Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Shootings

Post by Pyperkub »

Busy weekend for mass shooting events in the Mass Shooting Capital of the World (civilian, at least).

Memphis

Mardi Gras

Indianapolis
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Meh. The 2a’ers have so dominated this issue in American politics and culture, that at this point nothing will change until they’ve had enough IMO.

They own this. Not even sure 3x current gun violence levels would sway them, so everybody hunker down! Move to Iraq!
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

I’d certainly be wagering they’d be coming for automatic guns next and reversing that ban. Then tanks…

In theory, if you pretend that “well regulated” means whatever the “individual” wants as the Supreme Court has ruled the 2nd amendment has no limit.

People really need to stop trying to pass the buck to 200 year dead men. We are “we the people” now, and we were meant to take control and responsibility for today, just like they did. We need to use our own judgment and make the law what we need it to be, that was the whole point of this system of government.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There isn't any 'event' that will change their minds, because their minds have taken to the idea that they can just rewrite unpleasant truths to suit their whims. We're not going to budge on the issue until the overall culture shifts, and that might take a century - decades at the least.

The other alternative would if the GOP got their 'full control' fantasy and didn't have to worry about reelection anymore. At that point, it is possible that guns would no longer be needed as a platform, but would be a potential threat to their power.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

You’d suspect that only party members would be “citizens” and only citizens could be protected by the constitution and have guns.

Also like their buddies Putin and Modi I suspect they would prefer the term “managed democracy”.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:00 pm The other alternative would if the GOP got their 'full control' fantasy and didn't have to worry about reelection anymore. At that point, it is possible that guns would no longer be needed as a platform, but would be a potential threat to their power.
Nah. Citizen guns would still be useful--maybe even more useful than ever--in keeping undesirable portions of the population in their place.

And that's really what they've always done. Since the beginning, the political effect of armed Americans has been to restrict the liberties of other Americans.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:00 pm There isn't any 'event' that will change their minds, because their minds have taken to the idea that they can just rewrite unpleasant truths to suit their whims. We're not going to budge on the issue until the overall culture shifts, and that might take a century - decades at the least.

The other alternative would if the GOP got their 'full control' fantasy and didn't have to worry about reelection anymore. At that point, it is possible that guns would no longer be needed as a platform, but would be a potential threat to their power.
Also, that people with Guns aren't always the most reasonable people. This bubbled up from an AITA reddit:
WIBTA for buying my partner (30M) gun safety training courses for the holidays?

OP began with some history.

“My partner has owned a few guns during our relationship that usually have been stuffed in a drawer or in a case.”

“I personally have never trusted his competency with using a gun. I believe he’s gone to maybe one or two gun ranges with friends in the past decade.”

“I didn’t grow up with guns and see no purpose in having one beyond hunting.”

“We’ve never had an event that has garnered the need for one.”

“We also live in a very safe neighborhood. However, my partner is quite paranoid about people breaking in.”

They explained their plan.

“I would like to get him a safety refresher course and range time as a gift this year.”

“I’m not sure how he’ll take that because I think he thinks he’s confident in his experience.”

“However there was a night months ago where he was examining his gun, removing the magazine, pulling back the slide on the chamber, all while hap hazardly pointing it in my direction multiple times while I stood in the room.”
I wonder how many of the Assault Rifle Pin wearing NRA employees in Congress regularly take gun safety courses and/or teach them.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just as an aside: One of my neighbors has a "Black guns matter" bumper sticker with a silhouette of an assault rifle. Da hell does that mean?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's an actual organization.

Black Guns Matter
Black Guns Matter is an organization aimed at educating African Americans about gun culture in the United States, primarily around defending Second Amendment rights. The organization is led by Maj Toure, who founded it in 2016. Black Guns Matter has hosted workshops in multiple cities to teach the basics of firearm safety, U.S. gun laws, and conflict resolution.
While African Americans predominantly support gun control, the 2016 election of former U.S. president Donald Trump sparked a wave of interest in firearm ownership. In this time, the National African American Gun Association saw a tripled increase in membership, attributed to a fear of heightened racial tensions and a perceived need for self defense. While still less likely to be gun owners than white Americans, interest in firearms among African Americans grew again in 2020 in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the George Floyd protests, Black Lives Matter, and renewed concerns around police brutality in the United States.

In 2016, Toure founded Black Guns Matter to prevent people from being arrested on what he believed to be avoidable gun possession charges due to a lack of knowledge on how to legally purchase and carry firearms; The organization takes its name from the Black Lives Matter social movement, both sharing similar criticism of police brutality. Toure has accused the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation of being a "sham organization" and a "money-laundering scheme" for the Democratic Party, and argued that it lacked financial transparency.
Maj Toure
Maj Toure (born Martin Anthony Jones) is an American libertarian political activist and rapper. Toure is closely associated with the Mises Caucus wing of the American Libertarian Party.

