Carpet_pissr

Re: Shootings

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Meh.
2a, bitches.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sad to say that when these things happen in pro-gun states like TX and OK I just shake my head. I mean, you expect that when everybody is packing heat -- duh. I only perk up at massacres in anti-gun states.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And the pro gun people in these states will say if everybody carried guns the shooter would not have gotten that far. In the old west with the cowboy everybody just about did carry guns and this sort of thing hardly, if ever, happened.
Of course they didn't Ar-15s either. We definitely need to ban those. We can't get back those ones already sold but it would stop some kid like this from getting one. The odds of his knowing someone who would want to sell him him one are limited.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I would remind you of the shootout at the OK Corral. Which started because the cowboys were in violation of the local gun laws.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, gun control in Old West towns was pretty strict.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks to the tireless efforts of the NRA, the gun store he bought it from even had a drive thru.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I like it!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I feel like I should FOIA his 4473. In fact FOIAing 4473s may be a new hobby.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

kinda heavy.
(and I think clearly a presentation, but still)

also, I hadn't yet heard of Lockdown Generation being a term for this next generation. :(

and I'd not be happy with a teacher that had kids sing that song... (so I would like to think it's not entirely true)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not a fan of produced messages like that. I think a few crime scene photos would be a lot more effective. Terrible, but effective.

Although thinking about it, Hogg is probably trying to drum up more support from the faithful than trying to covert anyone. I'm more of the notion that conversion is the key here. So different goals.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JFC, I just...can't. From Tuffypacks.com, a site which sells "bulletproof backpacks" (complete with American flags!)

But remember, forcing kids to wear masks in school is what caused the real trauma.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Great, so the affluent kids can be protected.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Remember when they started selling miniature parachutes to office workers after 9-11?

On the other hand, I could absolutely see people buying something like this, and it will only take one picture of a kid's armored backpack with a mushroomed bullet stuck to it to make it a huge seller.

But the one thing that stands out: one of the things that most schools do to prevent shootings is prohibiting backpacks (and any other bags) during the day. They're brought to school, stored in the locker, and class supplies are retrieved and carried by hand between classes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Why screw around? Just give kids plate carriers.

But keep in mind that a typical 5.56 round imparts over 1,100 foot pounds of energy to a target. That will knock a kid down.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:53 pm
But keep in mind that a typical 5.56 round imparts over 1,100 foot pounds of energy to a target. That will knock a kid down.
and may kill them, I imagine.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:09 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:53 pm
and may kill them, I imagine.
Either way. Follow up shots are easy with an AR15.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Some politicians are pivoting back to blaming video games since they produce "fantasies of violence."

It's never mentioned that the He-Man/Goodguywithagun/Molon Labe identity pushed by the NRA is *precisely* a fantasy of violence, and of violence in the real world rather than in a video game.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tonight's new GOP talking point is that farmers need AR-15s (or equivalent) to kill raccoons and foxes threatening their chickens.

AR pattern rifles are for shooting at targets 50 or 100 or 150 meters away, minimum. A raccoon in your chicken coop (likely 15 feet or closer) asks for a pistol or a shotgun.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 pm Tonight's new GOP talking point is that farmers need AR-15s (or equivalent) to kill raccoons and foxes threatening their chickens.

AR pattern rifles are for shooting at targets 50 or 100 or 150 meters away, minimum. A raccoon in your chicken coop (likely 15 feet or closer) asks for a pistol or a shotgun.
Psst. years ago it was Grizzly Bears in Classrooms, now it's raccoons...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:12 pm Tonight's new GOP talking point is that farmers need AR-15s (or equivalent) to kill raccoons and foxes threatening their chickens.
I thought guns didn't kill. If someone really wants varmint eradication, they'll find a way. Maybe a hammer, or a knife, or an automobile.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:12 pm
I thought guns didn't kill. If someone really wants varmint eradication, they'll find a way. Maybe a hammer, or a knife, or an automobile.
Or indiscriminate poisoning of wildlife.
Zarathud

Shootings

Post by Zarathud »

Why are Republican farmers such bad shots?

And why do they suck at securing their animals?

Plus 95% of chicken farmers don’t actually own their chickens anymore.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here you go - can't wait to see what the response is.

We need to:

Ban assault weapons — and if we can’t, then we should raise the age to purchase them from 18 to 21.

Ban high-capacity magazines.

Strengthen background checks.

Enact safe storage laws and red flag laws.

