd a bit)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

He apparently had quite the online presence, but stuff is disappearing. What a mess. Shooting up a 4th of July parade has to be peak America.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently there was about 10 months of planning detailed in a YouTube channel. It has been removed but I saw one video that had the emergency alert tones playing and the camera moved in reverse (viewpoint moving backwards) along the road the parade followed.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wait, I thought cops were supposed to shoot people 60 times then handcuff their corpse to the steering wheel when they a) are armed and b) have the audacity to flee and/or disobey commands.

So weird that didn’t happen here…
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Dystopia.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

msteelers wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:03 pm I hope all of the Chicago area OO’ers are safe.

Something happening today is sad and all too predictable.
As I suspected, my boss and his entire family (children, grandchildren) were at the parade. Thankfully none of them were injured, but my boss plays basketball with 4 of the people who were shot/injured.
Without a doubt, I know other people who were there.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 pm And Highland Park isn't even included in the City of Chicago total:

As of 7:00a July 4: 10 killed, 48 wounded

Friday 7/1
10:50p 2200 S Wentworth, Armour Square, F/24
10:50p 2200 S Wentworth, Armour Square, F/42
Both employees on campus where I work.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And once again, gun legally obtained.

We're going to get the typical talking points about focusing on mental health, but the real issue is that these people can get hold of high-powered rifles legally. It's a MUCH easier problem to solve than trying to solve and predict every instance of a mental health issue.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:30 am And once again, gun legally obtained.

We're going to get the typical talking points about focusing on mental health, but the real issue is that these people can get hold of high-powered rifles legally. It's a MUCH easier problem to solve than trying to solve and predict every instance of a mental health issue.
Still no detail on the type of rifle but Highland Park has a ban on AR and AK pattern rifles. Not that a ban stops someone from bringing one from the next city over.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:28 am
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:30 am And once again, gun legally obtained.

Still no detail on the type of rifle but Highland Park has a ban on AR and AK pattern rifles. Not that a ban stops someone from bringing one from the next city over.
And that's why anti-gun laws are pretty useless.
How would a law like that ever get enforced?
Laws like that are made just to make politicians feel good about themselves. "Look....we did something".
This way they have never have to actually.....you know....address the true issue, which is that those types of guns have no place being made and sold to the general public. They need to go to the source. Not try to use bubblegum to plug the dam which has already burst
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What we need to do is change direction and fight to include rocket launchers, grenades and thermonuclear weapons as 2nd amendment protected rights if the purpose of the 2nd amendment is to truly defend against a government gone rogue, and not really just a way for folks to show off how big they think their penis is at this point in our history.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:41 am

Laws like that are made just to make politicians feel good about themselves. "Look....we did something".
This way they have never have to actually.....you know....address the true issue, which is that those types of guns have no place being made and sold to the general public. They need to go to the source. Not try to use bubblegum to plug the dam which has already burst
They can confiscate anything found in violation and they can arrest people who possess them. It's about all municipality can do. A town like Highland Park can't stop Smith & Wesson from making and selling an M&P15. That falls on federal legislators.

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:18 pm

They can confiscate anything found in violation and they can arrest people who possess them. It's about all municipality can do. A town like Highland Park can't stop Smith & Wesson from making and selling an M&P15. That falls on federal legislators.
And that's why the law as written is useless. Unless of course you walk around flaunting your AK at the local Whole Foods.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:04 pm What we need to do is change direction and fight to include rocket launchers, grenades and thermonuclear weapons as 2nd amendment protected rights if the purpose of the 2nd amendment is to truly defend against a government gone rogue, and not really just a way for folks to show off how big they think their penis is at this point in our history.
I'm on board with that. De-escalating and reducing guns is off the table obviously. Let's try the other direction and REALLY see how much damage we can do to each other and just open EVERYthing up. I've always wanted a tank!

It's time to stop pussyfooting around and just let people use whatever the hell they want. Tiny stinger missiles on the golfcarts that constantly zoom around my neighborhood. Mounted .50 MG's on recreational boats. It will be an awesome show of constant one-upmanship. Bikes with holsters for a LAW when someone in a car cuts you off.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:21 pm

And that's why the law as written is useless. Unless of course you walk around flaunting your AK at the local Whole Foods.
It's not useless. It's highly ineffective but not completely useless. And it's the only remedy they have. .

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:28 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:21 pm

It's not useless. It's highly ineffective but not completely useless. And it's the only remedy they have. .
I would love to see some data on just how many AKs or ARs have been confiscated by Highland Park under that law.
I'd venture to say the number is slightly more than zero.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stimpy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:30 pm
I would love to see some data on just how many AKs or ARs have been confiscated by Highland Park under that law.
How many residents don't own an AR/AK because of it? Because that's the actual measure of success. How many people follow the law, not how many break it.