A native of North Philadelphia, Toure founded the educational nonprofit organization Black Guns Matter in 2016. The organization advocates for the right to keep and bear arms, and promotes responsible ownership of firearms within African-American and urban communities.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Interesting, thanks. If anything will make right-wingers rethink their stance on unlimited guns for everyone, it's large numbers of well-armed Black people.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:42 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:00 pm The other alternative would if the GOP got their 'full control' fantasy and didn't have to worry about reelection anymore. At that point, it is possible that guns would no longer be needed as a platform, but would be a potential threat to their power.
Nah. Citizen guns would still be useful--maybe even more useful than ever--in keeping undesirable portions of the population in their place.

And that's really what they've always done. Since the beginning, the political effect of armed Americans has been to restrict the liberties of other Americans.
The Pinkerton Detective Agency would like to have a word with you. If you would quietly step this way.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:42 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:00 pm There isn't any 'event' that will change their minds, because their minds have taken to the idea that they can just rewrite unpleasant truths to suit their whims. We're not going to budge on the issue until the overall culture shifts, and that might take a century - decades at the least.

Also, that people with Guns aren't always the most reasonable people. This bubbled up from an AITA reddit:
WIBTA for buying my partner (30M) gun safety training courses for the holidays?

OP began with some history.

“My partner has owned a few guns during our relationship that usually have been stuffed in a drawer or in a case.”

“I personally have never trusted his competency with using a gun. I believe he’s gone to maybe one or two gun ranges with friends in the past decade.”

“I didn’t grow up with guns and see no purpose in having one beyond hunting.”

“We’ve never had an event that has garnered the need for one.”

“We also live in a very safe neighborhood. However, my partner is quite paranoid about people breaking in.”

They explained their plan.

“I would like to get him a safety refresher course and range time as a gift this year.”

“I’m not sure how he’ll take that because I think he thinks he’s confident in his experience.”

“However there was a night months ago where he was examining his gun, removing the magazine, pulling back the slide on the chamber, all while hap hazardly pointing it in my direction multiple times while I stood in the room.”
I wonder how many of the Assault Rifle Pin wearing NRA employees in Congress regularly take gun safety courses and/or teach them.
Lots of people (men) can't swallow their egos long enough to take a gun class. They know all about guns somehow already and don't need someone telling them what to do. Taking a class would be an admission that they don't know everything.

Nevermind that shooting and handling and even cleaning are perishable skills that needs to be refreshed regularly.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

People
The co-founder of the Salt Life apparel brand pleaded guilty last Thursday to a manslaughter charge in the 2020 death of his 18-year-old girlfriend and was sentenced to 12 years in prison, court records show.

Michael Troy Hutto, now 56, fatally shot 18-year-old Lora Grace Duncan in October 2020, then told authorities it was an accident, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained by multiple outlets.

Duncan died from a single gunshot wound to the stomach. She was discovered by her father on Oct. 29 inside a room at the Hilton Singer Island oceanfront resort after her parents traced her cell phone there. The room was registered to Hutto, who according to Duncan's father, was in a romantic relationship with his daughter. Hutto was not present in the room with Duncan, but he had left his ID and wallet behind.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just another day in paradise.

3 dead, including baby, after 6 shot on I-57

A total of six people were shot. One of the victims has been identified as 1-year-old A-mara Hall, the medical examiner’s office said.

Two males, later identified as 13-year-old William Smith and 19-year-old Nasir Hall, were pronounced dead at the scene.

“We don’t know if this weapon had a switch on it or not but I do know that it’s multiple shooters and we need the public’s help in giving up information on the color of this vehicle.”

Apparently road rage has been ruled out.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

News crew covering previous shooting is shot with one crewperson killed

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:39 pm News crew covering previous shooting is shot with one crewperson killed

Florida...
An Orlando television reporter was among the dead in a shooting spree in Florida that killed three on Wednesday, while covering one of the shootings, police said.

Orange County Sheriff John Mina told a news conference that the employees worked for Spectrum News 13.

The sheriff’s office said earlier on Twitter that one person was in custody.

Keith Melvin Moses, 19, has been arrested and charged with murder in connection to a shooting Wednesday morning, Mina said. Moses is expected to be charged in four other shootings that occurred later in the day, including the killing of the Spectrum News 13 journalist, Mina added.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And yes, we still do have gang/ cartel mass shootings, and investigations

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/25/us/gang- ... index.html

This could bring a level of peace to Central California, at least for awhile...

