Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Shootings

Post by Pyperkub »

Texas is also *really* messed up. (and yes, this is a dailymail article isg - sorry, but that's what I saw)

Here's a Houston link
Weeping mom blasts Texas grand jury for DECLINING to indict man who accidentally shot and killed her daughter, 9, as he fired nine shots at man who'd just robbed him at ATM

Gwen Alvarez spoke out after a grand jury in Texas declined to indict Tony Earls for killing her daughter
In February, Earls was hunting down a man who had just robbed him when he opened fire on a Houston street
He fired at the Alvarez family's SUV, mistaking it for one the robber hopped into, and killed Arlene Alvarez
He was originally charged with aggravated assault but a Grand Jury declined to indict on Tuesday
Gwen, the girl's mother, said he fired nine shots at their vehicle, knowing he was 'going to kill'
Seriously? Just start shooting into an SUV, killing a kid, and you get off scot free? Wow.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This picture...jesus. :cry:

This truly despicable person can fuck off past all eternity...then continue fucking off some more.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:40 pm Texas is also *really* messed up. (and yes, this is a dailymail article isg - sorry, but that's what I saw)

Here's a Houston link
Weeping mom blasts Texas grand jury for DECLINING to indict man who accidentally shot and killed her daughter, 9, as he fired nine shots at man who'd just robbed him at ATM

Gwen Alvarez spoke out after a grand jury in Texas declined to indict Tony Earls for killing her daughter
In February, Earls was hunting down a man who had just robbed him when he opened fire on a Houston street
He fired at the Alvarez family's SUV, mistaking it for one the robber hopped into, and killed Arlene Alvarez
He was originally charged with aggravated assault but a Grand Jury declined to indict on Tuesday
Gwen, the girl's mother, said he fired nine shots at their vehicle, knowing he was 'going to kill'
Seriously? Just start shooting into an SUV, killing a kid, and you get off scot free? Wow.
Absolutely horrible. Unjustified shooting and that guy should do time and should never be allowed to carry a firearm again. It's textbook "everything you shouldn't do" when armed.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:06 pm This picture...jesus. :cry:

Expect it to show up in conservative campaign ads, misattributred and condemning public schools. Right next to the Whermacht soldiers said to be US Marines.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

malchior wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:05 pm How long until we start to start honor them for how they died for our freedom?
Never. History suggests it’s much more likely they and their families will be harassed and mocked as paid actors in some elaborate deep state, liberal agenda.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:06 pm This truly despicable person can fuck off past all eternity...then continue fucking off some more.
I’ll also note that if it does, in fact, come out that the shooter is indeed trans, it doesn’t make any of her statement any less vile.

And, sadly, it would be used - specifically by people like MTG - to significantly ramp up the attack on already marginalized and significantly at-risk population.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:40 pm Texas is also *really* messed up. (and yes, this is a dailymail article isg - sorry, but that's what I saw)

Here's a Houston link

Let the Wild, Wild West begin…again.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:19 pm

Here's a Houston link

Absolutely horrible. Unjustified shooting and that guy should do time and should never be allowed to carry a firearm again. It's textbook "everything you shouldn't do" when armed.
HIs fellow citizens just said it was justified. Throw away the textbooks about gun safety. They are meaningless.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

This truly despicable person can fuck off past all eternity...then continue fucking off some more.

It’s madness. Most nations would have done something after Sandy hook.

But some people seem to believe it’s more likely then not that Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton abused these shooters in their secret pizza restaurant then sent them through a hell portal to kill these children than actually putting in real controls.

Most Americans, the vast majority want real controls.
waitingtoconnect

malchior wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:33 pm HIs fellow citizens just said it was justified. Throw away the textbooks about gun safety. They are meaningless.
It’s Texas juries. They just let people off. A colleague works in Texas remotely and a neighbourhood kid got off on a drunk driving charge because his lawyer convinced the jury the breathalyser was dodgy. Despite having an open bottle of liquor in the front seat.

The utterly bonkers part of it is there is ample laws even in Texas to punish this recklessness and indifference.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

It is stupid that there are hundred of mass shooters but suddenly because there is one that is a trans, suddenly it is a trans problem.
waitingtoconnect

Yes trans people are dangerous and must be stopped. :horse:

And second amendment good first amendment bad, while the fourteenth amendment only applies to democrats.
Last edited by waitingtoconnect on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waitingtoconnect

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:22 pm

Expect it to show up in conservative campaign ads, misattributred and condemning public schools. Right next to the Whermacht soldiers said to be US Marines.
I can see it now - look what Trans people do to kids…. We need more guns.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:19 pm It is stupid that there are hundred of mass shooters but suddenly because there is one that is a trans, suddenly it is a trans problem.
Trans could very well be the first class they try to disarm this century.