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:35 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:30 pm
How many residents don't own an AR/AK because of it? Because that's the actual measure of success. How many people follow the law, not how many break it.
Are the people following the law the most likely to go on a shooting spree?
No, so how many law-abiding citizens dont have an assault rifle is of little consequence and no measure of success at all.

I did find this on Deerfield following in HPs footsteps.

https://jwcdaily.com/2018/04/04/deerfie ... t-weapons/

They emphasize that confiscation is not the goal. Education is.
They must have alot of faith in their fellow citizen.
Good luck with that.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

He was from Highland Park (Parents/ childhood) but was living in Highwood (no ban), just north of Highland Park.

Doesn't change the broader conversation, but just wanted that point out there.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Cool. Cool. So they go in and confiscate tons of his weapons, no one presses charges, he stews a few years, buys a rifle *legally* by all sounds, and then goes on to massacre the towns folk. If only we could have seen it coming.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

An obvious gap there in FOID issuing, not sure if it's a law that keeps them from 'red flagging' future applications, or if it's a gap in their procedure? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, as we have some red flag laws in Illinois, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps they just didn't apply here?
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

What scum. Hopefully this shooter gets what's coming to him.

I've been involved in the aftermath of a major 50 plus dead shooting. And having to be guarded by cops with assault rifles because the 4chan nutters are so thrilled they are egging and threatening to hit the cops. Its awful. It changes you.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

The thing is the gun lobby have made it easy for the nutjobs and criminals to get weapons.

Its illegal for the ATF to publish where criminals are buying guns from.

Five states allow students to carry concealed guns on college campuses.

Some states allow you to bring guns into daycare centers, churches, and even “gun-free zones”. MI requires 8 hours training.

You don’t have to be 18-years-old or sober to lawfully use a gun in some states

In Missouri, it’s not a crime for an intoxicated person to handle or fire a gun, so long as they were acting in self-defense.

Eight states have passed resolutions stating that guns made and manufactured in-state shouldn’t be subject to federal regulation: Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, Arizona, Tennessee and Alaska.

In Minnesota, violent felons can petition a court to regain their gun rights by showing “good cause.” There is no waiting period. In Ohio, a violent felon need only demonstrate to a judge that he or she has “led a law-abiding life” since they’ve left prison. In Washington State, felons can get their gun rights restored as long as they haven’t been convicted of any new crimes in five years. Under Washington State’s Hard Times for Armed Crimes Act, judges actually have no discretion to deny restoration based on a felon’s character or mental health.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Honestly, this country sucks the biggest set of fly-ridden donkey balls I've never wanted to even imagine.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:07 pm An obvious gap there in FOID issuing, not sure if it's a law that keeps them from 'red flagging' future applications, or if it's a gap in their procedure? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, as we have some red flag laws in Illinois, to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps they just didn't apply here?
Someone has to petition the court to activate the Illinois firearm restraining order. The incidents described by the police occurred before he had his firearms, it sounds like.

He'd also still be eligible for his FOID since none of the incidents resulted in [felony?] charges.

MYT
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Well, didn't take long to get her (MTG) spin:
"Two shootings on July 4: One in a rich white neighborhood and the other at a fireworks display," Greene said during Tuesday's episode of her online show MTG:Live. "It almost sounds like it's designed to persuade Republicans to go along with more gun control."

Greene raised questions about the shootings occurring as soon as America hit "MAGA month" when there weren't widespread shootings during Pride parades in June. She acknowledged it sounded like a "conspiracy theory."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yes,.just two shootings on July 4. If there were more, one would almost think there was a conspiracy to underreport.

Thank goodness Magic The Gathering is on the case.

Independence Day, Chicago
12:15a 6500 S King, Grand Crossing, M/17
12:15a 6500 S King, Grand Crossing, M/19
12:15a 6500 S King, Grand Crossing, M/19
12:15a 6500 S King, Grand Crossing, M/25
12:15a 6500 S King, Grand Crossing, M/30
12:40a 2400 E 72nd, South Shore, M/25
1:05a 5600 S Marshfield, Englewood, M/35
1:30a 4600 S Indiana, Grand Boulevard, M/34
1:30a 5700 S Lake Shore, Hyde Park, M/40
1:50a 400 E Erie, Near North Side, M/39
2:40a 1800 N Sawyer, Humboldt Park, M/40
6:20a 7000 S Maplewood, Chicago Lawn, M/31
7:45a 700 S Independence, Garfield Park, M/29
2:45p 3200 W Washington, Garfield Park, M/35
5:50p 8400 S Aberdeen, Auburn Gresham, F/59
7:10p 13100 S St Lawrence, Riverdale, M/28
7:40p 4200 W Arthington, Garfield Park, M/36
8:20p 9700 S Wallace, Washington Heights, M/19
9:50p 2500 W Potomac, West Town, M/33
10:10p 4300 W Crystal, Humboldt Park, M/5
10:20p 1400 N Leamington, Austin, M/17
10:20p 1400 N Leamington, Austin, M/18
10:30p 10600 S Prairie, Roseland, M/43
10:30p 4800 S Loomis, New City, M/32
10:45p 2900 W 64th, Chicago Lawn, F/46
11:15p 6900 S Justine, Englewood, M/46
11:45p 700 N Springfield, Humboldt Park, M/28

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Two people were killed and three wounded in shootings before dawn Monday at four 7-Eleven stores in Southern California and authorities said they were seeking a lone gunman in at least three of the shootings.