Note the gun manufacturing component here..

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:29 pm

Note the gun manufacturing component here..
Almost certainly 80% AR-15s and/or Glock clones.

Only one part of a gun is serialized and regulated. If that part is 20% incomplete, it's not regulated (except in California but extremely easy to buy outside and drive into California). So they buy 80% receivers, drill them out to be 100%, and then just buy the rest of the parts (which are unregulated) online or wherever.

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

No words. Homeless man executed on camera in St Louis:
Horrific moment man casually loads his gun and executes homeless man on St Louis sidewalk with bullet to back of head: Suspect, 23, is charged with murder
Last edited by Pyperkub on Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Can we please find better sources that the Daily Mail, please?
Frightened St Louis residents say it is proof that local leaders including Soros-backed progressive Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner do not have a handle on the escalating crime.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:46 pm Can we please find better sources that the Daily Mail, please?
This. it's a tabloid. At best.

I don't even trust their blind date articles to be truthful. :lol:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Horrible. Also horrible? The completely unnecessary comments in the story blaming this on the "woke" district attorney.

Edit: Apparently others found taking this as a political opportunity as tasteless and ghoulish as I did.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:53 pm Edit: Apparently others found taking this as a political opportunity as tasteless and ghoulish as I did.
:coffee:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:46 pm Can we please find better sources that the Daily Mail, please?
Frightened St Louis residents say it is proof that local leaders including Soros-backed progressive Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner do not have a handle on the escalating crime.
Updated to msn

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:13 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:19 pm NBC News
Alex Murdaugh, the embattled South Carolina lawyer accused of plotting his own killing as part of a life insurance scheme, was denied bond Tuesday after facing new charges tied to the embezzling of millions of dollars related to the death of his housekeeper.
CNN
Disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh has been indicted for the 2021 murders of his wife and son by a Colleton County grand jury.
CNN
Alex Murdaugh was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole Friday for the murders of his wife and grown son – another chapter in the downfall of the disgraced attorney whose dynastic family had significant legal reach for decades in parts of South Carolina’s Lowcountry.

“Amazingly to have you come and testify that it was just another ordinary day. ‘My wife and son and I were out just enjoying life.’ Not credible. Not believable. You can convince yourself about it but obviously you have the inability to convince anyone else about that,” Judge Clifton Newman said moments before the sentencing.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Related to a shooting in Denver - the student body walked out and went to protest at the capitol building. One note - the shooting wasn't actually *at the school* but nearby. It killed a student who studied at this school.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Waiting in line to get through security. That is the correct way to storm a government building.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

What I see there is that the politicians seem to have gun control measures in place to protect themselves.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I want the legal voting age dropped to at least 15.

That’s about the age where most kids are ready to own their own opinion beyond just adopting their parents (which is my sole concern when thinking of an age limit)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jon Stewart Interviews Oklahoma St Senator who sponsors bills to loosen gun regulations - he raises some great points:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Three children and three adults killed by female shooter at Nashville elementary school

Police later said the shooter was a 28-year-old woman, adding that it was not known if she was connected to the school.

Aaron said: “We know that she was armed with at least two assault-type rifles and a handgun. We are [making efforts] now to identify her.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Andy Ogles is the Congressional Rep for the Tennesse district where the school is located.

His most recent Christmas card photo (allegedly, I haven't actually seen a card):
Spoiler:

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Well that’s different. Bound to happen considering the sheer number of mass shootings, though.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:57 pm Andy Ogles is the Congressional Rep for the Tennesse district where the school is located.

His most recent Christmas card photo (allegedly, I haven't actually seen a card):
Spoiler:
Um...at least they have good trigger discipline?

:doh:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:02 pm Well that’s different. Bound to happen considering the sheer number of mass shootings, though.
I'm sure by tonight you'll start hearing people question the shooter's sexual identity.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:08 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:02 pm Well that’s different. Bound to happen considering the sheer number of mass shootings, though.
I'm sure by tonight you'll start hearing people question the shooter's sexual identity.
What would cause the long delay?
/cynicism
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Already seeing this blamed on “unlocked doors”, the fact that the teachers weren’t armed themselves, and that the school didn’t have an armed resource officer on-site.

I’m sure all the extra heavy-duty “thoughts and prayers” shipments are on their way to Nashville as we speak.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

How long until we start to start honor them for how they died for our freedom?
Last edited by malchior on Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hyena wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:05 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:57 pm Andy Ogles is the Congressional Rep for the Tennesse district where the school is located.

Spoiler:
Um...at least they have good trigger discipline?

:doh:
Using guns as props kind of kills that.

MYT