MYT
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:08 pm
Hyena wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:05 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:57 pm Andy Ogles is the Congressional Rep for the Tennesse district where the school is located.

His most recent Christmas card photo (allegedly, I haven't actually seen a card):
Spoiler:
Um...at least they have good trigger discipline?

:doh:
Using guns as props kind of kills that.
No pun intended?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:19 pm It is stupid that there are hundred of mass shooters but suddenly because there is one that is a trans, suddenly it is a trans problem.
One has a suspicion there is more to this story, and possibly a significant (abusive?) history at the school for this person.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:59 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:08 pm
Hyena wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:05 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:57 pm Andy Ogles is the Congressional Rep for the Tennesse district where the school is located.

His most recent Christmas card photo (allegedly, I haven't actually seen a card):
Spoiler:
Um...at least they have good trigger discipline?

:doh:
Using guns as props kind of kills that.
No pun intended?
Yeah, not intended. "Defeats" may have been a better word.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:06 pm
Edit:
I thought this was a transgender girl (meaning, assigned male at birth), is that not the case?
Cause, a transgender girl would not be taking testosterone at all, obviously.

I went and looked it up, and I was wrong. She was born female and identified as he/him.

Also, MTGs grammar is almost as cringe-worthy as her sentiment.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:18 am
One has a suspicion there is more to this story, and possibly a significant (abusive?) history at the school for this person.
Shooter was 28 and the school goes through 6th grade. I get that childhood trauma can be forever but this is 15 years later at least. Why now?

It no more about being trans than Aurora was about Batman or Columbine was about Doom or...you name it. These are tangential details that aren't the root of the problem.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure what's happening but social media is an open sewer right now. Even in my own state, there's people trolling our governor over his suggestion that something needs to be done. They're openly posting this TN shooting was a hate crime and that the "transgenders" are rising up to commit acts of violence.

We are off the goddamn rails.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Abuse? At a private and/or religious school? Say it ain't so, Plucky!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:48 am Not sure what's happening but social media is an open sewer right now. Even in my own state, there's people trolling our governor over his suggestion that something needs to be done. They're openly posting this TN shooting was a hate crime and that the "transgenders" are rising up to commit acts of violence.

We are off the goddamn rails.
And people wonder how 1930s style fascism came to power. We should know better but it is becoming clear "we" don't care. It feels good to hate on someone else. A cycle of being terrible to others as an outlet because our country has become a miserable wasteland of a society.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I saw multiple posts this morning (all from right-wing outlets, of course) who included "transgender" in their headline. "The transgender Nashville shooter kills 6" or "Bodycam Footage of the Moment Cops Took Out the Transgender Nashville Shooter".

Funny how the orientation of every previous mass shooter was never mentioned. It's almost like they're specifically aiming to drive even more frothing hate and fear towards a particular group.

Nah, that can't be it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:47 am Shooter was 28 and the school goes through 6th grade. I get that childhood trauma can be forever but this is 15 years later at least. Why now?
As one possible reason, it might be because half of your country is attacking trans people in the media and through legislation/courts. We are seeing unprecedented targeting of trans people. Combine that will possible bigotry and abuse when at the school and you have a recipe that most people could at least comprehend. Note: Pure speculation, not even remotely based in fact.

Max is probably aware, but we have our own anti-trans squad making noise in our largest school board. And this is in Ottawa, one of the most milquetoast, uninteresting cities in a whole country made up of inoffensive polite people.

It's...geezus. What in the actual fuck is happening?
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:50 pm I saw multiple posts this morning (all from right-wing outlets, of course) who included "transgender" in their headline. "The transgender Nashville shooter kills 6" or "Bodycam Footage of the Moment Cops Took Out the Transgender Nashville Shooter".

Funny how the orientation of every previous mass shooter was never mentioned. It's almost like they're specifically aiming to drive even more frothing hate and fear towards a particular group.

Nah, that can't be it.
Or on the flip side, if they WERE to post the ethnicity/identity of every attacker it would expose the fact that most of them are WASP males that are attacking a marginalized section of our country.