The shootings appear to have occurred after robberies or attempted robberies at the four convenience stores on July 11, or 7/11 — a day when the national 7-Eleven brand is celebrating its 95th birthday by giving out free Slurpee drinks.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 pm NBC News
Alex Murdaugh, the embattled South Carolina lawyer accused of plotting his own killing as part of a life insurance scheme, was denied bond Tuesday after facing new charges tied to the embezzling of millions of dollars related to the death of his housekeeper.
CNN
Disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh has been indicted for the 2021 murders of his wife and son by a Colleton County grand jury.
A source with knowledge of the investigation into the death of his wife and son told CNN that blood spatter found on Murdaugh's clothing could place him at the scene of the killings of his wife and son.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The Uvalde investigation didn't pull any punches. Apparently, in a truly Texan analogy: "there were more cops outside Uvalde school than there were defenders at the Alamo", 376 to be exact, VAST majority were Feds (149 Border Patrol, 91 State Police, 25 Uvalde police, 16 Sheriff's deputies, 5 school police, plus some DEA, US Marshals, and neighboring county LEOs). But NOBODY took charge, after the school police chief didn't step forward, there was no incident commander, no strategy, no planning, nothing.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And, of course he ghosted them...
Gov. Greg Abbott did not attend a single funeral for any of the 19 children or two teachers killed mass shooting at Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde, Texas on May 24, according to his schedule, which was obtained through an open records request by ABC News.

Abbott's schedule from May 25 to June 14 indicates that his last visit to Uvalde was on June 5 to attend a community worship event at the Uvalde County Fairplex. However, missing from the schedule is any mention of Uvalde victim funerals. The last funeral held in Uvalde for victims was on June 16, when 11-year-old Layla Salazar was laid to rest.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, school police aren't a good answer... at least not at the rates that schools can afford:
Bonds and Folmar appear to be part of a wider pattern of school resource officers being removed from their positions due to sexual misconduct. In late 2021, an anonymous source reached out to DAME with data collected from local news reports. Within that data alone, which DAME fact-checked, at least 440 school children have been sexually abused by school police at their school in the last 20 years. After consulting experts in the field and assessing the accuracy of this small sample size, DAME concludes that incidents of police sexual misconduct in schools are likely underreported.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:45 am Yeah, school police aren't a good answer... at least not at the rates that schools can afford:
Bonds and Folmar appear to be part of a wider pattern of school resource officers being removed from their positions due to sexual misconduct. In late 2021, an anonymous source reached out to DAME with data collected from local news reports. Within that data alone, which DAME fact-checked, at least 440 school children have been sexually abused by school police at their school in the last 20 years. After consulting experts in the field and assessing the accuracy of this small sample size, DAME concludes that incidents of police sexual misconduct in schools are likely underreported.
That's definitely a problem but so are schools in general.
In their 2000 survey on 2064 students in 8th through 11th grade, the American Association of University Women (AAUW) reported:

81% or eight out of 10 students experience sexual harassment in school
83% of girls have been sexually harassed
78% of boys have been sexually harassed
38% of the students were harassed by teachers or school employees
36% of school employees or teachers were harassed by students
42% of school employees or teachers had been harassed by each other

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey check this out. This happened at MY Walmart. I shop there all the time. Its close. Weirdos.

Man accused of making threats, firing gun at Cleveland Walmart arrested
Cleveland police and Bradley County deputies responded to the Walmart location on Treasury Drive where they say 58-year-old Doyle Ruben Herron fired a gun in the parking lot after saying he was going to “take the place by storm”.
Police say Herron initially refused to drop his weapon and tried to hit an officer in the face.
Police say Herron was taken in to custody after five officers arrived at the scene and he tazed twice.
Herron is charged with reckless endangerment and two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of assaulting an officer and resisting arrest.
He is being held at the Bradley County Jail without bond.
Thousand wonders he didn't get himself shot and killed. Anywhere else he probably would have. I think they should up the charges to terrorist lvl.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:08 pm
[urlhttps://www.local3news.com/local-news/man-accus ... a7fe3.html]Man accused of making threats, firing gun at Cleveland Walmart arrested[/url]
That url link isn't set up right. :ninja:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Works for me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's not that the link doesn't work. You just left out the =

Man accused of making threats, firing gun at Cleveland Walmart arrested