Repeal gun manufacturers’ immunity from liability.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

• No, we don't, and maybe we should
  • No, we don't
  • Sure
  • No, we don't
  • No, we don't
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m guessing that’s the response you think will come from the GOP side?
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those are actually my responses.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AR pattern rifles in 5.56/.223 are actually popular because they are good a all ranges, including under 50 meters. Having said that, you don't need them for killing varmints. They work for that purpose but a shotgun works. A pistol isn't the best option but certainly a pistol caliber rifle would work. A .22 would probably work but I'd probably want a bit more for a raccoon. When I was a kid, I had to killed a rabid raccoon in the barn. I was given a shovel and my pellet gun. It wasn't pretty but the job got done.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:40 pm Those are actually my responses.
That…surprises me.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:55 pm

AR pattern rifles in 5.56/.223 are actually popular because they are good a all ranges, including under 50 meters. Having said that, you don't need them for killing varmints. They work for that purpose but a shotgun works. A pistol isn't the best option but certainly a pistol caliber rifle would work. A .22 would probably work but I'd probably want a bit more for a raccoon. When I was a kid, I had to killed a rabid raccoon in the barn. I was given a shovel and my pellet gun. It wasn't pretty but the job got done.
Sure, but it's not like farmers and homesteaders were utterly at the mercy of raccoons before high-capacity semi-auto rifles became available.

The fact that weapons designed for killing multiple humans also kill annoying animals isn't an argument for their necessity.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ban assault weapons — and if we can’t, then we should raise the age to purchase them from 18 to 21.
Yep.

Ban high-capacity magazines.
Define "high capacity".

Strengthen background checks.
Yes, and have a national standard.

Enact safe storage laws and red flag laws.
Re: storage. It's like seatbelts. Saves lives but you have to force people to do it. This is a no-brainer.
There are already red flag laws in some.states. They need to be standardized and there needs to be a penalty for abuse.

Repeal gun manufacturers’ immunity from liability..

They aren't immune from liability. They are immune from liability when people commit crimes or are negligent with their products. If I buy a gun and it blows in my face under normal use, I can sue the manufacturer.

PLCCA.

The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) is a United States law that protects firearms manufacturers and dealers from being held liable when crimes have been committed with their products. Both arms manufacturers and dealers can still be held liable for damages resulting from defective products, breach of contract, criminal misconduct, and other actions for which they are directly responsible. They may also be held liable for negligent entrustment when they have reason to know a gun is intended for use in a crime.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:05 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:55 pm

Sure, but it's not like farmers and homesteaders were utterly at the mercy of raccoons before high-capacity semi-auto rifles became available.

The fact that weapons designed for killing multiple humans also kill annoying animals isn't an argument for their necessity.
I'm not arguing that they are necessary. I'm stating the opposite.
I'm also trying to educate.

In case it wasn't clear, shotguns work. Pistol caliber rifles work. Rifle caliber bolt action or lever rifles work. Pistols can do the job in a pinch. AR pattern rifles (or pistols) not required. It's a dumb defense by the 2A crowd.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case anyone was wondering

The House Judiciary Committee has voted the Protecting Our Kids Act — a package of gun control measures — out of committee. The vote was 25-19. All Republicans voted against the package.
H.R. 7910 would:

Raise the purchasing age for semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21
Ban the import, sale, manufacture, transfer or possession of high-capacity ammunition magazines (existing magazines would be “grandfathered” in); allow states and localities to compensate individuals who surrender high-capacity magazines through buyback programs
Beef up federal criminal penalties for gun trafficking and straw purchases
Establish voluntary best practices for safe firearms storage, including tax credits for purchasing safe storage devices
Establish requirements to regulate the storage of guns at home and criminal penalties for violating them
Require existing bump stocks be registered under the National Firearms Act; bar the manufacture, sale, or possession of new bump stocks for civilian use
Amend the definition of “ghost guns” to require background checks on all sales
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fingers crossed this backfires on them to some extent during elections.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:14 pm Fingers crossed this backfires on them to some extent during elections.
Are we still confident in the democratic process?

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:16 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:14 pm Fingers crossed this backfires on them to some extent during elections.
Are we still confident in the democratic process?
Seriously. Plus all indicators are looking like it will not matter who is responsible for how bad things get. The Democrats will take the brunt of blame in this election.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like to think the ship will eventually right itself as it has in previous times of dire stupidity. But perhaps that’s just wishful thinking at the end times.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Hey I know those kids getting killed was awful, guys, but have you SEEN the gas prices?