Asinine.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:13 pm it would expose the fact that most of them are WASP males
I think that's a pretty well-established fact at this point...to anyone but the part of the population who isn't interested in facts anyway.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

gilraen wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:21 pm
Hyena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:13 pm it would expose the fact that most of them are WASP males
I think that's a pretty well-established fact at this point...to anyone but the part of the population who isn't interested in facts anyway.
Excellent point.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:27 pm Related to a shooting in Denver - the student body walked out and went to protest at the capitol building. One note - the shooting wasn't actually *at the school* but nearby. It killed a student who studied at this school.

I know we've moved on to a new school shooting now, but as someone local to East HS, I have to point out that the students were protesting after Luis Garcia was shot outside East in Feb. Nothing changed.

2 administrators were shot, again at East HS, on 3/22/2023.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

WTF?!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:07 pm Max is probably aware, but we have our own anti-trans squad making noise in our largest school board. And this is in Ottawa, one of the most milquetoast, uninteresting cities in a whole country made up of inoffensive polite people.

It's...geezus. What in the actual fuck is happening?
Yeah, I just saw this on the Tweeter-

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thoughts and prayers
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

They told you drag queens were the problem, maybe now you will believe them.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
waitingtoconnect

https://theconversation.com/five-types- ... oved-85364

What would the founding fathers have thought. A well regulated militia…. https://founders.archives.gov/documents ... -0016-0075
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Whether they support my views or not, the founding fathers were born 300 years ago. They were closer to the 100 Years War than they are to the second Iraqi War. They couldn't have conceived of our issues and situation, let alone accounted for them.

In my opinion, the relevance of their opinions on our society is pretty solidly irrelevant at this point beyond the level of curiosity.

And trying to decide how to run our society based on the way people thought centuries ago is absurd.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:18 pm
Abuse? At a private and/or religious school? Say it ain't so, Plucky!
This sort of talk just needs to stop now. First off, there is absolutely no evidence of anything, and the term “abuse” is being used rather loosely here.

Second, the three children murdered in cold blood certainly had nothing to do with any supposed “abuse”. All reports are that the shooter did not target anyone but fired indiscriminately at anyone she saw. There was no targeting of anyone.

Lastly, the police has said that the shooter considered and scouted other locations, including a shopping mall, but decided security was too high. Was she “abused” at the shopping mall?

Talk like this comes close to justifying and excusing this. Just stop it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

attempting to understand a person's motives is the first step in dealing with this behaviour.

Speculation is simply part of that. While it's true that speculation can turn to gossip and then "fact", that's not a reason to avoid speculating.

"I heard she killed herself because Brad was going to dump her" is not the same as "Do you think she and Brad were having relationship problems? What other aspects of her life could have influenced her actions?"

Trying to shut down discussion of motives because you don't like what is being speculated is not reasonable or likely.

You're not alone in this Grif. Other members of the board try to shutdown discussion when the topic makes them unhappy too. It's not a rare event, really. But it never works that I can recall.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

[Edit] Post deleted - trying not to add any negativity. GreenGoo summed up my thoughts.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sure, blame it on Brad.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I think it has skipped the teachers and gone straight to arming the kids...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/29/us/milwa ... index.html

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:10 am attempting to understand a person's motives is the first step in dealing with this behaviour.

Speculation is simply part of that. While it's true that speculation can turn to gossip and then "fact", that's not a reason to avoid speculating.

"I heard she killed herself because Brad was going to dump her" is not the same as "Do you think she and Brad were having relationship problems? What other aspects of her life could have influenced her actions?"

Trying to shut down discussion of motives because you don't like what is being speculated is not reasonable or likely.

You're not alone in this Grif. Other members of the board try to shutdown discussion when the topic makes them unhappy too. It's not a rare event, really. But it never works that I can recall.
It’s victim blaming, plain and simple. I thought most people were against that, maybe I was wrong. I’m pretty sure you’d jump on anyone who said, “Well, maybe that man raped that woman because of the way she was dressed. Maybe that helped motivate him. We need to understand that”.

In addition, this comment is completely ignores the comments l was responding to:

Gossip is actually what is happened in the quotes I cited. No one was really seeking to “analyze” what may have happened. Just look at what was said, “One has a suspicion . . . Possibly significant abuse” and “Abuse at a private and/or religious school - say it isn’t so!” Does that sound more like gossip or an attempt at “analysis”?

I don’t have a problem with actual analysis or seeking to really understand motivations, but this wasn’t even close to that.This victim blaming, regardless as to how you wish to frame it.